Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 16
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 2:14:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Or, we could get both or five.

I have a 10, 14.5, 16, 18 and 20 inch barrel AR's.

Variety is the spice of life. If SHTF I can choose the appropriate length barrel.

But if I had to pick one and run? I would go with the 10" SBR and a can just because it's compact. It's easier to conceal and move with without being noticed.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 2:16:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd prefer a sixteen inch but I'd make a twenty inch work.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 2:19:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Does 4 inches really hinder you that much?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Try entering and exiting a vehicle or dwelling with one.

When entering/exiting vehicles?  Yes.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 2:22:02 AM EDT
[#4]
If you have to take a shit during a SHTF situation, are you more likely to bring an SBR or a full-size rifle with you to the latrine? If you need to dig a hole or fix a fence, what is going to be easier to keep slung on your back?

Are you going to have a rifle available at all times, or just when you think you'll need it?
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 2:27:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you have to take a shit during a SHTF situation, are you more likely to bring an SBR or a full-size rifle with you to the latrine? If you need to dig a hole or fix a fence, what is going to be easier to keep slung on your back?

Are you going to have a rifle available at all times, or just when you think you'll need it?
View Quote

I'm glad to see more people are preaching this now, instead of just me. It's also my preferred response for "you need at least a full sized M14 for when the SHTF."
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 2:43:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Economic malaise causing crime is also a concern.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only realistic SHTF here is related to hurricanes.

I don't need to ruck anywhere, nor do I need to be doing convoy ops. I'll be sitting in the shade in a lawn chair with a rifle across my lap just like the last time. A full size A2 or for that matter, a Marlin 30-30 will do just fine.  Neither will pose difficulties walking out the front door.

Not here.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 2:45:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Considering the crappy vehicle access when all kitted up,  yes.  I always preferred 20 rd magazines for the same reason.  Easier to use in the turret.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 2:52:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I really think many here would be disappointed that SHTF will not be like they pictured it. It won't be an never ending call of duty gun battle.  There was a very good thread years ago from a member who went through an actual SHTF where neighbors patrolled their neighborhoods after Katrina.  Any rifle would of done fine as the only time they actually had to use them was to shoot snakes and other critters.

So for me a 20" AR would do just fine.
View Quote

Not SHTF, SHTF would be an endless version of what you described. What happened in Yugoslavia, Serbia, and Kosovo would be a better description. Americans really havent had a SHTF situation since the civil war.

To the OP whatever you have will work, but IMO shorter is going to better not so much for the vehicle aspect, but clearing houses etc.. could be a real concern and a 20" won't be the best.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 3:01:48 AM EDT
[#9]
To me shtf means living with your gun, not just shooting it.  In that case shorter and lighter is better.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 3:57:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I disagree, use what you are comfortable and competent with.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

I disagree. Get comfortable and competent with the better tool for the job. A carbine is the quintessential SHTF weapon.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:45:22 AM EDT
[#11]
My 20" has a collapsible stock, it's pretty much the same size as my 16" fully extended.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:51:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 5:10:51 AM EDT
[#13]
I think training is more important than the gun. If you have never trained going in and out of a vehicle, or clearing a house, I don't think it really matters what the gun is.

That being said, my A2 clone is so much easier to shoot than my 16"-quad free floating rail with an optic. The weight alone is significant, the recoil is less too. I have a 16" with a carbine length gas system, a 16" mid-length gas system, a 18" mid-length gas system, and a 20" rifle length gas system. The 20" feels the best when shooting. Maybe I am just nostalgic, but I love my A2 clone.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:29:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Your post is as dumb as your avatar.
View Quote

Thank you for your valuable insight.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:40:44 AM EDT
[#15]
If you mean living with your rifle strapped on 24/7, I will take my 16" 30/30 lever gun every time. It is far less cumbersome than any AR with that big magazine sticking out in just the wrong place.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:54:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:01:56 AM EDT
[#17]
If that's what you want, then 24" bbl is even mores betters
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:05:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
PRO's :Turns m193 into a better AP than m855, longer sight radius for iron sights when batteries are gone, softer shooting gun.

CON's :Less compact, heavier depending on barrel profile.
View Quote

no
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:17:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Most realistic SHTF scenarios, you'd be best served with a concealed, higher capacity 9mm pistol with a couple extra mags.

Your well being will be in as much danger from the state as it will thugs and thieves. As evidenced in other shtf incidents in this country.

Become invisible. Don't cause issues. Stay out of the way. Don't stick out.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:27:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
With advancments in ammo today........nope
View Quote

Agreed.......
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:29:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Pass, lite & compact
View Quote

Ditto.....
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:30:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Looking at it in another way, the AR with 16 inch barrel and a sliding stock is just the right size for the 5.56x45 cartridge, IMHO.

As above, your pistol will be on you most of the time.   I recently picked up a G34 and found I can hit at a good distance with it.   I keep some 33 rd mags in the car.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:31:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Most realistic SHTF scenarios, you'd be best served with a concealed, higher capacity 9mm pistol with a couple extra mags.

Your well being will be in as much danger from the state as it will thugs and thieves. As evidenced in other shtf incidents in this country.

View Quote

Your last sentence is well said. That's also my motto.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:31:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:39:11 AM EDT
[#25]
MET-T

terrain/ mission  dictates equipment.  here in south fla a 20" is not the best choice but quite adequate.  out west not only would a 20" be a good choice but a 20" in 308 would be a great choice.

it is honestly not that hard to move with a rifle but it is harder to return fire from inside a car or building.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:44:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only realistic SHTF here is related to hurricanes.

I don't need to ruck anywhere, nor do I need to be doing convoy ops. I'll be sitting in the shade in a lawn chair with a rifle across my lap just like the last time. A full size A2 or for that matter, a Marlin 30-30 will do just fine.  Neither will pose difficulties walking out the front door.

Yep.
Also:
Extended power outage due to natural or unnatural causes = same scenario as Katrina minus flooding.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:54:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Small, light, and ideally quiet.

If hunkered down in a home, chances are you might have to maneuver around with it, long is bad here.

If moving distances, shorter and lighter is better. I'd perfer to have extra weight come from a small weaponlight or optic( ideally an acog with dual illumination RMR, no batteries.)

If for some reason you have to conceal it to travel, a broken down sbr fits nicely into a backpack or BOB. Ideally you would have a concealed sidearm as well.

A suppressor would be ideal to preserve hearing and communications.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:01:01 AM EDT
[#28]
20 inch ar? Nope. MP5K clone.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Where I live absolutely.  Having the ability to push those rounds out there a little farther when your ranges are longer.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:03:24 AM EDT
[#30]
When SHTF laws won't matter so I'm installing bullet buttons on all the things to make them full auto. Gun would probably be 14.5
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:05:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'll keep my 20" with an ACOG for SHTF.

I don't plan on trying to be Meal Team 87. I just wanna keep my home place safe and maybe plink varmints for food if things get tough.

If it gets to the point where I "need" full auto and a suppressor and 20k in night vision and claymores and a few hand grenades, I'm already fucked anyway. I'm not trained for that, I'm effectively a team of 1 - maybe a few more other untrained peasants who have less gun knowledge than I do, and the resupply truck ain't coming.

You're welcome to prepare however you feel necessary. I plan on trying to keep as low a profile. That means not running around in cars wasting precious gas and trying to play "freedom's last defender" by getting in to every gun battle I possibly can. If I can get through a short term SHTF without firing a shot, fine by me.  
View Quote

+1 Me too, at the moment.

I'll be hunkered down on my property waiting for the population to thin out.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Considering the crappy vehicle access when all kitted up,  yes.  I always preferred 20 rd magazines for the same reason.  Easier to use in the turret.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Last deployment to Afghanistan (2014), I kept a 20 round mag in my rifle.  All my reloads were 30's, of course.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:18:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Highly dependent on your AO.

If you live in rural areas with large expanses of open terrain, or you plan on staying in a fixed position, nothing wrong with a 20" with ACOG or similar.

My problem is the complete opposite. I live right of the middle of metro Atlanta. It'd be an urban CQB nightmare in true SHTF. My long gun is a 10.5" suppressed SBR (OAL ~16"). I value mobility and stealth over velocity for my purposes.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:20:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
PRO's :Turns m193 into a better AP than m855, longer sight radius for iron sights when batteries are gone, softer shooting gun.

View Quote

How far are 90% of your shots going to be if the SHTF?  Within 100yds?  ..................
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:21:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Absolutely.  

Most people in SHTF aren't going to be maneuvering in and out of vehicles and kicking doors in, 20" FTW.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:23:39 AM EDT
[#36]
A 20"er gets reallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy long with a can.......that being said, I'd still run around with one due to familarity. My 12.5" w/ can gets first grabs though (and is the same size as a 20")
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:24:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
SHTFantisies, it might not be good for. But for a disrupted area for a short time, i.e. Katrina, any gun will be better than no gun. I believe food and medicine and shelter will be infinitely more valuable than your preferred pick of rifle.

If you find yourself in multiple gun battles without any kind of support, you may not be around too long.

Just my .02
View Quote

Lol.  I say this all of the time.  I'd be lucky to last through a typical battle load worth of ammo.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:28:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'll keep my 20" with an ACOG for SHTF.

I don't plan on trying to be Meal Team 87. I just wanna keep my home place safe and maybe plink varmints for food if things get tough.

If it gets to the point where I "need" full auto and a suppressor and 20k in night vision and claymores and a few hand grenades, I'm already fucked anyway. I'm not trained for that, I'm effectively a team of 1 - maybe a few more other untrained peasants who have less gun knowledge than I do, and the resupply truck ain't coming.

You're welcome to prepare however you feel necessary. I plan on trying to keep as low a profile. That means not running around in cars wasting precious gas and trying to play "freedom's last defender" by getting in to every gun battle I possibly can. If I can get through a short term SHTF without firing a shot, fine by me.  
View Quote

This.

It's me and my wife (who has a degenerative hip problem) at 40 y.o., with a pair of teenage girls and a 9 y.o. boy. There's won't be much shoot-and-scoot or Braveheart with that crowd. If a public appearance becomes necessary it's a concealed pistol and the quickest trip possible.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:30:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'm thinking one second after style shtf. Most electronic dead, starving people wandering the countryside looting.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1. Define "SHTF"

2. Pretty much.... NO.

I'm thinking one second after style shtf. Most electronic dead, starving people wandering the countryside looting.

Why would starving people head to the country instead of hitting storage warehouses? Are they suddenly going to discover the skills to turn raw product into food?
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:33:56 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Probably not, but SHTF is such a confused and amorphous concept I'd wager that the marginal difference between a 20" and a 16" wouldn't matter.
View Quote

My thoughts as well.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:39:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

How far are 90% of your shots going to be if the SHTF?  Within 100yds?  ..................
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably within 10
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:40:34 AM EDT
[#42]
I love a 20" and it's definitely in my collection as a go to rifle, but a 16" is my main rifle.

ETA: Actually my 11.5" is my main, but more than likely the wife unit will get that and I'd use the 16"
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:41:22 AM EDT
[#43]

I've said it a hundred times.  

I like to shoot the 20.
I like to carry the 16.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was thinking the same thing with the pistol, everyone is dickering about how big if a deal 4" of barrel is but my huge '44's with a 7.5" barrel is still much more maneuverable than a 7.5" AR-15 pistol.

That said II like my 20", it isn't a heavy rifle (I know a 16" set up the same way would be a little lighter) and using iron sights the extra sight radius is nice and I don't have to worry about a scope getting hurt.  My slug gun would probably be my go to though.  I have deer hunted with it for over a decade, we are very well acquainted.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:46:45 AM EDT
[#45]
The way I envision shtf is a lot of people living like it was 1700 again. That means farming during the day, hunting during the night, and defense make up your daily routine.

You are gonna want to put as much distance between those working the land and potential threats. So take lessons from various firebases such as those in Vietnam. Defoliate the area to a distance beyond conventional rifle attacks and ensure armored vehicles cannot rush your compound via block-aids, moats, and draw bridges .etc

Since static defense is a priority long range rifles with fast followup will be most useful.

A 16" AR with 75gr rounds is still super-sonic at 800yds and can be highly accurate with the right rifle, however someone with a 7mm Hunting Rifle shooting beyond your defoliated area may wipe the floor with your farm hands.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:47:09 AM EDT
[#46]
It depends on the ammo.  If you have a gigantic pile of SS109, yes, definitely.  The ammo was designed for 20 inch barrels so you're not getting the best performance out of the ammo in a carbine.

If OTOH you have a huge pile of 300 Blackout, go with a  carbine.  .300 BLK is designed for carbine barrels so they have a greater punch than 5.56 and the difference between .300 BLK and 7.62x39 is only on paper.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:51:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Tons of sense.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:55:40 AM EDT
[#48]
No. Food makes more sense.  Hard to hump either while starving.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:09:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:19:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I disagree. Get comfortable and competent with the better tool for the job. A carbine is the quintessential SHTF weapon.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

I would give that honor to the tactical shotgun.  You can do everything with it from door breaching to taking small birds to taking large game to making sure a bad guy becomes dead to even crowd control (have you seen what Dragons breath looks like at night?)  Plus you can put a rifled barrel on it for longer ranges.
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top