Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 5:52:50 PM EDT
[#1]
They were there for a possible child over dose/abuse investigation. They come out for any call of kids getting meds, cause the hose draggers called them. Just wait until child and family services arrives in the morning.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 5:54:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A lot of places have cops secure every scene for the EMT's.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why were the police there in the first place?

A lot of places have cops secure every scene for the EMT's.

Not around here.  We don't shoot at the FD or EMTs though.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 5:54:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Had a buddy die of a heart attack, neighbor saw his body through a window

police cut open his safes and dumped all his shit in a pile on the floor  for "reasons"
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 5:59:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow.  I mean, we'll run with EMS if they request it, and they usually will for stuff involving kids, but you're wife would have had to pretty much request* a search like that unless it really looked like abuse.

*By request, I mean either an explicit request like "please check the house for X Y or Z," or the sort of request that is phrased like "hello officer, here is the child who ate the ibuprofen.  There are most certainly no other children here, and if they were, they would not be playing with explosives and using hard drugs."
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 6:01:23 PM EDT
[#5]
This comes from an acquaintance of mine who works for his County. He told me once that when he is called to a house for any reason at all, he will look for anything that will help make an arrest even if it's unrelated to the call. Including EMS calls.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Did OP ask them while on scene? or run to the internet first?
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 6:02:36 PM EDT
[#7]
In certain parts of Tulsa, it is not uncommon for TPD to secure the area before Fire and Amberlamps will arrive.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 6:05:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This comes from an acquaintance of mine who works for his County. He told me once that when he is called to a house for any reason at all, he will look for anything that will help make an arrest even if it's unrelated to the call. Including EMS calls.
View Quote

Yep, and I bet he wonders why people never trust him.....

There is a reason it's us v. them.....and it's not us.  Its them.....guys like that who don't have an off switch.

There's also a good reason I don't hang out with, talk to outside of work, or invite cops to my house.  No cops unless they have a warrant or believe well enough in their exigent circumstances that they will physically move me out of my door to gain entry.

And yes, even if I worked in the same office as LE, they are not welcome in my home because they are LE.  Never know what law you are breaking and don't know it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

To make sure everyone was "safe" of course.

Cause that's what they do...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To make sure everyone was "safe" of course.

Cause that's what they do...

Not in the 8 years I did EMS....
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 6:09:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Every time you guys vote for expanded police powers, don't be surprised when you get expanded police presence.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 6:10:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 6:14:35 PM EDT
[#12]
And they say they don't want an "us vs. them", huh?

Well, if that's the way they want it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I've never bothered doing that on any medical call I went to. I've been told by certain supervisors to stick around in the hopes of laying eyes on some type of illicit activity or contraband (nothing like going in a guy's house for a civil call and finding his bong on the kitchen counter in plain sight), but I refuse to do it. Fuck. That.

We get sent to any medical calls where there are serious injuries, possibility of loss of life, or children are involved. Everything comes through our dispatch center and they clear it with a supervisor before sending us.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Maybe the NRA can give them free helmets so they don't bang their heads rifling through your closets and cabinets
View Quote

At least they'd be on the gun owner's side then.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 6:51:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Why not get a new wife, that has half a brain.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 6:53:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Police are routinely dispatched to fire and rescue calls.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:11:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

Back in the day we only went to do traffic or crowd control and/or protect fire/ems from the natives. I could care less what is in your house.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:15:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Hell no, I might actually find something.

Seriously though, I rarely even got out of the car at fire and EMS calls.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We always got sent, complete waste of time.

Did you ever go on fishing expeditions while there?

Hell no, I might actually find something.

Seriously though, I rarely even got out of the car at fire and EMS calls.

This !

Really, finding something meant paperwork. finding something would mean I care. finding something would involve me having to possibly touch your things therefore exposing me to possible "cooties", or worse having to talk to people. I don't touch people or things without reason and then I wear gloves.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:31:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Next time, be sure to lock any rooms before they get there.

Problem solved.
View Quote

no, JBTs need to MYOB.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:00:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Any bets on them coming back.... All they needed was to see something to give the reasonable suspicion that you are in possession of illegal weapons.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:15:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:23:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
They were there for a possible child over dose/abuse investigation. They come out for any call of kids getting meds, cause the hose draggers called them. Just wait until child and family services arrives in the morning.
View Quote

Thats what I was thinking. It had to be because of it being a child.

I grew up in Nassau County NY and my parents (now just my mother) still lived there.

When my father was dying of pancreatic cancer we had to call 911 when his last chemo made him start bleeding out.    
Only the fire dept showed, no cops. Just the meatwagon and 3 responders who loaded him up and we ran lights and sirens to the hospital.

No search was done by the FD and no PD ever showed then or later.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:24:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Next time, be sure to lock any rooms before they get there.

Problem solved.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:31:43 PM EDT
[#26]
My neighbor invited the man into my life a couple of weeks ago when some assholes opened our vehicles and removed various items.  Nothing I couldn't replace---nothing they are ever going to recover.

"Oh.....my next door neighbor had their truck broken into as well......"  

The man has been by twice since.

Last week just to see if anything else has happened and a few minutes ago when there was a reported 911 call from "this location"......

Bullshit.

Stupid do gooder bitch.    Now I've got to keep my dogs hidden.
Avenge me boys.........Avenge ME!!!!
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:33:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

They were looking for stolen valor.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
the police pull me aside... to ask...if I was previously in the service
<snipage>

They were looking for stolen valor.  

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:34:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Happens all the time.  Not suggesting in your case but I have run two calls involving children that turned out to be much more than an accident.  One I was called out to a child who fell off a coffee table.  Sounds innocent enough right? Turns out "dad" had grabbed the three year old by the ankles and slammed her head first into the table.  I found her barely breathing and laying on the couch where she had been watching cartoons. I scooped her up and didnt tell my partner as he would have likely beat fuckface to death in the front yard. Was reported to 911 as a fall of a child only.  Next was similiar to yours where a child ate a tylenol.  Police were there and investigated the living room as mom met us outside.  Turns out there was a fucking Candy dish with every kind of pill you could imagine and the child had eaten 6 codeine out of it.  Also mom just so happened to be a school bus driver.   Needless to say officer friendly and her had a long talk after we left.  I understand being pissed but this is routine especially with children or drugs.  If a door is locked most officers wont go in . Like 90% I would wager.  Hode your stuff and hide it well

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:36:23 PM EDT
[#29]
We don't routinely get dispatched with the FD, but for a call like this that comes in as a child got some meds and needs the medics there, they will send us.

Cops were probably looking to see how the kid got the meds and for anything else to add to their report for children's services.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:46:57 PM EDT
[#30]
New York values.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#31]
At least they didn't off your dag
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:00:50 PM EDT
[#32]
LOL at OP living in NY and being surprised.

Everyone in all levels of gov. shit all over the constitution and peoples rights every day and he thought that a NY police department would care about anything but fucking over a gun owner.  

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:12:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Need pics of the wife
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.  A call for medical responders is not a license for the police to explore and fish about for evidence of a crime.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:38:13 PM EDT
[#35]
As someone who has been in LE for 21 years, that seems like an illegal search to me.  I've responded with EMS numerous times,but it's usually because they've either requested police assistance because of past history or I'm closer and can start aid before they arrive.  But it have never conducted a search described by the OP.  Maybe I misunderstood the 4th Amendment regarding unlawful search and seizure.   Then again, unfortunately the OP is in NY and it is a screwed up place.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:39:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
As someone who has been in LE for 21 years, that seems like an illegal search to me.  I've responded with EMS numerous times,but it's usually because they've either requested police assistance because of past history or I'm closer and can start aid before they arrive.  But it have never conducted a search described by the OP.  Maybe I misunderstood the 4th Amendment regarding unlawful search and seizure.   Then again, unfortunately the OP is in NY and it is a screwed up place.
View Quote

Holy post whore.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:42:13 PM EDT
[#37]
NY
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:58:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I came home from a work trip, to find our street lined with fire/rescue/police cars. I pull onto my front yard because their is an ambulance in my driveway and run into the house. It ends up the baby got a hold of a small ibuprofen and my wife freaked out.

After the paperwork the police pull me aside when I went I to get something out of my truck to ask if the front room was my study, if I was previously in the service, and if the firearm laying against the wall was real or airsoft (its an airsoft AR-15).

The doors to my office are always closed. My sister in law said that the police went into every room in my house and into the basement.

It really makes me want to call 911 again when they go on a felony hunt because we called for emergency medical help. Sure, they were doing it for "safety", but you know damn well that for calling medical help, was also opening my house to a full search without any warrant or consent.

My wife was completely happy at the fire rescue, but very pissed that the police felt the need to do a top to bottom search when they were called for a pill ingestion/possible choking infant. She will always be apprehensive about calling for now on, job well done.

Flame away blue line, flame away,
View Quote

They weren't just there for the medical call.  A possible child poisoning will lead to a child neglect investigation and CPS cross-report.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:03:40 PM EDT
[#39]
I wonder if every room in your house was subject to plain view? Am I using the phrase correctly?
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:13:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Need pics of the wife
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:19:31 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View Quote

15 posts in 15 years. Wow.

And the post above was worth your annual contribution.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:23:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Some good lessons in this thread folks.

Invite the man in to your life at your own risk.

I've got my own story. Nothing as bad as the OP's but sufficient to have the same concerns and the resulting realizations about how LE often views those they come in contact with in a WIDE range of circumstances.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:30:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you report a drug overdose or misuse, they respond to investigate the crime.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:30:22 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

When a person calls 911 they give up all rights of privacy from my experience. Times I've done it I have met the police

outside the house and staid outside the house. Same with fire dept. they get on scene they control you and where you are permitted

to go or access your property.

Consequently only dial 911 in a true emergency.
View Quote
Absolutely not, legally or practically. The only time I even care about where people are going in their own residence is if I think they are going to hurt themselves or someone else.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:38:49 PM EDT
[#45]
NY..

move.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:45:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

You'll average a post a year at this rate.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:48:18 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm a cop and that's bullshit.  March your ass down to the station and don't leave until you speak to the chief in person.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:53:54 PM EDT
[#48]

Transitions lenses make everyone look like a creep.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:04:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I came home from a work trip, to find our street lined with fire/rescue/police cars. I pull onto my front yard because their is an ambulance in my driveway and run into the house. It ends up the baby got a hold of a small ibuprofen and my wife freaked out.

After the paperwork the police pull me aside when I went I to get something out of my truck to ask if the front room was my study, if I was previously in the service, and if the firearm laying against the wall was real or airsoft (its an airsoft AR-15).

The doors to my office are always closed. My sister in law said that the police went into every room in my house and into the basement.

It really makes me want to call 911 again when they go on a felony hunt because we called for emergency medical help. Sure, they were doing it for "safety", but you know damn well that for calling medical help, was also opening my house to a full search without any warrant or consent.

My wife was completely happy at the fire rescue, but very pissed that the police felt the need to do a top to bottom search when they were called for a pill ingestion/possible choking infant. She will always be apprehensive about calling for now on, job well done.

Flame away blue line, flame away,
View Quote

well it is NY !!!!
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:09:56 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Officer safety is the excuse
View Quote
they would be plenty safe if they stayed at the cop shop or dunkin donuts

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top