BCM
User Panel

Page / 349
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:02:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bamaflinger:
Do you guys see any correlation between coffee/water intake and weight loss?  Weight loss has stalled this month for me, the only thing I can think of that is different is I'm drinking a pot of coffee a day with a little coconut oil in it, up from having one cup in the morning.  My water consumption has naturally gone down.  

Maybe it's calories or something.
View Quote

Caffeine has been shown to spike insulin.  Insulin will prevent fat burning.  This normally only comes in to play toward the end, when you're trying to get the last 10 pounds.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:17:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Geohans:
I was gonna say most women would split the difference between 15 and 12 from those photos. . . . . .  there must be a study somewhere.

There's this whole thing where a guy's great body is a threat to a woman with less perfect figure. . . .
View Quote

Since you brought it up, I did an unscientific study on Facebook, asking ladies to pick their preference. All but one picked a range of 10-15%, rather than a single picture.  What I didn't tell them was 20% is average, 15% is considered fit, and 12% and below is athletes.

The lone exception that picked 20% was an older woman (60+), who herself is not fit.  I found this interesting and suspect she chose what looked good within her age group.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:27:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been looking for keto-friendly options for fast food and thought I'd share. For a Jimmy John's Gargantuan unwich (lettuce wrap), with no tomatoes or onions:

Calories:  724
Total Fat:  52.8 g
Saturated Fat:  14.8 g
Cholesterol:  179 mg
Sodium:  2754 mg
Total Carbs:  5.1 g
Fiber:  0 g
Protein:  57.4 g
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 4:34:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SparticleBrane] [#4]
Originally Posted By HappyCamel:

5'11" 135-140 30" with no gun 32” with gun

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/401569/IMG-20160607-171845-142877.JPG
View Quote

How old are you?

I'm 31 and a fat fuck at 225.  Really need to get on this keto thing.

5'-8.5" tall, when I graduated high school I was 163lbs and thought that was skinny.  You're at least 2" taller than me and weigh 20lbs less than I did back then.  If you told me those numbers without an accompanying photo I'd say you're skin and bones, but the photo shows otherwise.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 4:44:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I just wanna be in on 87
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 4:49:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By SparticleBrane:

How old are you?

5'-8.5" tall, when I graduated high school I was 163lbs and thought that was skinny.  You're at least 2" taller than me and weigh 20lbs less than I did back then.  If you told me those numbers without an accompanying photo I'd say you're skin and bones, but the photo shows otherwise.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SparticleBrane:

5'11" 135-140 30" with no gun 32” with gun

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/401569/IMG-20160607-171845-142877.JPG

How old are you?

I'm only a few years younger than you. Even "skinny" or muscular people tend to vastly underestimate how much they can stand to lose. Good example is fighters fighting at the bottom of their weight class and their stats. Check out what they weigh for their height and musculature.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 8:13:46 PM EDT
[#7]

I'm only a few years younger than you. Even "skinny" or muscular people tend to vastly underestimate how much they can stand to lose. Good example is fighters fighting at the bottom of their weight class and their stats. Check out what they weigh for their height and musculature.
View Quote

In on 87

I agree with this, many people don't realize how much extra unnecessary weight they carry around every day.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 8:23:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Geohans] [#8]
Originally Posted By von_landstuhl:
I've been looking for keto-friendly options for fast food and thought I'd share. For a Jimmy John's Gargantuan unwich (lettuce wrap), with no tomatoes or onions:

Calories:  724
Total Fat:  52.8 g
Saturated Fat:  14.8 g
Cholesterol:  179 mg
Sodium:  2754 mg
Total Carbs:  5.1 g
Fiber:  0 g
Protein:  57.4 g
View Quote

Not bad but. . . . . . high salt and almost a day's worth of protein.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I have done keto before.
What I want to know though is can I go in it briefly to cut some fat while still maintaining my lifts?
I know there is adjustment time etc. I want to keep calorie intake the same.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 8:46:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Caffeine has been shown to spike insulin.  Insulin will prevent fat burning.  This normally only comes in to play toward the end, when you're trying to get the last 10 pounds.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bamaflinger:
Do you guys see any correlation between coffee/water intake and weight loss?  Weight loss has stalled this month for me, the only thing I can think of that is different is I'm drinking a pot of coffee a day with a little coconut oil in it, up from having one cup in the morning.  My water consumption has naturally gone down.  

Maybe it's calories or something.

I seemed to have stalled as well and I am only on week five.  I have been drinking a cup of coffee in the morning but water all day and only water so I don't know what is going on.  Getting a little frustrated but perhaps I am being to anxious about it.  I am at 174 and really want to get down to 160-165 so I don't know if it is just harder for someone who doesn't have a ton to lose or as mentioned that last 10 pounds.  

I am 5'7, 42 yrs old with about 22% bf so I know there is plenty to get rid of.  Trying to get down to 15-18% bf.  I work out 4-5 days every week and have been for about 2 years.  I have a gym at work and a personal trainer that I have been working with for the last 8 months which has been a big help.  Did Paleo for the last 2 years and just recently switch to Keto.  I know my carbs are ~20g but don't think I am getting enough fat.  I find it is hard to eat enough when 1, I am not that hungry and 2, well its just hard to eat a lot.  I am probably only getting 1500 calories and can't say what I burn from hour long workouts consisting mostly of weight training but mixed with cardio and agility training.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 1:25:47 AM EDT
[#11]

How are you measuring-- fully expanded or with some muscle tension?

I'm 6'2" and my ideal weight is 180-- I'm around 190 now due to months of divorce negotiations, which are finally over.
View Quote

I try to measure semi-relaxed after inhaling fully. I'm trying to get realistic numbers, so not locking up my abs, or purposefully sticking my gut out like a pregnant woman.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:25:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Not losing but I have been lifting heavy. Clothes are getting loose but still wish the weight was coming down some.

Thinking of getting a blood meter to measure ketosis might put my mind at ease.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:33:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By dog-meat:
I know there are some diabetics here so hopefully someone has ideas on this question:

I bought a glucose meter from walmart because I've been curious about testing the blood sugar reaction of various keto fake foods. Like mug cakes, quest bars, stevia, xylitol, etc. I read a thread on reddit where a guy showed big blood sugar swings on quest bars but I can eat a couple of them per day and not have any problems staying in ketosis (According to piss strips).

I'm in deep purple ketosis according to keto strips. Had not eaten since 11 this morning (about 7 hours ago). Lunch was dried ground beef (only seasoning before drying was = salt, pepper, liquid smoke, very little garlic powder, and prague powder #1).  

Took the test with the walmart relion meter and it showed 111. Tried again after washing hands again with soap and water and on a different finger. Maybe 3 minutes later. 105

I'm not diabetic and haven't eaten anything but ground beef, steak, eggs, heavy cream, and salads with mixed greens + olive oil & lemon juice dressing in like four days.

My fasting tests at my docs for the annual checkups are usually around 85.

I have a friend who lives less than a mile away who is diabetic who does regular finger sticks. So I called up and went over there to try his meter. Same drop of blood two different meters. Friend's meter = 75, new walmart meter = 109.

Am I doing something wrong that it could be off that much? I can't imagine the 100+ reading being correct.
View Quote

Are you sure the meter is properly coded to the strips?

My meter came with a standard solution. The whole thing has sat in my jump kit for 3 years so everything was expired. I got new strips and found that they differed from the expired strips by 20 points, and the standard solution was nowhere close to its calibration.  When I first got the meter, it tested within calibration tolerance.

If you can find a standard solution, that's a good way to check the meter. My strips have the expected reading printed on their container.

Here's an example. It looks like the solution is specifically matched to a certain test strip.  https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/onetouch-ultra-control-solution-vials/ID=prod2330419-product?ext=gooPLA_-_Home_Medical&pla&adtype=pla&kpid=sku2329897&sst=27d09727-722d-450f-b2c0-783fc5c13784
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:38:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Solace22:
I have done keto before.
What I want to know though is can I go in it briefly to cut some fat while still maintaining my lifts?
I know there is adjustment time etc. I want to keep calorie intake the same.
View Quote

You should be able to go keto and keep your lifts at about the same levels or even increase.

You may see a small decrease or plateau especially early on but any other way you cut os likely to result in more lost muscle mass and decreased lifts
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:04:46 AM EDT
[#15]

Mopar, you are a KETO HERO!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MoparMike:

Got any ideas of how to do this in a skillet? I'm in a semi truck with no oven.

I have a hotplate, Aroma rice cooker/slow cooker, and a microwave. With the two refrigerators and the shoebox totes of food, its a rolling kitchen.

Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:07:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Dan_Gray:
his ego is already too big
View All Quotes

his ego is already too big

Coming from you that's quite a statement.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:28:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cincinnatus] [#17]
Frittata...

Chorizo, garlic, fresh jalapeño, avocado, six eggs, 1/8 cup of sour cream, 1/8 cup heavy cream, jack cheese, chipotle powder, salt &a pepper.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Pan fry the stuff.  Put in the eggs.  Take off heat, and put on avocado and cheese.

Put in center rack of oven at 350 for 15 minutes.  Then turn on broiler for 2 minutes.

Eat.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:28:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Cincinnatus:
Frittata...

Chorizo, garlic, fresh jalapeño, avocado, six eggs, 1/8 cup of sour cream, 1/8 cup heavy cream, jack cheese, chipotle powder, salt &a pepper.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/285/IMG-1485-145195.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/285/IMG-1486-145196.JPG

Pan fry the stuff.  Put in the eggs.  Take off heat, and put on avocado and cheese.

Put in center rack of oven at 350 for 15 minutes.  Then turn on broiler for 2 minutes.

Eat.
View Quote
Looks very good.  I still can't get an avocado that tastes like a darn thing.  I've tried four different kinds from different stores.  They all taste like gross textured nothingness.  I prefer my extra fat come from macadamias.  A little expensive but tastes way better.  So, you're whipping up the eggs and pouring them over the other stuff in the pan?  You let them cook most of the way, or right into the oven?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:44:54 PM EDT
[#19]
If I'm in a hurry, I'll cook most of the way in the pan, then finish under the broiler.

Otherwise, I cook a quarter on the way in the pan, then 15-20 in the oven at 350.  Oven makes for more fluffy.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 3:10:47 PM EDT
[#20]

I was gonna say most women would split the difference between 15 and 12 from those photos. . . . . .  there must be a study somewhere.

There's this whole thing where a guy's great body is a threat to a woman with less perfect figure. . . .
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By von_landstuhl:

Just showed this to the wife and asked which I should use as a goal.  She chose 15%.  

I think there is something too that as well, even though they won't admit it.  Every woman that I've been in a relationship has been ok with me gaining weight and I've never been under 12%.

That latest BS that the liberals are pushing now is the "dad body" is what all women are most attracted to.  The dad body looks like the 30% picture.  I see it as nothing more than the liberals want a completely feminized and weak man.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:07:05 PM EDT
[#21]

It's the culture of mediocrity.  Being too good at anything is seen as somehow taking away from those who won't put in the time and effort to be anything more than almost adequate.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#22]
best smoothie blender, or blender period?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 5:29:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By luckypunk:
best smoothie blender, or blender period?
View Quote

blendtec
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By APPARITION:

In on 87

I agree with this, many people don't realize how much extra unnecessary weight they carry around every day.
View All Quotes

In on 87

I think this is where body composition testing shines. I know that at 24.5% I had 57 pounds of fat in my body at 233 lbs. You can't get rid of all fat, but I knew that if I lose 20lbs of fat I will 17% body fat and if I lose 30lbs of fat I would be at 13% which would be pretty sporty.

Knowing how much muscle/lean mass you have can help you with realistic goals. It can also protect you from going too low. BMI chart says I need to be at 189, that would put me at 6% body fat which is bodybuilder tight and I would think largely unsustainable.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 7:16:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RogerBall] [#25]
Originally Posted By kar98k:

It's the culture of mediocrity.  Being too good at anything is seen as somehow taking away from those who won't put in the time and effort to be anything more than almost adequate.
View Quote

What a strange observation.
That's how i live my life.  I try to be the best i can.  Certainly, i fail some times, but my goals are high.
Other people see that level and better themselves by my example.  
I made a thread long ago about "Noblesse Oblige".  It didn't go over well.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 7:47:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Been following this thread for a bit and decided to give it a shot, started a week ago. Most of my eating is done at home, but my job keeps me very mobile and does not always give me an option to bring food from home. We do have a refrigerator at our Ops Center, but I have many shifts I see the office for the first hour then not again until it is time to go home at the end of a 12hr shift. I know there are some options that I can just bring with me in the truck, but was looking for some suggestions on casual dining or fast food that would work with the Keto Diet.

Looking over some different places menus and nutritional info I see lots of high fat options, but is it a bad fat? or does it even make a difference? Playing around with different foods in MFP I see where I can get the percentage breakdown I need, but am curious if these will be an OK option for those days that I am on the run.

Thanks in advance, looking forward to dropping some weight and getting headed back in the right direction with my health.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:14:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By onesureshot:
Been following this thread for a bit and decided to give it a shot, started a week ago. Most of my eating is done at home, but my job keeps me very mobile and does not always give me an option to bring food from home. We do have a refrigerator at our Ops Center, but I have many shifts I see the office for the first hour then not again until it is time to go home at the end of a 12hr shift. I know there are some options that I can just bring with me in the truck, but was looking for some suggestions on casual dining or fast food that would work with the Keto Diet.

Looking over some different places menus and nutritional info I see lots of high fat options, but is it a bad fat? or does it even make a difference? Playing around with different foods in MFP I see where I can get the percentage breakdown I need, but am curious if these will be an OK option for those days that I am on the run.

Thanks in advance, looking forward to dropping some weight and getting headed back in the right direction with my health.
View Quote
With casual dining, your best bet would probably be some place that does 24hr breakfast. Bacon, sausage, eggs, etc. 
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:32:05 AM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

Burgers, no bun. Drink water or unsweetened tea.
Omelettes, bacon.
Salads
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:43:05 AM EDT
[#29]
So, 5 weeks into 2017.  Down 22.8.  Still 38.7 to go this year.  A large chunk of that, 9 lbs, was this past week.  My wife had surgery on Monday so I stayed home with her.  I don't eat a whole lot when I'm just sitting at home.  I'm back to work and things should get back to basics this week.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:44:34 AM EDT
[#30]

Omelettes, bacon.
Salads
View All Quotes

Omelettes, bacon.
Salads

Salad (no croutons and dressing on the side), veg and a steak.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:06:16 PM EDT
[#31]

No chef here. But steak and eggs this morning. I like mine over medium. These look to burnt? How's everyone fry their eggs on what heat and how long for over medium?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Eggs needs some spice.

here you go.

Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:35:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rebelcovehunter] [#33]
This thread has been a great help, my girlfriend and I are starting our first day on Keto today. We both have a good amount to lose.

I do have a question, in the bullet proof coffee, which would be better MCT oil or straight organic coconut oil from Trader Joes?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:42:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Just a note, after seeing me and my GFs figure and how we eat, both my buddy and my mom have started keto.

Buddy is down 15, mom is about a week and a half in and down 8. Both no exercise or calorie counting.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:15:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Vengeance6661:
http://i.imgur.com/tjbzimnl.jpg

No chef here. But steak and eggs this morning. I like mine over medium. These look to burnt? How's everyone fry their eggs on what heat and how long for over medium?
View Quote

No offence, but I'll throw a egg away that has brown edges.  Just a personal preference.  I like them over light with the white fully cooked and the yolk still wet.  A little less than you prefer.  

Try lowering the heat so the eggs don't dance in the pan and sear.  When cooking the first side take a spatula and gentle pull the white away from the yolk a few times so it cooks evenly.  After that, just flip and cook to medium.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By MoparMike:

Coming from you that's quite a statement.
View Quote
Ayn Rand had me in mind.  . .
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:34:09 PM EDT
[#37]

blendtec
View Quote
Will it blend?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:42:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Starting weight:  206.8
Week 1:  200.8
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:48:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Will it blend?
View All Quotes

blendtec
Will it blend?

Blendtec is the answer and yes

Will It Blend? 10th Anniversary Top 10 Countdown
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 7:09:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Qweevox:

http://cdn.builtlean.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/body-fat-percentage-men.jpg

Getting below 10% body fat is crazy hard, below that your brain can start eating muscle real fast, unless your nutrition is very well balanced.  The human body doesn't want to exist there.  Going below 15% can be somewhat of a difficult balancing act.  We weren't meant to be "ripped", or at least not that ripped.
View Quote

Getting below 10 also looks fucking gross. I stay around 18 now but was 13 for most of my younger years.  I don't care to get that low again, but 15 would be a nice place to stay, but it really takes work now that I am older.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 7:12:01 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

There is, most women don't like the super ripped look, nor the body builder thing. They want a nice balance.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:04:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Ugh. I've got a cold and a sore throat, so I spent the day napping, watching movies, and drinking beef broth. I'd normally drink hot cocoa, but that has a bunch of sugar.

Possibly retaining water, too. Ugh.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:06:31 AM EDT
[#43]
I had a planned cheat day over the weekend (Friday night/Saturday morning). I have absolutely zero desire to do that again.

I had Italian for dinner at a resort, and couldn't even make it back to my room before it made its way through. Fuck that.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:18:33 AM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

Carls Jr/Hardees online menu lets you calculate nutrition by removing ingredients on any of their sandwiches.  And they will lettuce wrap anything.  Takes many burgers from 62 carbs down to 5, just getting rid of the bun.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:19:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Bushylover:
With casual dining, your best bet would probably be some place that does 24hr breakfast. Bacon, sausage, eggs, etc. 
View Quote

Always ask for plain eggs; some places like Ihop add pancake batter to scrambled eggs.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:01:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By woozle:

Always ask for plain eggs; some places like Ihop add pancake batter to scrambled eggs.
View Quote

Bastards!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:30:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By rebelcovehunter:
This thread has been a great help, my girlfriend and I are starting our first day on Keto today. We both have a good amount to lose.

I do have a question, in the bullet proof coffee, which would be better MCT oil or straight organic coconut oil from Trader Joes?
View Quote

MCT or both if it is a GOOD coconut oil.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:10:15 AM EDT
[#48]
blendtec
View Quote

I have a blendtech and I love it. It will quickly spoil you.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Any carb free/sugar free chewing gum?

I'm trying to quite chewing tabbacco and need to find something.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Anyone experiencing a keto weight loss stall or know why it happens?  I wouldn't call it a plateau as I haven't lost enough weight or been losing for long enough for my metabolism to adjust.  In the first 10 days I lost about 8 pounds, then a pound the next 4 days.  However, keeping the same calorie restricted, intermittent fasting, keto diet the next 5 days I stayed about the same but was was actually increasing 0.1 pound per day.  The 6th day I woke up and weight 4 pounds less.  No diet change, no water intake change, no massive dump...nothing.  I'm not 4 weeks or so in and just had the same thing happen.  I dropped to 227, then went 227.2, 227.5, 227.8, 228.2 but this morning 225.8.  All while keeping the same calorie restricted, intermittent fasting, keto diet.  I eat roasted almonds that I cover in extra salt to keep my salt intake up and caffeine pills during the day.  I'm mainly just curious as to what causes the body to hold onto the weight and how it is holding it.  
Page / 349
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top