Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2016 10:12:40 PM EDT
I have been flipping cars/motorcycles for the past 10-12 years.  I have always turned a profit, albeit nothing astronomical, but enough for some decent play money.  I finally lost around 200 dollars on a motorcycle deal.  I thought the fix was going to be easier then it turned out to be.  My wife has had to be reminded about 5 times I'm ok with a small loss like that after turning a profit dozens of times.  Women....  Anyone else lose some scratch of a "flip"?
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:18:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Over a decade, if you've made more than you lost on the flip, you're doing fine. Assuming low/no overhead, out of the garage, etc.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:21:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Mehhh...if you don't lose a few every now and then your not trying hard enough
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:24:25 PM EDT
[#3]
did you buy up all the waterlogged pmags?
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:27:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Ah...it's a profit game.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:27:28 PM EDT
[#5]
You always turn a profit but losing 200 is a big deal?
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:37:09 PM EDT
[#6]
It happens once in awhile. Just gotta know when to cut your loss and walk away instead of dumping more money into something.
Bought a 97 crown vic last Monday for 200 bucks because it wouldn't start. Bad fuel pump. Sold it on Friday for 600 and did nothing but have it towed to my house.
Shouod have fixed it and probably made a grand but meh,easy 350 bucks for nothing.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:49:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Hide your dog. The BATFE man will be paying you a visit shortly.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:52:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I may lose money on my current flip project bike if I cant track down a new gas tank that don't cost an arm and a leg.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:54:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Selling guns for profit you say?

Hide yo dag, hide yo wife
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:57:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Selling guns for profit you say?

Hide yo dag, hide yo wife
View Quote

Habitually, even.  Might want to edit your OP, OP.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:15:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I currently have a 2000 caddilac STS that I am going to loose my ass on, but I think that it will be the first one in my life that its happened, so oh well.

Speed
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:23:01 PM EDT
[#12]
In before the no knock.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:44:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Gun flips are all done legally.  I do not like private sales always go through a dealer.  No worries.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:00:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Ah...it's a profit game.
View Quote

Take a chance and win some crap.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:02:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Gun flips are all done legally.  I do not like private sales always go through a dealer.  No worries.
View Quote

I'm pretty sure that's not how that works. Even if you're using an FFL for transfers, you're still "in the business" yourself, and would therefore need your own FFL.

Your dog's time is running out.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:04:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure that's not how that works. Even if you're using an FFL for transfers, you're still "in the business" yourself, and would therefore need your own FFL.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would it be "in the business" if he's buying them cheap and then shopping different FFLs who buy it at a higher price or sell on consignment?
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:10:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Ehh it's alright I think the last private sale flip I did was a couple years ago.  Mostly do cars and bikes.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:11:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Would it be "in the business" if he's buying them cheap and then shopping different FFLs who buy it at a higher price or sell on consignment?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If he's buying the guns with intent to make a profit or if he's regularly making a profit doing that, the answer is most likely yes.

This falls squarely under the category of shit that shouldn't be illegal, most people don't know is illegal, and could still get your ass thrown in prison anyways. Just like putting a pistol upper on a rifle lower without a NFA stamp.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:12:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If he's buying the guns with intent to make a profit or if he's regularly making a profit doing that, the answer is most likely yes.

This falls squarely under the category of shit that shouldn't be illegal, most people don't know is illegal, and could still get your ass thrown in prison anyways. Just like putting a pistol upper on a rifle lower without a NFA stamp.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:14:11 AM EDT
[#20]
You left out ho's.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:14:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Still not legal.....

Quoted:
Ehh it's alright I think the last private sale flip I did was a couple years ago.  Mostly do cars and bikes.

It has nothing to do with private sales. You can be buying from dealers and selling to dealers, if your motivation is profit, you need an FFL. I wouldn't admit that kind of thing on a forum that BATFE trolls, unless this is a BATFE troll thread.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:33:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I currently have a 2000 caddilac STS that I am going to loose my ass on, but I think that it will be the first one in my life that its happened, so oh well.

Speed
View Quote

That's fucking gross.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:42:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Come on you flip guns "legally"
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:55:40 AM EDT
[#24]
I am terrible at flipping bikes, I almost always lose money .  I mostly get them, think they are easy, waaaay overestimate my mechanical ability, tear them apart, spend a bunch of money, never get it running right again and then part them out.

I suck at it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:07:00 AM EDT
[#25]
WHAT
is a profit loss?
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:15:33 AM EDT
[#26]
I buy KTM dirt bikes, put on a light kit, and BOOM guys here locally through $$ at me, lol.

XC and XC-w models don't come with street legal kits, an no emissions  crap.

I usually pull the steering stabilizers and ebay them.  Its the bikes I buy pre Christmas  that sell by easter is the $$ run.

I ride a new to me bike every year :)
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:58:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It happens once in awhile. Just gotta know when to cut your loss and walk away instead of dumping more money into something.
Bought a 97 crown vic last Monday for 200 bucks because it wouldn't start. Bad fuel pump. Sold it on Friday for 600 and did nothing but have it towed to my house.
Shouod have fixed it and probably made a grand but meh,easy 350 bucks for nothing.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 3:31:12 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.Me56cab57540f9105f82a78fed2cd4f69H0&w=143&h=164&c=7&rs=1&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1.1

So is reading.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:27:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That's fucking gross.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speed

That's fucking gross.

Lose vs loose gone horribly wrong.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:32:33 AM EDT
[#30]
A guy I work with does this. I'm interested in learning more if you feel like sharing

Do you buy and sell on craigslist? Auctions? Do you have "car" knowledge or simply research to see what's a good deal to make a profit? How do you get started?

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:06:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That's fucking gross.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speed

That's fucking gross.

ROFL, that was a typo, but it strangely is fitting with the way I feel about the car.

Speed

I may have to go to Ryans Steakhouse for a  bite to eat.......

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:07:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I have been flipping cars/motorcycles for the past 10-12 years.  I have always turned a profit, albeit nothing astronomical, but enough for some decent play money.  I finally lost around 200 dollars on a motorcycle deal.  I thought the fix was going to be easier then it turned out to be.  My wife has had to be reminded about 5 times I'm ok with a small loss like that after turning a profit dozens of times.  Women....  Anyone else lose some scratch of a "flip"?
View Quote

More times than I can remember.  Don't discuss business with your wife.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top