Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 5:21:10 AM EDT
[#1]
this is maybe the most interesting thread currently active on arfcom.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 5:38:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The Kurds in Turkey do not like the United States. The Kurds in Iraq that do like the United States are allies of Erdogan. Which ones are you going to save?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Turkey will be ISIS in a few years.  Let's save the Kurd's now!

The Kurds in Turkey do not like the United States. The Kurds in Iraq that do like the United States are allies of Erdogan. Which ones are you going to save?

Don't confuse me with reality! I demand a simplified world without nuance!
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 5:41:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see that John Kerry has made his favorite buzzword popular again in certain cliques.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 5:51:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The Turkish press is  claiming that the coup was  a CIA plot to install Gulen. Even before the war in Syria,80% of Turks had an unfavorable view of the US and it it keeps going down. The only Turks that did like the US are being purged. Face it,things are only going to get worse.

ETA: I'm laughing my ass off at Trump. When the coup was taking place,he tweeted they were taking their country back. The next day he said something about the dopey military failing and it being Hillary's fault. Now in the NY Times today he's praising Erdogan and saying that the US record  regarding civil liberties means that it can't lecture the world. What are the chances he actually knows there is an unresolved situation at Incirlik? He has already shown  weakness to Russia,China and DPRK by saying the US won't neccessarily defend its allies and now outright says that America can't take a global leadership position because everyone knows it's awful. It's  awesome,he's going to make Obama look like Reagan
View Quote

I think that was a parody account, realdenaldtrump or something.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 6:33:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

And the most scary although next week when Satan gets nominated by the democrats that will be just as bad.

WTF is Obongo doing about this!!??
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 6:45:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If Turkey starts executing prisoners, they will not be welcomed into the EU
View Quote

Erdogan wants a caliphate, not an EU.

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 6:51:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Rumor has it that they have been cozying up to Russia and moving away from the EU. It would benefit Russia to gain access to a warm water port on the coast.

http://m.sputniknews.com/politics/20160717/1043165908/turkey-coup-serbia.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rumor has it that they have been cozying up to Russia and moving away from the EU. It would benefit Russia to gain access to a warm water port on the coast.

And erdy is friendly with Iran

That would be a global disaster. And it's happening.

TEHRAN, July 19 /TASS/. Turkey is ready to work towards restoration of peace and stability in the region together with Russia and Iran, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said in a telephone conversation with Iranian counterpart Hassan Rouhani on Monday.
"Today, we are determined more than ever before to contribute to the solution of regional problems hand in hand with Iran and Russia and in cooperation with them," the Islamic Republic News Agency (IRNA) quoted Erdogan as saying. The Turkish president informed Rouhani about the situation in Turkey. "At present, the situation is getting back to normal but it is too early to say that everything is over," Erdogan said.

More:
http://tass.ru/en/world/889162
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 6:52:31 AM EDT
[#8]
^^^^^FUCK!!!

WHERE THE FUCK IS OBONGO!!??
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 6:54:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They just shot down a Russian plane a few months ago and everyone thought Putin was going to invade.  That doesn't sound like cozying up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They just shot down a Russian plane a few months ago and everyone thought Putin was going to invade.  That doesn't sound like cozying up.

That was the military.  The pilot who shot down the Russians was arrested as part of the coup and executed.

Itshappening.gif
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 6:58:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Turkish lawmakers set to give Erdogan sweeping new powers

In an address to the nation late Wednesday, Erdogan announced a cabinet decision to seek the additional powers, saying the state of emergency would give the government the tools to rid the military of the "virus" of subversion. He didn't specify exactly what the state of emergency would entail.

Under the Turkish constitution, the emergency measures allow the government to "partially or entirely" suspend "the exercise of fundamental rights and freedoms," so long as it does not violate international law obligations. Lawmakers can sanction, under the terms of the constitution, a state of emergency for a period of up to six months.

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:01:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Turkish press is  claiming that the coup was  a CIA plot to install Gulen. Even before the war in Syria,80% of Turks had an unfavorable view of the US and it it keeps going down. The only Turks that did like the US are being purged. Face it,things are only going to get worse.

ETA: I'm laughing my ass off at Trump. When the coup was taking place,he tweeted they were taking their country back. The next day he said something about the dopey military failing and it being Hillary's fault. Now in the NY Times today he's praising Erdogan and saying that the US record  regarding civil liberties means that it can't lecture the world. What are the chances he actually knows there is an unresolved situation at Incirlik? He has already shown  weakness to Russia,China and DPRK by saying the US won't neccessarily defend its allies and now outright says that America can't take a global leadership position because everyone knows it's awful. It's  awesome,he's going to make Obama look like Reagan

It was but Shhh don't tell him just yet, this is fun......
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:07:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It would also be very useful to Putin in terms of controlling natural gas flow to Europe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would also be very useful to Putin in terms of controlling natural gas flow to Europe.

Mostly useful for strategic military reasons, sending more ropers to EU, more warm water ports, assad support, resource distribution, Nato fracturing, gaining a super important location at expense of the west.... I could go on and on
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:11:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How the fuck are they in NATO?!  That shit is embarrassing
View Quote

Look at a map.

Purely geography.

Getting them to align with the west fucks with Russian logistics terribly.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:26:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Well, the downside of purging your officer corps is that you don't have an officer corps. Those F-16s won't do much of their pilots have all been shot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Send in a MEU and let them fuck shit up, which airborne division is in Italy?
Send them in also.

I don't think an MEU and a couple battalions of paratroopers (it is a brigade in Italy, not a division) will accomplish much against NATO's 2nd largest military heavily equipped with western tanks, APCs, helicopters and F-16 fighter jets.

Well, the downside of purging your officer corps is that you don't have an officer corps. Those F-16s won't do much of their pilots have all been shot.

The Republican Guard and Russian Advisors will do fine for erdo.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:33:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So how does one replace that many educated professionals? Just amazing that purges still happen. Pol Pot must be impressed.
View Quote

Westernized intelligentsia. He's all about the Islam. Western political/ social thought is contrary to Islamic concepts of the political and social. To go all Sharia, with minimal interference, he needs to remove the opposition. Which is the Professional/ managerial class. It reverts to an authoritarian model of inefficiency with all the jobs filled with family, friends and apparatchiks for the party loyalty.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:35:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How many other people besides me think the Coup was fucking fake? And that the fake "coup" is being used to solidify Erdogan's power?
View Quote

Agreed
Too many people being purged at top levels
Why judges and scholars? I could understand possibly a handful who maybe spoke out in support of the coup, but thousands?

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:36:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
every time there is a coup the CIA admits to playing around with it 20 years later. Cuba,indochina,Iraq,Libya,Syria  

Cuba we left the invasion force high and dry and Vietnam power vacuum made us a lot of money.  Economy is in ths shitter and its right before the election where campaign promises have to be made. I fear we are about to bring freedom and democracy to a country that doesnt want it
View Quote

No. President loves the beautiful call of adhan.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:39:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The EU has millions of them now, but damned if they actually want to work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lolololololol

The EU doesnt care as long as they get cheap labor immigrants.

The EU has millions of them now, but damned if they actually want to work.

They draw social services because the Madrassas backed education is not conducive to Westernized jobs and services.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:43:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ya'll need to loosen the tinfoil a bit. Most of this anonymous info is coming from scared little finance babies emailing momma about how scared they are.

Anything is possible, but do you really see the Turk government forces attacking our people there?
View Quote

What about 4-500 ISIS fighters who "slipped" across the border from Syria?
Throw in some VBIEds and ......
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:47:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This is why when we start a coup in a second world shithole you go all the way, to the death, because a half assed coup is suicide.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

There's no way Obama is party to any coup plot against the Erdogan government. This is Erdogan making a move for his own personal ambitions. Erdogan and Obama share a general like-mindedness in the ascension of the Islamic culture to a higher status on the world stage. The alliance only has value to Erdogan in how far it can promote his position in the Islamic world. He is willing to move beyond that now since Obama will be out of power in a few months. He's gotten what needed out of the relationship and is ready to move on.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:48:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This. And have you seen CNN today?

Trumps wife says a handful of words that Zeros wife said this one time!!
Outrages for everybody.

Its good the American press can concentrate on the things that matter. What would we do if we were completely uninformed of important, relevant world events?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
article from another thread.

good info here my buddy hasnt given me.

the food and water are not flown in to this base via the air strip, they are all trucked in through the commercial gate.

MREs are being flown in to prevent starvation, this is an act of war and Ash carter has refused to transfer our military off base.

http://www.trunews.com/article/Is-Incirlik-Air-Base-being-held-hostage-by-Turkey

How has this not been covered in the media yet?

This is a major story.  

You mean the same media that depend on access to politicians in order to remain relevant, and thus doesn't want their press passes revoked by the government?

The same media that is gargling Obama cock?

Like George Carlin said about us ordinary citizens, "It's a big fuckin' club, and you ain't in it."

This. And have you seen CNN today?

Trumps wife says a handful of words that Zeros wife said this one time!!
Outrages for everybody.

Its good the American press can concentrate on the things that matter. What would we do if we were completely uninformed of important, relevant world events?

Way worse than compromising national security through an unsecured email server.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:55:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I see that John Kerry has made his favorite buzzword popular again in certain cliques.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's....complicated.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:55:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Stray nukes?  It's time to send Bond in.  

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:57:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He'll just stop stemming the immigrant flow into Europe and open the floodgates.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:00:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Look at a map.

Purely geography.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How the fuck are they in NATO?!  That shit is embarrassing

Look at a map.

Purely geography.

The area is the traditional gateway for East-West trade. It's a strategic geographic location between the East and West. So it's not just the Russians...
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:02:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Agreed
Why judges and scholars? I could understand possibly a handful who maybe spoke out in support of the coup, but thousands?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How many other people besides me think the Coup was fucking fake? And that the fake "coup" is being used to solidify Erdogan's power?

Agreed

he's eliminating secular, westernised opposition to Erdogan's desire to revert to a more theocratic type of Governing. sharia.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:23:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Tag
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:26:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

he's eliminating secular, westernised opposition to Erdogan's desire to revert to a more theocratic type of Governing. sharia.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed

I can see exactly what he's doing.
That's why the thought process of this being a false coup is logical.
There is no need to do what he did with the judges and scholars.
And it's not like this happened over a few months period after the failed coup.
It happened virtually overnite. Theses lists were premade.
Now he's playing the US involvement / support to induce our exit from the country. He had this well thought out. You have to give him credit for being a chess master while our leader in Washington is still looking for someone he can beat at checkers.

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:35:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Stray nukes?  It's time to send Bond in.  

http://www.wow247.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Pussy-Galore-gif.gif
View Quote

I must be dreaming.  

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:45:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Now he's playing the US involvement / support to induce our exit from the country. He had this well thought out. You have to give him credit for being a chess master while our leader in Washington is still looking for someone he can beat at checkers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed

Judges and scholars give authority to the arguments against what he is doing. He is doing what any authoritarian does- eliminate any source of opposition to his authority and his policies. He wants no political opposition. There will be no debates. And you do that by oppressing/ elimnating them. Very Stalinesque. He'll give Kim Jong-Un a run for his money as best despot.

I doubt there's much opposition to what he is doing by the POTUS. Realpolitik. But there's narratives and imagery to maintain for the bumpkins back home. Like the perception that Obama takes the needs of his country over the ambitions of a politically aligned fellow traveller....

(Obama hates colonizer, Imperialistic Crusaderism)

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:49:05 AM EDT
[#31]
erdogan has to go.  thats the only way turkey remains friendly to the US
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:50:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
erdogan has to go.  thats the only way turkey remains friendly to the US
View Quote

I don't see how that is even remotely possible at this point.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:53:07 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I've spent a few nights in an Islamic country or two and know how quickly things can go to shit in situations such as this.

This is an installation with F-15s on the deck and thermonuclear weapons in the ground, not Benghazi. There are contingencies in place, you can bet your ass. As bad as the DoD/USAF has degraded over the years, they are still infinitely more competent than the fucking DoS. Sure presidential decisions will have to be made, but there is also a completely different set of rules in place for situations involving those weapons.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ya'll need to loosen the tinfoil a bit. Most of this anonymous info is coming from scared little finance babies emailing momma about how scared they are.

Anything is possible, but do you really see the Turk government forces attacking our people there?

I don't think you get how this Islam thing works...

Their Caliph just got a shitload of unarmed radical Islamic brownshirts to storm tanks via a single Tweet a few days ago.

All he has to do is drop a few hints, have his people in the Islamic centers put the word out... Bam, riot storming the gates. Turks on base given shitty/no orders. Chaos... Dust settles and there's dead people everywhere, who knows what the fuck happened, and Erdogan gets to say "the will of the people did it. They don't want coup enablers in their country."

What would we do as a nation? Not shit, that's what. Not with this leadership. Sure, some military folks on the scene and in the region would do what they can, but without support from Washington their real-world capabilities are limited.

We need to either get people out or get a shitload more people in before the Spontaneous Riot happens.
I've spent a few nights in an Islamic country or two and know how quickly things can go to shit in situations such as this.

This is an installation with F-15s on the deck and thermonuclear weapons in the ground, not Benghazi. There are contingencies in place, you can bet your ass. As bad as the DoD/USAF has degraded over the years, they are still infinitely more competent than the fucking DoS. Sure presidential decisions will have to be made, but there is also a completely different set of rules in place for situations involving those weapons.

And all that shit will be told to stand down.

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:56:28 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

And the most scary although next week when Satan gets nominated by the democrats that will be just as bad.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Taking notes for when it's his turn.

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:06:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

october suprise?

is that when you take a girl back to your place and pull down her pants and theres a dick?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's Turkey. We should be happy it's only mass murder, not genocide (yet).

Does this mean they will finally admit to mass murdering Armenian Christians?

No, it means this is a test run for obama's "October Surprise"...

october suprise?

is that when you take a girl back to your place and pull down her pants and theres a dick?

Ironically, your analogy is quite fitting!
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:22:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^This.  He also does not want to fight the US.  He will not touch the nuclear bombs.  After he eliminates the secularist in Turkey, he will make strategic alliances with Iran and ISIL.  Then he will invade Syria with Russia’s approval and assistance.  Russia will get unrestricted passage thru the Bosporus Strait. Iraq will fall to a 3 pronged invasion from (Turkey, Syria and Iran).  The Islamic Caliphate will be declared with Sultan Erdogan I as it’s supreme leader.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:29:11 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ottoman Empire part 2?

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:31:28 AM EDT
[#38]
If Turkey threatened to take our nukes what do you guys think Obongo would do?

I can't believe I am even asking this question but with that asshole I am asking a serious question.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:36:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:40:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

No shit, I have actually suggested to people the amount of money that could be made on firing off a unit in the Nevada desert. The pay-per-view rights alone... then factor in the protests, the counter protests, the counter-counter protests!

The only possible downside is the lack of space on a enduring stockpile warhead to put advertising.

Fuck. It would be glorious. Anybody got Trumps' email?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
fuck them, booby trap one of them, a big ass can of American Fuck You sunshine is what they deserve, even better if you could daisy chain all 50 like a string of Black Cats  

I like things that go boom.

No shit, I have actually suggested to people the amount of money that could be made on firing off a unit in the Nevada desert. The pay-per-view rights alone... then factor in the protests, the counter protests, the counter-counter protests!

The only possible downside is the lack of space on a enduring stockpile warhead to put advertising.

Fuck. It would be glorious. Anybody got Trumps' email?

I like you.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:42:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

^^This.  He also does not want to fight the US.  He will not touch the nuclear bombs.  After he eliminates the secularist in Turkey, he will make strategic alliances with Iran and ISIL.  Then he will invade Syria with Russia’s approval and assistance.  Russia will get unrestricted passage thru the Bosporus Strait. Iraq will fall to a 3 pronged invasion from (Turkey, Syria and Iran).  The Islamic Caliphate will be declared with Sultan Erdogan I as it’s supreme leader.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is the most likely description of the near to mid term end game for the Middle East I've heard in a while.  You might want to send this to the State Dept and see if anyone is awake.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:43:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That's pretty much a given at this point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's pretty much a given at this point.

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:46:18 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is easy.  The Iraqi Kurds aren't commies.  The Turk ones are.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Really think that's gonna work like that? Even the pussy in chief won't let that happen.
View Quote

What odds are you willing to put on that statement? Best guess for me is 50/50.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:07:50 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
This is my concern.

Let's say the nukes are completely disabled and unusable.  The press is not going to report it like that.  What the press will scream loudest is "OMG! USA won't even defend their own nukes against capture!"  If we won't prevent our nukes from being captured, bad guys will believe we won't prevent our people from being captured either.  Hello Tehran hostage scenario.

There are massive 2nd-order effects from this scenario about our national will that go far beyond losing some nukes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I am betting the personnel are being huddled together to ensure one of them doesn't get hero-y and get either nabbed up or create a true international incident. Everyone go inside, draw the blinds, and wait for it to blow over.

Far as the nukes -

1-The facilities exist for them. That's publicly known

2 -Speculators estimate there are about 50 B61's there, but... who knows. They may have been moved in advance of this because  we intercept everything turkey says anyway

3 - Moving them while the unrest is active is a stupid, rookie move. Never gonna happen. You can defend a facility. A movement? Not as well.

4 - Yes, you can disable a nuc using shaped charges and hook and pile tape. That really is for older systems, and I am betting it is messy along with a few other issues.

5 - Command Disable isn't really discussed publicly. Basically, newer systems have an internal system to make them less attractive by making them nonfunctional with less of the side effects of the bang dot method.

This does not render them 'safe' nor does it remove all attractiveness.

Lastly, people keep saying getting to the nukes is impossible. All I am going to say here is that the turks are rounding up people at the base. Nuclear operations may be restricted but they're not in a vacuum. One of the vulnerability things is looking at insider threats and whatever the current postulated threat is. Unfortunately, some things are ruled outside DBT, indefensible, but acceptable from a risk perspective because there's no way, ever never for them to happen.

Let's hope that bad guys taking advantage of a coup and current posture have been factored in. Even if they don't access the weapons, they can spin it as they did, and there will be a slack space while news services try to determine the truth. It would forever tarnish us and there would be worldwide backlash, potentially reducing our forward footprint.

Or not.

This is my concern.

Let's say the nukes are completely disabled and unusable.  The press is not going to report it like that.  What the press will scream loudest is "OMG! USA won't even defend their own nukes against capture!"  If we won't prevent our nukes from being captured, bad guys will believe we won't prevent our people from being captured either.  Hello Tehran hostage scenario.

There are massive 2nd-order effects from this scenario about our national will that go far beyond losing some nukes.

Does disabling them somehow change the chemical make up of the initiators or the physics package (as I think I have heard it called)? Because even though the bomb won't fire, all of the fiddly bits would still be there and those could be repurposed to other devices, correct?

Command disable is neat, but plutonium isn't disabled by a switch as far as I know.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:08:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Turkish lawmakers set to give Erdogan sweeping new powers

In an address to the nation late Wednesday, Erdogan announced a cabinet decision to seek the additional powers, saying the state of emergency would give the government the tools to rid the military of the "virus" of subversion. He didn't specify exactly what the state of emergency would entail.

Under the Turkish constitution, the emergency measures allow the government to "partially or entirely" suspend "the exercise of fundamental rights and freedoms," so long as it does not violate international law obligations. Lawmakers can sanction, under the terms of the constitution, a state of emergency for a period of up to six months.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_TURKEY_MILITARY_COUP?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-07-21-06-38-35
View Quote

See- now this right here is why we do have to pay attention to all of those UN agreements that we've signed with little fanfare or public debate, or that certain parties push for. Keep this in mind the next time  the Alex Jones' of the world etc bring up topic of Martial Law here in the US...

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:22:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That is the most likely description of the near to mid term end game for the Middle East I've heard in a while.  You might want to send this to the State Dept and see if anyone is awake.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Send it to the State Department?!    Now THAT's funny bro...

Thanks, I needed a real good laugh

Perhaps sending that to various Senators and Congressmen may be worth the effort though, better yet- spreading word through any personal contacts anyone may have
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:25:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Does disabling them somehow change the chemical make up of the initiators or the physics package (as I think I have heard it called)? Because even though the bomb won't fire, all of the fiddly bits would still be there and those could be repurposed to other devices, correct?

Command disable is neat, but plutonium isn't disabled by a switch as far as I know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am betting the personnel are being huddled together to ensure one of them doesn't get hero-y and get either nabbed up or create a true international incident. Everyone go inside, draw the blinds, and wait for it to blow over.

Far as the nukes -

1-The facilities exist for them. That's publicly known
2 -Speculators estimate there are about 50 B61's there, but... who knows. They may have been moved in advance of this because  we intercept everything turkey says anyway
3 - Moving them while the unrest is active is a stupid, rookie move. Never gonna happen. You can defend a facility. A movement? Not as well.
4 - Yes, you can disable a nuc using shaped charges and hook and pile tape. That really is for older systems, and I am betting it is messy along with a few other issues.
5 - Command Disable isn't really discussed publicly. Basically, newer systems have an internal system to make them less attractive by making them nonfunctional with less of the side effects of the bang dot method.

This does not render them 'safe' nor does it remove all attractiveness.

Lastly, people keep saying getting to the nukes is impossible. All I am going to say here is that the turks are rounding up people at the base. Nuclear operations may be restricted but they're not in a vacuum. One of the vulnerability things is looking at insider threats and whatever the current postulated threat is. Unfortunately, some things are ruled outside DBT, indefensible, but acceptable from a risk perspective because there's no way, ever never for them to happen.

Let's hope that bad guys taking advantage of a coup and current posture have been factored in. Even if they don't access the weapons, they can spin it as they did, and there will be a slack space while news services try to determine the truth. It would forever tarnish us and there would be worldwide backlash, potentially reducing our forward footprint.

Or not.

This is my concern.

Command disable comes first...

If there is still a threat than "explosive disassembly" comes next...

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:28:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

What makes you think this was actually a coup?

I'm seriously asking
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is why when we start a coup in a second world shithole you go all the way, to the death, because a half assed coup is suicide.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

What makes you think this was actually a coup?

I'm seriously asking

The only evidence for a faked coup is that it didn't work, and objectively, that's only evidence of a bad coup, not a faked one.

In the absence of orchestrating every detail, it's a dangerous game of chance to roll the dice with a coup ... because the coup could be successful.  And, if every detail was orchestrated to ensure failure, that wouldn't remain secret, too many moving pieces.

By their very nature, coups are difficult to plan.  They are more about momentum than anything.  These coup plotters lost the momentum when they failed to control or silence the media.  They got their message out on state run media, but didn't control it, or push it through other channels - it's also worth noting that their message cited very real and now verifiable issues.  Erdogan was making lists for military and judicial purges, likely small than what we've seen to date, but substantial enough to prompt a group of officers to mount a coup.  

We can't point to the coups of 1960 and 1980 and simply say that the Turkish military knows how to pull of coup, because they don't - everyone who was anyone is long gone.  If it resembles anything, it's the military intervention of 1997 -  with the notable exception that Erdogan had already ousted a significant number of generals, putting the decision of action or inaction in the hands of a smaller number of general officers and larger number of middle officers - which presents a significant problem for command, control, and momentum.

This was a very level headed coup attempt.  I suppose the thought being that they need not make it more kinetic than need be - the most recent past military intervention was limited to paper, and it worked.  Start the coup and convince (through force) one or two of Erdogan's recently inserted generals to sign the broader military order for the coup, and it would have succeeded.  This was the pivotal part of their plan and it failed.  Without securing a general order, control of the media was even more crucial, but plan B fell apart when the curfew collapsed - owed in two parts: media and mosques.

Past coup attempts have been outed by investigative branches of the civilian police.  This is something for which their police are always on the lookout.  They had actually halted several attempts in the mid 2000s.  Looking at the 2016 coup, the military made immediate attacks on various police headquarters - this was where most of their kinetics were focused - and for good reason since the civilian police force was the main tool for subverting these plots.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:40:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kurds will never be politically unified, even if you completely wish away the communist factions.

The obsession so many American have with lumping them as some sort of unified, politically coherent ethnic nation-in-waiting is simply ridiculous.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top