Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:48:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Also watch your blood pressure with ibuprofen.  Tylenol may be safer.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:51:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Bye bye liver
View Quote
Actually it kills your kidneys. Before my back surgery I was up to 19 200mg tablets a day. My daughter, a doctor was having a fit. No more than 3 at a time and never on an empty stomach. Try to fix what's hurting.

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:51:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Standard sick call script is 2x800mg ibuprofen for tendonitis, shin splints, broken leg, etc. morning and evening.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:53:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I was on 2400 mg a day but switched over to Meloxicam,much easier on the stomach. I've been having a systemic immune reaction that has kicked the holy hell out of my joints for the past 7 months. My liver is taking a beating but the alternative is immobility.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:53:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I was claiming tylenol should be higher. so not wrong.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Number two cause of liver damage.  Second only to alcohol.

not tylenol?

Wrong, Tylenol causes more liver damage than alcohol.

I was claiming tylenol should be higher. so not wrong.

I was agreeing  with you, and telling the other guy he was wrong.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:54:33 PM EDT
[#6]
An issue with taking NSAIDS and racing in endurance sports is the dander of dehydration which increases concentration in the liver.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:03:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tylenol don't do shit. The only reason for anyone to take Tylenol is if you're a kid with a fever (aka no aspirin due to Reyes)
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:11:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Tylenol don't do shit. The only reason for anyone to take Tylenol is if you're a kid with a fever (aka no aspirin due to Reyes)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My experience has been that Tylenol is useless as a pain reliever.  Aspirin works better.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:12:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I usually try to alternate Ibuprophen, Acetaminophen and Aspirin to make sure I'm not getting too much of any one medicine.
Try to spread them out to four hours apart.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:12:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Stutter punch

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:40:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Disregard
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:58:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The prescription ones are 800 mg.  So four normal ones.  So I'd say that's safe.  
View Quote

I came to post this.

800 mg every morning.

I'm not old, I just got worked hard.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:22:21 AM EDT
[#13]
<3.2g per 24 hours.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:02:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
800 mg tablets at night make me hallucinate.  I honestly had a situation when a girlfriend dropped in for a middle night visit and I was so out of it I thought she was a intruder.  Scared the crap out of her  and I just remembered a crazy dream about a burglar breaking in, this was back in my college days.
View Quote

I would go crazy on it. Almost killed myself when I had hip problems (I run/swim/bike like the OP) I also only have one kidney! I'm only allowed to use Voltaren gel now.

If I take them now I get all sorts of screwed up and will shit my guts out for hours. Be careful, I was once like you OP. But I'm 29.....

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:05:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I would go crazy on it. Almost killed myself when I had hip problems (I run/swim/bike like the OP) I also only have one kidney! I'm only allowed to use Voltaren gel now.

If I take them now I get all sorts of screwed up and will shit my guts out for hours. Be careful, I was once like you OP. But I'm 29.....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
800 mg tablets at night make me hallucinate.  I honestly had a situation when a girlfriend dropped in for a middle night visit and I was so out of it I thought she was a intruder.  Scared the crap out of her  and I just remembered a crazy dream about a burglar breaking in, this was back in my college days.

Fyi not as in attempted suicide. More as in the drugs were about to kill me. I will probably need a new kidney when I am 60 :-(

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:36:34 AM EDT
[#16]
3200mg a day or you ain't got a hair on your ass.  I've lived on Ranger candy for years but I recently gave it up when it stopped working. Believe it or not, I'm having good luck with plain old ASA.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:40:13 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Whatever it takes to kill you, then back off that dosage by one caplet.

This the only empirical way to arrive at the correct answer.
View Quote
Well, there you go being all empirical and shit...again.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:09:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've got multiple medical doctors in my family, including a couple surgeons, and they all agree that you can take 800 milligrams every 8 hours for several weeks. That's the prescription dose and it's what it took to stop me from hating life the last time I broke ribs.
View Quote

That's what i'm doing every 6-8 hours for a stone.  Doc told me to do it for up to 2 weeks before checking back in.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:22:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Does (1) 600mg script work better than (3) 200mg OTC?  Or am I crazy?  Placebo effect?

I swear, it feels like a 600mg works better.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 3:08:12 AM EDT
[#20]
I have severe arthritis in both shoulders and when it really starts to hurt I will do between 1800-2400 in 24 hours to ease the pain. It has eaten my stomach up though.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 3:10:48 AM EDT
[#21]
I'll do 800mg if I have a headache.  I'll only need once dose.

I do take aleve twice a day though for other issues.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 4:04:27 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

My MD buddy takes 4 regular strength pills if we drink and he wakes up with a hangover.

So yeah Im sure that is safe for people in good health once in a while.  If you are taking them daily you need to see a Dr.

That shit is hard on your stomach at the very least. Welcome to ulcers.
View Quote
I have no stomach issues when taking 4x200mg twice daily of the Advil brand tablets, the coated ones that look like M&Ms. Uncoated generic ibuprofen on the other hand, tears up my stomach.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 4:08:14 AM EDT
[#23]
I've got similar pain issues O.P.

Most days I just try and deal with or live with the pain, as it's the affects from long term use of these meds that cause issues.  

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 5:11:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Bye bye liver kidneys
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:15:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Maximum Daily Dose in an otherwise healthy adult is 3200 mg per day in divided doses at no more than 800 mg per.

It should be taken with a full glass of water,  and at maximum dosages,  should not be taken for more than 2 weeks.

It is metabolized primarily in the kidneys so anyone with any renal issues should discuss it with their doc.  Also,  it can conribute to ulcers and gastritis, and can elevate blood pressure. It is generally not a potent blood thinner like aspirin,  and also should be avoided in pregnancy.
View Quote
Thank you fish.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#26]
You're fine at that dosage.

Keep in mind that you shouldn't have to take it every day.  If that's the case, that's natures way of saying slow down (sorry).

But occasional use is fine.

You could also try other turmeric powder (curcumin), it has reasonably good anti-inflammatory properties, about equal to ibuprofen.

The one odd thing that gives me pause about ibuprofen is the significant incident rate of Stevens-Johnson Syndrome (do a google images search).  Ibuprofen can trigger it.  It's where your immune system attacks the skin.  Your skin peels off and you die in agony in a manner of hours or days.  It always starts as a rash.  If you EVER start taking ibuprofen and get a rash, stop and get your ass to a doctor and no I'm not kidding.  There's a big fucking reason that warning about rashes is on the bottle and it's not bullshit.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 3:20:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
 What is a reasonable, safe maximum dose  of Vitamin Ibruprofen ?.
.  I am a bit over 8 in dog years, and  have some  pain(s) from my regular  weight lifting, bicycling, running, engine swaps,  suspension lifts, and "Hold my beer and watch this"  activities...

Is it normal, at middle age  to  need  4 Ibuprofen  before a sprint tri-athlon, or  25 mile bicycle ride to  feel okay ?
View Quote

800mg? why not? That's within the 24 hour safe limit.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 3:28:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
800mg is max dose at a time, and I think 2400mg is max for any 24hr period
View Quote

This is what my doc said.

Always eat something with it.

Don't drink alcohol when on ibuprofen.

Try other anti inflamatories. They work differently for different people. Orudus (sp) does well for me.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 3:37:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I wouldn't take too much, I took a lot in my lifetime and i'm worried that if I started taking it daily again, my stomach would eat itself out

Also, it is possible to take 3 800mg ones and a redbull and carry on... that's what it was like getting my wisdoms pulled out in AIT
View Quote

It's possible so long as you don't need your kidneys anymore,  Why people blithely disregard prescription instructions is beyond me.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top