This!  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice choice for your 1911"

Most 1911 stoppages result from magazine problems and regardless of the cost of your pistol, you want top quality magazines.

Chip McCormick Power Mags.

Mags and extractors. Learning how to properly tension an extractor is important.

I rarely have malfunctions with my 1911.
This!  

Both of mine have external extractors a la S&W E Series 1911TA, and SIG 1911 Super Target Nitron.

Perfect reliability though, for many thousands of rounds.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 8:46:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 8:49:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Both of mine have external extractors a la S&W E Series 1911TA, and SIG 1911 Super Target Nitron.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most 1911 stoppages result from magazine problems and regardless of the cost of your pistol, you want top quality magazines.

Mags and extractors. Learning how to properly tension an extractor is important.

This!  

External extractors are not allowed in my house - that's too far out there....

I'm too much of a traditionalist with my 1911's, that's why they have laser grips, night sights, modified beaver tail grip safeties, enlarged ejection ports, throated barrels, bobbed commander hammers, close tolerance barrel nuts, and low rider thumb safeties.

But external extractors?  Bullshit, that's pushing it and I'll have none of it!!!

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 8:55:27 PM EDT
[#5]
OP, yours looks to have a stainless matte finish. If you do scratch it sandpaper and a small mallet is your friend.

With a name like "coltc", why is this your first 1911?
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 8:57:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
OP, yours looks to have a stainless matte finish. If you do scratch it sandpaper and a small mallet is your friend.

View Quote

Colt makes ARs
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:03:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This!  

Heathen!

Just kidding. I'm not a purist. Any 1911 is better than a Block.

I just prefer a fixed extractor and series 70 because I'm much more familiar with them.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:04:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Colt makes ARs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Colt makes ARs

Coltc is a nickname I've had for years. It has nothing to do with firearms. My other nickname is sexy, so I picked coltc instead.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:04:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Holy cow, that's the driest RIA I've ever seen.  They typically look like they were dunked in a barrel of 30W before being stuck on a boat across the Pacific.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:07:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Holy cow, that's the driest RIA I've ever seen.  They typically look like they were dunked in a barrel of 30W before being stuck on a boat across the Pacific.
View Quote

lol. Make no mistake, I wiped it off before taking the pic. I also threw out the bag of oil it came in. I couldn't help but think I got the Harley Davidson of 1911s. It leaks oil everywhere.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:08:47 PM EDT
[#11]

I picked up the same model for a range toy not long ago. I'm using Mec-Gar 8rd mags, 6 of them. All function perfectly, and I'm running 200gr LSW's that I cast... you can't ask for a much more fussy bullet type for feeding

I haven't had any feeding issues at all honestly, couple boxes of factory 230 ball to break in then right to my cast boolit reloads.  I did adjust the extractor a tiny bit as I felt it was to tight... may have worked out of the box.  The firing pin stop fit looser than I like, so, I fit and over size EGW FPS.

I also added a Wilson combat ez magwell. I blended it to the factory magwell because the factory and Mec-Gar mags have a wider, flared base pad that wouldn't seat with the magwell in place. So I opened the magwell up and blended it at the same time. Worked great and don't look to shabby either, it took brownell's oxpho-blue nicely

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:11:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Just order some Wilson Combats and you are gtg op. They are supposed be excellent for the price, and it seems the place they skimp on quality is the magazines, so by going with Wilsons you avoid that. Have fun, the 1911 is a wonderful platform and I love my Springer Loaded Operator to death.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:12:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I need a 1911 starter kit with a handful of mags, the fiber front front sight, a holster, and mag carrier.

Someone list that in the EE for me.
View Quote

Recommend a Stealth Gear Onyx for your holster.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:33:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't know. I'm excited to see. I'm bored with the reliability of my Glocks and needed something different.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What type of malfunction do you think it'll have first?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I don't know. I'm excited to see. I'm bored with the reliability of my Glocks and needed something different.
Glocks don't ever jam?

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:41:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Glocks don't ever jam?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glocks don't ever jam?

Nope.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:45:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I hope everyone is happy. I ordered a couple of the Wilson 47d mags. I also ordered a couple Mec-whatever they were called cause they were on sale and seemed to have a good rating. I also picked up the Dawson FO front sight, a Wilson Combat spring set and buffers, WC blue plastic tool thing. I have no idea if I needed the springs, tool, or buffers but that stuff was cheap enough so I grabbed it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:46:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Nope.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Glocks don't ever jam?

Nope.

But they sure make GSL jelly!
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:49:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I hope everyone is happy. I ordered a couple of the Wilson 47d mags. I also ordered a couple Mec-whatever they were called cause they were on sale and seemed to have a good rating. I also picked up the Dawson FO front sight, a Wilson Combat spring set and buffers, WC blue plastic tool thing. I have no idea if I needed the springs, tool, or buffers but that stuff was cheap enough so I grabbed it.
View Quote
Now get an Ed Brown Chainlink mainspring housing and a 19 lb mainspring.

The plastic mainspring housing that comes on the ARMSCOR guns is a sacrilege.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:51:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

You don't even KNOW what you have gotten yourself into....

But it's a good thing!
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:53:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Listen to this guy, and repeat after me:

The FIRST thing you do is ditch the shitty factory mags, and buy some Wilsons (or CMKs).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've always used Wilson Combat and Chip McCormick mags, with zero issues.

Listen to this guy, and repeat after me:

The FIRST thing you do is ditch the shitty factory mags, and buy some Wilsons (or CMKs).

Never had issues with the ACT (?) mag that my RIA Compact came with even fed Gold Dots, Golden Sabers, and Hydro Shoks.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:55:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Nope.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glocks don't ever jam?

Nope.
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=glock+jamming&tbm=vid

No? They don't? Even with video proof?

Cool story.

Just like the other cool story that they don't need to be cleaned and then the kabooms from reloaders who listened to this tall tale because of the leading and the type of rifling Glock uses. I love it when this other tall tale gets propagated too.

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:56:07 PM EDT
[#22]
8rd. KimPro Tac mags are what I use. Solid well made magazines with good springs and followers at a decent price.  

I sold all of my Wilson ETMs awhile back since I wanted more mags and the prices were just too high. The Wilson Combat 47Ds tend to have a weak spring in them. The original springs in mine got soft quickly. I had Wilson Combat send me some new springs for the two I own and they got really soft in half the time and started to cause malfunctions. If you're going for Wilson Combat mags, get the ETMs for the better springs alone.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:56:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the part on the bottom of the backside of the grip, right? It appears to be aluminum or something, not plastic.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:57:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Absolute best mags in my experience are still the old-school, Colt-factory-style 7-round mags. Yes, you only get seven rounds, but I have never had ANY type of magazine failure with those. Everything else has had at least some type of minor issue over the years - Wilson 47Ds and ETMs, CMC Powers, Tripp Cobras, everything. Next best is probably the CMCs, as they have given me about the same rate of issues as Tripps, but cost way less.

I use CMC or Tripps in competition, but on the few occasions when I carry a 1911, I do so with Colt-pattern 7-rounders.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:58:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=glock+jamming&tbm=vid

Cool story.

Just like the other cool story that they don't need to be cleaned and then the kabooms from reloaders who listened to this tall tale because of the leading and the type of rifling Glock uses. I love it when this other tall tale gets propagated too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glocks don't ever jam?

Nope.

Cool story.

Those are obviously staged. Just like those fake fight videos people post on here.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:04:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm too much of a traditionalist with my 1911's, that's why they have laser grips, night sights, modified beaver tail grip safeties, enlarged ejection ports, throated barrels, bobbed commander hammers, close tolerance barrel nuts, and low rider thumb safeties.

But external extractors?  Bullshit, that's pushing it and I'll have none of it!!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would seem you also made the long and expensive journey to the mountain of the 1911, and there, like many of us, worshiped at the monastery of John Moses Browning. I will admit I allowed myself to be lured by the call of the mountain into spending copious amounts of money while becoming addicted to a 4 pound trigger.  If you avoid any "tactical bling" pitfalls and you have sufficient disposable financial resources, buying a really good 1911 is far from the worst indulgence in the world.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:04:44 PM EDT
[#27]
I only buy stainless steel 8 round Wilson Combat mags for my TRP. It's my daily carry gun and I don't need any feeding issues in a gun I trust my life to.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:13:21 PM EDT
[#28]
The same shop I picked this up at had a stainless used Colt for $700 and I swear it said it came with 9 mags. Probably should have just got that one with the cost of mags and all. I've always heard the RIA are decent though and that's all I was looking for.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:56:34 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Looks nice.

Now, since this is your first 1911...

Ways to prevent the idiot scratch:

A. Be extremely careful when reinserting the slide stop during reassembly after takedown.

But since most noobs struggle with that...

B. Take a small piece of electrical tape, and mask off the area of the frame, just above and aft of the trigger, where the scratch happens.  Reassemble.  Then remove the tape after you are done.  Presto - no idiot scratch on your brand new 1911.

Thank me later.

View Quote
I wish I would've known that trick when I bought my first one

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:44:47 PM EDT
[#30]
I have been shooting a Colt 1944 GI model for over 20 years.  My pop had it for 20 years before that.  Only one malfunction in all that time. It wouldn't feed hollow point rounds.  Gave them to my son for his PX4 Storm, and I stick with ball.  Of course, you won't have those issues with a modern firearm.  I have a couple of Wilsons and a couple of Colt GI mags.

My EDC is a Sig P229, but I staked my life on the 1911 for years and still would.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:06:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:25:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Lol... 1911 and 'cheap' in the same sentence.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow. Those Wilson mags everyone recommends are pricey. Anything decent enough that's a bit cheaper or is that what I need for this thing to run?

Lol... 1911 and 'cheap' in the same sentence.

Indeed.  The good news is that if you take care of the magazines they will last a very long time.  If you use the crap out of them they will need new springs at some point.

Go with the Wilsons.  You won't regret it.  This is one of those times where buy once cry once really does apply.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:52:47 AM EDT
[#33]
I need a cheap shitty holster and mag carrier to play around at the range with.

Any recommendations?

I was thinking something simple like the kit the comes with the Springfields would be good enough. If I ever decide to carry this I'll pick something else up as well.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:08:21 PM EDT
[#34]
I have had a couple RIA guns, good value for the money.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:10:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I've always used Wilson Combat and Chip McCormick mags, with zero issues.
View Quote

QFT
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:19:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Use some Metalforms, Megcar, or Brownell's. They work, and won't break the bank.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:42:35 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I need a cheap shitty holster and mag carrier to play around at the range with.

Any recommendations?

I was thinking something simple like the kit the comes with the Springfields would be good enough. If I ever decide to carry this I'll pick something else up as well.
View Quote

Don't get the serpa BS, this linked holster only has friction retention at the trigger guard. No help with mag carriers as I just adjust my tacos a bit for the single stack mags...

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:09:05 PM EDT
[#38]

Congrats!!!

Finest handgun in the world.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:34:34 PM EDT
[#39]
The price is so good that everybody should own one. Especially in 9mm.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:47:41 PM EDT
[#40]
You did well for buying your first. Cheap enough if you decide you don't like it, it's not a big deal, and you bought one that's known to work.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:53:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That's the part on the bottom of the backside of the grip, right? It appears to be aluminum or something, not plastic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never seen a plastic MSH on an Armscor gun, but I've seen them on Colt.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 4:19:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Went ahead and ordered this holster and mag carrier.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0197OVY2C/ref=sxts1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469650522&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65

I know it's Fobus but just for something to wear when I'm shooting it, it should be fine. Besides, for $12 shipped, if it sucks who cares.

Also ordered some G10 grips. The same ones that come on the factory TAC version I think. Picked up a Chip 10rd mag as well.

Still haven't even shot the thing. Work sent me back out of town so hopefully I can get home in the next week or so to see how it is.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 7:57:28 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My Citadel came with one.

Link Posted: 8/2/2016 7:20:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Made it back into town and got a bunch of parts in. Everything seems good except the front sight. I thought I ordered the right one.

It is too small. I thought I could build up the base, hence the two weld spots, then it would fit nice but as I push it up a bit, I wasn't happy with the engagement on the dove tail.

Oh well. That's junk. Guess I'll have to have one custom fit if I want one. I guess I could try more welding, building, and grinding on that one.

Will probably go out and finally shoot the thing tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 7:34:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Chip McCormick mags work in every 1911 I've used.

That's what the majority of my mags are and all I buy now.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top