Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 6/12/2016 12:46:19 AM EDT
It'll be starting in a few weeks. I plan on driving a car from Memphis TN, to SoCal. Along the way I'll purchase a car from the 80s with questionable reliability. I will then drive that vehicle to Deadhorse, AK and then back to my home.

Does anyone have some tips for me? This is not at all well thought out. I plan on taking a lot of video and photos on the way. You'd think that it would be fairly easy to find a companion for this journey, but alas I'm like Gandalf trying to get Bilbo out of the Shire meets a Dr. Who that can't find anyone to ride in the Tardis.

I do plan on updating this thread as extensively as possible on my way. I don't own any cellular phone so I'll be relying on an Ipad and free wifi at DQ to make my transmissions.

The map

I'm not committed to it at all. I'd be happy to take a mini adventure along the way.

https://goo.gl/maps/v6BDdHGmzb42

The Car

In the 80s Carroll Shelby worked with Chrysler to perfect the 2.2 and 2.5 liter turbocharged engines that Chryco put in pretty much every vehicle they sold. You could have ordered a minivan with the 2.5 turbo and a manual trans for pete's sake. In 1989 there were 208 Dodge Lancer Shelby cars produced. The one I'm picking up will be similar to that pictured here.

Now, most of you won't care, but I've had a love for the 2.2/2.5 turbo cars since I've been in college so it's high time I finally get a Lancer Shelby as I've had just about every other body style Chrysler offered. As such I've got a very good idea of exactly what you do and don't need to keep the car running. There are really three things that'll absolutely do you in when it comes to these due to wait times for parts IMO. I plan on bringing a spare of each.

1. Fuel pump
2. Timing belt (non-interference design FTW)
3. Hall Effect Pickup

Since I'll have all my tools with me when I go out west to deliver the car from Memphis I'll be good to go when it comes to any mechanical failure with the exception of the hard parts that realistically could fail on any vehicle. I'll be sure to have a temp spare and a full size spare also. Supposedly the tires on the car are good, and all features such as AC and cruise work.

The Gear

On my way I do plan on making a video of the trip. As a result I've added to my camera lineup a bit. I'm also planning on doing some camping if possible so I picked up some camping gear. Again, what could go wrong?

Camera equipment:

1. Canon 40D which I only have one memory card for. Fortunately, it's big enough that I can fit well over 4K photos on it with ease. I don't plan on removing the card from the camera at all and hoping for the best. I have a 17-50mm F2.8, 50mm F1.4, and 70-200mm F2.8 which will be shared with the next camera.

2. Canon 70D. This will hopefully be what I shoot the bulk of my video with. I have a lot of experience using it and it has served me well so far. All lenses will be shared between this and the 40D. I should be able to capture some incredible images and video with this.

3. Gopro Hero4 Silver I've never used one of these, but thought it would make for a versatile camera which can get shots that the other ones won't. I have a suction cup mount coming for it also in order that I might get some nice shots of sunsets etc. while driving.

4. To empty the cards I picked up a WD Mypassport 2TB wireless HD. Supposedly I can empty the card onto it without a laptop or other gear. I hope this works well...

5. Miscellaneous cards, batteries, and chargers. I also have a super cheap tripod I'll be bringing along for the trip.

Camping gear:

1. REI had a sweet deal on a camping bundle that someone on here suggested so I picked it up and I'll give it a go on the road. If I can camp even two times on my trip it'll pay for the tent etc.

2. I sure hope I don't need it, but I'll also be packing along a Life Straw in case I run out of water. I plan on packing something to make fire with along with my jackets etc. in addition to this. It should be a pretty light load which will be necessary given the size of the car and the fact that I'll be loaded down with tools etc.

3. Thanks to JohnnyReno I've added this light. It should serve me well if I need to use both hand and want to see what I'm doing. Of course this will be totally unnecessary in AK at this time of year, but I won't be in AK the whole time...

Meet and Greet

The only part of my route that's really set in stone is the portion from Memphis to SoCal. I would love to meet up with anyone that wanted to hang out along the way. Once I head out and start posting up we can figure something out I guess? I've never done this before so I'm open to suggestions. I have no phone so that'll make it interesting.

Link Posted: 6/12/2016 12:49:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Tag.

Sounds like a fun way to spend the summer.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 12:50:48 AM EDT
[#2]
This promises to be interesting....
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 12:52:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't pick up any Hitchers
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 12:53:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I drove from socal to nc in  17 ft uhaul.

The only epicness was how malnourished I looked at the end of the trip.  I only drank enough water to stay alive and ate like one bite of beef jerky every four hours because I didn't want to stop for bathroom breaks unless I absolutely needed to stop for gas.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 12:53:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Screen name is appropriate.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 12:53:41 AM EDT
[#6]
That was the strangest DT I've ever had.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 12:54:49 AM EDT
[#7]
California. Ew gross
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 12:54:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Sounds freaking awesome!

I wish I'd have done something like that when I had far less responsibility in life.

Good on you for taking the chance!  Stay safe, and keep us updated!
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 12:56:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HA! Good point.

If you haven't seen the movie The Hitcher you should watch it. Very similar scenario to what you described. Or at least avoid any who look like Rutger Hauer.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 12:57:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Try to stop in small towns along the way and help people out. . .

Most likely you will encounter a beautiful girl, your age, who is not married or have a boyfriend.  

She will be attracted to you, but you will have to leave her behind, as you must finish your epic journey. . . . but she will always remember you fondly. . .
Well, . . . that's how it seemed to go in all those TV shows from the 60's anyway. . . Rte 66, Then Came Bronson, etc, etc. .
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 12:59:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like an episode of Roadkill (on Youtube), I would recommend taking some tools, fluids and spare parts for the car...

ETA:  Last July I bought a car (2013 Mustang GT) in San Diego and drove it home to Eastern WA, only a 2 day drive, but it was a great mini adventure.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 1:03:25 AM EDT
[#12]
If you stop in Lubbock Tx let me so we can go have a drink!
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 1:05:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Tag for what may be an epic thread.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 1:07:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Link is fubar but the trip sounds cool.

Sounds like fun though.

And yes, this is a tag.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 1:09:04 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Sounds like fun though.

And yes, this is a tag.
View Quote

Link should work now.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 1:18:44 AM EDT
[#16]
While in CA, stop by and see the Redwoods. I have always wanted to check those out. Maybe swing by Coronado and see the seals doing PT or something unique other than the typical "worlds largest _____"

Looks like you will also be driving along the Highway of tears for a while. Sad story there.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 1:38:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Arfcom version of Roadkill? Sure I'm in.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 1:47:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Link should work now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like fun though.

And yes, this is a tag.

Link should work now.

Thanks,

I would make some changes to your Canadian route, but that's just me.
Unless you are visiting along the way, you are going to miss a lot of spectacular scenery and get bored with it real fast.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 1:57:09 AM EDT
[#19]
OST
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 2:03:18 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Thanks,

Unless you are visiting along the way, you are going to miss a lot of spectacular scenery and get bored with it real fast.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like fun though.

And yes, this is a tag.

Link should work now.

Thanks,

I'm open to suggestions. I will probably stay at a friends house somewhere outside of Edmonton on the way back, but I haven't spoken with him about it yet. Other than that I have no plan.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 2:07:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Are you going to rent motel rooms along the way, or try to sleep in the car?

What sort of budget do you have in mind for this trip?
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 2:11:38 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Are you going to rent motel rooms along the way, or try to sleep in the car?

What sort of budget do you have in mind for this trip?
View Quote

I'll probably do a little of both as far as sleeping goes. Since I haven't been able to find anyone to accompany me on this journey I would love to find some camping spots.

The budget is as little as possible since I'm really cheap. The car should get between 25 and 30mpgs. I don't eat or drink much on trips and I would actually prefer hitting up a grocery store every day or two in order to keep my weight in check. I think with the car, photo equipment, gas, food, and lodging I should be into this for about 6K. The car will be about half the total.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 3:12:31 AM EDT
[#23]
I'll tag for updates
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 3:49:02 AM EDT
[#24]
IM me when you get close to Fairbanks, we can grab a beer.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 4:16:47 AM EDT
[#25]
tag
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 4:27:31 AM EDT
[#26]
I've already driven 12,000 miles since 5/15, in my car. Here are my tips:

Switch between radio stations. Switch music styles, switch to talk radio, then to podcasts. I listen to a lot of alternative, techno (EDM or whatever), BBC World feed, and Coast to Coast AM. Once it becomes background noise, switch. Make phone calls to friends or family you know will chat, they'll keep you awake.

If you need to stay awake, caffeinate before you feel tired. Being tired is something you need to stay ahead of.

Set goals, they keep you awake. If you can only stay up another 2 hours, find a place 3 hours away. The goal keeps you awake.

Sleep in the passenger seat. The last thing you want is to just put the seat up and go, it'll be too hot you'll want to go to sleep again. Switch seats to sleep.

Stretch. The blood flow helps.

Don't eat shit all the time. Loves and Flying J and Pilot and QT and Kum & Go sell fruit and stuff. I love tacos but I can't eat tacos every meal, although I'm able to eat tacos every meal. I eat a lot of pineapple or grapefruit and drink coconut water when I'm driving.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 4:39:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Passing through my city.

Link Posted: 6/12/2016 5:01:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Been driving out west and sleeping in my car for the past month. Drove from Ga and now I'm in Costa Mesa California. I've put on close to 10k miles since May 11th.

Set small goals. On google maps I'll set my waypoint to a town that's like 1hr away, and so on. For some reason I get tired quicker if I see that my destination for the day is 8 hours away, instead of having a bunch of mini destinations along the way.

I'd recommend getting a good gym membership.

I'm a member at Anytime Fitness and they have gyms all over with nice clean showers that are open 24/7. Sometimes I'll just go in and sleep on the lying leg curl machine, then act like I passed out from lifting heavy when people come in in the morning and wake me up to see if I'm okay.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 5:55:57 AM EDT
[#29]
In for the updates
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 6:03:42 AM EDT
[#30]
80s with questionable reliability
This part????
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 6:15:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Make sure you have good tires in Canada.  If you have any doubt get a second spare from a salvage yard.

Bring extra gas for the haul road to Deadhorse.    Never pass a gas station north of Fairbanks without filling up.   Buy a copy of "The Milepost".
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 6:32:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Tagged for future updates.

Have fun . . .
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 7:38:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Good luck and be safe.

If you're going to be buying an old car with unknown maintenance I would stop by Harbor Freight and get a cheap set of hand tools, tire plug kit and some other cheap crap. I'd also get some spare parts for the car like a serpentine belt.

Post lots of pics!

Link Posted: 6/12/2016 7:46:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 8:12:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 8:24:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
80s with questionable reliability
This part????
View Quote

This is the make the trip or trip from hell part.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 8:52:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Remember, the Canuckistanis do NOT want you coming into their fair country with guns.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 8:57:42 AM EDT
[#38]
I want to hear more about your transportation you haven't even met yet.

80's CA cars are junk with junk smog shit.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 9:06:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Yeah, fuck that,

I just got back from a three hour drive in 95 degree heat to Cincinnati in a crown vic with no AC. Not leaving my air conditioned house until Monday
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 10:32:35 PM EDT
[#40]
I'll update the OP with key info as I get it figured out. I don't want to divulge too much info about the car since it isn't a done deal yet, but the seller seems on the up and up so I'll mention the type and my background with the cars in general.

The Car

I have to deliver a car from Memphis, TN to SoCal and along the way I hope to buy a car to finish off the journey. I'll drive this car with no plates on it from CA to AK and back. It can't be worse than when I brought my last car home from CA and was pulled over 3 times in a day. What could go wrong? A lot. Which is why I've chosen this vehicle very carefully.  

In the 80s Carroll Shelby worked with Chrysler to perfect the 2.2 and 2.5 liter turbocharged engines that Chryco put in pretty much every vehicle they sold. You could have ordered a minivan with the 2.5 turbo and a manual trans for pete's sake. In 1989 there were 208 Dodge Lancer Shelby cars produced. The one I'm picking up will be similar to that pictured here.

Now, most of you won't care, but I've had a love for the 2.2/2.5 turbo cars since I've been in college so it's high time I finally get a Lancer Shelby as I've had just about every other body style Chrysler offered. As such I've got a very good idea of exactly what you do and don't need to keep the car running. There are really three things that'll absolutely do you in when it comes to these due to wait times for parts IMO. I plan on bringing a spare of each.

1. Fuel pump

3. Hall Effect Pickup

Since I'll have all my tools with me when I go out west to deliver the car from Memphis I'll be good to go when it comes to any mechanical failure with the exception of the hard parts that realistically could fail on any vehicle. I'll be sure to have a temp spare and a full size spare also. Supposedly the tires on the car are good, and all features such as AC and cruise work.

Link Posted: 6/12/2016 10:41:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'll update the OP with key info as I get it figured out. I don't want to divulge too much info about the car since it isn't a done deal yet, but the seller seems on the up and up so I'll mention the type and my background with the cars in general.

The Car

I have to deliver a car from Memphis, TN to SoCal and along the way I hope to buy a car to finish off the journey. I'll drive this car with no plates on it from CA to AK and back. It can't be worse than when I brought my last car home from CA and was pulled over 3 times in a day. What could go wrong? A lot. Which is why I've chosen this vehicle very carefully.  

http://amoparx.net/mnsdacpic/june07/june03b.JPG

1. Fuel pump
3. Hall Effect Pickup

View Quote

When you go through Oklahoma City you are welcome to be my guest. I don't agree on the engine remark. Those engines were built by Mitsubishi and supplied to Chrysler.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 10:55:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The Car

1. Fuel pump
3. Hall Effect Pickup

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The Car

1. Fuel pump
3. Hall Effect Pickup

Take a spare head gasket also.

Quoted:
When you go through Oklahoma City you are welcome to be my guest. I don't agree on the engine remark. Those engines were built by Mitsubishi and supplied to Chrysler.

Nah, your thinking of the 2.6. The  2.2/2.5 was a Chrysler corporation engine.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 10:59:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Make sure you have good tires in Canada.  If you have any doubt get a second spare from a salvage yard.

Bring extra gas for the haul road to Deadhorse.    Never pass a gas station north of Fairbanks without filling up.   Buy a copy of "The Milepost".
View Quote

You'll need some gas cans for this section for sure.

Can I ask why Deadhorse? Besides it being so far north?

Just curious as I am sitting in Deadhorse currently.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 11:24:13 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Purely due to the latitude. I would also like to gaze upon what is essentially the arctic ocean.

For all the ARFCOMMERs offering to meet up, I will probably be taking a lot of you up on this. It'll be difficult to coordinate on account of my lack of a cellular phone, but I think we can make it happen. Since I'm apparently flying solo or at least lucky to have someone out to socal I'll welcome the company for sure.

ETA: Any tips on what to look at would be appreciated. Especially if they aren't super out of the way and free. Advice on travel through CAN and in AK is especially needed.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 11:25:12 PM EDT
[#45]
I worked at Dodge when those were new . If you have any questions I might remember .
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 11:28:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Car

1. Fuel pump
3. Hall Effect Pickup

They were not built by Mitsubishi , The Chrysler 2.2/2.5 was a copy of the Volkswagen 1.7 which Chrysler also used in some base cars. Chrysler bought 2.6 Mitsubishi engines those are a completely different animal .
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 11:32:37 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I worked at Dodge when those were new . If you have any questions I might remember .
View Quote

Thanks for the offer. The one thing I have going for me on this trip is that there is little if anything I haven't done to these cars over the years. I've rebuilt the transmissions, engines, swapped turbos, trouble shooting the electrical systems etc. etc. My old roommate had a 91 Shadow and he would call me to walk him through replacing things. I was able to do it over the phone on account of knowing bolt and nut sizes etc. I'm certainly not trying to come off as a braggart, but this is literally the one area of this whole proposition which I know well.

I'm interested to know how you like working on the cars when they were new though? How were they? It seems to me that these things are all but bullet proof, but time has a way of smoothing over engineering mistakes. I know the 16v TIII guys talk about how reliable they were, but if you speak with someone who was a mechanic at the time they'll tell you all about how horrible they were to work on and all the problems they had. The poster above mentioned the HGs and I've heard that from a few people, but I've never run into that problem myself. I think a lot of it had to do with some of the very early HGs and the fact that people tried to the newer Al cylinder heads hot like they would have a cast iron unit years before.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 11:45:48 PM EDT
[#48]
How are you getting from Champaign to Memphis?

Are you going to take the City of New Orleans?

Link Posted: 6/12/2016 11:46:48 PM EDT
[#49]
in.  just cause a friend in HS has a dodge omni shelby.  had a 5k stereo in a 1k car
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 12:06:33 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

No. I'll be driving a personal vehicle to that point. I'm not sure how it's getting home yet, but that's the least of my concern right now. Thus far I've had multiple people back out on me for even the leg of the journey from Memphis to SoCal. At this time I'm unsure how I'm going to get the Lancer the last couple hundred miles to the drop point for the Omni.

Quoted:

in. just cause a friend in HS has a dodge omni shelby. had a 5k stereo in a 1k car

Sweet. I just figured out how to multi quote. Was it an actual GLHS or just a GLH N/A or Turbo? The 500 numbered 86 GLHS cars are getting to the point that they bring a little money.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top