Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 15
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 9:59:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We don't even understand why things have gravity.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those are all theories, sorry.

We could all be living in a simulation for all we know.

What's your opinion of the theory of gravity?

Is gravity real, or just a theory?
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:07:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those are all theories, sorry.

We could all be living in a simulation for all we know.

What's your opinion of the theory of gravity?

Newton said it was a law, Einstein proved him wrong and came up with a theory that better fit observations. As far as if it is real or not you have to define what is real. Is what we observe everyday real, hell if I know. It can't be proven. It also can't be disproved. We just take it on faith that the world we perceive is real.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:11:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Evolution is a solid gold fact.

It is as real as gravity and much better understood than electricity both of which are also scientific theories. DNA testing has put any question as to the validity of evolution to rest. Plus we literally have seen evolution happen in labs.

Biochemistry
Anatomy
Paleontology
Geographic distribution
Natural Selection
Speciation
Computational biology

All of these different fields of study have overwhelming evidence of evolution. It isn't a guess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence_of_common_descent

There is not one shred of evidence disproving evolution. Not one. Nothing. In fact there is no scientific theory with half as much evidence as evolution has from so many different sources. Not even gravity has as much "proof".

I doubt any skeptics will read that link, but we need our children to be literate in science if we want to survive as a society.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol it is not a fact because you can not prove it. What u see as proof of evolution I see as proof of Gods plan. For example your fish that walks, I see that God made a fish that walks. Fact is defined as a thing that is indisputably the case. guess what it's disputable.

Evolution is a solid gold fact.

It is as real as gravity and much better understood than electricity both of which are also scientific theories. DNA testing has put any question as to the validity of evolution to rest. Plus we literally have seen evolution happen in labs.

Biochemistry
Anatomy
Paleontology
Geographic distribution
Natural Selection
Speciation
Computational biology

All of these different fields of study have overwhelming evidence of evolution. It isn't a guess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence_of_common_descent

There is not one shred of evidence disproving evolution. Not one. Nothing. In fact there is no scientific theory with half as much evidence as evolution has from so many different sources. Not even gravity has as much "proof".

I doubt any skeptics will read that link, but we need our children to be literate in science if we want to survive as a society.

Did you create this thread because you think rush is a looney, or to prove evolution? Why do you seem to have a bone to pick?
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:14:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:16:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Me too.

What was the context of this and what was he doing?

Because it sounds like he was making the creationist argument of "if we evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys".  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
And another sucker falls for Rush's trolling.

Y'all are just w-a-a-a-y too easy.  

help me out here

who is he trolling, and to what end?  

Me too.

What was the context of this and what was he doing?

Because it sounds like he was making the creationist argument of "if we evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys".  

I think it's more like the line out there: "Men use guns to hunt deer because we can.  Deer have had the same millions of years on earth to evolve opposable thumbs and invent firearms and body armor to counter our threat, but they haven't.  So they lose."

The inherent superiority of humanity over everything in the animal kingdom is more likely the angle he was shooting for.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:19:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Its the evolution vs creationism argument....

He is saying that if evolution is the only explanation for man, and man evolved from apes, why didn't all apes evolve?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You guys really don't understand the satire in the point he's making?

I'm willing to concede it was taken out of context, so put it in context for us.

Its the evolution vs creationism argument....

He is saying that if evolution is the only explanation for man, and man evolved from apes, why didn't all apes evolve?

Aka, he doesn't understand evolution, or biology in general.

Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:20:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Actually I thought it was funny but it clearly took a very weird turn.

From the IMs I got, I'm not the only one that can't figure it out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did you create this thread because you think rush is a looney, or to prove evolution? Why do you seem to have a bone to pick?

Well... this is GD, after all.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:21:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

This^^^^ He's just stirring the pot to flush out the goods. Looks like he's doing a good job too.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:22:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Just when the satire flies over some heads, someone stands up and puts on the pointy hat.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually that makes a lot of sense

Just when the satire flies over some heads, someone stands up and puts on the pointy hat.

Its called poe's law.

And it is the reason people have a hard time determining satire from honest positions.

Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:22:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm far from a die hard Rush supporter, but obviously there are some idiots on here who lack critical thinking, as well as sarcasm detectors.
View Quote

I didn't hear it and don't care too much either way.  

But just that statement by itself doesn't strike me as sarcasm... because it's exactly the kind of argument I've seen people make on this very forum in complete seriousness.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:24:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
This^^^^ He's just stirring the pot to flush out the goods. Looks like he's doing a good job too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

People in the thread agree with his "satire" and are defending it as if it was a serious statement of fact.

Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:24:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't listen to Rush much, so I could be wrong...

That said, Rush has never been, in my observation, a Jesusy guy.

When he says dumb shit, its usually not Jesusy dumb shit.

This was probably snark of some kind.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:26:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Rush is the king of trolls.  He has created buzz, on purpose, and is merrily laughing all the way to the bank.  I'm sure he appreciates the support of ARFCOMERS who think he was being an ignorant flat-earther.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:26:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

10-4 boomhower.
It was very sarcastic, that part. However he was explaining why the media and everyone was so upset over a all the things going on in the world gorilla. Another theory he had was that to most people, gorillas and animals represent innocence and many would save an animal before a human and this is how they think.

He explained this in a trolling condescending tone, because he knows that stuff gets on others nerves.

I'm not a rush "listener" but I happened to catch this particular segment today. Imho, nothing to see here. Wasn't trying to prove evolution/creationism, he was trying to splain and troll.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:26:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:...we need our children to be literate in science if we want to survive as a society.
View Quote

We will always survive . . . science isn't required.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:30:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Had him on today as I was driving to the hardware store. Heard a commercial for FN. Made me want to buy another gun. I don't recall if I've ever heard a gun commercial on radio before.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:30:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:...we need our children to be literate in science if we want to survive as a society.

True.   Look at the middle east.

All we need is a holy book and robed asshole "scholars" to argue with eachother about it.

They get along fine.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:32:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Newton said it was a law, Einstein proved him wrong and came up with a theory that better fit observations. As far as if it is real or not you have to define what is real. Is what we observe everyday real, hell if I know. It can't be proven. It also can't be disproved. We just take it on faith that the world we perceive is real.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You has a serious misunderstanding of what science is.

Theories are just models that fit the observations we make in apparent reality and allow us to make predictions.

That's it.

More accurate theories are developed over time, but that doesn't mean they become "law" or "correct" or "the truth".

Theories are higher forms of understanding of the apparent universe than facts, since facts are just observations. Theories are higher forms of understanding about the apparent universe than laws, since laws don't allow you to make any predictions, they just tell you what we assume can and can't happen based on everything we've seen before.

Said another way:

Facts are things we observe. Laws rules that are only applicable within situations that are reasonably similar to what we can obverse and test with our theories and experiments. Outside of that, we tend to assume laws still work, but we don't know that for sure. For example: What happens in a black hole? What happened right after the big bang? Our theories break down, laws may or may not apply. We just don't know, since few, if any facts are known about those situations.

Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:34:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I do find it hilarious that evolutionists are so convinced they are right despite the the many, many holes in their theories and simple stuff they can not even begin to explain. It's almost like evolution is their religion, except without all of the archeological and written historical facts.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:35:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

As a society? No. No we won't.

Some other society will fill the void.

He who has the best technology, rules the world. This has been shown to be the case over and over again throughout history.

In today's modern age, the science genie is out of the bottle. Technology depends on science. To stay on top, you NEED science, or you fall behind.  Period.

Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:36:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I do find it hilarious that evolutionists are so convinced they are right despite the the many, many holes in their theories and simple stuff they can not even begin to explain. It's almost like evolution is their religion, except without all of the archeological and written historical facts.
View Quote
Why would you find something that isn't true hilarious?

Because the part in red is complete and utter bullshit.

Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:37:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Ditto-heads are fucked no matter how they justify this one:

If he was being satirical, it means he doesn't actually believe what he said, which means he doesn't believe in ridiculous arguments against evolution, which means he alienates a huge portion of his audience who actually does believe those arguments.
If he wasn't being satirical, it means that he actually believes what he said, which means he believes in ridiculous arguments against evolution, which means he looks like an idiot to the rest of the audience who doesn't believe in those arguments.

The Ditto-heads' reaction is that Rush can never be wrong, therefore what he said isn't alienating me, therefore he both meant and didn't mean what he said, which means that Rush can say anything and it is true.

Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:40:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Theories are just models that fit the observations we make in apparent reality and allow us to make predictions.

That's it.

More accurate theories are developed over time, but that doesn't mean they become "law" or "correct" or "the truth".

Theories are higher forms of understanding of the apparent universe than facts, since facts are just observations. Theories are higher forms of understanding about the apparent universe than laws, since laws don't allow you to make any predictions, they just tell you what we assume can and can't happen based on everything we've seen before.

Said another way:

Facts are things we observe. Laws rules that are only applicable within situations that are reasonably similar to what we can obverse and test with our theories and experiments. Outside of that, we tend to assume laws still work, but we don't know that for sure. For example: What happens in a black hole? What happened right after the big bang? Our theories break down, laws may or may not apply. We just don't know, since few, if any facts are known about those situations.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's it.

Said another way:

How is what you said different from what I said?
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:42:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If he was being satirical, it means he doesn't actually believe what he said, which means he doesn't believe in ridiculous arguments against evolution, which means he alienates a huge portion of his audience who actually does believe those arguments.
If he wasn't being satirical, it means that he actually believes what he said, which means he believes in ridiculous arguments against evolution, which means he looks like an idiot to the rest of the audience who doesn't believe in those arguments.

The Ditto-heads' reaction is that Rush can never be wrong, therefore what he said isn't alienating me, therefore he both meant and didn't mean what he said, which means that Rush can say anything and it is true.

View Quote
he was being satirical about something entirely different sir
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:43:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
And another sucker falls for Rush's trolling.

Y'all are just w-a-a-a-y too easy fucking retarded to be allowed to post on the internet.
View Quote

Slight fix.

Rush trolls tards alot.

In acouple days he'll play the soundbites from those that got baited, then play his full clip in context; then list the names of the retards that fell for it.

Dude does this alot.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:43:53 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's it.

Said another way:

They part in previous quotes where you said "those are all theories, sorry", as if theories aren't the best models of the apparent universe that we have.

If you want to assume apparent reality exists (as most of us do), then theories are your gold standard of "how to get shit done accurately".

Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:45:33 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
View Quote

We're part of the "great apes". We evolved and the other apes evolved. I don't know of any apes/or anything that didn't evolve. Sharks, etc. are apex predators and don't have a lot of pressure to change drastically. They still evolved though (see timeline of Hammerhead sharks, DNA, etc.)

I'm always reminded of the joke: If dogs evolved from wolves, why are there still wolves around?
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:46:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can see it in this very read. He simultaneously doesn't believe that and is trolling while he also does believe it because only libtards would not. It's like talking with Obama sycophants are maybe North Korean political leaders.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:48:14 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
We're part of the "great apes". We evolved and the other apes evolved. I don't know of any apes/or anything that didn't evolve. Sharks, etc. are apex predators and don't have a lot of pressure to change drastically. They still evolved though (see timeline of Hammerhead sharks, DNA, etc.)

I'm always reminded of the joke: If dogs evolved from wolves, why are there still wolves around?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How about: If Italian American's ancestors came from Italy, why are there still Italians?

Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:50:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Wife read that to me.

Rush out of his lane....
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:50:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow..., just, wow.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:50:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Some Republicans wonder why they are mocked.

When you lack such a basic understanding of things - yet you talk about them - you get labeled a fucking moron.
View Quote

And then...there are people who still don't understand the value of sarcasm in mocking people they disagree with.  Just wow.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:51:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
They part in previous quotes where you said "those are all theories, sorry", as if theories aren't the best models of the apparent universe that we have.

If you want to assume apparent reality exists (as most of us do), then theories are your gold standard of "how to get shit done accurately".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They may be but they are still just theories and they could be wrong.

God could have put all that stuff here. The world could only be 6000 years old.  It is possible. It may not be probable though.

In the realm of all there is, we don't know shit.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:51:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:55:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I heard that and I'd bet money he said that to troll the shit out of the lefties.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
“Don’t doubt me on this. A lot of people think that all of us used to be gorillas, and they’re looking for the missing link out there. The evolution crowd. They think we were originally apes... If we were the original apes, then how come Harambe is still an ape, and how come he didn’t become one of us?”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/rush-limbaugh-gorillas-evolution_us_574e5de6e4b0757eaeb10be0

This guy...I swear.

I searched for a dupe.

I heard that and I'd bet money he said that to troll the shit out of the lefties.

Judging from this thread it worked
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:56:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

God could have put all that stuff here. The world could only be 6000 years old.  It is possible. It may not be probable though.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you think it's possible that some people can misconstrue reality?
If one wants to know reality (as best as possible) is one process just as good as any other?
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:57:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Wow..., just, wow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow..., just, wow.

OK, tell us what we're missing. Break it down to us like we're children. If the genius went over our heads, explain it to us as those of you who are so much more enlightened were able to understand it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:58:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/1/2016 10:59:30 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like I said, what you are saying is different that what I said.

What I said is: Theories are the best models that we have (or in the case of now replaced theories, had) about anything within apparent reality.

You are saying "Well the best models that we have are just the best models that we have" as if there is something better than "the best models that we have".

This is the sticking point, you implying that a tautology is a limitation somehow. Its not.

Saying something is "just a theory" doesn't mean it can't be 100% accurate in all observable situations in apparent reality ever observed from now until the end of the universe.

Saying something "just a theory" doesn't imply "we don't know anything" about parent reality or the situations within apparent reality where that theory is and isn't applicable.

You seems to be bordering on the argument that "if we don't know everything, then we don't know anything". This argument is not practically useful, and all living beings would not be able to function in apparent reality if they lived by that assumption.

Link Posted: 6/1/2016 11:00:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

So pretending to be a fucking idiot is admirable?

How far "conservatism" has fallen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
“Don’t doubt me on this. A lot of people think that all of us used to be gorillas, and they’re looking for the missing link out there. The evolution crowd. They think we were originally apes... If we were the original apes, then how come Harambe is still an ape, and how come he didn’t become one of us?”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/rush-limbaugh-gorillas-evolution_us_574e5de6e4b0757eaeb10be0

This guy...I swear.

I searched for a dupe.

So pretending to be a fucking idiot is admirable?

How far "conservatism" has fallen.

It's been Michael Savage's (Weiner's) MO for a while now and he has a huge following.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 11:01:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

10-4 boomhower.
It was very sarcastic, that part. However he was explaining why the media and everyone was so upset over a all the things going on in the world gorilla. Another theory he had was that to most people, gorillas and animals represent innocence and many would save an animal before a human and this is how they think.

He explained this in a trolling condescending tone, because he knows that stuff gets on others nerves.

I'm not a rush "listener" but I happened to catch this particular segment today. Imho, nothing to see here. Wasn't trying to prove evolution/creationism, he was trying to splain and troll.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

10-4 boomhower.

I didn't hear this segment either but this is very much where Limbaugh has been for years now. He's trolling the left and having fun with all the bullshit that goes on; the noise about this proves this point out. Rush has become very, very snarky in the last few years as he realizes the battle of conservatism must be fought in the culture. For many years he missed that like most on the right, his show now is almost all on culture through the lens of traditonal conservatism.

Again Limbaugh is trolling and in the process creating 'buzz' for his show. It's his approach to keeping his show relevant and popular as he knows the talk medium is slowly going away.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 11:01:43 PM EDT
[#42]
I don't think Rush is a stupid man, therefore I believe that he's mocking evolutionists and they don't even know it.

Unfortunately, I don't know if Rush is an evolution-denier, so I'm not sure if Poe's Law is effect here.

But one thing is for sure... anyone that thinks the continued existence of gorillas is a refutation of evolution is a fucking moron.

Link Posted: 6/1/2016 11:03:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I don't think Rush is a stupid man, therefore I believe that he's mocking evolutionists and they don't even know it.

Unfortunately, I don't know if Rush is a evolution-denier, so I'm not sure if Poe's Law is effect here.

But one thing is for sure... anyone that thinks the continued existence of gorillas is a refutation of evolution is a fucking moron.

View Quote

A lot of his listeners do and he's pandering to the lowest common denominator.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 11:08:05 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Some Republicans wonder why they are mocked.

When you lack such a basic understanding of things - yet you talk about them - you get labeled a fucking moron.
View Quote

And very reasonably so.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 11:09:44 PM EDT
[#45]
From previous ARF polls I remember it was: ~33% that believed in Creationism, ~33% in God-guided Evolution and ~33% in Natural-selection Evolution.

It's also not far off from what surveys indicate:

Only a minority of Americans fully accept evolution through natural selection. Roughly six-in-ten U.S. adults (62%) say humans have evolved over time, according to data from Pew Research Center’s recently released Religious Landscape Study. But only a little more than half of them (33% of all Americans) express the belief that humans and other living things evolved solely due to natural processes. A quarter of U.S. adults (25%) say evolution was guided by a supreme being. The same survey found that 34% of Americans reject evolution entirely, saying humans and other living things have existed in their present form since the beginning of time.
View Quote

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/02/12/darwin-day/
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 11:11:07 PM EDT
[#46]
3 pages in and nobody has provided the context surrounding Rush's remarks?
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 11:12:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

They are too busy calling him dumb...
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 11:13:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'm willing to concede it was taken out of context, so put it in context for us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Duh, it's easy. #SilverBackLivesMatter!
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 11:14:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think he's dumb but again, it's hard to see the "obvious" satire in that statement when it's the exact argument I've seen from people on this very site.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 11:15:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

If one wants to know reality (as best as possible) is one process just as good as any other?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely, ones person's reality can be completely different from another person's reality. Depending on how something is viewed people can arrive at different conclusion.

There is no way to tell what process is better as your definition of better may differ from someone else's.  

Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top