Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:09:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:10:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"Do you know why I stopped you?""Couldn't get a job with the Fire Department?"

I usually start off with that before telling a cop I have a gun.
View Quote

Similar but I also ask if I'm being detained.  I mean that's the right thing to do correct?.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:10:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This from a state that's not sure if its new "no guns" signs have the force of law, and a certain sheriff was caught giving them out to businesses.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
According to Mobile Co. sheriff  Sam Cochran. There is no duty to inform in Alabama.

This from a state that's not sure if its new "no guns" signs have the force of law, and a certain sheriff was caught giving them out to businesses.

Someone seems a bit jelly and didn't seem to want to mention our 30 round mags.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
"Do you know why I stopped you?""Couldn't get a job with the Fire Department?"

I usually start off with that before telling a cop I have a gun.
View Quote

LOL and that is true for many of them!!!  
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:13:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:14:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Don't pull me over under the guise of public safety when it's really revenue collection.

Don't disarm me.

Don't ask to search my vehicle.

How's that?
View Quote

It's not revenue generation it's "safety".  That's why the pull over speeders and ignore folks putting on make up or shaving in their mirrors while driving.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#7]
This topic is a regular part of the discussions in my gun classes.  My assistant, a 40 year practicing attorney, always advises our students to disclose their ccw permit to L.E. during a traffic stop for all the same reasons that have been presented here, already.

I always caution against doing so as in Colorado, there is no duty to inform.  One might say we are presenting a divided front to our students and leaving them possibly confused.  I prefer to think that we are presenting options and reasons that support those options, allowing them to decide best case/worst case based on the scenario they find themselves in at any given time.

After reading this thread and similar threads here, over the years, I remain convinced our methods are appropriate and sound.

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:19:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Some pro 2A cops here in states where it isn't required have said in the past that they don't care if the person doesn't inform because that's the law so I'm not seeing the big deal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not a chess game, it's following the state law. If he isn't asking, I'm not telling.

Some pro 2A cops here in states where it isn't required have said in the past that they don't care if the person doesn't inform because that's the law so I'm not seeing the big deal.

Matches up with my experience. I know several State Troopers around here and that's their attitude, they don't care if you're carrying or not if their only interaction with you is a non-heated conversation about a moving violation.

Pull an attitude with them or act twitchy as shit (either of which is not the same as simply not informing as soon as he steps up to your window) on a simple traffic stop as soon as you start the interaction, then yeah they'll probably ask, otherwise they really don't care.

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:20:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's only because you're a New Yawkah.  We all hate your ass down here.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why take the chance if I don't have to?
ETA: Especially considering all the warnings I got from GA HTF members about the PDs/cops in my area when I moved here.

That's only because you're a New Yawkah.  We all hate your ass down here.  

Like I said, why take a chance?
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:25:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:34:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
CCW Weekend: What Police Want From Concealed Carriers During A Traffic Stop

If police pull over a person that is legally carrying a concealed firearm, what should such a person do? That’s a question that gets asked a lot. Many concealed carriers pride themselves on being law-abiding citizens, and given that they have a gun on them, how best to act when interacting with police is a good thing to know.

If pulled over, relax. Assistant Police Chief Michael Ward of the Bradford, Penn., Police Department told The Bradford Era that any motorist stopped by police should first relax and take a breath. Police officers don’t know what to expect from a traffic stop and are human, too. Captain Brent Allred of the Wichita Police told the Wichita Eagle that motorists should relax and be as forthcoming as possible. Nervous and twitchy people tend to make officers more nervous in turn.

Declare that you have a concealed carry license and a concealed pistol. Virginia State Trooper Alan Kelly told Britsol, Va., ABC affiliate WCYB that, “we do not like surprises” and to inform an officer of the permit.

Spokane, Wash., ABC affiliate KXLY quoted Chief Lee Bennett of the Airway Heights Police Department as saying it is best to “declare that you have a concealed pistol license and where the weapon is.” This same sentiment was echoed by the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office, of Loudoun County, Va., from their Facebook page in the wake of the Philando Castile shooting. A similar view was echoed by Police Chief Scott Marchand of Pocatello, Idaho, in the Idaho State Journal after that state enacted its constitutional carry law.

It is also recommended to hand over your permit along with your driver’s license.

Keep your hands in plain view. Chief Bennett advises that concealed carriers stopped by police to keep their hands on the steering wheel unless ordered to do something else. The Loudoun County Sheriffs’ Office recommends having the window all the way down, hands at 10 and 2 on the wheel and to have the dome light on.

Wait for the officer to give you instructions and when you comply, do so slowly and in plain sight.

View Quote

Lot of good information/recommendations in this article.
View Quote

The two times I got stopped with mine I just handed my CCW card to them with my drivers license.  They asked if I was carrying and where and that was that.  I liked that better than telling them basically, "I have a gun."
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:35:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:40:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've been pulled over 8-10 times in the decade that I've been carrying and not gotten a single ticket.

Windows down
Engine off
Hands on wheel with license and CHL in hand
Nothing gun related in the same place as insurance info is located
Polite, look him in the eye
"You carrying right now?" "Yessir 4 o clock on the belt"

Never had a single ticket or an ounce of trouble.

View Quote

I've been pulled over three times - while driving a Class C vehicle - since I've had my CHL. I've handed the Officer my CHL with my Class A Driver's License and have been issued a "warning" all three times. No tickets. You would be surprised what some courtesy  will get you. I was never asked if I was carrying, I'm sure they felt it was implied by me handing them the CHL. One Officer actually thanked me for providing him with my CHL. I don't have a beef with the police, I deserved to be pulled over all three times. They were minor infractions - cell phone, rolling stop, 5 over - but, they were infractions.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 1:46:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

How is not saying anything "pulling an attitude"? No one said to start yelling "Am I being detained?!?!?!?"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I dont get this "im not telling anyone unless they ask" mentality..
if you have a CCW then you've already submitted to the law, dont be an idiot and pull that attitude with a cop.

How is not saying anything "pulling an attitude"? No one said to start yelling "Am I being detained?!?!?!?"

Shut up and learn civilian.

What clue do you have about what those men in blue go through.

You're a sovereign, aren't you.

Txl

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 1:57:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
"Asallamalykim.  Black lives matter. How can I help you officer fig pucker?"

View Quote

Oops.

My chl has got me way more warnings for an occasional infraction of the speed limit, than just being polite.

Txl
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 1:58:09 PM EDT
[#16]
If you get pulled over in SC and the officer asks for DL and registration, you are required by law to inform them.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:10:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

you DO realize that you're assuming that every cop that pulls you over is like THAT asshole, RIGHT??
(that's just as bad as them assuming that everyone with a gun is a criminal that needs to be disarmed..)

and we wonder why "innocent" people get treated like shit.. a very small percentage of the cops are assholes, but most of the people that get pulled over ARE assholes..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
More than one LEO on this site has posted that they disarm people legally carrying and run their guns when they encounter them on traffic stops as SOP.
I remember Bama strongly disagreeing with one of them when he posted it.

you DO realize that you're assuming that every cop that pulls you over is like THAT asshole, RIGHT??
(that's just as bad as them assuming that everyone with a gun is a criminal that needs to be disarmed..)

and we wonder why "innocent" people get treated like shit.. a very small percentage of the cops are assholes, but most of the people that get pulled over ARE assholes..

Haha this reminds me of this polite trooper and an asshat up here...

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Don't interject logic here, this type of thread attracts the "fuck you, 'cause 'merica" types as you can tell... They're not in "learning mode"..

I have a lead foot, it's ok... When I'm pulled over I know I'm guilty, I don't try to act like the cop is only targeting me because I drive a nice car..
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Look, here's how it works.  I'm a State Trooper.  I've disarmed exactly one person that was legally carrying.  The reason was it was late, she was broken down, had kids in the car, was extremely nervous, and had the firearm on the seat out of its holster.  Due to how freaked out she was that she was broken down, I temporarily held onto to her firearm until the tow truck arrived, because I didn't want her to freak out and shoot me or the tow truck driver.  Outside of that one time I have never disarmed anyone that was legally carrying.  I am not afraid of being shot by the firearm I know about, it's the one I don't know about that will get me dead.  The normal conversation goes like this:

Me: I'm Trooper Airwing_Jarhead and I stopped you for (and I give the reason). I also need to let you know we are being audio and video recorded.

Them:  Ok.  I have my carry permit and a gun in the vehicle.

Me: Ok.  Where is the gun located?

Them: It's at location X y or z

Me:. Ok, not a problem.  If you keep your hands away from yours I'll keep my hands away from mine.

Them:. Sounds good.

But now if I see a gun and you haven't even told me you have a carry permit, well let's just say I'll no longer be Trooper Friendly.

Don't interject logic here, this type of thread attracts the "fuck you, 'cause 'merica" types as you can tell... They're not in "learning mode"..

Quoted:

What on earth do you base that opinion(made up statistic) on? And since you have been pulled over and ticketed more than I have over the last twenty years, does that mean there is a greater likelihood of you being an asshole?

You want to do it your way, that's fine. But to imply that not informing when you don't have to is either foolish, copping  an attitude or puts you at greater risk, is absurd.

I have a lead foot, it's ok... When I'm pulled over I know I'm guilty, I don't try to act like the cop is only targeting me because I drive a nice car..
Judging by your posts in this thread, you wouldn't know logic if it fell out of the sky and hit you in the head.

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:30:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Last CCW class I took last year.

Taught my an LEO stated that here, we do not have to inform the officer.

I asked I few times for clarification because I had recalled you had a duty to inform...

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:38:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

if you're not in violation, why not?

this kind of "chess game" with the police is EXACTLY WHY shit escalates..

if everybody respected the law, shootings would almost never happen..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
attitude is FUCKING EVERYTHING when dealing with LEOs...

There is no duty to inform.  Why inform?

Which law is that?
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:42:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

More than one LEO on this site has posted that they disarm people legally carrying and run their guns when they encounter them on traffic stops as SOP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't have any obligation to inform in my state, so I quit doing after the time my gun was taken and checked for being stolen, ammo removed from my magazines and given back to me after 45 minutes.

You and I are in the same state  
Yet, due to the way you acted, you were put through this rigamarole and I've NEVER been put through it (probably) because I was upfront and had a good attitude.

I thought Bama said he disarms and cuffs any carriers he stops, I may be mistaken but it was in a thread talking about cuffing people on the side of the road is not a detention or something like that, kinda shocked me.
*bold part happens a lot
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:46:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because I'm not required to. And I don't want to turn a 10 minute traffic stop into an hour of something else. I can do that and still be polite/respectful of the law and the officer.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:50:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:51:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought Bama said he disarms and cuffs any carriers he stops, I may be mistaken.....
View Quote

Yeah you're thinking of someone else.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:53:05 PM EDT
[#26]
When I was the one standing outside the window, I always appreciated a driver telling me about the gun before I saw it. That pretty much always ended with "Okay, just leave it put away where it is" followed by the driver getting a warning rather than paper for whatever the issue was.

When I'm the one inside the car, unless the officer has his head completely up his ass he'll see it as soon as I reach for my wallet for my DL, so I do the hands-on-wheel, "I'm armed, it's on my right hip and I have to reach past it to get to my license, what do you want me to do?" thing.

Even in Denver I've never had an officer draw on me, blade at 45, create joinder, or whatever the hell it is that people keep posting CSBs about and getting shot over.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:55:20 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How is not informing disrespectful of the law? You either follow the law, or you don't.

The black dude from MN, from his perspective, was doing what your suggest, and he still got to room temperature prematurely.

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:35:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yeah, I don't know that I'd use that guy as a role model.  

That trooper was actually kind of a d*ck.  It's true he was being verbally abused by the guy... but listen to his tone of voice.  The trooper was deliberately being passive-aggressive and baiting the motorist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://youtu.be/GXY2fImfr7Y

That trooper was actually kind of a d*ck.  It's true he was being verbally abused by the guy... but listen to his tone of voice.  The trooper was deliberately being passive-aggressive and baiting the motorist.

Ehh guess I did t see it that way,  since I'd probably be the same way..
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:48:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Always have informed, never had a problem.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:52:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

you and I are in the same state  

yet, due to the way you acted, you were put through this rigamarole and I've NEVER been put through it (probably) because I was upfront and had a good attitude..

ONE time when I was pulled over, I was asked to leave the vehicle and directed the officers to my firearm(s).  once they retrived them they let me get back in the vehicle.
and continued with the ticket.

it didn't bother me one bit.
if it would bother you, youre probably showing attitude whether you know it or not (most people with a shitty attitude either dont realize it or dont care).

you keep doing what youre doing and you'll keep getting what you've been getting..

I'm doing what I've always done because 6or7 out of 10 times that I've been pulled over in the last 20 years, I've been given a warning and not a ticket..

it takes me less than 10 seconds to get them out, I've never been pulled over when a cop was at my window in less than 30 seconds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't have any obligation to inform in my state, so I quit doing after the time my gun was taken and checked for being stolen, ammo removed from my magazines and given back to me after 45 minutes.

you and I are in the same state  

yet, due to the way you acted, you were put through this rigamarole and I've NEVER been put through it (probably) because I was upfront and had a good attitude..

ONE time when I was pulled over, I was asked to leave the vehicle and directed the officers to my firearm(s).  once they retrived them they let me get back in the vehicle.
and continued with the ticket.

it didn't bother me one bit.
if it would bother you, youre probably showing attitude whether you know it or not (most people with a shitty attitude either dont realize it or dont care).

you keep doing what youre doing and you'll keep getting what you've been getting..

I'm doing what I've always done because 6or7 out of 10 times that I've been pulled over in the last 20 years, I've been given a warning and not a ticket..
Quoted:
how do you have your DL and CHL in your hand by the time the cop gets to your vehicle. both are buried in my wallet so do I drive slowly while digging at my ass to get my wallet then steer with my knee while finding both before pulling over? yeah, thatll make the officer non suspicious and in a real good mood.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

it takes me less than 10 seconds to get them out, I've never been pulled over when a cop was at my window in less than 30 seconds.

Maybe you should focus on following traffic laws and then it's a moot point.  How do you guys get pulled over so much?
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:55:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was fired IIRC.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:57:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
They can go fuck themselves.  I don't  say shit to them unless they ask a question.
Than I answer as direct as possible.  No more no less.
View Quote

Man, you are so bad ass.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 4:12:00 PM EDT
[#33]
In Colorado, your car is an extension of your home, you can carry open or concealed with no permit.  Except in the communist town of Denver.  I wouldn't mention having a weapon unless asked.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 4:33:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
In Colorado, your car is an extension of your home, you can carry open or concealed with no permit.  Except in the communist town of Denver.  I wouldn't mention having a weapon unless asked.
View Quote

Where does this crap come from?

The words "extension of your home" does not appear anywhere in the parts of CRS that apply to weapons. The reason why car carry is as legal as it is, is because of a specific state statute stating that "it shall not be a crime" to CCW in a car "for protection of persons or property while travelling."
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 4:37:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 4:41:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It's always good to surprise a cop with a gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
CCW Weekend: What Police Want From Concealed Carriers During A Traffic Stop

If police pull over a person that is legally carrying a concealed firearm, what should such a person do? That’s a question that gets asked a lot. Many concealed carriers pride themselves on being law-abiding citizens, and given that they have a gun on them, how best to act when interacting with police is a good thing to know.

If pulled over, relax. Assistant Police Chief Michael Ward of the Bradford, Penn., Police Department told The Bradford Era that any motorist stopped by police should first relax and take a breath. Police officers don’t know what to expect from a traffic stop and are human, too. Captain Brent Allred of the Wichita Police told the Wichita Eagle that motorists should relax and be as forthcoming as possible. Nervous and twitchy people tend to make officers more nervous in turn.

Declare that you have a concealed carry license and a concealed pistol. Virginia State Trooper Alan Kelly told Britsol, Va., ABC affiliate WCYB that, “we do not like surprises” and to inform an officer of the permit.

Spokane, Wash., ABC affiliate KXLY quoted Chief Lee Bennett of the Airway Heights Police Department as saying it is best to “declare that you have a concealed pistol license and where the weapon is.” This same sentiment was echoed by the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office, of Loudoun County, Va., from their Facebook page in the wake of the Philando Castile shooting. A similar view was echoed by Police Chief Scott Marchand of Pocatello, Idaho, in the Idaho State Journal after that state enacted its constitutional carry law.

It is also recommended to hand over your permit along with your driver’s license.

Keep your hands in plain view. Chief Bennett advises that concealed carriers stopped by police to keep their hands on the steering wheel unless ordered to do something else. The Loudoun County Sheriffs’ Office recommends having the window all the way down, hands at 10 and 2 on the wheel and to have the dome light on.

Wait for the officer to give you instructions and when you comply, do so slowly and in plain sight.

Lot of good information/recommendations in this article.

Not going to read the article right now but the part you posted is full of bullshit.

I'm not going to say anything unless required or inquired.

It's always good to surprise a cop with a gun.

Yes, best done by shouting"I have a gun!" Then quickly reaching for your wallet
Paranoia isn't illegal, but it might get you killed.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 4:43:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
how do you have your DL and CHL in your hand by the time the cop gets to your vehicle. both are buried in my wallet so do I drive slowly while digging at my ass to get my wallet then steer with my knee while finding both before pulling over? yeah, thatll make the officer non suspicious and in a real good mood.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

You need less complicated pants if it takes you that long to get out your wallet
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That "mentality" is not an attitude, its the LAW in many places, and with good reasoning behind it.

What I don't get, is the attitude "anyone with a gun is a potential felon and will kill me", and then projecting that onto law abiding citizens on the side of the road.  Being guilty of a traffic violation does not equal being a murderer.

I do agree, that attitude is everything.  However, even a good attitude won't isolate you from an overbearing, fascist, azzhole, with the state's power/authority...and a gun, who wants to disarm you on the side of the road, then steal your legally owned property and means of defense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I dont get this "im not telling anyone unless they ask" mentality..

if you have a CCW then you've already submitted to the law, dont be an idiot and pull that attitude with a cop.

odds are, if you were pulled over, you were breaking the law and you know it.

when I've been pulled over, I simply hand the officer my license and ccw permit at the same time and have them out of my wallet and in my left hand hanging out the window as the officer approaches the vehicle (with my right hand on the steering wheel)..

but who would have guessed it? (im a white guy that's never been mistreated by the cops).

That "mentality" is not an attitude, its the LAW in many places, and with good reasoning behind it.

What I don't get, is the attitude "anyone with a gun is a potential felon and will kill me", and then projecting that onto law abiding citizens on the side of the road.  Being guilty of a traffic violation does not equal being a murderer.

I do agree, that attitude is everything.  However, even a good attitude won't isolate you from an overbearing, fascist, azzhole, with the state's power/authority...and a gun, who wants to disarm you on the side of the road, then steal your legally owned property and means of defense.

You should buy your tin foil in bulk, then you wouldn't need to make as many trips to the store
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 4:48:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Loud voice--

"According to the articles of citizenry you have no authority over me! I do not give permission! You are being recorded! Am I being detained? AM I BEING DETAINED???? YOU CAN'T DO THIS!! You FUCKER!! Am I being detained?? I do NOT consent!!"

If you repeat all that exactly 87 times it works every time.  
View Quote

I'm pretty sure that only works if you also shout your secret. Gov ID number.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 4:49:06 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Look, here's how it works.  I'm a State Trooper.  I've disarmed exactly one person that was legally carrying.  The reason was it was late, she was broken down, had kids in the car, was extremely nervous, and had the firearm on the seat out of its holster.  Due to how freaked out she was that she was broken down, I temporarily held onto to her firearm until the tow truck arrived, because I didn't want her to freak out and shoot me or the tow truck driver.  Outside of that one time I have never disarmed anyone that was legally carrying.  I am not afraid of being shot by the firearm I know about, it's the one I don't know about that will get me dead.  The normal conversation goes like this:

Me: I'm Trooper Airwing_Jarhead and I stopped you for (and I give the reason). I also need to let you know we are being audio and video recorded.

Me:. Ok, not a problem.  If you keep your hands away from yours I'll keep my hands away from mine.

But now if I see a gun and you haven't even told me you have a carry permit, well let's just say I'll no longer be Trooper Friendly.
View Quote
Stay out of VA please.

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 5:03:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The quoted article isn't bullshit, it's written from the perspective of the police and they are telling you the best route to take to avoid a violent confrontation.  They have the power of life and death over you and you want to be a hard ass?  Go right ahead.
View Quote

Yessuh missuh polease man. Eyes uh get youz mah gunn. Oh lawdy.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 5:19:37 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That cop had unbelievable patience. If Jesus was a cop, he would act like this guy. He just stood there and let the guy get it all off his chest. At the same time he made it clear he wasn't going to be a doormat.

I am not a cop. I could never BE a cop, I don't have what it takes to spend days, or nights, dealing with this stuff, walking up to strange cars dozens of times a shift.

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 5:26:17 PM EDT
[#43]
I find it interesting that this thread is "what the police want" when I. Fact it is SUPPOSED to be the police who serve the public at large.  Perhaps a different perspective would be "what do the citizens served by the police want" in stops where the citizens are armed.  The very fact that the citizens are worried about what the police want, rather than it being the police worrying about what the citizens want tells much about the state of affairs between the two.

I find it unfortunate that the relationship between police and the public has become more adversarial than cooperative.  Much of this sentiment also applies to government in general, in that it increasingly seems that citizens serve the desires of government, rather than governmeat serving the desires of the people.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 5:55:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Now for the story.
 It was January, 1979 and I was driving north on IL highway 3, coming from Anna Il going to St. Louis. I was empty and returning a rental flatbed because I was picking up a new trailer I bought. I had an electrical problem since Idaho coming out and my truck would not start so I just left it running until I had time to fix it.Somewhere around Cora the motor died[cummins}. I was blocking the right lane of the two lane but traffic was light. I had the hood up working on the motor when I looked up an IL HP was behind me with lights on. I told him my problem and he said fine he would sit there for awhile. I went back to work, it was quite cold that morning; 1/2 hour later I went back and told him I had the problem kind of fixed but I needed someone to tow me for a "bump start".He said to get in the front of his patrol car to warm up and he gave me some coffee.I said the first truck by I would ask for a pull.Very little traffic so we talked for a long time. His handle was "big bear" and he knew everyone that stopped.[No cellphones for you kid's}.
We started talking gun,s and I remarked he was the first officer I had seen with an auto[wheel gun's were it} He had a S/Wmodel 59; I told him I had just bought a S/WM39 in a truckstop in Montana a couple of weeks ago. I asked how he likes it so he took it out of his holster and handed it to me to drool over. I said it was beautiful and handed it back.
Some kids in a 4x4 3/4 ton pickup pulled up; he got out and told them they would be giving me a tow for a bump start; they could not say no. He then got on the cb and told me to follow him in to the next little town. I thought now I get it. He took me to a cafe and bought me pie and coffee.
He was a great big guy, wonderful man, so you never know about contact with police.
I have many more police stories like this, some more amazing, but another time.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 6:59:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
In Ohio it is the law that you have to inform the nice policeman that you are packing.It is also in the system and tagged to your plates. When they call your plates in they know in Ohio that they belong to a permit holder in this state.
View Quote

The one time I was in the back of a SP car I was not carrying.  I told the trooper I had a permit, but was not packing,

(No, I did nothing wrong.  Got clipped by a semi, that did not stop, on my way to work.  Busted out my left rear window on a -5 degree morning.  Cop just said OK, thanks telling me.)

It took me a few minutes to figure out why the back seat was a big plastic tub.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 7:48:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Stay out of VA please.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stay out of VA please.

Respect my hoplophobic authoritah!!

Txl
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 7:56:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I've been pulled over 8-10 times in the decade that I've been carrying and not gotten a single ticket.

Windows down
Engine off

View Quote

I do the same thing, also I wait and tell the officer where my wallet is, and if he wants me to get it out. I never move fast when I move when pulled over. I get both my lisence and LTC out and hand them to the officer even if I'm not carrying.  More often than not I just get a warning if not if I do get a ticket I've gotten a big break on the ticket.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 8:01:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I do the same thing, also I wait and tell the officer where my wallet is, and if he wants me to get it out. I never move fast when I move when pulled over. I get both my lisence and LTC out and hand them to the officer even if I'm not carrying.  More often than not I just get a warning if not if I do get a ticket I've gotten a big break on the ticket.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Windows down
Engine off

I prefer the answer "No", "No weapons in the car".

Never been an issue...
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 8:37:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

As soon as I get pulled over I immediately take out my wallet and throw it on the dash, that way your never going for anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You mean you aren't supposed to keep trying to grab at your wallet that is located just below the slightly visible handgun in your waist even after the officer tells you not to move?  Who would have guessed?

As soon as I get pulled over I immediately take out my wallet and throw it on the dash, that way your never going for anything.

I do the same.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 9:24:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Never been an issue...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Windows down
Engine off

Never been an issue...

Are you implying that you will say this if you do have a firearm?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top