BCM
User Panel

Page / 349
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 3:54:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By billhw1:
Since getting away from simple carbs/sugar has anyone else noticed that heartburn/indigestion is no longer a problem?
View Quote

yes. Eating right also means stuff doesn't get inflammed.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:05:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Friend of mine called me yesterday, 5 weeks on keto, he's off his acid reflux meds for the 1st time in 15 years
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:20:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Richard-ar15:
Any one else notice an improvement in their vision while on low-carb?

It's much sharper for me.
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:23:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BUCK1911] [#4]
Since getting away from simple carbs/sugar has anyone else noticed that heartburn/indigestion is no longer a problem?
View Quote

YES!!! Two Drs told me I had to have surgery to fix the problem.. Dr #3 said lets try a dietary change. God bless Dr #3
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 12:18:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:28:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By rcav8r:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Corn syrup triggered heartburn for me.  Sugar did not.  Regular Mountain Dew was not OK, Throwback was.
Now, I just want water.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 7:04:40 PM EDT
[#7]

View All Quotes

That's a good way to say it.  Just wasn't paying attention to the symptoms.

Think I can sell six bottles of Tums on the EE

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 5:21:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By BUCK1911:

Yes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BUCK1911:

Yes

i have a feeling you guys had stupid high blood sugar, sugar in the eyes that cleared up.

i don't notice any difference in vision personally
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 5:53:25 PM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes

I've noticed I can eat the hottest stuff I can find. I eat a lot of chicken wings when eating out and I always get the hottest they have, I barely break a sweat eating them. I also cheated with Pad Thai a couple times and when the guy asks 1-5 for hotness I tell him 5 as hot as you can go.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:23:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Scientists discovered a 6th taste, add carbohydrate/starch to the list.

http://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-might-have-just-found-a-sixth-taste
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 12:23:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Is whey powder available in small amounts?  I just need enough to make dressing and mayo stable.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 12:39:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By jchewie1:
Is whey powder available in small amounts?  I just need enough to make dressing and mayo stable.
View Quote

Last time I ordered from Amazon I think I bought 1lb. How small you want?
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 1:24:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By APPARITION:

View All Quotes

Looks like 1 pound is about as small as they come from Amazon.  Walmart had the big buckets.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 1:58:20 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

I get whey protein isolate from the bulk section at sprouts

As much or as little as you like and cheapet than any of the prepackaged stuff
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 5:43:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nightstalker] [#15]
PBS program, Eat Fat, Get Thin (Dr. Hyman) is a keto style diet.  He includes some good info on thyroid and gut bacteria.  Worth a look if it's on.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 8:39:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Four weeks in.  PISS in a major way.  230 pounds will be the number to break.  Been here a couple weeks.
The first 20 pounds was real easy and real quick.  I put that weight on in the last two years by switching from diet to regular soda.  
For many years I was at this weight.  Always able to pass the APFT, but still with a lot of flab.  It will be good to see it start to melt.

I went for a couple mile brisk walk tonight with the family, and am planning to start some light calisthenics.

Still targeting 1500 calories a day.  Today's total was about 1580 calories, 18 grams total carbs, 122 grams of fat, and 107 grams of protein.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:53:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Qweevox] [#17]
Originally Posted By nightstalker:
PBS program, Eat Fat, Get Thin (Dr. Hyman) is a keto style diet.  He includes some good info on thyroid and gut bacteria.  Worth a look if it's on.
View Quote

Thanks

I Googled it, and found this video.

In the above video it's going to pretty much sing to the choir here, but it's good to see more and more science confirm our experience.

"...we just know now all calories aren't the same..."

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:17:25 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

I cant keep his books on the shelf and they report back that its great but I haven't cracked it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 11:10:02 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote
Yes.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 2:14:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Qweevox:

Thanks

https://youtu.be/oa8u3YQYJzE

In the above video it's going to pretty much sing to the choir here, but it's good to see more and more science confirm our experience.

View All Quotes

Thanks

One particular thing he noted is potato starch (beginning with a 1/4 teaspoon) was beneficial to gut bacteria.  It survives your intestinal tract to feed the good bacteria.  Eventually you can take a teaspoon or two as things regulate.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 11:41:08 AM EDT
[#21]

One particular thing he noted is potato starch (beginning with a 1/4 teaspoon) was beneficial to gut bacteria.  It survives your intestinal tract to feed the good bacteria.  Eventually you can take a teaspoon or two as things regulate.
View All Quotes

Thanks

Interesting.

At this point I'm making the move to become more plant based.  My goals obviously are different than a lot of folks in this thread, I'm not diabetic, and I'm no longer overweight. ...so, for me, I'm now trying to maximise the nutritional diversity of my diet. and still remain lower than <60 g carbs a day.  

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 6:18:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Weighed in at 200.6 today. Soooo close.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 7:33:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OnlineAllTheTime] [#23]

View All Quotes

Thanks

We still eat potato salad once a week or so for the resistant starch.

ETA   And because it's yummy.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:12:11 AM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By LoneWolf545:

#2 is where I seem to be having issues, going against a lifetime of training not to eat too much fat.  Still working on finding good fat sources (about to order some MCT).  Not really a coffee drinker, but I need to replace my morning tall glass of Ovaltine (which is typically my main source of carbs for the day), so I'll be giving the bulletproof coffee a shot.

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Miles_Urbanus:

The 3 biggest mistakes I see are:

1. Not taking in enough (or any) electrolytes supplementation.

2. Eating low carb but NOT high fat and eating far too much protein.

3. Not giving yourself enough time to lose the weight. IIRC you won't lose actual fat faster then a high carb diet with equal calorie restriction. The huge advantage of a keto diet is you are never hungry and the energy boost for me has been huge. I use to sleep 8 hrs and feel groggy in the morning. Waking up was almost painful. Now I sleep 6 and I am ready to jump out of bed and conqueror the world. I have added more lifting but zero cardio.

3 month anniversary for me today. Down 26 lbs. 8.66 lbs per month average. I haven't been 100% probably cheat 2-3 meals a month.

Easy favorite keto recipe:

4 lbs Beef Short ribs (which are nice and fatty) I get the boneless ones.

McCormicks Grill Mates Cowboy Rub (Carbohydrates: 2 g per 2 teaspoon) or other favorite low carb rub.

Salt and Pepper

Preheat oven to 300 F. Rib open meat tray cellophane with your teeth. Throw beef short ribs into a baking dish. Toss ribs in 4 tsp of the rub. Liberally salt and pepper. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 3 hrs.
   #2 is where I seem to be having issues, going against a lifetime of training not to eat too much fat.  Still working on finding good fat sources (about to order some MCT).  Not really a coffee drinker, but I need to replace my morning tall glass of Ovaltine (which is typically my main source of carbs for the day), so I'll be giving the bulletproof coffee a shot.

I've tried the bulletproof coffee, but not really a coffee drinker, and without an immersion blender the butter keeps rising to the top of the mug, so I still mostly drink my ovaltine at about a quarter strength in whole milk for breakfast.  Even with that cheat, from when I started on September 19th through my appointment yesterday (so five weeks), I've lost at least 25 pounds, my doctor is very pleased.  My wife has lost about 10 pounds in the same time frame, but she's about half my weight, so it's close to proportional weight loss.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:38:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:42:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:54:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bye_Felicia] [#27]
Originally Posted By Bryan_Aim:
I bought a new jug of coconut oil and man i hate it, its got a very strong flavor and kills my stomach.  

Going to try MCT oil instead
View Quote

I tried Organic Unrefined Coconut oil. I hated it. I use refined coconut oil (which if I remeber right is an MCT), olive oil or Avocado oil
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:16:45 PM EDT
[#28]
I bought a new jug of coconut oil and man i hate it, its got a very strong flavor and kills my stomach.  

View Quote

What brand?   I'm using Carrington Farms  (MCT) without any problems.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:20:30 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

MCT oil is nearly tasteless.  I tried putting some in coffee and couldn't do it though.  Gave it a weird aftertaste.

Currently to keep ratios up I drink a tablespoon of MCT and 2 tablespoons of heavy cream together, just mixed together a bit with a fork.  That masks the taste perfectly.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:26:15 PM EDT
[#30]

Do what works for you.

There is no absolute formula that works for everyone.  Some people do extreme carb days once a week, and still manage to remain lean.  I think people who need to lose a lot of fat, need to stay focused and not mess around with "cheat days" while cutting.  But once you've gained your discipline over your diet (food doesn't rule your life), and have cut all the fat you want to cut.  A single day of eating modern isn't going to hurt you.

During holidays and vacations I don't stay ketogenic.   Christmas, Thanksgiving, family celebrations, and vacations I just don't sweat it.  Earlier in this thread I talked about going modern during vacations.   This past July I ate more or less modern while on vacation with the family.   We ate out quite a bit, and I wasn't concerned about what I ate or drank.   (...and I did an Epcot around the world with beer)   I weighed a bit more after my week of dietary debauchery, but it was mostly water weight, because I lost every bit of it within a week.  

A big part of this lifestyle for me is gaining metabolic flexibility.   Because I'm not inundating my body with refined sugars and carbs on a regular basis, I'm not insulin resistant, I can handle fats, proteins, and carbs easily.  That might not be the same for everyone in this thread.  There are guys who've developed Type 2 diabetes, or have other metabolic challenges, and might not be able to do what I do.

We all need to find our own way in this.  

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Atomic_Ferret:

Originally Posted By NCUrk:

McDonald's was just a speed bump. Been in Keto for close to 4 months now, will probably be back in by bedtime tonight, if I am not already. Just mad at having that place picked for me for a cheat.... Was tired, in a foul mood and mad a stupid decision. Such is life, can't dwell on it.

Don't sweat it, everyone goes through the same kind of emotion and guilt when they "fall off the wagon".   You nailed it, one crappy meal isn't going to do much to you.  It's when people fall, and then say "fuck it", and go back to eating crap daily.  

The bun, breading, and fries probably didn't add up to more than 100g of carbs.  Go walk 10k steps and sin no more

From what I gather it is kinda taboo amongst the Keto crowd but what is the general opinion of a monthly "cheat day" where you just eat whatever the heck you want?

Thanksgiving is coming up and I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of a turkey day with no stuffing, mashed potatoes, rolls or pie.

Do what works for you.

There is no absolute formula that works for everyone.  Some people do extreme carb days once a week, and still manage to remain lean.  I think people who need to lose a lot of fat, need to stay focused and not mess around with "cheat days" while cutting.  But once you've gained your discipline over your diet (food doesn't rule your life), and have cut all the fat you want to cut.  A single day of eating modern isn't going to hurt you.

During holidays and vacations I don't stay ketogenic.   Christmas, Thanksgiving, family celebrations, and vacations I just don't sweat it.  Earlier in this thread I talked about going modern during vacations.   This past July I ate more or less modern while on vacation with the family.   We ate out quite a bit, and I wasn't concerned about what I ate or drank.   (...and I did an Epcot around the world with beer)   I weighed a bit more after my week of dietary debauchery, but it was mostly water weight, because I lost every bit of it within a week.  

A big part of this lifestyle for me is gaining metabolic flexibility.   Because I'm not inundating my body with refined sugars and carbs on a regular basis, I'm not insulin resistant, I can handle fats, proteins, and carbs easily.  That might not be the same for everyone in this thread.  There are guys who've developed Type 2 diabetes, or have other metabolic challenges, and might not be able to do what I do.

We all need to find our own way in this.  

Technically ketosis causes a paradoxical state of insulin resistance, someone here posted a very interesting study on it once. But it's nothing to be concerned about.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:27:29 PM EDT
[#31]

I've tried the bulletproof coffee, but not really a coffee drinker, and without an immersion blender the butter keeps rising to the top of the mug, so I still mostly drink my ovaltine at about a quarter strength in whole milk for breakfast.  Even with that cheat, from when I started on September 19th through my appointment yesterday (so five weeks), I've lost at least 25 pounds, my doctor is very pleased.  My wife has lost about 10 pounds in the same time frame, but she's about half my weight, so it's close to proportional weight loss.
View All Quotes

3. Not giving yourself enough time to lose the weight. IIRC you won't lose actual fat faster then a high carb diet with equal calorie restriction. The huge advantage of a keto diet is you are never hungry and the energy boost for me has been huge. I use to sleep 8 hrs and feel groggy in the morning. Waking up was almost painful. Now I sleep 6 and I am ready to jump out of bed and conqueror the world. I have added more lifting but zero cardio.

3 month anniversary for me today. Down 26 lbs. 8.66 lbs per month average. I haven't been 100% probably cheat 2-3 meals a month.

McCormicks Grill Mates Cowboy Rub (Carbohydrates: 2 g per 2 teaspoon) or other favorite low carb rub.
Salt and Pepper

Preheat oven to 300 F. Rib open meat tray cellophane with your teeth. Throw beef short ribs into a baking dish. Toss ribs in 4 tsp of the rub. Liberally salt and pepper. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 3 hrs.

I do a bulletproof hot chocolate for dinner sometimes when I don't want to cook. You can use tea also.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:37:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By AngryHat:

MCT oil is nearly tasteless.  I tried putting some in coffee and couldn't do it though.  Gave it a weird aftertaste.

Currently to keep ratios up I drink a tablespoon of MCT and 2 tablespoons of heavy cream together, just mixed together a bit with a fork.  That masks the taste perfectly.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AngryHat:

So put heavy cream in your coffee too?  

Butter, MCT oil, stevia, collagen, heavy whipping cream, coffee, blend.  Perfection.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:18:38 PM EDT
[#33]
having a good week, dropped 3 lbs in 3 days, 92lbs down.  

View Quote

Damn son, congratulations!

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:34:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ras_Thavas] [#34]

View All Quotes

Salt and Pepper

My immersion blender is really old and the "beaker" that came with it is to small to be useful for coffee or tea, the first time I tried to make tea with it I splashed it all over the counter.  So looking around the kitchen I decided to try my hand crank egg beater.  It works like a champ, and I can even get the tea frothy by varying the depth the beater blades are in the tea mixture.

I will probably cross post this in the recipe thread, but I added a tweak to my bulletproof green tea mixture that makes it taste like Starbucks green tea latte, something I used to drink often back in the day.

My bulletproof green tea recipe is as follows:

Steep 2 green tea bags in 10 oz of boiled water for 5 minutes.

Add the following:

1 tsp MCT oil

1 tbsp Kerrygold butter

5 packets Truvia

2 oz of heavy cream

4 drops vanilla extract

Beat with egg beater until frothy and enjoy.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:42:39 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

I immediately thought of the words in "Yesterday", I'm not half the man I used to be...
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:04:52 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

How long has it taken you to drop that much?   How much more do you have to go?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:45:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 11:23:21 PM EDT
[#38]

my goal was 100lbs, so 8 more, i am 14months in
View All Quotes

How long has it taken you to drop that much?   How much more do you have to go?

my goal was 100lbs, so 8 more, i am 14months in

That's awesome, congratulations and keep it up
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:39:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Is anyone here into prepping and think keto would ideal since you're easily able too go long periods on less calories?
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:44:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By TattooedScumbag:
Is anyone here into prepping and think keto would ideal since you're easily able too go long periods on less calories?
View Quote

It was discussed many pages back. The results were that if SHTF then your diet is the least of your concerns. Doesn't hurt if you can do it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:51:45 PM EDT
[#41]

It was discussed many pages back. The results were that if SHTF then your diet is the least of your concerns. Doesn't hurt if you can do it.
View All Quotes

It's a possible benefit, but the big negative is that most of my keto foods are not shelf stable.  I eat a lot more fresh, refrigerated, and frozen food since I started doing this.  Before this I ate a lot more canned, boxed, dehydrated, and freeze-dried food.  There are some fats and a lot of protein that can be stored if canned or dehydrated, etc., but carbs make up most of the inexpensive stuff that lasts on the shelf.  At least that's what I think rambling off the top of my head.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:08:31 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

Yes ideal for me as I wont need meds can go longer between meals and I will be more alert with more energy.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 6:25:26 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

Personally, I think that keto is far from ideal for prepping/shtf purposes. Aside from a few oils, there is literally nothing in my current keto diet that is suitable for long-term and non-cooled storage.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:25:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Qweevox] [#44]
Originally Posted By jcatcg:

Personally, I think that keto is far from ideal for prepping/shtf purposes. Aside from a few oils, there is literally nothing in my current keto diet that is suitable for long-term and non-cooled storage.
View All Quotes

I don't know.  

Half the battle is not eating refined sugars and carbohydrates.   I doubt people are going to be worried about cutting, but it'd be a low carb existence.   Take away modern civilization and you automatically lose processed foods.   Eating naturally is pretty keto.  

Meat, vegetables, seasonal fruits, berries, nuts, and seeds ...fairly keto.

People starting out on this lifestyle, and those who criticize it, believe it's all about meat, dairy, eggs, and animal fat.   "....BACON!!!"

It's not.  I am keto, and my diet is now mostly plant-based.  I've cut way down on animal meat, and protein, and I feel great.  Most of my daily fat is plant-based.  

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:48:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dino] [#45]

View All Quotes

canned meats (all types)

canned greens (all types)
pickled veggies (all types)

I have about 6 months of canned goods that I eat regularly, new stuff goes to the bottom shelf and moves to top shelf as I use it.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:50:44 AM EDT
[#46]
I happened across this today, I can't remember if it's been posted but it's an interesting overview of the diet
https://authoritynutrition.com/ketogenic-diet-101/
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:33:28 AM EDT
[#47]

I don't know.  
Half the battle is not eating refined sugars and carbohydrates.   I doubt people are going to be worried about cutting, but it'd be a low carb existence.   Take away modern civilization and you automatically lose processed foods.   Eating naturally is pretty keto.  
People starting out on this lifestyle, and those who criticize it, believe it's all about meat, dairy, eggs, and animal fat.   "....BACON!!!"
It's not.  I am keto, and my diet is now mostly plant-based.  I've cut way down on animal meat, and protein, and I feel great.  Most of my daily fat is plant-based.  
View All Quotes

I don't know.  

I'm a "prepper" of sorts, and being self sustaining is part of our goals.
We keep sheep and chickens for meat and eggs, adding pigs this spring.
We also have raised bed gardens, fruit trees, grape vines, black berries and bee hives.
In addition, I have been experimenting with SHTF friendly indoor hydroponics... specifically Kratky method with LED lighting.
Kratky excels at greens production, and is a static solution approach (no pumps, plumbing, moving water, etc) - KISS.
I run a 2x6' growing shelf of high density planting on ~100 watts of LED lighting for 18/hrs a day - and can probably tweak the wattage lower.
This is significant because the setup can reasonably be sustained with a simple solar setup if need be.
Being indoor eliminates weather and pest variables, keeping yields high.
Inputs are cheap (seed, fertilizer, water) - all of which can be stocked deep and costs are trivial.
I can grow a hydroponic head of lettuce for < .10cents equivalent to what sells at the grocery for $3-$4 dollars a head.
I favor asian style greens - varieties like Tatsoi, Red Komatsuna, Koji and Red Giant Mustard as well as domestic spinach varieties - which are more nutrient dense that common leaf lettuce varieties.
A single shelf in our store room grows enough greens to keep our family of four well supplied with a variety of healthy and nutritious greens.
I've also done tomatoes and cucumbers with a variant of the setup with decent success and will be working on improving that system this winter.
Anyway, I offer the above as an example that healthy food (and Keto supportive) "prepping" is feasible with a little creativity.
I did a short thread on my initial attempts with this method in the gardening forum - it didn't get much attention and I let it die, but more pictures and details are there.

As an aside, as of this morning I weighed in at exactly 166.  1 pound shy of my original goal of 165.  I have some softness to shed still in spots, but am making the pivot now to putting on more muscle while leaning out a bit more.  I'll be less weight focused from here out and more about overall composition.  THANK YOU ALL so much for this thread.  The positive changes that can be made in just a few months on Keto is mind blowing.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_19/685152_Indoor_Greens__and_reds_____Kratky_method___LEDs.html

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:43:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Stoney0102:

I really appreciate the info. My wife is worried about having to make some involved 2nd meal for me. However I  can eat anything and would be fine with a meat fat veggie gruel. Hardest part for me would be giving up ice cream (and the occasional scotch).
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Stoney0102:
Originally Posted By raven:
I tried it last month, went from 199 to 183 in a month.  Would have lost more fat if I hadn't drank carb-free tequila I substituted for beer.  It's carb free, but the calories in alcohol are the first thing the body burns for fuel, even ahead of sugar.  But, I at least would stay in ketosis and go back to burning fat after the alcohol was metabolized.

I've tried it before a couple years ago, but things went better this time because I didn't get the "keto flu" (foggy, hangover-like feeling in your head when your body transitions from using glucose from carbs to ketones from fat).

I didn't get it because I supplemented with potassium citrate, ate more salt by adding it to warm water, and took calcium magnesium supplements.  Ketosis drains you of electrolytes which causes the weird flu-like symptoms.  It makes all the difference in the world.  I quit my first attempt at keto because I was sicky of the foggy head.

Making a lot of meals ahead of time and boxing it up helped a lot.  I'd make 5 2-egg omelets and bake a bunch of bacon on Sunday evenings.  That would be my mid-meal, along with avocados, I'd eat 4 hours between breakfast and lunch.

Make sure the main macronutrient you eat is fat, something like 70% of your calories.  This is probably the hardest thing to do, because it's so weird and you've probably avoided eating so much fat because it's been drilled into your head all your life that fat is bad for you.  

So what I did for fat was lots of avocados, lots of eggs, lots of Kerry Gold grassfed butter, and I made smoothies for my breakfast and lunch that contained 1-2 tablespoons of high quality medium chain triglycerides from coconut oil.  Mixed it with a tablespoon of sunflower lecithin to emulsify it and it is good for the brain and liver.  Regular soy lecithin is sticky granules and it doesn't blend very well.  Sunflower lecithin is a fine powder and works great.  This was an easy way to accurately measure and control how much fat & protein I ate (I also used whey protein in the smoothies).

Don't eat too much protein.  Don't eat like you're a body builder where they eat 1-2 grams protein per lb of lean body mass.  If you eat that much protein, the liver converts some of it to glucose, which is not what you want, because the body will stop converting your fat into ketones for your body and brain to burn.

What else?  I intermittently fasted, which means I had 3 meals in an 8 hour window after waking up, and then didn't eat for the rest of the day (16 hours, including sleep).  No snacks.
I usually wasn't hungry when I ate my midpoint meal of an omelet, bacon and avocado, but I ate anyway.  If I ever started getting hungry in the evening, I'd add more fat to my lunch smoothie the next day.  Eating broccoli seemed to help fill me up too.

I broke the diet because I really wanted a pizza.  I was surprised after eating half of a small one, I was still in ketosis the next day.  You can use a breathalyzer to check for the presence of acetone in your breath, which means there are a lot of ketones in your blood at the moment.  The pee strips are basically useless.  You can also just smell when you're in ketosis; your BO smells different in a way you've never smelled it.  You'll see.

I really appreciate the info. My wife is worried about having to make some involved 2nd meal for me. However I  can eat anything and would be fine with a meat fat veggie gruel. Hardest part for me would be giving up ice cream (and the occasional scotch).

See if you can find Halo Top ice cream.  The vanilla bean flavor is excellent, and a close approximation of regular ice cream.  It's low cal and low carb.  I add some Smuckers sugar-free hot fudge, and whipped cream sweetened with stevia, and it's great.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:47:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By kallnojoy:

We also have raised bed gardens, fruit trees, grape vines, black berries and bee hives.

In addition, I have been experimenting with SHTF friendly indoor hydroponics... specifically Kratky method with LED lighting.

Kratky excels at greens production, and is a static solution approach (no pumps, plumbing, moving water, etc) - KISS.

I run a 2x6' growing shelf of high density planting on ~100 watts of LED lighting for 18/hrs a day - and can probably tweak the wattage lower.

This is significant because the setup can reasonably be sustained with a simple solar setup if need be.

Inputs are cheap (seed, fertilizer, water) - all of which can be stocked deep and costs are trivial.

I can grow a hydroponic head of lettuce for < .10cents equivalent to what sells at the grocery for $3-$4 dollars a head.

I favor asian style greens - varieties like Tatsoi, Red Komatsuna, Koji and Red Giant Mustard as well as domestic spinach varieties - which are more nutrient dense that common leaf lettuce varieties.

A single shelf in our store room grows enough greens to keep our family of four well supplied with a variety of healthy and nutritious greens.

I've also done tomatoes and cucumbers with a variant of the setup with decent success and will be working on improving that system this winter.

Anyway, I offer the above as an example that healthy food (and Keto supportive) "prepping" is feasible with a little creativity.

I did a short thread on my initial attempts with this method in the gardening forum - it didn't get much attention and I let it die, but more pictures and details are there.

As an aside, as of this morning I weighed in at exactly 166.  1 pound shy of my original goal of 165.  I have some softness to shed still in spots, but am making the pivot now to putting on more muscle while leaning out a bit more.  I'll be less weight focused from here out and more about overall composition.  THANK YOU ALL so much for this thread.  The positive changes that can be made in just a few months on Keto is mind blowing.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_19/685152_Indoor_Greens__and_reds_____Kratky_method___LEDs.html

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc101/kallnojoy/P1030668_zps0guz4u2p.jpg

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kallnojoy:

I don't know.  

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc101/kallnojoy/P1030668_zps0guz4u2p.jpg

If nutrition is what you seek, you might look into different microgreens.  Broccoli sprouts are awesome!  The nutritional levels in them is higher than mature broccoli, they can be grown from seeds in days, and don't require elaborate equipment to grow.  

Watercress is another one, as are sunflower sprouts.  All of them are packed with micronutrients, are easy and fast to grow.  They don't even require power, or elaborate lighting.  I guess if someone wanted to "prep" all they'd have to do is stock up on seeds.  

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:18:59 AM EDT
[#50]
SHTF or sustenance? (sp)

If you have a SHTF situation, you are either holing up or bugging out, and you'll WANT those carb (and calorie) packed foods. You'll be competing with potentially thousands, if not millions, of other people for resources, depending where you live.

If on the other hand, if you are rural, far away from the cities, and can protect your resources and get along with your distant neighbors, you might have a better chance of doing sustenance farming. You'll probably start depending more on grain crops too.

IOW, whether you are keto or not, will be moot. You are in survival mode.
Page / 349
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top