Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 6/18/2016 2:35:36 PM EDT
Are these things secretly manufactured by Rolls-Royce or Maybach?

I can understand a two year old used SUV with 25k miles selling for $35k (sort of).

I can't understand the same SUV, ten years old with 200k miles selling for $15k. Surely, the first 200k miles (in a newish car) are worth more than the last 200k miles.

Questions for past/current owners of 4Runners:

Did you buy new or used?

Are you satisfied with the purchase?

Is there a good/bad time of year to buy?

For reference, I tend to keep cars forever.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 2:37:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm driving a 1995 4Runner I bought new - 327,000 and running good.  Needs new rubber in the trans before winter, starting to slip when it's cold, and I put a set of cyl heads on it a few years ago.  Shooting for 500K, and should have no prob getting it.

So yea, they are worth some premium to me.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 2:37:52 PM EDT
[#2]
You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 2:39:35 PM EDT
[#3]
i bought one about 6 weeks ago, 2004 sport edition, 121k miles, 10 grand.

it is what it is
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 2:40:57 PM EDT
[#4]
invest in bitcoins it would seen cheaper when you buy.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 2:40:59 PM EDT
[#5]
The one that flipped and then hit me could probably be had fairly cheap... Please replace the retreads with good tires if you go that route.  

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 2:41:05 PM EDT
[#6]
They hold their value extremely well.  

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 2:41:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Im a professional auto mechanic.
I keep cars for a long time.
I drive a 13 year old Tundra with 190k.
I paid a premium over like condition domestic trucks for it.
Ill probably drive it till it hits 300k.
Im very happy with it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Have a 2014. Was going to buy used, but as you stated the sticker shock of used prices....it was ither $32k for a three year old model with 50k, or $36k for a brand new one.

Runs like a top, but has a few squeaks and pops that really piss me off that toyota refuses to address. I came from a BMW 3 series so I had very high expectations. I'd say the 4Runner is about 70% of what the BMW was.

I'd highly suggest getting the Limited model.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 2:46:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i bought one about 6 weeks ago, 2004 sport edition, 121k miles, 10 grand.

it is what it is
View Quote

Well, that sort of sounds like a deal at least that it is relatively low miles, but damn, still a lot of cash fof a 12-year old car. Sounds like a great deal for a car that old with 30k miles.

My daily driver is a 2001 jeep I bought used in 2003 with 20k miles. It now has 187k on it. I paid 12k for it then. It might make it to 225k but "it leakin" and the AC quit two years ago.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 2:47:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Bought my 99 with 278k on it, bolted on a supercharger, headers, lift, wheels/tires, etc. drive it every day, still runs like its new.

This is common for these vehicles, they just flat out last and are built right.
For the price, yeah, you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 2:47:36 PM EDT
[#11]
They aren't worth the asking price new or used.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 2:47:52 PM EDT
[#12]
The new ones are bad ass
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 2:49:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm driving an 08 that I bought used in 2010.

100% satisfied, should have bought one long before that.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 2:50:37 PM EDT
[#14]
You think 4Runners are bad, try finding a decent used Land Cruiser...
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 2:51:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Oh what a Feeling
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 2:51:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I paid $4200 for a 2001 in great shape w/190k on it last year and thought I did well.
I paid $12,500 for a 2008 double cab prerunner with 120k this year and I'm happy.

Sometimes you have to pay market price for what you want.

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 2:52:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I can understand a two year old used SUV with 25k miles selling for $35k (sort of).

I can't understand the same SUV, ten years old with 200k miles selling for $15k. Surely, the first 200k miles (in a newish car) are worth more than the last 200k miles.

Did you buy new or used?

View Quote

Do a quick compare/contrast between the retained value on a Ford Explorer of similar vintage to the 4Runner you're looking at, and then go look at the two vehicles in person. You're going to find that the Ford Explorer is worth just what you're going to pay for it, which is a fraction of the cost of a 4Runner of similar vintage. There's a reason for that--The quality of the build, and the components used. Ford built most of the Explorers with crap components that don't last, especially down in the details. The Toyota, on the other hand...? Built with much higher-grade parts. It's the little things that count--Ford and other US manufacturers do everything on "cost". Toyota did most of their design based on "value"--If Ford could save thirty-five cents by buying a cheaper switch to bury in a transmission, they did it. Toyota engineers looked at the same sort of thing and said: "Hmmm... If we use the same high-quality switch on every car in our fleet, then we can get the price down thirty-five cents...". Make a thousand decisions like this, and it adds up to that huge difference in retained value, and the premium you see paid for a used 4Runner.

The "Big Three" used to run things like what GM called the "Mona Lisa Program", where they'd go buy competitors cars off the lot across America, and then take them back to Detroit to tear down to individual parts and then analyze. I talked to one of the engineers who worked on that program, and it was his abiding frustration that he could never get the money-grubbing idiots running the companies to realize what they were looking at. It's like that switch I mentioned; Toyota got economy of scale by putting that switch in every one of their cars at thirty-five cents, and it was built by Denso to exceed marine-grade standards. The damn things lasted forever. GM looked at that, saw the switch cost thirty-five cents, and then went to Delco and said "Build us a switch like this for thirty-five cents, for this car...". Naturally, since Delco wasn't building that switch in lots of several hundred thousand, they couldn't match the quality of the build for that price... And, thus, the switch fails on the GM product just as it is going out of warranty.

That shit adds up, after awhile, and that's why most Ford Explorers built and sold during the 1990s are in junkyards, and most 4Runners are still on the roads. Disbelieve me? Go take a look at the registration numbers. Most of the Toyotas registered during that period are still on the road; most of the Ford Explorers are not. Want to know where they are? Go look in the junkyards...

The US manufacturers chose to put bean-counters in charge of their companies. That's why they have made all the poor choices they have, and it's a commentary on what Henry Ford once said about accountants: They know the cost of everything, and the value of nothing.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 2:53:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Own a 2016 TRD-Pro. Paid invoice for it. It's one of the most robust trucks I've ever owned. May never buy anything other than Toyota.

ETA - still one of the only body in frame designs out there and I believe the only available suv made in Japan and imported dorectly, which adds to the overall cost.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 2:54:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought a used 2013 tundra RW with 11K for 29.5K in 2015.  My buddies 08 tundra has something near 240K with no major issues.  I have become a yoTa fanboy.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 2:56:19 PM EDT
[#20]
2010 Limited- I keep cars forever too so bought it new. It now has 93,000 miles and it runs like new. They are bulletproof. Some would say 200,000 miles is when they're finally broken in...
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 2:59:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I saw a 'trd pro' model today that was a really good looking truck
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:00:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Did you buy new or used?

View Quote

They're actually manufactured in the Tihara Aichi Lexus plant in Japan, one of the most advanced automotive facilities in the world.

I have bought both new and used, 3 in total.

Satisfied with all of them.

When gas prices spike is the best time to buy.

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:06:11 PM EDT
[#23]
I had a 4-banger Taco 4x4 that I ran hard, I mean HARD, for years in the Phoenix desert. I tried to break it - and failed. I then ran a Tundra for years, handed down to my son. Now I'm rocking a TRD Pro. Love me some Toyota. They're worth every penny.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:12:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Used car prices in general are out of control.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:13:36 PM EDT
[#25]
The 4Runner is a Japanese built body on frame truck. They're very well built. Mileage doesn't matter as much as finding a well maintained one.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:13:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Insurance costs are also low on 4runners.  

https://learningcenter.statefarm.com/auto/vehicle-rating.html
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#27]
We were looking at 4runners and explorer sports and went with the explorer sport ecoboost because it had a much nicer interior and damn near 100hp more.
I've always liked Toyota but they need to up their game on the 4Runner.

And all vehicle prices are now crazy.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:16:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Snip

View Quote

This man knows what he's talking about. Do this, go get an oem Toyota denso part, and compare it side by side with an autozone replacement aftermarket part. There's just no comparison on quality.

It'll cost maybe 25-50% more for an oem Toyota part, but it will always last and perform better than aftermarket.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:16:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
They aren't worth the asking price new or used.
View Quote

MOPAR man I take it?

These Yotas are worth it. Have owned two 4Runners in the past and currently have a 2011 FJ Trail Edition with 100k. The resale value on these things is outstanding.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:17:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Until this month I was driving a '96.  What stopped it?  A doe that leapt in front of me on I-25.    A super reliable vehicle.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:17:06 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a 2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition bought new- now has 137,952 miles
I still have the original:
Engine
Transmission
Heater hoses
Radiator hoses
Flexible brake hoses
Shocks
Springs
Headlights
Rear wheel bearings and seals
All my dashboard lights still work
Other small related parts are still original too

My dealership offered to buy it back from me for $15,000 last year.
I turned them down.

It has never, ever let me down.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:19:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
We were looking at 4runners and explorer sports and went with the explorer sport ecoboost because it had a much nicer interior and damn near 100hp more.

View Quote

Check back in 10 years and 150k miles.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:19:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Man, that is not something I'd have ever guessed. LRI "A" rating on a 4runner vs. a "c" rating for a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I follow the guy on the quality thing, but literally, if someone makes 1000 decisions on a 0.35 part, then that only should amount to $350. Evidently, it is a $35k difference.

I guess if I buy one for an outrageous price new or used, I can always sell it for an outrageous used price (so long as gas/etc. doesn't kill the used market).

Now, can someone explain how the used price on a 2016 Limited with 18k miles is higher than the list new price for zero miles with what looks like identical trim?
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:20:04 PM EDT
[#34]
5 years ago I bought my 2000. It had 129k on it. Paid $7,300.

I put 30,000 miles on it since then, and probably could get $5,000 for it.

It is crazy what they command. I wonder how the new ones will hold up?
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:20:21 PM EDT
[#35]
If you are looking for one then so are others.

They are good vehicles.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:25:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife doesn't keep em that long. 5 years and 60k tops and it'll be on to the next. Her last rig was a Acura RDX and I prefer the explorer.

But I agree if you're keeping a vehicle until the wheels fall off. My 96 Tacoma is still cruising at 387,000.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:26:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
5 years ago I bought my 2000. It had 129k on it. Paid $7,300.

I put 30,000 miles on it since then, and probably could get $5,000 for it.

It is crazy what they command. I wonder how the new ones will hold up?
View Quote

The 2003 and the 2016 are based on the same platform. The engines are very, very similar. Toyota has been refining their products rather than reinvent them every few years. The "new" Tacoma is basically a face lifted 2005 with a Lexus based engine and a new transmission. The Japanese companies have their shit together, even if they aren't selling ground breaking products.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:28:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

My wife doesn't keep em that long. 5 years and 60k tops and it'll be on to the next. Her last rig was a Acura RDX and I prefer the explorer.

But I agree if you're keeping a vehicle until the wheels fall off. My 96 Tacoma is still cruising at 387,000.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the model I would follow if I were buying a German car. Buy new, keep it 5 years, then sell it. If the resale value is there, go for it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:29:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup. And they are the worst investment you can make.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:30:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Demand.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:37:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you saying a new one is a better investment?
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:39:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Toyota does not build them as good as they used to.  

I have a 1999 Tacoma that was 14 years old and had 140K miles before I did any maintenance other than oil changes, two sets of tires, and two batteries.  Even the factory brake pads lasted that long.  

I have a 2007 Tundra with 60K miles, it is a great truck but has little cosmetic things break here and there.  It has always been garaged but the window seals are dryrotting and a few small interior things have broken.  The paint also scratches if you look at it wrong.

I love both but even Toyota has cut some corners in the past few years.  That being said both are worlds better than a year equivalent from the big three.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:39:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Man, that is not something I'd have ever guessed. LRI "A" rating on a 4runner vs. a "c" rating for a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I follow the guy on the quality thing, but literally, if someone makes 1000 decisions on a 0.35 part, then that only should amount to $350. Evidently, it is a $35k difference.

I guess if I buy one for an outrageous price new or used, I can always sell it for an outrageous used price (so long as gas/etc. doesn't kill the used market).

Now, can someone explain how the used price on a 2016 Limited with 18k miles is higher than the list new price for zero miles with what looks like identical trim?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It probably has a slightly different package, i.e. Technology pkg, TRD parts, heated seats, etc.
The value they hold if properly cared for is real. In November I bought a 2015 TRD pro tacoma for 33k. Drove it for 2500 miles, and 1 month. Went back and ordered a 2016 TRD off-road 4x4. They gave me 32k for the '15 for a trade in. They sold the '15 the next day for 33k again.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:40:46 PM EDT
[#44]
I own a 15 trail edition. Love it. Only 8600 miles since I bought it new, I only tend to drive it once a week.

The Corolla gets flogged daily with driving in rush hour traffic, though.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:44:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You think 4Runners are bad, try finding a decent used Land Cruiser...
View Quote

Shhhhh..we don't talk about that.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:44:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Bought new, got a 2016 Trail.

They had a two year old used one, same trim and options, for literally more money. Made no sense.

Totally satisfied, it's an awesome truck.

ETA: PICS!

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:46:46 PM EDT
[#47]
I bought my 2003 model for $5,000 in November 2015. Had 163k on it and was in mint condition.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Good cars cost money. You can't fool the market.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:48:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This man knows what he's talking about. Do this, go get an oem Toyota denso part, and compare it side by side with an autozone replacement aftermarket part. There's just no comparison on quality.

It'll cost maybe 25-50% more for an oem Toyota part, but it will always last and perform better than aftermarket.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snip

Not for nothing, but the same is true of ACDelco/MotorCraft/Mopar and Vato Zone/Advanced/O'reilly parts. If possible, ALWAYS buy OEM unless you can get a better name-brand part aftermarket.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:49:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Toyota does not build them as good as they used to.  

I have a 1999 Tacoma that was 14 years old and had 140K miles before I did any maintenance other than oil changes, two sets of tires, and two batteries.  Even the factory brake pads lasted that long.  

I have a 2007 Tundra with 60K miles, it is a great truck but has little cosmetic things break here and there.  It has always been garaged but the window seals are dryrotting and a few small interior things have broken.  The paint also scratches if you look at it wrong.

I love both but even Toyota has cut some corners in the past few years.  That being said both are worlds better than a year equivalent from the big three.
View Quote

Aw, fo realz? Honestly, I am less worried about cosmetic things than mechanical things. My current Jeep has been mechanically pretty good to me, but absolutely full of creature comfort / electrical gremlins. Bad power lock switches, weird corrosion (vehicle has lived in low-salt mid south its entire life). Radio quit over a year ago, don't really miss it.

I wish a company would build a quality big/midsized car with as few things to break as possible - meaning - if it isn't really needed in the car, it isn't there.

My other alternative here would be to finish out my 55 belair 2d htp - 396BB - all metal interior. It also has no AC, but real big windows.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top