Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2016 8:16:37 PM EDT
I have a 2002 GMC Envoy (4.2l v6).  83,000 miles.  The car has been bulletproof.  Other than a few maintenance issues, it's a great station car. We only put about 5k on it a year.

Recently, the car has been a bit slow to start.  It cranks fine, and the starter turns OK, but it takes about 15-20 seconds to catch.  It's almost as though it has to prime the fuel lines from the tank to the engine.  It's worth noting that this only happens with the first cold start of the day.  Any subsequent starts, and the engine catches within 5 seconds.

What do you think? Plugged fuel filter, fuel pump going bad, or something else?
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 8:21:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a 2002 GMC Envoy (4.2l v6).  83,000 miles.  The car has been bulletproof.  Other than a few maintenance issues, it's a great station car. We only put about 5k on it a year.

Recently, the car has been a bit slow to start.  It cranks fine, and the starter turns OK, but it takes about 15-20 seconds to catch.  It's almost as though it has to prime the fuel lines from the tank to the engine.  It's worth noting that this only happens with the first cold start of the day.  Any subsequent starts, and the engine catches within 5 seconds.

What do you think? Plugged fuel filter, fuel pump going bad, or something else?
View Quote

I'd check filter for lots of dirt or moisture, air in the lines, and then fuel pump last.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 8:21:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Try turning the key to "on", then wait a few seconds before cranking it.  If the engine starts normally when you do this, I'd suspect that your fuel system is losing it's prime, or bleeding off pressure when it sits overnight.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 8:22:11 PM EDT
[#3]
When is the last time you replaced the plugs?
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 8:28:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Possible fuel pressure regulator dropping fuel pressure.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 8:45:16 PM EDT
[#5]
On that car I would guess it's the fuel pump. Check valve is leaking and the pump is weak enough it doesn't prime instantly.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#6]
If not fuel related,  crank or cam sensor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top