Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 6/27/2016 7:25:53 PM EDT
Had a visit from two Jehovah's Witnesses earlier this afternoon. I asked them if they earned bonus points for going door-to-door in this hot weather. They seemed offended. Hell, it was a serious question - I wonder about these things!

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:35:22 PM EDT
[#1]
answer the door naked holding a .45 and they will never come back.  Ask me how i know.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I would ask why their churches have no windows. What do they do in there?
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:41:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Well they are open to the public so maybe try going and finding out?
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:45:10 PM EDT
[#4]
A friend of mine had a statue of St. Francis in an alcove near the front door of their house. Depending on the season, they would change his head cover. A small hand woven straw hat and for the warmer months. And a warmer hat (Santa Claus style) during the colder months.

We were in the the driveway loading up our trucks to go somewhere when a group walked up to the front door. We just figured that they were missionaries or something and my friend's parents would send them away after some small chat.

Apparently, the group walked up to the front door and saw St. Francis with a Santa Hat and an umbrella. They walked up to the courtyard, turned around, and left without saying a word.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:46:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No way, I'm scared. You go and come back and tell me.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:47:19 PM EDT
[#6]
knock knock. Who's there? Jehova's witness.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:47:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went with my aunt and my cousin when I was like 14-15. I fell asleep.  It was about as boring as my church.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:50:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Brainwashed Cultest,,,,,,
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

So...

Religion?
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I went with my aunt and my cousin when I was like 14-15. I fell asleep.  It was about as boring as my church.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  They worship just like any other church.  Other than the fact they worship Jehovah rather than Jesus,  they are not all that different from you and I and like any other church setting,  you have the down to earth types on up to the straight up hypocritical thumpers.   I went with my mother in my childhood,  It was boring to me.  Nice people otherwise.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:54:29 PM EDT
[#11]
A friend just said, "Answer the door stark naked - and toss a 10" dildo to the nearest one. Then blurt out - here, hold this, I'll be right back... and slam the door shut" He said you can't count to 10 before they're backing out of the driveway.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:00:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yep.  They worship just like any other church.  Other than the fact they worship Jehovah rather than Jesus,  they are not all that different from you and I and like any other church setting,  you have the down to earth types on up to the straight up hypocritical thumpers.   I went with my mother in my childhood,  It was boring to me.  Nice people otherwise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:00:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Www.jw.org - now you don't have to leave the basement
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:01:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Becoming a jw would probably be good for me.

Couldn't be a Lion's fan anymore.

End my suffering...
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:04:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:05:44 PM EDT
[#16]
JW threads here are just as tiring as the Trump Hillary threads to me.

If your curious as to what they believe, ask them. I've got a Muslim coworker who I had questions about their diet, what constitutes Halal, so I asked him. Certainly figured he'd know...

I really don't get the hatred for a group that does work for free... They are no more a cult than any other religion and they make some valid points...

Frankly, the more I observe in the news, I hope they are right and God does purge the world soon. It's getting crazier than ever...
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:07:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If your curious as to what they believe, ask them. I've got a Muslim coworker who I had questions about their diet, what constitutes Halal, so I asked him. Certainly figured he'd know...

I really don't get the hatred for a group that does work for free... They are no more a cult than any other religion and they make some valid points...

Frankly, the more I observe in the news, I hope they are right and God does purge the world soon. It's getting crazier than ever...
View Quote

+1 on all of the above.  

A lot of them are genuinely good people.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:08:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote
No hatred here - I did ask them. They seemed annoyed by my honest question. YMMV

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:09:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:48:18 PM EDT
[#20]
My neighbor is a JW and he's the finest man I've ever met.  Couldn't ask for a better neighbor...
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:05:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Hi All

Yes my post count is low I just read here most of the time

I am a Jehovah's Witness

I figure myself to be a regular guy

Ask away if you like but please I dont talk bad to you please dont badmouth me.

Kid
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:06:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Hi All

I am a Jehovah's Witness

Kid
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:11:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hi All

I am a Jehovah's Witness

Kid
View Quote

What's with the, and I'm paraphrasing here, "beer ok, tobacco not" policy?
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:15:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You'd probably be disappointed. Mostly they talk about how everyone outside their sect is totally fucked, and plan on how they can help people see the truth and save them. Those guys going door to door are very sincere. They think you're doomed unless they can get you to see things their way, and they are putting in their own time to try to change your mind because they genuinely think it is that important. I don't understand why some folks are so mean to them. It's one thing to think they are dumb or misguided. They mean well. All you really need to do is just firmly but politely tell them you are not interested, and they will go.

Disclosure: I was raised a JW, but as an adult, I just didn't believe in their version of God. Turns out, telling them you used to be a JW and know about their beliefs, but do not share them, is a pretty quick end of discussion.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:15:55 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for that Turd Furgusen. I was really only joking and not really all that curious. Religious folk are all generally somewhat wacky to me since I am I guess what you would call agnostic, but I am not a hater. I have some great Christian friends. For all I know, the JWs might be the ones who got it right. Its got to be better than Issslom.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Had a visit from two Jehovah's Witnesses earlier this afternoon. I asked them if they earned bonus points for going door-to-door in this hot weather. They seemed offended. Hell, it was a serious question - I wonder about these things!  
View Quote

You could have helped cool them off by hitting them with the hose.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:21:34 PM EDT
[#27]
I've found that JWs are busybodies that don't respect property rights.

The scorn is well earned.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:26:14 PM EDT
[#28]
I have had dealings with them through work and found them to be very honest folks. Thats not as common as it should be when dealing with churches.

Also I have been inside one of their Assembly Halls. Very clean and well kept but absolutely no iconography at all, which I understand they are against.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:30:00 PM EDT
[#29]
They came to my door after I got back in state from my 8 year old nephews funeral.  Saw that I was busted up, and read a prayer for me on my doorstep.  They don't bother me - never will follow them, but they sure don't seem to be causing harm.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:30:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've found that JWs are busybodies that don't respect property rights.

The scorn is well earned.
View Quote

Because walking up your walk or driveway and ringing your doorbell or knocking on the door or,  GASP!  saying hi to you in your yard is so disrespectful.  

Sharing their beliefs,  That is what they do,  that is what they are directed to do by their religion.  Has nothing to do with being busybodies.  They genuinely are trying to better the world in their view.  

If you are seriously that butthurt about them bugging you,  Tell them you are ex-communicated from the kingdom halls.  I usually tell them I am not interested and politely accept their literature,  They then leave and I can do what I will with the literature.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:37:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi All

I am a Jehovah's Witness

Kid

Beer is ok in moderation but getting fall down hammered is not. The reasoning is more or less, Jesus drank wine so it must not be all bad.

Whereas tobacco is fatal.  It's meant to keep the congregation kinda pure.... Not sure how to explain really.

You could argue "well why eat carbs, or sugar,etc?" But it's really a matter of limits. It's all about balance.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:41:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Nobody killed Jesus Christ.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:44:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Just don't knock on my door...
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:46:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

So...

Religion?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So...

Religion?

Mostly cult.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:47:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correction - jehovahs witnesses do follow Jesus, but only serve jehovah - they even follow his commands at Matthew 28:18-20- 19 "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” But throughout Jesus earthly ministry he never once ever asked for praise for himself, when people bowed to him he corrected them always giving glory to his father - the creator of all things - jehovah - who's name was removed from most bibles and replaced with only titles like "lord" and "almighty"

Psalms 83:18 - "That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth."
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:50:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Terrible idea.  You will never be able to shake them.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:51:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Had one come to my door.  We talked for quite a while.  Didn't seem to get anywhere with him until I asked him why Jesus received the worship of men if He was not God manifest in the flesh.

He was puzzled and said he would have to look into that.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:54:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Correction - jehovahs witnesses do follow Jesus, but only serve jehovah - they even follow his commands at Matthew 28:18-20- 19 "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” But throughout Jesus earthly ministry he never once ever asked for praise for himself, when people bowed to him he corrected them always giving glory to his father - the creator of all things - jehovah - who's name was removed from most bibles and replaced with only titles like "lord" and "almighty"

Psalms 83:18 - "That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth."
View Quote

Yes. We believe in Jesus, who said: “"I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."” (John 14:6) We have faith that Jesus came to earth from heaven and gave his perfect human life as a ransom sacrifice. (Matthew 20:28) His death and resurrection make it possible for those exercising faith in him to gain everlasting life. (John 3:16) We also believe that Jesus is now ruling as King of God’s heavenly Kingdom, which will soon bring peace to the entire earth. (Revelation 11:15) However, we take Jesus at his word when he said: “"The Father is greater than I am."” (John 14:28) So we do not worship Jesus, as we do not believe that he is Almighty God.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:56:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
A friend just said, "Answer the door stark naked - and toss a 10" dildo to the nearest one. Then blurt out - here, hold this, I'll be right back... and slam the door shut" He said you can't count to 10 before they're backing out of the driveway.  
View Quote

Why would a guy have a dildo on hand to throw at some strangers.  Your friend is strange.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:57:20 PM EDT
[#40]
I grew up around it could get clear fast enough when I got out of my parents house.  My brother calls them russellites.

Still one of my favorite MP scenes ever.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:57:39 PM EDT
[#41]
A big dog and a 1911 in your belt seems to keep them at bay . They ignore the no trespassing signs at the beginning of my 700+ foot driveway
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:59:07 PM EDT
[#42]
All along the watchtower............
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:59:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Correction - jehovahs witnesses do follow Jesus - they even follow his commands at Matthew 28:18-20- 19 "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” But throughout Jesus earthly ministry he never once ever asked for praise for himself, when people bowed to him he corrected them always giving glory to his father - the creator of all things - jehovah - who's name was removed from most bibles and replaced with only titles like "lord" and "almighty"

View Quote

Jesus Christ is the Creator, and He certainly did receive the worship of men.

Mt 2:2 Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.

Mt 2:11 And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh.

Mt 8:2 And, behold, there came a leper and worshipped him, saying, Lord, if thou wilt, thou canst make me clean.

Mt 9:18 While he spake these things unto them, behold, there came a certain ruler, and worshipped him, saying, My daughter is even now dead: but come and lay thy hand upon her, and she shall live.

Mt 14:33 Then they that were in the ship came and worshipped him, saying, Of a truth thou art the Son of God.

Mt 15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Mt 15:25 Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me.

Mt 18:26 The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.

Mt 20:20 Then came to him the mother of Zebedee’s children with her sons, worshipping him, and desiring a certain thing of him.

Mt 28:9 And as they went to tell his disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, All hail. And they came and held him by the feet, and worshipped him.

Many more verses show where men worshipped Jesus, and Jesus received that worship.

And as far as God's name?  He has many.  Jehovah is not His only name.  Jesus is one.  Jealous is another.

Ex 34:14 For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:02:57 PM EDT
[#44]
And here come the j hovs........
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:04:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yes. We believe in Jesus, who said: “"I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."” (John 14:6) We have faith that Jesus came to earth from heaven and gave his perfect human life as a ransom sacrifice. (Matthew 20:28) His death and resurrection make it possible for those exercising faith in him to gain everlasting life. (John 3:16) We also believe that Jesus is now ruling as King of God’s heavenly Kingdom, which will soon bring peace to the entire earth. (Revelation 11:15) However, we take Jesus at his word when he said: “"The Father is greater than I am."” (John 14:28) So we do not worship Jesus, as we do not believe that he is Almighty God.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Jews knew exactly who Jesus claimed to be:

Joh 5:18 Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

And of course, Jesus made it clear Himself: Jesus cast out devils with a wave of His hand.

Lu 11:20 But if I with the finger of God cast out devils, no doubt the kingdom of God is come upon you.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:05:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

They build their own halls. It's easier to build a wall with no windows.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:05:46 PM EDT
[#47]

"Want to save the Post Office some money?  Have the JW deliver the mail."

Forget which comedian said this.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:06:25 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Why would a guy have a dildo on hand to throw at some strangers.  Your friend is strange.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol, I just don't answer the door. Its easier and I don't have to keep a dildo in the house.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:06:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much this. My best friend is a JW, and an ARFCOMMER. He has a shockingly normal life. If he told you about his week and said "church" instead end of "the hall" you wouldn't pass any judgement on him. His daily challenges are the same as yours, he cares about the same things that you do, and at the end of the day he's just People Doing what People Do, just like you.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:07:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Hi All

I am a Jehovah's Witness

Kid
View Quote

Does it suck not celebrating holidays?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top