Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2001 9:19:08 AM EDT
Got a question for some of you veterns out there...My deceased father-in-law was wounded in the battle of the bulge (shrapnel to the knee/leg).  My wife said that he was never awarded the purple heart.  I was under the impression that a wound in combat was the only qualification for a purple heart.  Any light you all might be able to shed on this would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 9:42:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 4:24:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 4:25:28 PM EDT
[#3]
You may want to contact the Department of Defense.  I believe that there are forms that you can use to aquire medals that were not awarded if you are a descendant which your wife is.

If I can round up a link for you I will post it on here.

[sniper]
The Sniper
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 4:34:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Go see your county veterans service officer and also contact the veterans of foreign wars (vfw) service officer...they will help you get together paperwork and documentation needed..Yes any wounds suffered as a direct result of combat entiltles a US service memember to a purple heart..All medals can be awarded after the fact even years later
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 4:54:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 5:22:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks everyone for the help/advice.  My wife thinks that her father probably DID refuse an award, but, she said that he did not like to talk about the war so who knows.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 7:57:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top