View Quote

Let's see-

Red hair?      Check
Blue eyes?   Check
Translucent skin?  Check
White eyebrows?  Check

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:19:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Just got back from a quick ruck. It's hard to be gone for more than an hour. Any more than that, and I need long sleeves and a goofy hat to keep from being burned. CA sun is pretty intense this time of year. I tan pretty well but try to keep the sun spots I get to an ugly minimum.

I couldn't imagine the fear of the sun because I was born a fire crotch.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:24:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I hate the cold. 110 is fine
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:24:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm right there with ya bud.  In the 90s, hiding from the sun.  I wear long sleeve fishing shirts and a good hat.  The sun burns yer skin, feels like little needles.  BULL FROG sunscreen.  When it gets any hotter especially with those high humidity index I always go to Albertson's beer cooler  the humidity is  going down some not a lot of moisture in the ground to raise the index.  Tons of fires though.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:25:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Beautiful sunny day today, highs of 93 and about 15% humidity.  I'll be sitting at the desk most of the day letting the air conditioner do it's magical wonders and staying out of the sun.  

I just bought my 14yo son a new bow last night and he's out playing with it without me.

Come on September...  I've missed you.

View Quote

15% humidity and you're crying?
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:29:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Beautiful sunny day today, highs of 93 and about 15% humidity.  I'll be sitting at the desk most of the day letting the air conditioner do it's magical wonders and staying out of the sun.  

I just bought my 14yo son a new bow last night and he's out playing with it without me.

No, can't you read?

It's not tight-time so I'm crying

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:26:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No, can't you read?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, can't you read?

Wait, now I'm not sure if I can't read or if you can't type.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:32:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm not as sensitive as you, but I am getting old, and have had a history of burning my English/Irish skin. Polyester long sleeve golf shirts and wide brim hats are your friend.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:34:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
91 here. 51% humidity. Nice and cloudy with a breeze. Not too awful bad.
View Quote

97 here today, with humidity over 90%...
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:38:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I live in Houston, my AC went out yesterday, tech won't be here until tomorrow AM.

It's hotter inside than out.

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:43:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
91 here. 51% humidity. Nice and cloudy with a breeze. Not too awful bad.

That's uninhabitable without good air conditioning. You can keep it.

It's 99 here today with 18% humidity. In the shade, you just need a cool drink and a good veiw to keep comfortable.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:59:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Nailed it. I work outside, year round all over the country. I absolutely loathe winter unless I'm in the Deep South. Summertime is best time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
bunch of pussies in this thread.

Nailed it. I work outside, year round all over the country. I absolutely loathe winter unless I'm in the Deep South. Summertime is best time.

I LOVE winter. Finally have a membership to a gun club (outdoor ranges). I'm SO looking forward to shooting outside in the winter!  Yes, I am wierd. ;)

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:04:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I have bad eczema.

Fuck it.   Just drink heavily while the sun and sweat fuck you up.  

FUCK IT.   That;s what I did this afternon.   Fucked it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:10:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm not as sensitive as you, but I am getting old, and have had a history of burning my English/Irish skin. Polyester long sleeve golf shirts and wide brim hats are your friend.

View Quote

You look a lot darker than me in your picture.

At work I have to wear a long-sleeved heavy cotton FR shirt.  It's so uncomfortable it's unreal.  Before I go back out of town I'm ordering a cowboy hat style hard hat, haven't figured out how I'm going to get it on the plane yet, but I'll figure something out.

For all the comments about what a pussy I am....  I know.  It hurts some but the real problem is I just don't want to be out there in the heat.  There are only a few things that can motivate me to be in the sun-  it's a phobia  And it sucks.  Some people can't go into deep water, high balconies, boating, etc.  I can't go in the sun on a hot, sunny day.

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:14:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I live in Houston, my AC went out yesterday, tech won't be here until tomorrow AM.

View Quote

F that.

Hotel.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:21:15 PM EDT
[#16]
This seems like a really good excuse to build an indoor archery range, I have always kind of wanted one myself.

If it is all phobia, it is possible to overcome in many cases.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:23:19 PM EDT
[#17]
High of 57 here today
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:23:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This seems like a really good excuse to build an indoor archery range, I have always kind of wanted one myself.

If it is all phobia, it is possible to overcome in many cases.
View Quote

I think a budget indoor pistol range makes a lot more sense.  My coach on the univeristy shooting team had one- 3' concrete sewer pipe buried in the back yard and stubbed into the basement.  A pulley system along the top for targets and a light at the end that shined on the target papers.  Sloped steel into a big pile of sand for a bullet trap and he was done.  We shot .22, .45 and .38 super in his basement.

And it's not all phobia- it hurts.  After I get pretty warmed up my hands and legs start itching and face lights up like a Christmas ornament.  But it's not bad enough to never go out, but I let my yard die two years ago when I was doing a lot of remodeling and tearing out sidewalks, etc.  It's still dead because I've been out of town in the spring and fall and simply won't go work on it in the heat.  Our house almost looks abandoned this year

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:24:16 PM EDT
[#19]
My step mom was burned on ~30% of her body on one side.  Her arm, torso, leg and neck had skin grafts.  I've talked to her about it a couple of times and one of the things I remember her saying most was that she really missed out on a lot of stuff b/c she didn't like to go outside for over a decade.  After talking with her about it, I completely understand the thought process.  She was super protective of her skin grafts; with them being so sensitive and her doctors saying she could have to get them again if they got fucked up, she stopped going outside out of fear of having to do all the surgeries and pain again.  And of course, she doesn't sweat properly, which makes things worse and makes things feel worse.

Took her a long time before she started going outside again - she used to be the beach girl in the bikini, but she had to change all that and be almost completely covered and stay outside for certain periods.  One thing she did say is new clothing materials really helped out - thinner fabrics that protect better and let body heat out are awesome and at one point, she actually kept a spray bottle on her to keep the shirt over her scars wet.  Apparently this helped keep the burned area from being so sensitive.  She doesn't do it now though - not sure what changed, if anything.

While I don't remember the extent of your burns or skin grafts, I do remember the story.  And while I'll never truly understand, I empathize man.  Step mom is darker skin than me (also super ginger) and I have enough of a time out in the sun.  I can't imagine doing it with grafts.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:31:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Give me a chilly, overcast day anytime. Screw you, sun!

Mid morning is the worst for me, the humidity is still high and when the sun starts beating down, pure misery. I hate morning sun.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:32:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My step mom was burned on ~30% of her body on one side.  Her arm, torso, leg and neck had skin grafts.  I've talked to her about it a couple of times and one of the things I remember her saying most was that she really missed out on a lot of stuff b/c she didn't like to go outside for over a decade.  After talking with her about it, I completely understand the thought process.  She was super protective of her skin grafts; with them being so sensitive and her doctors saying she could have to get them again if they got fucked up, she stopped going outside out of fear of having to do all the surgeries and pain again.  And of course, she doesn't sweat properly, which makes things worse and makes things feel worse.

Took her a long time before she started going outside again - she used to be the beach girl in the bikini, but she had to change all that and be almost completely covered and stay outside for certain periods.  One thing she did say is new clothing materials really helped out - thinner fabrics that protect better and let body heat out are awesome and at one point, she actually kept a spray bottle on her to keep the shirt over her scars wet.  Apparently this helped keep the burned area from being so sensitive.  She doesn't do it now though - not sure what changed, if anything.

While I don't remember the extent of your burns or skin grafts, I do remember the story.  And while I'll never truly understand, I empathize man.  Step mom is darker skin than me (also super ginger) and I have enough of a time out in the sun.  I can't imagine doing it with grafts.
View Quote

yep, I know exactly what she's feeling.  Suddenly the sun isn't your friend anymore, it represents pain.  The only place to hide is where the sun can't find you.

I'm 15 years out this year and the grafts don't really hurt, neither does the face (both hurt more than they used to, but it's not like I'm screaming in agony), but it's pretty damned uncomfortable.  But I think it's the fear of it that's become more debilitating that the actual pain, and the frustration of that is really what prompted this thread.  I'm scared of being outside and I'm finally sick of being scared of it.  

I do remember the first summer I went outside after being burned.  We lived at 7500' in New Mexico.  First nice warm spring day I sat outside for my lunch break and got one of the worst sunburns on my face I've ever had, like people stopped to stare type bad.  Think of a tomato on a human body, give it eyes and hair.  That was me.  It felt so good to be outside, but I think that did more damage to my psyche than anything else.

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:33:25 PM EDT
[#22]
96 degrees with 70% humidity today, heat index was 112 degrees. Felt like being in a pressure cooker outside.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:35:19 PM EDT
[#23]
OP, you are not a pussy! You have a legitimate reason(the pain and discomfort), and further more, having read your story......YOU ARE A FUCKING HERO! Even if you don't think so, your kids do I am sure.....I do as well!
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:41:39 PM EDT
[#24]
108 degree garage and a little sun for 12 hours today. I've had 3 showers, gone through 2 t-shirts, 2 pairs of shorts and 2 pairs of boxer briefs. FFFUUUUU
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:42:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I came out of my cave today to go to a local pool. Was in the water for maybe 20 minutes tops. Even with sunscreen, I turned into lobsterman. I hate hot weather as much as I hate snow. Give me an overcast day with high 60s temps and I'll be happy. I have a scar on my shoulder that reacts to sunlight, and right now, it hurts to touch it.

And I want to move to Los Alamos.... The hell am I thinking...
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:56:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Let's see-

Red hair?      Check

Blue eyes?   Check

Translucent skin?  Check

White eyebrows?  Check

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

OP, you're a ginger aren't you?

Let's see-

Red hair?      Check

Blue eyes?   Check

Translucent skin?  Check

White eyebrows?  Check

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:59:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Working nights I look forward to cold rainy days. I sleep like a champ.

Snow is just as good.

I HATE sweating and yes, I'm a pussy.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:07:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
OP, you are not a pussy! You have a legitimate reason(the pain and discomfort), and further more, having read your story......YOU ARE A FUCKING HERO! Even if you don't think so, your kids do I am sure.....I do as well!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks man, very nice of you.  My kids think they don't need to do dishes, the don't think of the rest very much, thankfully.

Quoted:
I came out of my cave today to go to a local pool. Was in the water for maybe 20 minutes tops. Even with sunscreen, I turned into lobsterman. I hate hot weather as much as I hate snow. Give me an overcast day with high 60s temps and I'll be happy. I have a scar on my shoulder that reacts to sunlight, and right now, it hurts to touch it.

And I want to move to Los Alamos.... The hell am I thinking...

Los Alamos is the second nicest place I've ever lived.  I did research there for the lab when I was a grad student, what an amazing place.  Awesome biking, hiking, hunting, fishing, etc.  Great climate, I really liked the town a lot too. Whiterock was also a really sleepy place with a bunch of nerd families working for the lab.

A lot of people there didn't like it, but I'm a small town sort of a guy and I loved it.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:12:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Summer is the worst. It's too fucking hot and there's always bugs trying to fly in my face.

I can't wait till everything starts to die and freeze.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:15:14 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm a ginger too. Summer sucks ass when it only takes 15 minutes to get pink from being in the sun. I need to move to AK, I don't need the sun to produce vitamin D . I would have no problems being a vampire.

One time I was on some medicine that made me sensitive to the sun. Burned through SPF 45 sunscreen.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:20:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Loser
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:21:10 AM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:24:49 AM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

If that crawled out of the sea I would have the harpoon ready.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:31:12 AM EDT
[#34]

That version really looks good.  I like it.

How come you don't answer texts anymore?  I was by your house at lunchtime a few weeks ago.

Edit- ear muff compatible?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:09:40 AM EDT
[#35]
It's 3:08 am and the temp is 72 with 96% humidity. Step outside and your drenched within 5 minutes
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:12:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just came to this thread to check your state. it isn't AZ.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:14:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Well shoot I just spent a week at lake Powell in the sun.  You would have hated it.

How's the wrist ready to start lifting again full power!!?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:48:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Well shoot I just spent a week at lake Powell in the sun.  You would have hated it.

How's the wrist ready to start lifting again full power!!?
View Quote

I was invited to Powell for this weekend.  I haven't been there in 10 years, it sounds like torture.  Hope you enjoyed it!  Lots of water skiing?  It's a pretty cool place and with the warm water the kids have a blast.

Wrist is terrible.  It's like it hasn't healed a bit in 4 months.  I saw a chiropractor in Wisconsin who popped it 6 times over two weeks and it hurts less when he's done, but I'm not sure it's a real fix either.

What a mess.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:48:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Hats, sun block, long sleeves and pants all help.  Its the heat and radiation that hurts, I just can't be in it for long and I have developed a phobia of it.  For example, today I only want to go have fun outside.  Fun isn't enough motivation to get outside, but last week I was outside for work and was able to do it for a while, but ended up with some pretty impressive sunburns too.

Also, I live at 6000ft so the sun seems to hurt more here than at sea level.

I really have a phobia problem.  I hate the summer sun.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sun block no help?

Plastidip your body and go outside!

Hats, sun block, long sleeves and pants all help.  Its the heat and radiation that hurts, I just can't be in it for long and I have developed a phobia of it.  For example, today I only want to go have fun outside.  Fun isn't enough motivation to get outside, but last week I was outside for work and was able to do it for a while, but ended up with some pretty impressive sunburns too.

Also, I live at 6000ft so the sun seems to hurt more here than at sea level.

I really have a phobia problem.  I hate the summer sun.

I think you're right.
the thinner air and les pollution in less-developed states like UT make the sun a little stronger.
I'm dark and nearly immune to sunburn under normal circumstances, but being shirtless at 8K in NW WY made me feel some heat.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:50:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

that's bad.
I've lived in Houston, and it's just oppressive in the summer. High heat and high humidity make it downright dangerous for anyone who isn't in good health.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

How come you don't answer texts anymore?  I was by your house at lunchtime a few weeks ago.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

you should look into some of those fishing shirts that have an SPF rating.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:53:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Checking in from the beach.  95 and the waves are perfect
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:22:47 PM EDT
[#43]
I hear you OP. It's triple digits here and will be for another week. It's best to stay out of the sun and I wish i had more over the years. Went out this morning and got the lawn, trimmed and weeded. Although the grass is smoked, it was still looking bad and overgrown in parts. Then had to change the filter in the attic AC unit. That thing is just not cooling in this heat.

My daughter has the fairest skin and is so sensitive to sun tan lotion she can't use it. No real sun activities for her and us this time of year. So, we are resigned to inside in the heat. No big deal.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 12:30:41 PM EDT
[#44]
I hid from the heat the last few years. This year I got an Intex easy set 30" pool for the dogs to play in. I put it up on weekends. I like being outside throwing the ball. You inevitably get wet and it doesn't feel hot out. But that only solves the heat problem, not the sun problem.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:16:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Op don't be a pussy. I am a roofing contractor and have to work out in the heat everyday.   All this week it's supposed to be 105 or higher.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Summer is my favorite season...

Screw Cold!

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:25:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

At work I have to wear a long-sleeved heavy cotton FR shirt.  It's so uncomfortable it's unreal.  Before I go back out of town I'm ordering a cowboy hat style hard hat, haven't figured out how I'm going to get it on the plane yet, but I'll figure something out.

For all the comments about what a pussy I am....  I know.  It hurts some but the real problem is I just don't want to be out there in the heat.  There are only a few things that can motivate me to be in the sun-  it's a phobia  And it sucks.  Some people can't go into deep water, high balconies, boating, etc.  I can't go in the sun on a hot, sunny day.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't mind the heat, I just have to be careful in the sun. Cotton (without special treatment) sucks as UV protection but it may be enough given your skin and the time you expect to be in the sun.. Made from oil is the way to go. Lycra, spandex, polyester or nylon are much preferred. Poly and nylon are going to be the most common in hot weather UV clothing.

Young dudes are likely rolling their eyes now, but like myself, the older crew wishes they did a better job when young.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:37:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Still a wuss though  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was gonna call you a wuss until I saw it was the poster who walked through a house fire to save his daughter.

Still a wuss though  

True.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:44:14 PM EDT
[#49]
He just doesn't like you.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:46:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can wear cowboy style hard hats? Safety guys hate those.

Our guys use the clip on sunshade thingy. Since I'm an office rat that only gets in the field occasionally, I don't worry about it. Of course, I love the sun. The only time I wear a shirt in the summer is when I leave the house.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top