Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/29/2016 10:47:14 AM EDT
The wife is always up before me. She comes right back into the bed room, yesterday morning.

"Hey. There is a mouse on the stairs and the furnace guys are gonna be here soon".

Well, I figure it's another one of the dozen that the cat has caught, ate and then puked up where ever the hell she wants. The best one being at the base of the toilet that I stepped in one morning.

So, I get up cause my wife is a big wimp when it comes to handling dead stuff, and go out to scrape up the partially digested carcass of a mouse, only to find that it was in a trap.

Ok, I assume the cat dragged it upstairs from the basement. I bent down, picked it up and it grabbed onto the carpet. Once I had it in mid air, this thing is going nuts, flailing around. Its head was fully under the trap jaw and it was fully alive.

Wife freaked a little.

Cat wanted her toy back. Evidently she'd been "playing" with it cause it was missing a front leg and tail.

Took it out to the garage and went to dispatch it with a hammer which happened to be laying on the bench.

Smash on the head and it started trying to back out of the trap with its rear legs.  Never seen that kind of fight in one. I suppose it was just reflexes but it looked pretty deliberate to me.

Couple more whacks and that was it.

I'm just glad I wasn't up against this one in one of my living room safaris armed with only an airsoft. I might not be here to type the AAR.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:51:23 AM EDT
[#1]
We had rats make a home under the house a few years ago. I put traps out and caught quite a few. And yes, most were still alive and had to drown them in a five gallon bucket.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:53:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Rodents are how zombie outbreaks usually start.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:53:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe Larry Roberts can hook you up with rotisserie recipes

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:55:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, watched my uncle bash one on a rock after it survived the trap when I was little.  I think it's fairly common.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:59:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Had one in the basement that somehow trapped his rear leg.  I finished him off with a shovel.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:02:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Had a live raccoon in a large conibear neck trap when I was a kid. Fully closed around the neck. Thing had its backlegs on the trap trying to pull its head out.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:04:46 AM EDT
[#7]
what kind of pussy hammer you got OP

3+ hits to kill it

ETA added picture
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:05:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

This was one of the largest I've seen. Two or three like this would make a meal.

We haven't had any mice for quite a while. Not sure how this guy got in. I've had traps laid for a couple months, just in case and not caught one.

I'm wondering if somehow he got in a hole that was opened with the hvac guys were doing their thing.

I've caught them by the haunches, or just part of the head and they lived. But this was a perfect shot, base of skull. I would have bet money against a mouse taking that blow and living. Was a brand new trap.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:12:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Late one night last year I heard a mouse trap go off and a mouse thrashing around a bit.  Since it was just before bed time and I was tired, I figured I'd let the mouse die and throw it out in the morning.  

When I got up the next day I found that the mouse's head had been completely flattened by the trap, but much to my surprise the mouse was very much alive and struggling to get free.  I was amazed that any animal could have its head crushed, stay that way all night, and still have enough fight left in it to struggle that fiercely the next morning.  I ended up taking it out back and dispatching it with a .22.  I have no stomach for crushing mice manually, and I'm not sure it would have worked anyway.

It took 4 Colibris to get that little dude to die.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:14:56 AM EDT
[#10]
We used to put razors in the them - these kind fit perfectly between the rails

Most of the time they were decapitated immediately....sometimes half of their faces got cut off....they wandered about 2 inches before dying...  So no, none lived through our guillotines...
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:15:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This was one of the largest I've seen. Two or three like this would make a meal.

We haven't had any mice for quite a while. Not sure how this guy got in. I've had traps laid for a couple months, just in case and not caught one.

I'm wondering if somehow he got in a hole that was opened with the hvac guys were doing their thing.

I've caught them by the haunches, or just part of the head and they lived. But this was a perfect shot, base of skull. I would have bet money against a mouse taking that blow and living. Was a brand new trap.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Must be the new kinder/gentler traps mandated by the government after extensive lobbying by PETA. You were supposed to relocate the mouse to more suitable habitat away from evil humans with feline predators. Now you are on another list.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:17:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Ive had larger ones carry the trap off,  only to die later or be eaten by their fellows.   I tape my spring traps down now.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:19:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Had a mouse set off a trap in our mud room while the wife and I were watching TV.  Heard it happen and figured I'd go throw it in the trash.  On my way in there, I start hearing thrashing and scratching.  The trap only got the tip of his snout so I had to finish the job with a weight that was sitting in there.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:20:07 AM EDT
[#14]
The first dude almost got a free meal.......until his buddie came by and fucked it up.

Kinda metaphoric with life.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:20:21 AM EDT
[#15]
I had one run under the bar just in time for it to snap down right across the middle of both his nuts. It was pulling itself all around the room squealing.

I think I let him loose from it into the toilet and flushed him.  I felt really bad for the little bastard.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:21:45 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

Ballpeen. But I was trying not to splatter brains and guts all over my workbench.

First hit should have done it. The skull was completely smashed with brains coming out both sides. I couldn't believe it was struggling to get out of the trap or moving at all for that matter other than the death twitches you see in head trauma mammals, some times.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:23:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The first dude almost got a free meal.......until his buddie came by and fucked it up.

Kinda metaphoric with life.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd145/drsalee/c40dfccb.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:24:59 AM EDT
[#18]
I had one that kept stealing the bait.

One night I was sitting in the garage reloading, and I hear a scraping sound.

I look over and the fucker is pushing the trap along the floor to disarm it and then steal the bait.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:25:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Must be the new kinder/gentler traps mandated by the government after extensive lobbying by PETA. You were supposed to relocate the mouse to more suitable habitat away from evil humans with feline predators. Now you are on another list.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

HA!

No, these are plenty strong. The boy and I were playing the "see if you can trip it and get your finger out before the trap shuts" game. I missed once. Blue fingernail right at the cuticle.

Yes, it might seem a weird thing to do, but it will instill the ability to control your body and do something you know may hurt. I played it with my dad as a kid only with leg hold traps and not trying to beat the trap.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:26:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Are you SURE it was a "mouse?"  If it was strong enough to survive a trap and one or two bashes to the head it might have been a rat, or Yeager.  How big was it?  did it have a long goatee?  
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:26:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:27:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I look over and the fucker is pushing the trap along the floor to disarm it and then steal the bait.
View Quote

Uh, oh. They're getting smart. I may be in trouble.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:30:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I must have smarter mice that the rest of you guys. I can't seem to ever catch them in traditional traps.  I have gone to glue traps. These are the least humane things around. I had a mouse nearly pull the skin off of his skull trying to escape. Sick but effective
View Quote

If you get the Tom Cat traps, with the yellow plastic trigger, they have a little trough on the trigger right were the sear goes. Tom Cat has a paste bait you put in that trough.

Mice can't resist it and it forces them to step all the way onto the trigger.

It's as sure a trap as I've used. (I've not tried the bucket spinning log types, though. )
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:30:58 AM EDT
[#24]
No, but I've seen the little mother scratcher lick the trap perfectly clean of peanut butter and not set it off.

You wanted a war.

You got one.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:33:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/300/326/326-22013.jpg

Most of the time they were decapitated immediately....sometimes half of their faces got cut off....they wandered about 2 inches before dying...  So no, none lived through our guillotines...
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:36:58 AM EDT
[#26]
They are the catfish of the mammal world is more ways than one.

I've tens of thousands of the little bastards and some are surprizingly resiliant.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:38:34 AM EDT
[#27]
I had a trap under our oven and went to check it and it was gone. I noticed the cat sniffing around and checked it out. The mouse was alive! Dragging the trap with its front legs! It was caught and was trying to make a great escape. I picked it up and smashed it against the steps in a bag. Not the first one either.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:44:13 AM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:52:46 AM EDT
[#29]
I got a gross one.... got a mouse on a sticky trap... it pulled out it's entire tongue muscles and tendons. it was free from the trap,  but about 2" of tendons strong from it's mouth and the entire tonged still on the trap
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:56:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Is PETA knocking on your door yet?
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:59:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Yes.

Shit tends to go sideways when they enter the trap "backwards" and it snaps down about halfway down their back instead of right behind their neck.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:31:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I worked with a guy (who was a bit slow) years ago who had an ongoing feud with what he thought was one mouse.  He finally built a DMZ of double sided tape ,assuming the mouse would surely be caught by it.  

The mouse got the food, but the tape trap was foiled.  I remember the poor guy telling me about it, and in as earnest a voice there is saying "Pete, that mouse is smart.  he thinks of everything."  Funny stuff.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:33:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I got a gross one.... got a mouse on a sticky trap... it pulled out it's entire tongue muscles and tendons. it was free from the trap,  but about 2" of tendons strong from it's mouth and the entire tonged still on the trap
View Quote

I hate those.  I used one...once.  Mouse ripped its insides out by its asshole.  No kidding, its asshole stuck to the trap and it yanked its insides out.  Horrible way to go.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:38:00 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I hate those.  I used one...once.  Mouse ripped its insides out by its asshole.  No kidding, its asshole stuck to the trap and it yanked its insides out.  Horrible way to go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like my last trip to IHOP.

I came home to find one doing pushups on a glue trap once.  He didn't make it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:41:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Zombie mice can only be killed by a blow to the head.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 8:09:05 PM EDT
[#36]
That's a great story, Ridgerunner9876.

It's amazing how tough some of them are..  I remember opening the back door to let our cats in for a morning feeding.  One of them had a mouse in his mouth so I screamed and he dropped the mouse.  The mouse ran under a freezer so I tried to get him out from under with a coat hanger in my right hand and the cat in my left  I whacked it several times with the hanger but he was a like a ninja.  At this point, pissed off, I started to unload the freezer so I could walk it out of the alcove.  While unloading the freezer I knocked a spider plant off of a hook and made a mess.  Lost my sense of humor and started moving the freezer out of the alcove.  The sucker ran between my legs and was hiding behind the water heater in the laundry room that also has a half bath.  I'm trying to kill it with a broom handle and it sprints to another corner behind the toilet.  Grabbed it by the back of its neck and tossed it in the toilet and flushed.  I stood there and watched as the whirlpool tried to suck him down but he had a heck of a doggy paddle    This isn't a wimpy toilet. It's an old 3.5 gallon per flush unit, my favorite in the house...  At that point we made eye contact.  He was breathing hard and I was laughing.   I scooped him up and released him in the field.

TLDR crowd- respect.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 8:18:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Had one caught by the tail, dragged the trap off the porch, around the corner and 25 yards away.

Too bad it took me 3 days before I found it.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 8:20:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Had one caught by the tail, dragged the trap off the porch, around the corner and 25 yards away.

Too bad it took me 3 days before I found it.

View Quote

Did you name him Stinky?
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 8:21:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

If they ever learn to use sticks and twigs, we're fk'd!

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 8:27:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm just grateful that we have gunpowder.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:10:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Had a live raccoon in a large conibear neck trap when I was a kid. Fully closed around the neck. Thing had its backlegs on the trap trying to pull its head out.
View Quote

Coons are tough critters but I'd be real surprised to find one alive in a conibear.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:17:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It's amazing how tough some of them are..  I remember opening the back door to let our cats in for a morning feeding.  One of them had a mouse in his mouth so I screamed and he dropped the mouse.  The mouse ran under a freezer so I tried to get him out from under with a coat hanger in my right hand and the cat in my left  I whacked it several times with the hanger but he was a like a ninja.  At this point, pissed off, I started to unload the freezer so I could walk it out of the alcove.  While unloading the freezer I knocked a spider plant off of a hook and made a mess.  Lost my sense of humor and started moving the freezer out of the alcove.  The sucker ran between my legs and was hiding behind the water heater in the laundry room that also has a half bath.  I'm trying to kill it with a broom handle and it sprints to another corner behind the toilet.  Grabbed it by the back of its neck and tossed it in the toilet and flushed.  I stood there and watched as the whirlpool tried to suck him down but he had a heck of a doggy paddle    This isn't a wimpy toilet. It's an old 3.5 gallon per flush unit, my favorite in the house...  At that point we made eye contact.  He was breathing hard and I was laughing.   I scooped him up and released him in the field.

TLDR crowd- respect.
View Quote

We must be kindred spirits. That made me chuckle.

Google my screen name, mouse, and ar15.com
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:23:43 PM EDT
[#43]
I've killed more mice than I can count.  The only things I killed in Afghanistan were dirty goat fucking mice.  One actually bit my toe while I was sitting in a connex box wearing shower shoes.  I was pretty sure that was the end for me.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:25:32 PM EDT
[#44]
I've had a few of them get the bait without springing the trap...Last time I had to tie the bait down with thread
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:34:17 PM EDT
[#45]
I had one in my garage get flung off the trap and faceplate into the wall a few inches away where it left a bloody faceprint directly above the corpse. Best I can figure was that there were two of them, and he was standing on the bar when the other one set it off.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:41:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but the garage is where it's stored.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:39:33 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

TLDR crowd- respect.
View Quote

By now it has bred. The mice in your AO are now smarter and stronger. Only allow the weakest of your enemies to procreate, else you will become the weaker.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:46:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/300/326/326-22013.jpg

View Quote

I love this idea but with a utility blades for the big rat traps in the barn but I'm 90% sure I'd accidentally trip the trap and end up missing fingers. Might try it anyway I'll use my left hand just incase.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:55:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I must have smarter mice that the rest of you guys. I can't seem to ever catch them in traditional traps.  I have gone to glue traps. These are the least humane things around. I had a mouse nearly pull the skin off of his skull trying to escape. Sick but effective
View Quote

We used to live in a house that was infested with mice. The females of the family insisted I put down glue traps only because "they're more humane". Translation: "Bloody dead mice gross me out". After one got stuck on the trap, and his buddies came along and ate his brains and eyeballs, I started killing them with snap-traps and BB guns. Then a pregnant semi-feral cat had a litter of kittens under the house, and our mouse problem went away.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:06:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

That fucker deserves to live.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top