Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2016 12:44:11 PM EDT
I have an upcoming Revere's Rider's 2 day class and I plan on doing an Appleseed shoot with my son when he gets older. I've taken several multi-day pistol courses, but other than basic operation I dont know much about rifle shooting (ie: using a sling as a support, shooting from various positions, estimating dope, etc)

What is the ideal rifle and setup for these types of classes? Bolt or semi auto? Scope or irons? Peep sights or buckhorn? I shoot much better with peeps.

Accuracy is obviously important but I dont want (to pay) for a fully tricked out Volquartsen monster. Needs to have acceptable out of the box accuracy.

Requirements:

.22lr
Threaded barrel option
Provisioned for a sling
Would prefer it has a decent aftermarket incase I get stupid and want to dump a bunch of money into it later

What type of sights or scope do you recommend if aftermarket?

Sling?

I've heard that a 10/22 with tech sights is tough to beat, but I'm sure there are other options.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:55:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Just go with a 10/22.  

Unless you're wanting to be a hipster at any class you take the rifle to, in which case I'll suggest one of those Polish Mosin trainers in .22.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:55:46 PM EDT
[#2]
10/22 with scope and sling.

Simple.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:58:39 PM EDT
[#3]
bolt gun, 10/22 mags, threaded barrel.  American 22 compact.  http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRimfireCompact/specSheets/8306.html

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:59:13 PM EDT
[#4]
10/22 with trigger work and nodak spud sights.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:02:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Or tech sights. Trigger work will help a lot. Bolt buffer too. I can hit a 2" steel circle at 50 yards off hand over and over with mine shooting CCI standard.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:23:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Or tech sights. Trigger work will help a lot. Bolt buffer too. I can hit a 2" steel circle at 50 yards off hand over and over with mine shooting CCI standard.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely this!

A semi is the only way to fly for Appleseed. You can do it with a bolt gun, but you'll severely handicap yourself by doing so.

I set up a 10/22 for myself with Nodak front and rear sights, and a Kidd single stage trigger. It's in the Collector's Series stock, so it has the removable/adjustable stock bits so I can make it fit my kids when they learn how to shoot it.

I built another for my GF from parts I had laying around, and put it into a purple Hogue stock with Tech sights and a BX trigger.

They're both lasers out to 50 yards when using the sling with a variety of standard velocity ammo.

I'd recommend the Nodak sights over the Tech sights after shooting with both of them. The Nodak sights do cost a bit more, but seem to be far more solidly built, and the fit and finish is significantly better than the Tech sights. If you could get the AR front sight post in the Nodak front sights, they would be perfect. That's my only gripe with them, and only because it makes me keep track of another tool for the SKS style front post, but it's really a small gripe.

Cotton GI web sling is all you need. available everywhere, and cheap.

You'll probably end up liking it so much with open sights, that you won't want to futz around with optics later. If you do however, that's another reason to go with the Nodak sights. The rear sight has a Picatinny rail that covers the whole length of the receiver.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:25:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
bolt gun, 10/22 mags, threaded barrel.  American 22 compact.  http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRimfireCompact/specSheets/8306.html

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:25:31 PM EDT
[#8]
My favorite 22lr is the basic Liberty Training Rifle.
Google it for more info and photos.

The Liberty Training Rifle
10/22
auto bolt release mod (buy or diy)
tech sights
GI sling + swivels

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:31:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think I'd prefer a semi auto, but that is cool as shit. If a 10/22 came from the factory with a threaded barrel I'd go that way, but this looks tough to beat.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:33:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Definitely this!

A semi is the only way to fly for Appleseed. You can do it with a bolt gun, but you'll severely handicap yourself by doing so.

I set up a 10/22 for myself with Nodak front and rear sights, and a Kidd single stage trigger. It's in the Collector's Series stock, so it has the removable/adjustable stock bits so I can make it fit my kids when they learn how to shoot it.

I built another for my GF from parts I had laying around, and put it into a purple Hogue stock with Tech sights and a BX trigger.

They're both lasers out to 50 yards when using the sling with a variety of standard velocity ammo.

I'd recommend the Nodak sights over the Tech sights after shooting with both of them. The Nodak sights do cost a bit more, but seem to be far more solidly built, and the fit and finish is significantly better than the Tech sights. If you could get the AR front sight post in the Nodak front sights, they would be perfect. That's my only gripe with them, and only because it makes me keep track of another tool for the SKS style front post, but it's really a small gripe.

You'll probably end up liking it so much with open sights, that you won't want to futz around with optics later. If you do however, that's another reason to go with the Nodak sights. The rear sight has a Picatinny rail that covers the whole length of the receiver.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely this!

Why is a semi > bolt for appleseed? I dont know much about it. Being that it favors accuracy, I cant imagine the time to work the bolt is all that critical?
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:33:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I shot an Appleseed with a Henry H001.

I did...  okay.  

You want a 10/22.  

ETA:
Quoted:
Why is a semi > bolt for appleseed? I dont know much about it. Being that it favors accuracy, I cant imagine the time to work the bolt is all that critical?
View Quote

Because the purpose of Appleseed is to train the slung, unsupported prone position.

Movement of your body between shots can easily mess up your NPOA, especially for someone who is trying to learn.  If you already really know what you're doing?  Sure.  Bolt gun away.  But if you're there to learn how to shoot, chances are you'll learn more with the semi.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:34:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My favorite 22lr is the basic Liberty Training Rifle.
Google it for more info and photos.

The Liberty Training Rifle
10/22
auto bolt release mod (buy or diy)
tech sights
GI sling + swivels

https://assets.shootingillustrated.com/media/1534516/trainingrifle1.jpg

View Quote

LTR can be built with a Marlin 795 too. Tech sights, swivels, sling and so on.
I have had bad luck with 10/22s so I usually go with the Marlin.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:37:21 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

Timed shooting. Operating the bolt takes time, and you lose your sight picture with every shot, which also costs time.

Semi makes things much faster and easier.

The difference in bolt and semi accuracy at the ranges you'll be shooting is negligible.

Speed is important, and you'll do great if your rifle is just "accurate enough", which it will be.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:45:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Tagging this, I need to get a couple rifles to start training with my GF. That Liberty Training Rifle looks perfect.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:53:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I think I'd prefer a semi auto, but that is cool as shit. If a 10/22 came from the factory with a threaded barrel I'd go that way, but this looks tough to beat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it does, its the 10-22 Lite takedown.  but no sights so you are stuck with optics. http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Lite/models.html

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:05:31 PM EDT
[#16]
10/22 is the standard Appleseed rifle, but pretty much any semi-auto .22 with a detachable mag will work.  I've done it with an .22 AR conversion that weighed 9 pounds, although I wouldn't recommend it.

Personally, I prefer the Remington 597 because of the LRBHO.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 7:46:35 PM EDT
[#17]
A 10-22 with a BX trigger, sling, and Tech sights or straight 4X scope. I like to upgrade the extractor but that's optional. Fun and useful gun.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:38:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Sorry to bring back an old thread but I still havent pulled the trigger.

What about the M&P 15-22?
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 1:19:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have an upcoming Revere's Rider's 2 day class and I plan on doing an Appleseed shoot with my son when he gets older. I've taken several multi-day pistol courses, but other than basic operation I dont know much about rifle shooting (ie: using a sling as a support, shooting from various positions, estimating dope, etc)

What is the ideal rifle and setup for these types of classes? Bolt or semi auto? Scope or irons? Peep sights or buckhorn? I shoot much better with peeps.

Accuracy is obviously important but I dont want (to pay) for a fully tricked out Volquartsen monster. Needs to have acceptable out of the box accuracy.

Requirements:

.22lr
Threaded barrel option
Provisioned for a sling
Would prefer it has a decent aftermarket incase I get stupid and want to dump a bunch of money into it later

What type of sights or scope do you recommend if aftermarket?

Sling?

I've heard that a 10/22 with tech sights is tough to beat, but I'm sure there are other options.

View Quote

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductList/rifles-sig522.aspx

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_757786_-1_757784_757784_image

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/arx160/#Main
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 1:23:36 AM EDT
[#20]
10/22. Put http://www.tech-sights.com on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top