Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 74
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 1:28:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll agree that its quite odd of a gun to be used especially in that configuration.
Most barely know enough to put a red dot on, yet alone put all those accessories on.
It's not impossible that he stumbled on some forums, others posting pictures of their Tavor and he just modeled them.
Still not good any way you spin it.
View Quote

Definitely odd that he used a Tavor.   I am not surprised to see the M21, since the Tavor is often matched with one, both being from Israel.

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 1:28:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Hey at least the two places he mentioned have options for patrol guys, although not optimal. Pistol only for patrol cops where I worked and I don't see that ever changing.

There are many stories from my PD from back in the '70s about what personally owned stuff guys were carrying around in their trunks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Medium agencies often have the best stuff.  My wife's people only have shotguns.  The guys that cover me have both,  but the shotgun is a 14" and they can't pull the rifle without direction from a supervisor, and that alone requires reports later.

Wow

Hey at least the two places he mentioned have options for patrol guys, although not optimal. Pistol only for patrol cops where I worked and I don't see that ever changing.

Quoted:
Some officers have found that if they have their personal rifle with them for target shooting after work, they are able to have such a firearm with them.  Lots of different rules and policies depending on where you go.

There are many stories from my PD from back in the '70s about what personally owned stuff guys were carrying around in their trunks.

Any stories about them being used on duty ?
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 1:33:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
And then ditch FMJ ammo with all the innocent bystanders shot due to over penetration.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most likely.
It doesn't always need to be "many locals" though,  just the loudest ones. They're the reason it took us so long to get semi auto pistols at work.
And then ditch FMJ ammo with all the innocent bystanders shot due to over penetration.  

And that took several more years.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 1:33:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

In addition to what JIA posted, you are trying to think about this logically. Nothing about these types of decisions is logical, no patrol rifles, no weapon mounted lights, having to take vacation time to go to training courses, etc, etc.

Think back to most every military decision from higher and then multiply that by
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not trying to be difficult here, I'm trying to wrap my head are how ridiculous it is to some agencies can't figure out a way to protect their Officers.

As a Chief or Sheriff or whatever, especially in these times, I wouldn't be alright with sending my Officer out in the street without some sort of long gun to defend themselves.

And these times are just going to get worse.

Quoted:
Fact is, there are a hell of a lot of police depts  out there that would prefer to bury an officer rather than risk a career by giving their people what they need.  Guns, vests, training, it does not matter.

In addition to what JIA posted, you are trying to think about this logically. Nothing about these types of decisions is logical, no patrol rifles, no weapon mounted lights, having to take vacation time to go to training courses, etc, etc.

Think back to most every military decision from higher and then multiply that by

At a certain level of rank, people care more about managing political risk than being mission-effective.  I've found that in police, military, private industry, and government agencies.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 1:41:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

One of my prior employers did not let us use any equipment that wasn't patent leather. We in no way could blouse our boots. Wearing the department issue ball cap on-duty was not allowed except for training. Our rain gear was not issued with a hood, we had to wear the plastic condom on our Class A dress hats with the rain gear. We had to wear whistle chains and whistles. Footwear was high polish leather boots or patent leather shoes; nothing modern was allowed. Your armor was PD issue and was a Level II in a horrible undershirt carrier. No exterior carriers allowed for patrol and God forbid they found a plate carrier in your gear bag.

Weapons was even worse. You were only authorized to carry to PD issue gun, your backup was either the PD issue gun or a HK USP compact or Ruger LCP. Nothing else was on the approved list. Long guns were retarded in policy. Shotguns only for patrol and they were locked in the station. The duty supervisor had the key for the locker and had to file a report to release them. The SWAT had rifles but if patrol even touched them it was a PD violation. Weapon lights wre verboten for patrol. You were not allowed to by a duty hoster and a light and use it.

Patrol was treated like peasants and SWAT was the golden flower children of the agency. Problem was they were only on duty from 8am-4pm M-F or they worked 10 hour days of 8am-6pm with either Monday or Friday off. They were issued four different pairs of uniforms, all tacticool with gear matching in color. OD green, desert brown, black, and navy blue. Good luck getting on the team. It was either you were related to the command staff somehow or grew up with them. They were a fucking money pit and a laughing stock amongst other teams in the area. If they were called out, it was for exterior perimeter while another agency did the heavy lifting.  

Thank God I left that place.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was under the assumption that most larger LE agencies carried a long gun in their cruisers?

I get that small agencies might not thave the funds, but how in the hell can a large department of Sheriff's Office justify not having a long gun in a squad car?

Doesn't make sense to me

Medium agencies often have the best stuff.  My wife's people only have shotguns.  The guys that cover me have both,  but the shotgun is a 14" and they can't pull the rifle without direction from a supervisor, and that alone requires reports later.

One of my prior employers did not let us use any equipment that wasn't patent leather. We in no way could blouse our boots. Wearing the department issue ball cap on-duty was not allowed except for training. Our rain gear was not issued with a hood, we had to wear the plastic condom on our Class A dress hats with the rain gear. We had to wear whistle chains and whistles. Footwear was high polish leather boots or patent leather shoes; nothing modern was allowed. Your armor was PD issue and was a Level II in a horrible undershirt carrier. No exterior carriers allowed for patrol and God forbid they found a plate carrier in your gear bag.

Weapons was even worse. You were only authorized to carry to PD issue gun, your backup was either the PD issue gun or a HK USP compact or Ruger LCP. Nothing else was on the approved list. Long guns were retarded in policy. Shotguns only for patrol and they were locked in the station. The duty supervisor had the key for the locker and had to file a report to release them. The SWAT had rifles but if patrol even touched them it was a PD violation. Weapon lights wre verboten for patrol. You were not allowed to by a duty hoster and a light and use it.

Patrol was treated like peasants and SWAT was the golden flower children of the agency. Problem was they were only on duty from 8am-4pm M-F or they worked 10 hour days of 8am-6pm with either Monday or Friday off. They were issued four different pairs of uniforms, all tacticool with gear matching in color. OD green, desert brown, black, and navy blue. Good luck getting on the team. It was either you were related to the command staff somehow or grew up with them. They were a fucking money pit and a laughing stock amongst other teams in the area. If they were called out, it was for exterior perimeter while another agency did the heavy lifting.  

Jesus Christ.  It's amazing to me that anyone puts up with it.   Our deputies get 31k a year.  If it wasn't for off duty gigs,   they wouldn't have anyone except retired guys from the city.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 1:54:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Jesus Christ.  It's amazing to me that anyone puts up with it.   Our deputies get 31k a year.  If it wasn't for off duty gigs,   they wouldn't have anyone except retired guys from the city.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was under the assumption that most larger LE agencies carried a long gun in their cruisers?

I get that small agencies might not thave the funds, but how in the hell can a large department of Sheriff's Office justify not having a long gun in a squad car?

Doesn't make sense to me

Pay was not much more than that.

FL other than Miami, Broward, Tampa, Jacksonville, and Orlando areas pay shit. The State pay is also horrible.

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:17:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

At a certain level of rank, people care more about managing political risk than being mission-effective.  I've found that in police, military, private industry, and government agencies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not trying to be difficult here, I'm trying to wrap my head are how ridiculous it is to some agencies can't figure out a way to protect their Officers.

As a Chief or Sheriff or whatever, especially in these times, I wouldn't be alright with sending my Officer out in the street without some sort of long gun to defend themselves.

And these times are just going to get worse.

Quoted:
Fact is, there are a hell of a lot of police depts  out there that would prefer to bury an officer rather than risk a career by giving their people what they need.  Guns, vests, training, it does not matter.

100%

You don't get to those types of positions by effecting change. You play the game, CYA, and maybe fuck a bunch of people.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:20:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If I had to *guess*, it would be a budget issue.  I don't see too many locals getting up in arms about cops having the most commonly used rifle in America at their disposal.  LA has serious budget issues, though.

I'm sure a local with LEO experience will be here to correct me soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I get that small agencies might not thave the funds, but how in the hell can a large department or Sheriff's Office justify not having a long gun in a squad car?

Too scary and/or expensive.

If I had to *guess*, it would be a budget issue.  I don't see too many locals getting up in arms about cops having the most commonly used rifle in America at their disposal.  LA has serious budget issues, though.

Leadership likes shotguns...
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:25:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I get that small agencies might not thave the funds, but how in the hell can a large department or Sheriff's Office justify not having a long gun in a squad car?

Too scary and/or expensive.

You mean in EBR?
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:28:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You mean in EBR?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean in EBR?

Nope. here.
Its like fighting with shotgun guys in GD with them.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:29:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

WTF...what a asshole.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not trying to be difficult here, I'm trying to wrap my head around how ridiculous it is to some agencies can't figure out a way to protect their Officers.

You can't wrap your head around it because you don't realize that there are pols/admin/brass/etc. who don't care about protecting their officers and don't care if they get injured or killed. I never had a single Mayor, PC, or Chief at work that I felt gave a single fuck about us.

A co-worker of mine got picked up to be on the mayor's protection detail under Bloomberg and he said that the mayor used to get unbelievably annoyed when he had to take time out to show up at a officer's funeral. It was an inconvenience to him.

WTF...what a asshole.

Maybe its above me, but he's an asshole because he doesn't want to go to someones funeral he doesn't even know personally, just because of the persons job? Suppose it was a real inconvience and he had something more productive he could do with his time? Him going there what benefit is that going to provide?
How would you feel if you were forced to go to all of the people in your neighborhood funeral because they lived in your neighborhood?
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:36:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

That sounds....awful.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:36:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Maybe its above me, but he's an asshole because he doesn't want to go to someones funeral he doesn't even know personally, just because of the persons job? Suppose it was a real inconvience and he had something more productive he could do with his time? Him going there what benefit is that going to provide?
How would you feel if you were forced to go to all of the people in your neighborhood funeral because they lived in your neighborhood?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:37:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Just going to leave this here.

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:44:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not trying to be difficult here, I'm trying to wrap my head around how ridiculous it is to some agencies can't figure out a way to protect their Officers.

You can't wrap your head around it because you don't realize that there are pols/admin/brass/etc. who don't care about protecting their officers and don't care if they get injured or killed. I never had a single Mayor, PC, or Chief at work that I felt gave a single fuck about us.

A co-worker of mine got picked up to be on the mayor's protection detail under Bloomberg and he said that the mayor used to get unbelievably annoyed when he had to take time out to show up at a officer's funeral. It was an inconvenience to him.

WTF...what a asshole.

DU-----------> FOAD
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:47:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
That sounds....awful.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That sounds....awful.  
We still have that here.  Rifles are just SOOOOO much more powerful with more thrusts per squeeze and all that.  So I have a shotgun for duty use.  Am I totally under gunned?  Probably not.  But there is a better way.  

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:48:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Nope. here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean in EBR?

Nope. here.

I had a feeling you meant there, but I wasn't sure.  What does that not surprise me?  Damn FUDs everywhere around here.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:57:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF...what a asshole.

There's also that real inconvenience of being killed while in the service of the city.  Fuck it why should an elected mayor that sought office have to take his precious time to show his respect for an employee of the city he chose to lead.  Maybe the mayor could spend his time more productively by grading some posts on the internet for spelling and punctuation.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:16:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

How would you feel if you were forced to go to all of the people in your neighborhood funeral because they lived in your neighborhood and you were elected and paid by everyone on the neighborhood to be responsible for the neighborhood and every person living in it and the one that died was one of those who was charged with helping you to keep the people safe?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF...what a asshole.

How would you feel if you were forced to go to all of the people in your neighborhood funeral because they lived in your neighborhood and you were elected and paid by everyone on the neighborhood to be responsible for the neighborhood and every person living in it and the one that died was one of those who was charged with helping you to keep the people safe?

FIFY.
and a combination of obligated and honored.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:16:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF...what a asshole.

Simple answer:  It's part of the job.  Don't like doing the job?  Don't apply for the job.

From there, the discussion can move on to the nuances of showing the people that he is ordering around, that he has no fucks to give about them getting killed while following his orders.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:17:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Was he transgender?
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:21:58 PM EDT
[#22]

You missed the whole "discovering their roots" thing from the 1970s, didn't you?
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:23:17 PM EDT
[#23]

That's the traditional African garb that his ancestors wore when they were defeated and enslaved by a neighboring African tribe and then sold to the Dutch. You know that's why he was angry at white people today.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:26:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That's the traditional African garb that his ancestors wore when they were defeated and enslaved by a neighboring African tribe and then sold to the Dutch. You know that's why he was angry at white people today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Or his interpretation of that traditional garb, based on what he has seen from various (possibly completely unrelated) sources.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:28:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's a piss-poor comparison.

He is the fucking "leader" and with that goes certain obligations, and even if it weren't an obligation, common decency and respect would motivate him to attend any and all active-duty funerals.

(I'm not a cop, nor am I related to any)

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:49:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You missed the whole "discovering their roots" thing from the 1970s, didn't you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a picture of our dear leading in the same kind of dress
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:52:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a picture of our dear leading in the same kind of dress
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, he's just wearing a proper hadji man-dress.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:56:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Simple answer:  It's part of the job.  Don't like doing the job?  Don't apply for the job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF...what a asshole.

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:58:24 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

He is the fucking "leader" and with that goes certain obligations, and even if it weren't an obligation, common decency and respect would motivate him to attend any nd all active-duty funerals.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He is the fucking "leader" and with that goes certain obligations, and even if it weren't an obligation, common decency and respect would motivate him to attend any nd all active-duty funerals.

Leaders establish standards in culture.

If the leader doesn't respect and value the police, the led won't respect and value police.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
the dead shooter had within the past week just visited south Dallas and handed out copies of his book in a barbershop while filming with a body cam... what's the chance the dead shooter wore that same body cam during his rampage attack in Baton Rouge?
View Quote

Kinda makes one wonder if passing out books was the only thing he did while in Dallas.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 4:10:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Kinda makes one wonder if passing out books was the only thing he did while in Dallas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
the dead shooter had within the past week just visited south Dallas and handed out copies of his book in a barbershop while filming with a body cam... what's the chance the dead shooter wore that same body cam during his rampage attack in Baton Rouge?

I would not be the least bit surprised to find out both incidents were coordinated and related.

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 4:12:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If the leader doesn't respect and value the police, the led won't respect and value police.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obama has made statements such as "the police acted stupidly", questioned whether or not police departments were rotten to the core by sending the DOJ before those departments had finished their own investigations, etc.

Hillary has a long history of hating cops and treating her own security details as less than scum.

It's easy to see how we got where we currently are.  The question is how do we get back to where we were.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 4:13:51 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Obama has made statements such as "the police acted stupidly", questioned whether or not police departments were rotten to the core by sending the DOJ before those departments had finished their own investigations, etc.

Hillary has a long history of hating cops and treating her own security details as less than scum.

It's easy to see how we got where we currently are.  The question is how do we get back to where we were.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Begin by respecting the law ourselves.

Then respect our police enough to elect leaders who respect them, and demand it of the people.

That leader must also hold police to the highest standard.

Grind those police who do something wrong into dust.

Support those police who do something right though unpopular 100% and then some.

Our enemies hate us and our institutions.  They are trying to corrupt them to make us distrust and destroy them.  If they destroy them, they can be

rebuilt.  If we, the supporters of our institutions and culture destroy them, they are gone forever.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 4:18:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I would not be the least bit surprised to find out both incidents were coordinated and related.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Assign three or four to the same target, each knowing that they are not the only ones given that target, but instruct them to vacate the area if another assigned individual beats them to the punch?

Maintains the "lone wolf" story, but increases the odds of someone being successful with an attack?
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#35]
KC, KS officer just got shot.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 4:33:23 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF...what a asshole.

You really can't be that stupid can you?

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 4:47:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF...what a asshole.

Attack my posts with facts and logic. You argue like a libtard by attacking the person instead of their ideas. Sometime it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool , than to speak and remove all doubt.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 4:47:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

http://krcgtv.com/news/local/kansas-city-ks-office-in-critical-condition-after-being-shot
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 4:47:56 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF...what a asshole.

What?

Did I seriously read that?

Sweet Fucking Jesus. Are you addled in your head?
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 4:52:37 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote

KIA
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 5:13:30 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Attack my posts with facts and logic. You argue like a libtard by attacking the person instead of their ideas. Sometime it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool , than to speak and remove all doubt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF...what a asshole.

Your post is so retarded and lacks any logic to attack.  And yes, your post was stupid and trying to defend it is laughable.

ETA:  You should take your own advice.

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 5:20:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
What?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF...what a asshole.

What?  

And he is from Florida.  Damn it, couldn't you not post that crap?

Edit.  That comment is referring to Standpipe.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 5:21:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Maybe I get riled up about stupid shit, but being a/the "leader" involves a lot more than having a big office with a thick carpet, and people who kiss your ass all day.

I guess I'm dumb enough to think everyone realized that.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 5:24:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Is there a thread on this ambush ?

Officer shot from behind as he walked back to his vehicle

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Is there a thread on this ambush ?

Officer shot from behind as he walked back to his vehicle

According to police, Flamion was shot from behind as he walked back to his car after stopping Antonio Taylor for speeding in the 300 block of New Ballwin Road. Taylor, 31, was arraigned Monday on charges of assault of a police officer, armed criminal action, and possessing a firearm as a felon

Found this.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1888594_Special_request_for_Ballwin_officer_shot_last_week_.html
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 5:28:48 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Was he transgender?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 5:30:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 5:36:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Your post is so retarded and lacks any logic to attack.  And yes, your post was stupid and trying to defend it is laughable.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF...what a asshole.

If you were the mayor of NYC and you were expected to attend a funeral for an NYPD officer killed in the line of duty, would you see it as an annoyance?

Use your own logic.

ETClarify: This was for Standpipe
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 6:45:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Damn it, officer is paralyzed and the shitbird is still breathing.
View Quote

However, shitbird made me chuckle just a little.  That was one of dad's favorite words.
Page / 74
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top