BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 16
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 6:34:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So SBR guys do you feel comfortable dropping a deer at 200-400 yds?
Serious question.
I have a 10'' AR pistol that is okay but doesn't excite me much but you guys are making me think I need to play with it more.
View Quote

If shooting at a deer in a non survival situation I would keep terminal velocity above 2000fps with BTHPs to get a least decent bullet performance.

Terminal velocity on this buck was down to 1800fps (16 inch barrel @ 500yds) and bullet performance was not very good. Got the job done but semi auto feature was needed.

Sorry for the safety.

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 6:36:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I would agree that all rifles should have an optic for serious use and I sure love my GPSs.

Why would anyone willing choose a rifle without an optic?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not in a 5.56 how much barrel whip do you think there is?
 Any advantage the M4 gains with an optic is lost once the optic is mounted on the A4.

Its not even comparable with iron sights.

LOL

You made yourself sound like another kid who thinks all long guns automatically are supposed to have some sort of optic.  Guessing you think navigation cant be done without a GPS either.

I would agree that all rifles should have an optic for serious use and I sure love my GPSs.

Why would anyone willing choose a rifle without an optic?

Because they're an AR hipster.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 6:37:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Ya think they might have more experience doing their job then you do?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Im betting those game wardens will re think that decision after somone gets eaten/mangled by a 5.56 wounded and pissed off bear.

Ya think they might have more experience doing their job then you do?

Noticing another trend here as well.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 6:41:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Which is why everyone in Spec Ops uses a map and compass instead of modern technology. I heard they stopped using crypto comms too. They decided a guy waving flags and blowing a bugle was more fool proof.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not in a 5.56 how much barrel whip do you think there is?
 Any advantage the M4 gains with an optic is lost once the optic is mounted on the A4.

Its not even comparable with iron sights.

LOL

You made yourself sound like another kid who thinks all long guns automatically are supposed to have some sort of optic.  Guessing you think navigation cant be done without a GPS either.

Which is why everyone in Spec Ops uses a map and compass instead of modern technology. I heard they stopped using crypto comms too. They decided a guy waving flags and blowing a bugle was more fool proof.

Nah dude, they went back to smoke signals.  Damn commo hipsters.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 6:44:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Something could be seriously wrong.  Society might collapse and SHTF could last for years.  The point is I want every bit of advantage I can get, and 20" gives me that extra edge in terms of sight radius, terminal performance, and reliability.  I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.    

There is no downside to having it, only upside.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok, well hopefully you'll be able to get to and access your multiple stashes at the exact moments you need to.  They all relatively close?  You may not be able to drive to them.  Careful though, because if they are all too close together, all will be lost if an AO gets overrun / taken over, or otherwise in accessible.  Hopefully none of the locations become compromised, IF you can reach them.  Many unforseen factors to consider depending on how bad SHTF.  

Personally, while I do have a couple decent stashes of premium ammo myself, I do not COUNT on having anything more than what I can bug out / carry in a combat load because you never know what may happen.  You may not be able to get to your special ammo, and if one can't have access to special ammo, there is a comfort in knowing that just about any crap ammo is much more effective out of a 20" pipe than a 16" or less.

within the ranges I plan on engaging, there is no practical performance between the two.

I'm not taking 600 yard shots.  If I'm mobile, and you're 600 yds away, I may shoot and scoot, but I'm not engaging until I bring you into my kill zone or I bug out..

in place, I will engage you a lot farther out if there is a reason. And it won't be with 5.56 - it'll either be the .338 or the .308

back to your original argument - I'm quite confident with ball ammo out of a 16" barrel with a suppressor (or without one should it be damaged or lost)

but I don't intend to start out handicapped by ammo.  If I blow through all my ammo, something is seriously wrong.

Something could be seriously wrong.  Society might collapse and SHTF could last for years.  The point is I want every bit of advantage I can get, and 20" gives me that extra edge in terms of sight radius, terminal performance, and reliability.  I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.    

There is no downside to having it, only upside.  

Except for all the downsides that have already been mentioned.  You're not much for reading, are you?
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 6:46:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

But, but....the military only uses the BEST equipment.  I know, because they told me so!!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aren't your friends using M855A1 now?  This stuff?  You know, the stuff specifically reengineered for carbine barrels because the M855 was doing exactly what I said it was doing?

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s320x320/e35/12142320_1610450772550720_2002708088_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTA5ODczNzA1MTY0ODk4NzE1MQ%3D%3D.2

But, but....the military only uses the BEST equipment.  I know, because they told me so!!  

They are using 855A1 now, so yes, they addressed the very shortcoming that you're whining about.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 6:55:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Easy rifle has an opportunity cost.

As long as you know your rifles limitations don't get caught in a situation where your rifle of choice will be a detriment to you.

If you have the 14.5" barrel you can ride in cars, bring rifles up to shoot faster and clear dwellings.

If you have a 20" rifle you can shoot further out and burn down dwellings to clear them.

It seems the person who is advocating 20" or 14.5" live different lives.

Someone who likes 20" will probably be a lone wolf, keep a long distance between you and your opponent. He will not clear dwellings and most often keeps to him self.

Someone who likes the 14.5" rifles used them in combat, it saved their skin so they associate their tours with SHTF and its experiences. It saved my life, why shouldn't it work?

For me? I would tend to stay as far away from people as I can. Proximity = death.

People suck anyway.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 6:58:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

They are using 855A1 now, so yes, they addressed the very shortcoming that you're whining about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aren't your friends using M855A1 now?  This stuff?  You know, the stuff specifically reengineered for carbine barrels because the M855 was doing exactly what I said it was doing?

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s320x320/e35/12142320_1610450772550720_2002708088_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTA5ODczNzA1MTY0ODk4NzE1MQ%3D%3D.2

And those shortcomings were also seen in 20" guns

The military developed the 855a1 to improve performance while switching to a lead free bullet. The switch in barrel length of combat arms weapons is irrelevant.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 7:16:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No, he also called down artillery almost on top of himself to blunt a German offensive.  Is that your SHTF solution too, to call down artillery on top of yourself?  Remind the rest of us to stay clear the hell away from you during SHTF.

The REAL strawman is dragging the topic away from the fact that the shotgun didn't spontaneously beccome a nerf bat just because the AR-15 is on the scene now.  If someone with a shotgun is barging into a room with AR-15's drawn on the door of course he's in for a bad time, but the same will happen if he had a SCAR, too.  There are historical precedents (specifically Fred Lloyd)  that prove the shotgun is an effective room clearer.  You can argue against the fact all you want, but it won't erase the fact that the shotgun is an effective room clearer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you're saying Sergeant Fred Lloyd's combat record is all a lie?

if you're going down this road, then the M1 carbine is the best weapon period. Or was Audie Murphy a fake?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Audie Murphy hold off the Germans with a .50 Cal BMG rather than a M1 Carbine?  To answer your question, no, the .50 Cal BMG is not a very good weapon for SHTF.  Too heavy, too long, and it would go through an excessive amount of very expensive, hard to obtain ammunition.

Try another strawman argument.

that wasn't the only thing Audie Murphy did, or do you think it is?

And the Strawman was Fred Lloyd...I just pointed out the absurdity of the original argument.

No, he also called down artillery almost on top of himself to blunt a German offensive.  Is that your SHTF solution too, to call down artillery on top of yourself?  Remind the rest of us to stay clear the hell away from you during SHTF.

The REAL strawman is dragging the topic away from the fact that the shotgun didn't spontaneously beccome a nerf bat just because the AR-15 is on the scene now.  If someone with a shotgun is barging into a room with AR-15's drawn on the door of course he's in for a bad time, but the same will happen if he had a SCAR, too.  There are historical precedents (specifically Fred Lloyd)  that prove the shotgun is an effective room clearer.  You can argue against the fact all you want, but it won't erase the fact that the shotgun is an effective room clearer.

Now change the Mausers to MP40s and its more comparable. (I understand it was a WW1 scenario but you're comparing scenario A to scenario C here.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 7:31:56 PM EDT
[#10]
How much farther does one expect to shoot with a 20" barrel vs. any other?

Are there distances like that where he is?

Has anyone shot "farther"? What are his come-ups at farther? If using iron sights, how far do they come up?

How are his wind calls being made at farther? Parameters for wind holds or adjustments? Follow-up shots are determined how?

How is his target detection and identification being done at farther?

Does a slightly longer barrel impart enough velocity to still have increased terminal effect at farther?
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 8:18:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If shooting at a deer in a non survival situation I would keep terminal velocity above 2000fps with BTHPs to get a least decent bullet performance.

Terminal velocity on this buck was down to 1800fps (16 inch barrel @ 500yds) and bullet performance was not very good. Got the job done but semi auto feature was needed.

Sorry for the safety.

<a href="http://s1205.photobucket.com/user/GreybullPrecision/media/2013%20WT%20Hunt/DSC00720_zpsd4b5edb5.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb428/GreybullPrecision/2013%20WT%20Hunt/DSC00720_zpsd4b5edb5.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Serious question.
I have a 10'' AR pistol that is okay but doesn't excite me much but you guys are making me think I need to play with it more.

Sorry for the safety.

<a href="http://s1205.photobucket.com/user/GreybullPrecision/media/2013%20WT%20Hunt/DSC00720_zpsd4b5edb5.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb428/GreybullPrecision/2013%20WT%20Hunt/DSC00720_zpsd4b5edb5.jpg</a>

Rifle details please and I will forgive the safety.
My hiking rifle is a 16'' with a fluted wilson match barrel and I have wounded two coyotes at 400+ yards. At least they yelped and danced before disappearing.
Cheap ammo as I was still in break in mode.
Soon as my girl goes back into heat I will load up with 77gr IMI.
The wounding of the coyotes makes me wonder about barrel length on the deer.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 8:26:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

My hiking rifle is a 16'' with a fluted wilson match barrel and I have wounded two coyotes at 400+ yards. At least they yelped and danced before disappearing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Serious question.

Sorry for the safety.

It probably has more to do with shot placement. That's not a knock on you or the gun. Depending on the optic, a hit on a coyote at 400 yards is good in my book. Id have taken it with my 14.5" carbine.

I would need a really solid rest to shoot a deer a 400 yards with my heavy barreled .308 bolt with a 10x scope that puts 5 rounds inside .75" at a 100yards
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 8:29:39 PM EDT
[#13]
this thread is full of

having an ar puts you way ahead of a lot of people. bbl length regardless.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 8:32:10 PM EDT
[#14]
20" with collapsible stock...
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 8:34:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
20" with collapsible stock...
View Quote

... is pure sex.   I have a UBR on my 20" and its pretty fucking awesome.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 8:44:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I find it humorous that someone who proclaims to be driven by logic and reason seems to believe that government bureaucracy is able to successfully determine what is "best".  

"The military uses it, therefore it is the best" is an attitude carried by one who has no inkling of an idea as to how the equipment procurement process actually works in government institutions.  More often than not, decisions are more political, logistical, and economical than what is simply "better".

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I find it humorous that someone who proclaims to be driven by logic and reason seems to believe that government bureaucracy is able to successfully determine what is "best".  

"The military uses it, therefore it is the best" is an attitude carried by one who has no inkling of an idea as to how the equipment procurement process actually works in government institutions.  More often than not, decisions are more political, logistical, and economical than what is simply "better".

You realize I've been in the military, don't you? The little tank icon that most of us telling you that you're wrong have means we've served. You also realize the bullshit, illogical equipment procurement is what gave the military, and the Marines in particular, the A4 instead of the M4 in the first place, don't you? The M4 came after years of real world experience finally shut up the traditionalists that clung to the fantasy that a 20" is going to make "one shot one kill at 800 yards!" possible.

"I killed a bear once, I  know more about fighting than the DOD"

You're no where near as smart or as insightful as you think you are.

Quoted:

This game where they justify a 20" barrel only works when they use shit ammo as an example.

Of course it's time for that game. Got to bring out every asinine example to prove why my shitty choice is the best. Because, you know, we're the ones with a fantasy when they're the ones claiming they're going to blast through thousands of rounds of ammo, and have to scavenge Wolf and bottle caps.
Because M855 out of a 10.3" barrel hasn't killed anyone in the last 15 years they've been seeing service in the middle east.

Quoted:
Interesting, how much actual experience do you have with short barreled ARs?

You know the answer to that question.
Just wait until we get the guys that want to talk about how NVGs are a waste because a flashlight works just as well at night.
Quoted:

Let's be more serious than what I said last time.
I'll send you a Pmag if you can provide me a link to one of us seriously arguing on the carbine side saying that a shotgun won't kill someone with adequate ammunition, or is a totally ineffective "room clearing" weapon. The clear jokes and hyperbolic statments, (geesemen, screendoors, etc.) of course, don't count.

None of us have said the shotgun isn't capable of killing someone or clearing a room. What we have said repeatedly that the carbine is a more effective weapon due to its capacity, ease of use, and ease of making repeat shots. We've watched cops clear houses for decades, it's no secret that you can do it with a shotgun. The carbine is simply a more effective weapon in that position, and if you can use a more effective weapon, it's utterly stupid to not do so because you're clinging to an inferior design due to emotional attachment.

Either put up or stop repeating the "you're claiming a shotgun is a nerf bat" bullshit. You're making it up and wasting everyone's time here. Or, maybe you're incapable of telling jokes apart from real arguments, hell, I don't know.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 8:52:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

In Sarajevo you were a target even without a rifle.

I'll take my chances with the tool that gives me the option of shooting back....and a radio. Radios are useful.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hate to break it to you guys, but anybody running around outside carrying any kind of large firearm, like any AR, is going to be a target for a sniper.   Free gun plus free ammo = bonus.   Now, if you are the sniper hunkered down picking people off... different story.

In Sarajevo you were a target even without a rifle.

I'll take my chances with the tool that gives me the option of shooting back....and a radio. Radios are useful.

True that you would be a target either way.  My point is the best way to survive SHTF is to BE the sniper.  Good luck shooting back if I am hunkered down in a forest in full hunting camo.  There are no good guys/bad guys in SHTF - only survival of the fittest.    
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 8:53:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

BOOM, headshot.

View Quote

Perfect.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 9:08:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm not poor, so I have plenty of my "special tacticool" ammo laying around.  Maybe try making more money so you don't have these issues?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In Blue: Why the hell would a civilian not bound by international rules be using only ballistically inferior ball ammo regardless of barrel length? I'll take an SBR with Federal Fusion 62's over a 20" firing M193/M855 any day of the week. Furthermore, while I'm not Infantry I can tell you that most infantrypeople (don't wanna be sexist ) would prefer something shorter than an A2/A4 series weapon.

Theres nothing "gear queer" about making use of the advancements in weapon technology. In the military we call that attitude institutional inertia. I assume civilians call it stupidity.

Because post SHTF, your average CITIZEN can't just stroll down to Walmart to pick up his special tacticool pet .223 zombie round.  

If all you had available was .223 fmj, would you rather be firing it from a 20" tube or a <16" one?

I'm not poor, so I have plenty of my "special tacticool" ammo laying around.  Maybe try making more money so you don't have these issues?

You just don't get it. 20 years after SHTF and hundreds of gunfights down the road you're going to feel really silly when you find that lone box of Wolf ammo under a dusty gas station counter. If only you'd thought ahead and grabbed your 20" A2 instead.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 9:10:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You realize I've been in the military, don't you? The little tank icon that most of us telling you that you're wrong have means we've served. You also realize the bullshit, illogical equipment procurement is what gave the military, and the Marines in particular, the A4 instead of the M4 in the first place, don't you? The M4 came after years of real world experience finally shut up the traditionalists that clung to the fantasy that a 20" is going to make "one shot one kill at 800 yards!" possible.

Of course it's time for that game. Got to bring out every asinine example to prove why my shitty choice is the best. Because, you know, we're the ones with a fantasy when they're the ones claiming they're going to blast through thousands of rounds of ammo, and have to scavenge Wolf and bottle caps.
Because M855 out of a 10.3" barrel hasn't killed anyone in the last 15 years they've been seeing service in the middle east.

Just wait until we get the guys that want to talk about how NVGs are a waste because a flashlight works just as well at night.

I'll send you a Pmag if you can provide me a link to one of us seriously arguing on the carbine side saying that a shotgun won't kill someone with adequate ammunition, or is a totally ineffective "room clearing" weapon. The clear jokes and hyperbolic statments, (geesemen, screendoors, etc.) of course, don't count.

None of us have said the shotgun isn't capable of killing someone or clearing a room. What we have said repeatedly that the carbine is a more effective weapon due to its capacity, ease of use, and ease of making repeat shots. We've watched cops clear houses for decades, it's no secret that you can do it with a shotgun. The carbine is simply a more effective weapon in that position, and if you can use a more effective weapon, it's utterly stupid to not do so because you're clinging to an inferior design due to emotional attachment.

Either put up or stop repeating the "you're claiming a shotgun is a nerf bat" bullshit. You're making it up and wasting everyone's time here. Or, maybe you're incapable of telling jokes apart from real arguments, hell, I don't know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This game where they justify a 20" barrel only works when they use shit ammo as an example.

Quoted:
Interesting, how much actual experience do you have with short barreled ARs?

Quoted:

I may make an exception for a 1014 but just because of some miserable fucking nights

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 9:32:46 PM EDT
[#21]
You realize I've been in the military, don't you? The little tank icon that most of us telling you that you're wrong have means we've served.

View Quote

This is a dumb ass statement ... Not having a tank does not mean the person you are running your cake hole at did not serve. Nor does  having one makes you an expert on rifles , combat or anything else.

Of course I am waiting for you to start recanting  your many kills and recount your anecdotal evidence of the combat god you want people to believe you are or how the M4 was more deadly than an  M1 at twice the range.

If you honestly believe that 5.56 is good for dangerous game you are NOT an expert at anything.  

Fucking tank icon and DoD Expert.. . seriously?  

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 9:44:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This is a dumb ass statement ... Not having a tank does not mean the person you are running your cake hole at did not serve. Nor does  having one makes you an expert on rifles , combat or anything else.

Of course I am waiting for you to start recanting  your many kills and recount your anecdotal evidence of the combat god you want people to believe you are or how the M4 was more deadly than an  M1 at twice the range.

If you honestly believe that 5.56 is good for dangerous game you are NOT an expert at anything.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
You realize I've been in the military, don't you? The little tank icon that most of us telling you that you're wrong have means we've served.

Im still waiting to hear about how your unit started to have trouble dropping the enemy after switching to m4s
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 9:46:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Once again, you fail to address anything that has been posted and resort to mockery and attacks on the person posting.  Really helps cement your argument.  Keep on going AR hipster, keep on going.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 9:46:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Im still waiting to hear about how your unit started to have trouble dropping the enemy after switching to m4s
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too, should be interesting.  Unless, of course, he doesn't actually have any experience or evidence to base his assertions off of and he's just pulling it all out of his ass.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:02:02 PM EDT
[#25]
This thread makes me feel nostalgic for threads from when I first came here.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:02:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

You keep throwing around terms like "kills", "deadly", "dangerous game".... These are indicators that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:08:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You keep throwing around terms like "kills", "deadly", "dangerous game".... These are indicators that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You clearly don't  know what dangerous game is Einstein.  Bears are absolutely considered dangerous game.   I don't give a shit what you think you know, please go on and tell me more.  

Oh by the way your sarcasm meter is broken .
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:11:05 PM EDT
[#28]
How the hell did this even turn into a discussion about bears?  That shit belongs in shotgun home defense threads.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:17:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
How the hell did this even turn into a discussion about bears?  That shit belongs in shotgun home defense threads.
View Quote

True, I should be left out of this, particularly when the bear discussion references game.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:17:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because some kids think they are unique , and they are the only ones who were ever in the military cause of tank icon and such. M4's for SHTF cause thats what they used while in a fully supported military operation. Cause that = SHTF and shotguns aren't deadly anymore cause of M4's  

That pretty much covers it all.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:18:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You clearly don't  know what dangerous game is Einstein.  Bears are absolutely considered dangerous game.   I don't give a shit what you think you know, please go on and tell me more.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So is mine, what have you been sarcastic about?

fwiw no one considers black bears dangerous game.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:20:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Too be fair when a bear is all up in your shit the SHTF.

Depending on your locale bears are statistically more likely to cause lethal confrontations than meth heads or zombies.

I have many personal friends who have been in gun fights with bears and in the same pool of friend none have been in gunfights with people in CONUS.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:20:16 PM EDT
[#33]
So, when comparing 20" barrels to shorter barrels, how does the difference in one's PBZ work out? Enough to miss a head shot at 100 yards or a torso shot at 300 yards when using shorter barrels? Mechanical offset issues at typical urban distances?

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:20:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Because some kids think they are unique , and they are the only ones who were ever in the military cause of tank icon and such. M4's for SHTF cause thats what they used while in a fully supported military operation. Cause that = SHTF and shotguns aren't deadly anymore cause of M4's  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what sort of problems did you and your unit have with m4s?
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:23:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

YOU absolutely dont know what you are talking about. Where did I say black bears even one time?  Show it to me
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:23:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Depending on your locale bears are statistically more likely to cause lethal confrontations than meth heads or zombies.

I have many personal friends who have been in gun fights with bears and in the same pool of friend none have been in gunfights with people in CONUS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do bears prefer, 16" or 20"?
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:24:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I was going on a big game/bear hunt, you would be one of the few people that I would consult.  (Seriously).
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:26:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously, WHO is saying shotguns aren't deadly? With the right load, shotguns will absolutely kill you dead.

The argument isn't that they're not deadly, it's that they're obsolete compared to the other options available. Obsolete does not mean not deadly. A Mauser from WWI is deadly. A Winchester from the 1870s is deadly. Kentucky rifle is deadly. A Brown Bess is deadly. A sword is deadly. A rock to the head is deadly. However, ALL of those are obsolete weapons in 2016.

If you have the option, why not pick the best weapon you can get your hands on?
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:26:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True. Ive never unholstered/unslung a firearm because of people in CONUS but have in SE AK and wished for a gun bigger than a .270

There are definitely some US residents who can make a legit claim to need something bigger than an m4 but they also need something bigger than a 20" 556 too.

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:27:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about people that have been involved in close quarters firefights with M4's (not fully supported)?
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:29:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bears may very well be dangerous game... But that has about as much to do with what we're discussing in this thread as does cottage cheese.  

People, (lots of people, many of whose with much experience fighting with guns), KEEP telling you that the M16A4 and its 200 fps or so just isn't going to help you much.  Sight radius is a useless thing with optics, terminal effectiveness with all but the shittiest ammo is the same at both velocities, as is barrier penetration.  The added range from the velocity boost comes way out further than any realistic engagement range with a 5.56.

With the A4 you trade compactness and mobility for... Well, nothing really.

Actually I stand corrected:  if I was out of ammo and bayonet fighting, give me the A4 and the extra reach.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:31:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

YOU absolutely dont know what you are talking about. Where did I say black bears even one time?  Show it to me
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didnt you accost the NM game wardens for going to 556? Or was that someone else
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:33:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

If I was going on a big game/bear hunt, you would be one of the few people that I would consult.  (Seriously).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

What do bears prefer, 16" or 20"?

Wouldn't matter a whit unless you end up in physical contact, which seems to happen pretty regularly. At that point 4 extra inches of barrel is not going to be a plus.

CNS or bust, it's all about the ammo.

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:35:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You literally made all of that up.  I haven't seen anyone claim anything you just posted.

If you're resorting to exaggerations to make your point, you've lost, just give it up already.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:36:04 PM EDT
[#45]
lulz
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:36:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

True. Ive never unholstered/unslung a firearm because of people in CONUS but have in SE AK and wished for a gun bigger than a .270

There are definitely some US residents who can make a legit claim to need something bigger than an m4 but they also need something bigger than a 20" 556 too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

right tool for the job. where brown bears are I think a 45-70 guide gun or a Mini-G in 35 whelen would be fun.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:38:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Bears may very well be dangerous game... But that has about as much to do with what we're discussing in this thread as does cottage cheese.  

People, (lots of people, many of whose with much experience fighting with guns), KEEP telling you that the M16A4 and its 200 fps or so just isn't going to help you much.  Sight radius is a useless thing with optics, terminal effectiveness with all but the shittiest ammo is the same at both velocities, as is barrier penetration.  The added range from the velocity boost comes way out further than any realistic engagement range with a 5.56.

Actually I stand corrected:  if I was out of ammo and bayonet fighting, give me the A4 and the extra reach.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

mother effer. You edited. I was going to say after all the ammo ran out id rather use a 20"A2 to bayonet with
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:39:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What makes you think we had M4's when I was in , I never stated that anywhere.

Again you are trying to make your experience the only experience you think is relevant. I stated that the M4 is inadequate when compared to a rifle. It is, I also stated the military had to supplement the M4;s inadequacy with DMR rifles and ammunition programs , they did.  I am not the one trying to bill the M4 as the end all be all of equipment. I said its not a good choice in a SHTF situation as described by the OP, it works for the military because of the manner in which it is employed. Machine gun support, air support and Designated Marksmen augment the M4 .

Of course I am sure you will correct me and tell me that's not how combat works now days.  I  know you were out there all by yourself just an M4 and no help.  In a SHTF situation in the US because of disaster etc etc..  do you think as a private citizen you are going to have all those resources?  

Of course in a perfect world I would have an M551A1 in my garage for those SHTF moments cause I spent part of my enlistment in one.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:39:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I was out of ammo, I'd rather have a halberd.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:43:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Again you are trying to make your experience the only experience you think is relevant. I stated that the M4 is inadequate when compared to a rifle. It is, I also stated the military had to supplement the M4;s inadequacy with DMR rifles and ammunition programs , they did.  I am not the one trying to bill the M4 as the end all be all of equipment. I said its not a good choice in a SHTF situation as described by the OP, it works for the military because of the manner in which it is employed. Machine gun support, air support and Designated Marksmen augment the M4 .

Of course I am sure you will correct me and tell me that's not how combat works now days.  I  know you were out there all by yourself just an M4 and no help.  In a SHTF situation in the US because of disaster etc etc..  do you think as a private citizen you are going to have all those resources?  

Of course in a perfect world I would have an M551A1 in my garage for those SHTF moments cause I spent part of my enlistment in one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you're fighting room to room, all that support (machine guns, snipers, artillery, mortars, aircraft) doesn't help much.  Quite a few service members and LEO's have been in that situation with M4's.  But all that is meaningless in this stupid discussion.  Bottom line, the AR with a 10 or 14" barrel is simply an effective personal defense weapon.  I would rather have that in order to deal with immediate problems than something that is more suited to long range engagements.  If SHTF and I am confronted with what I think is a long range engagement, I am going to egress.
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top