Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/2/2016 5:47:09 PM EDT
Landmark California bill would allow prosecution of climate-change skeptics

A landmark California bill gaining steam would make it illegal to engage in climate-change dissent, clearing the way for lawsuits against fossil-fuel companies, think-tanks and others that have “deceived or misled the public on the risks of climate change.”

The first-of-its-kind legislation — Senate Bill 1161, or the California Climate Science Truth and Accountability Act of 2016 — is scheduled for floor action Thursday after clearing Senate committees in April and May.

The measure would allow state and local prosecutors to pursue claims against climate-change skepticism as a violation of the state’s Unfair Competition Law [UCL], as well as extend the four-year statute of limitations for such claims retroactively to Jan. 1, 2021.

“This bill explicitly authorizes district attorneys and the Attorney General to pursue UCL claims alleging that a business or organization has directly or indirectly engaged in unfair competition with respect to scientific evidence regarding the existence, extent, or current or future impacts of anthropogenic induced climate change,” says the state Senate Rules
View Quote

Seems to me there should be some serious discussion about a what do with a rogue State government that is so far Left that they are becoming an unconstitutional entity, and constitutional protections are no longer protecting the people.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 5:50:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Seems to me there should be some serious discussion about a what do with a rogue State government that is so far Left that they are becoming an unconstitutional entity, and constitutional protections are no longer protecting the people.
View Quote

Not if you value your account here.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 5:51:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Let it burn. Pain is a great educator.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 5:52:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Just another reminder of how important the 2016 election will be in terms of SCOTUS appointments.

Link Posted: 6/2/2016 5:52:28 PM EDT
[#5]
It is what happens when the 2nd amendment is done with. The first is next.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 5:54:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 5:55:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't see why not, it's OK to support running a car off the road and causing bodily harm to the occupants. May as well discuss what you want to discuss.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 5:57:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

A landmark California bill gaining steam would make it illegal to engage in climate-change dissent, clearing the way for lawsuits against fossil-fuel companies, think-tanks and others that have “deceived or misled the public on the risks of climate change.”

The first-of-its-kind legislation — Senate Bill 1161, or the California Climate Science Truth and Accountability Act of 2016 — is scheduled for floor action Thursday after clearing Senate committees in April and May.

The measure would allow state and local prosecutors to pursue claims against climate-change skepticism as a violation of the state’s Unfair Competition Law [UCL], as well as extend the four-year statute of limitations for such claims retroactively to Jan. 1, 2021.

“This bill explicitly authorizes district attorneys and the Attorney General to pursue UCL claims alleging that a business or organization has directly or indirectly engaged in unfair competition with respect to scientific evidence regarding the existence, extent, or current or future impacts of anthropogenic induced climate change,” says the state Senate Rules
View Quote

View Quote

These assholes will think it's a great thing to force companies like Shell Oil to court and make them pay, all the way up until Shell's scientists force them to prove their global warming enviro hippie bullshit.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 5:57:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Anthropomorphic Climate Change as a risk to life and the environment on this planet is complete and utter bullshit.

Come try to prosecute me assholes.

Try to take me from my home for a "thought crime"
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 5:57:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

My thoughts exactly.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not mean for that statement to prompt COC violations when I said discussion I meant at a federal level.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 5:58:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Soon California will require a registry for all educated people, especially conservatives.  You know, to promote diversity.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 5:59:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Now you see why we want Cali to break off into the ocean.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:02:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

The first thing I thought of.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:03:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Anthropomorphic Climate Change as a risk to life and the environment on this planet is complete and utter bullshit.

View Quote

The law will be implemented retroactively and they plan to extradite.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:03:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My thoughts exactly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My thoughts exactly.

No one is really using either.

I like my comfort and life too much, we all do - we've been taking it in the rear for years and years now in exchange.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:03:23 PM EDT
[#17]
the 2nd is pretty much dead in CA, might as well start to kill off the 1st.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:03:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Religious nutjobs and their democrat theocracy.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:03:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I don't see why not, it's OK to support running a car off the road and causing bodily harm to the occupants. May as well discuss what you want to discuss.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know the answer to that question does not necessarily have to involve violence or any sort of illegal behavior. State has gone rogue? Elect officials at the federal level that have more respect for the people and then have those officials shut off the money spigot to that state until they reform. Look at the civil rights era for an example. They went so far as to send in armed troops. The federal government was able to make states do things that didn't want to do. Making them forget all about banning speech they don't like would not be difficult if you had the right people in charge.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:03:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Seems like they're really doing their part to strengthen case law.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:05:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

That can't possibly be true? It makes my brain hurt thinking a Gvt. body in America would pass something like that knowing it is completely unconstitutional.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:05:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Earthquake time, some people need a reality check.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Il est dangereux d’avoir raison dans des choses ou des hommes accredites ont tort.

Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:06:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That can't possibly be true? It makes my brain hurt thinking a Gvt. body in America would pass something like that knowing it is completely unconstitutional.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You think Kali cares about the Constitution?
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:07:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Il est dangereux d’avoir raison dans des choses ou des hommes accredites ont tort.  
View Quote

My latin is rusty, did you just say bend over?
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:10:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Lol at you guys thinking this means that they can prosecute those who deny climate change.  

While this bill is obviously  complete horse shit, it's also not what you guys claim it is.  Reading is for faggots.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:11:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Here in California, the government knows best
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:12:15 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's French and a quote from Voltaire.

"It is dangerous to be right in matters when established men are wrong."
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:13:40 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm NOT a skeptic.  I AM a Denier.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:14:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You know the answer to that question does not necessarily have to involve violence or any sort of illegal behavior. State has gone rogue? Elect officials at the federal level that have more respect for the people and then have those officials shut off the money spigot to that state until they reform. Look at the civil rights era for an example. They went so far as to send in armed troops. The federal government was able to make states do things that didn't want to do. Making them forget all about banning speech they don't like would not be difficult if you had the right people in charge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Senate and Presidency is, long-term, lost to the dense urban cores because they outnumber the rest of the country demographically, and that will only get worse as time goes on.  With POTUS and the Senate both lost, SCOTUS is lost.  The House is at risk, and state level governments in those states answer only to the big cities because of the same math.  With SCOTUS lost, federal and state-level idiocy will be allowed to proceed and we have maybe a generation worth of time before people coming of voting age know nothing else and will reject actual Americanist liberty as strange, unsafe, and improper.

We have been out-bred and occupied by our own federal and state level electoral mechanics and the society of our nation is now being forcibly terraformed around us.  There is a very narrow window of time before the cultural consciousness of our nation acclimates to it and widely desires that condition to be maintained.  The system people are claiming we need to use to fix this mess is the same system that has created the problem and allowed it to be made all but permanent.  We can either accept that and decide how we want to face the problem, or keep blithely pretending that we as the shrinking numerical minority can somehow vote ourselves out of this hole.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:14:24 PM EDT
[#31]
How is that not protected speech?
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:14:31 PM EDT
[#32]
So, could we assume that because fossil fuel companies continue to exist, they are by definition denying the existence of global change cooling hottening climate.  

It would then, there fore, be illegal for them to conduct business in the rouge state of California.

Without any viable means of transportation, the economy of California would begin to shut down in 72 hours.

With any luck, the majority of them would simply starve to death in place.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:15:39 PM EDT
[#33]
They already passed the substantive law. This bill appears to extend the statute of limitation for actions (don't know the Ca. Code well enough to know whether civil or criminal) brought against climate deniers by the AG or DAs.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:16:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

genic vice morphic, but I get where you're coming from.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:17:06 PM EDT
[#35]
I hope it passes , we need to deny rights to everyone and not just the 2 nd amendment  .
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:17:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your French must be rusty as well.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:20:00 PM EDT
[#37]
You may only think thoughts that are approved by the State, Comrade

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:20:25 PM EDT
[#38]
I fucking hate this state. I want out.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:20:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:26:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Hell, you don't need that pesky First Amendment, you don't need that right to dissent, Big Brother knows what is best for you.............knows how you should think

It is dangerous to be right in things or accredited men are wrong.Voltaire

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell

Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:31:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Chances of passage?
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:33:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Just another reminder of how important the 2016 election will be in terms of SCOTUS appointments.

View Quote

But but but but TRUMP IS HITLER!!! TRUMP IS HITLER!!!! MY PRINCIPALS!!!!!! HE DOES NOT EVEN TALK ABOUT THE CONSTITUTION!!!!!!!!!!! TRUMP IS HITLER!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:34:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Cali is the first four letters of caliphate. So get down on your knees.

Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:34:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

If my mother, sister, and some other assorted relatives did not like there I would be ok with a mediumish meteor taking out the coastal areas of CA.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:35:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Does that now make it illegal to send power to California?
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but French is derived from Latin.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:36:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Let it burn. Pain is a great educator.
View Quote

Yup. Getting tired of eating this shit sammich. Bring on consequences of natural law. Want to see the lefties crushed under the wheels of their own machinations.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:38:43 PM EDT
[#48]

The nail that sticks up must be hammered down.

Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:38:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

“This bill explicitly authorizes district attorneys and the Attorney General to pursue UCL claims alleging that a business or organization has directly or indirectly engaged in unfair competition with respect to scientific evidence regarding the existence, extent, or current or future impacts of anthropogenic induced climate change
,” says the state Senate Rules
View Quote

View Quote
I would submit that the first organization they should sue is the state of California, there doing what  is in red to the "T".  
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 6:39:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

If that happens,we will have to dump N.J.,Mass.,and N.Y. into the Atlantic to keep the U.S. from tipping over....................
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top