Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:10:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I came home from a work trip, to find our street lined with fire/rescue/police cars. I pull onto my front yard because their is an ambulance in my driveway and run into the house. It ends up the baby got a hold of a small ibuprofen and my wife freaked out.

After the paperwork the police pull me aside when I went I to get something out of my truck to ask if the front room was my study, if I was previously in the service, and if the firearm laying against the wall was real or airsoft (its an airsoft AR-15).

The doors to my office are always closed. My sister in law said that the police went into every room in my house and into the basement.

It really makes me want to call 911 again when they go on a felony hunt because we called for emergency medical help. Sure, they were doing it for "safety", but you know damn well that for calling medical help, was also opening my house to a full search without any warrant or consent.

My wife was completely happy at the fire rescue, but very pissed that the police felt the need to do a top to bottom search when they were called for a pill ingestion/possible choking infant. She will always be apprehensive about calling for now on, job well done.

Flame away blue line, flame away,
View Quote

I see the problem, it's initials are NY.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 12:26:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Called 911 three times for emergency medical and never had any issue.

First time was for myself when spinal fluid was leaking out of my skull in FL. EMS only arrived.

Second was for a neighbor that was unconscious on the floor. EMS only arrived.

Third was for my mother. EMS only arrived.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 12:27:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I see it all the time here in WI especially in smaller towns where Fire/EMS are volunteer based or are contracted out of a place further away and a officer or deputy is closer than a rescue unit.

YMMV.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why were the police there in the first place?

Police are routinely dispatched to fire and rescue calls.

In Detroit maybe.

I've never seen it.

I see it all the time here in WI especially in smaller towns where Fire/EMS are volunteer based or are contracted out of a place further away and a officer or deputy is closer than a rescue unit.

YMMV.

Yup, LE will get there before ems.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 12:47:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Move OP, seriously don't support those dickbags with your tax dollars.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 1:11:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

OST.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 1:22:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
As someone who has been in LE for 21 years, that seems like an illegal search to me.  I've responded with EMS numerous times,but it's usually because they've either requested police assistance because of past history or I'm closer and can start aid before they arrive.  But it have never conducted a search described by the OP.  Maybe I misunderstood the 4th Amendment regarding unlawful search and seizure.   Then again, unfortunately the OP is in NY and it is a screwed up place.
View Quote

You got your yearly post in.

It was a 2/10

Where is your god now?
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 1:32:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Just to see if you had any guns that weren't on your papers comrade.

That's how it works up there right?

Only difference between about New York and Moscow is that arfcom doesn't slobber de Blasios dick while they seem to want Putin bearback.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 1:33:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

OST.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

OST.
Apparently you would enjoy the man searching your whole domain on a medical call for a child.

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 1:44:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In many cities police are the EMS first responders and get dispatched in tandem with the ambulance on all 9-1-1 medical calls. In other cities the fire department is the EMS first responder entity, but police (also trained as first responders) get dispatcher on certain medical calls (like pediatric emergencies, cardiac arrests, etc.).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In many cities police are the EMS first responders and get dispatched in tandem with the ambulance on all 9-1-1 medical calls. In other cities the fire department is the EMS first responder entity, but police (also trained as first responders) get dispatcher on certain medical calls (like pediatric emergencies, cardiac arrests, etc.).

Pretty  much this.. I was a dispatcher and when I take the 911 call and drop it into the system,  LE gets it along with whatever  asset I am sending.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 9:30:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
my ex-gf had her car stolen when she lived in Brooklyn.  2 cops came over to take a report and they also went into every room of the apt and even looked through drawers
View Quote

NYPD made a housecall to take a stolen vehicle report? I'm calling shenanigans on this one.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 9:45:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

NYPD made a housecall to take a stolen vehicle report? I'm calling shenanigans on this one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
my ex-gf had her car stolen when she lived in Brooklyn.  2 cops came over to take a report and they also went into every room of the apt and even looked through drawers

Huh?
We got those calls all the time.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 9:50:14 AM EDT
[#12]
NY gonna NY.

Also don't be surprised if you get child services knocking on you door next.

Doesn't NY require guns to be locked away?  Had that been a real AR you probably would have walked way with cuffs too.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 9:53:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 9:56:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What county?
View Quote

Was it Nassau, Suffolk or Westchester

If it was NYC I think op would have been arrested as I'm pretty sure  air soft guns are illegal there.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 9:58:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:03:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If it was NYC I think op would have been arrested as I'm pretty sure  air soft guns are illegal there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What county?

Air soft guns are illegal!!??

You are joking right?
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:11:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Move to Kentucky OP. You can leave a real AR15 with a drum mag sitting out next to you in your front seat of your car. If you get pulled over the police officer will probably just say "sweet gun, brah"
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:22:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You are joking right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What county?

You are joking right?

Everything free America likes is illegal in NYC.

NYC requires all realistic toy or imitation firearms be made of clear or brightly colored plastics.[66] Furthermore, New York City makes possession of any pistol or rifle or similar instrument in which the propelling force is a spring or air unlawful without a license. See New York City Administrative Code § 10-131(b) and New York City Administrative Code § 10-131(g)(1)(a).[67]
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:29:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:34:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
To be fair though, I heard that from a police officer there was a State Trooper who saved a guy at the State Fair a few years ago with one of those electric cpr things-also found a legal pistol on the guy, took it and gave it back to the guy when he got out of the hospital
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:35:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I came home from a work trip, to find our street lined with fire/rescue/police cars. I pull onto my front yard because their is an ambulance in my driveway and run into the house. It ends up the baby got a hold of a small ibuprofen and my wife freaked out.

After the paperwork the police pull me aside when I went I to get something out of my truck to ask if the front room was my study, if I was previously in the service, and if the firearm laying against the wall was real or airsoft (its an airsoft AR-15).

The doors to my office are always closed. My sister in law said that the police went into every room in my house and into the basement.

It really makes me want to call 911 again when they go on a felony hunt because we called for emergency medical help. Sure, they were doing it for "safety", but you know damn well that for calling medical help, was also opening my house to a full search without any warrant or consent.

My wife was completely happy at the fire rescue, but very pissed that the police felt the need to do a top to bottom search when they were called for a pill ingestion/possible choking infant. She will always be apprehensive about calling for now on, job well done.

Flame away blue line, flame away,
View Quote

So what did they say when you asked them why they were going through your house, and why they responded in the first place since a baby swallowing an ibuprofen is not a 1st responder's issue?
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:36:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Airsoft, it's a MOFO!
View Quote

Good thing it wasn't cardboard.

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:48:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Everything free America likes is illegal in NYC.

NYC requires all realistic toy or imitation firearms be made of clear or brightly colored plastics.[66] Furthermore, New York City makes possession of any pistol or rifle or similar instrument in which the propelling force is a spring or air unlawful without a license. See New York City Administrative Code § 10-131(b) and New York City Administrative Code § 10-131(g)(1)(a).[67]
View Quote

MY GOD!!

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#24]
A home resident should be able to ask LE responders to remain outside while the medical situation is handled by EMS. Keep the door closed or close the door after EMS enters, then speak to LE after the EMS leaves.  This would be difficult if the situation was severe or intense, or the caller was in panic mode.  

If you have the presence of mind to refuse their entry/don't need their help, what could the on scene LE do (not talking about EMS)?

Kick your door in or taze you in your doorway? Or wait?
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:26:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
TL;DR
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:37:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Tagged for CPS visits.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:50:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I wonder if every room in your house was subject to plain view? Am I using the phrase correctly?
View Quote

Of course it is. Once you go into a house,open the doors,walk in and use your flashlight to search around,things are generally in plain view. If you want to see panties and pistols just open the drawers. Then they are in plain view as well. If you snap a few pics with your phone of massagers in the drawers you can probably show your friends the items in plain view also.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 12:00:56 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Should they be searching the home as well? Especially when it's a readily apparent issue.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Should they be searching the home as well? Especially when it's a readily apparent issue.  

Read this:  http://www.mintpressnews.com/two-recent-supreme-court-decisions-nullify-constitutional-rights/217799/

The 4th Amendment has been practically dissolved.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 1:40:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
they would be plenty safe if they stayed at the cop shop or dunkin donuts  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Officer safety is the excuse
they would be plenty safe if they stayed at the cop shop or dunkin donuts  

So would we; they could actually be found when needed.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 1:51:30 PM EDT
[#30]
You think the cops screwed you over....wait till you get the ambulance bill!
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 7:39:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
'Hold on buddy, the ambulance is coming" [lights cigarette]  

to be fair although I heard that from a police officer there was a State Trooper who saved a guy at the State Fair a few years ago with one of those electric cpr things-also found a legal pistol on the guy, took it and gave it back to the guy when he got out of the hospital
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

The officers are already on the road in their cars. They typically get to the emergency faster to help stabilize the situation until Fire/EMS get there.
'Hold on buddy, the ambulance is coming" [lights cigarette]  

to be fair although I heard that from a police officer there was a State Trooper who saved a guy at the State Fair a few years ago with one of those electric cpr things-also found a legal pistol on the guy, took it and gave it back to the guy when he got out of the hospital

Most Leo in MN are first responders, even without that we can get an accurate account of the situation (what happened, condition of the patient, accurate location/directions). The account relayed to 911 is almost never accurate. Victims are often not RIGHT at a specific address. The more info you can get to the ems prior to their arrival the faster they get help.
I get to the site first, ambulance Cree gets there faster because I directed them directly to the victim. They know exactly what they are looking at when they arrive (type of injury/medical) victims vitals have already been taken and relayed to the crew before they arrive. I have a list of medications and allergies their name address date of birth and insurance info to hand off to them as soon as they get out.
And that is assuming the situation is something outside my ability to give aid.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 7:41:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
A home resident should be able to ask LE responders to remain outside while the medical situation is handled by EMS. Keep the door closed or close the door after EMS enters, then speak to LE after the EMS leaves.  This would be difficult if the situation was severe or intense, or the caller was in panic mode.  

If you have the presence of mind to refuse their entry/don't need their help, what could the on scene LE do (not talking about EMS)?

Kick your door in or taze you in your doorway? Or wait?
View Quote

If you don't want help, don't call
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:16:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Most Leo in MN are first responders, even without that we can get an accurate account of the situation (what happened, condition of the patient, accurate location/directions). The account relayed to 911 is almost never accurate. Victims are often not RIGHT at a specific address. The more info you can get to the ems prior to their arrival the faster they get help.
I get to the site first, ambulance Cree gets there faster because I directed them directly to the victim. They know exactly what they are looking at when they arrive (type of injury/medical) victims vitals have already been taken and relayed to the crew before they arrive. I have a list of medications and allergies their name address date of birth and insurance info to hand off to them as soon as they get out.
And that is assuming the situation is something outside my ability to give aid.
View Quote

Wow, I have yet to see PD do that... vitals, insurance ect.

I did it for free for 6 years, going on 20 being payed...

Most of the time LEO shows up only when we call. Depending upon where the call is, it may take them up to 40 minutes to get on scene. They may show up to help if there is a kid involved, or CPR going on.. Of course they also show up if someone didn't stay woke. However I have never pulled up on scene and saw LEO doing CPR, they always seem to arrive about the same time we do..  Hell I have driven around a corner ( came into the area from a non-standard route) and seen squad parked with their lights off,,, waiting for us to get there so they don't have to get  Icky..
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:57:11 AM EDT
[#34]

Did one of the officers say  "May we come in?"  

Did they mask the question with another question?  For example:  "Do you mind if we step inside to have a look and make sure the kid isn't in immediate danger of overdose?"

I'm curious about OP's case, as well as all the others.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:10:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Thank heavens you didn't have any evil "assault weapons"!!! They may have jumped off the table and shot some people. They have a mind of their own you know. Therefore you shouldn't own any evil "assault weapons.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top