BCM
User Panel

Page / 349
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:45:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigbryce31186] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Subnet:
Learn how to cook (make it your hobby and something you're very proud of), and definitely learn to expand your palette. Be adventerous. I cook for a family of 4 every weeknight (from scratch), and I average 45 minutes from pulling the ingredients out, to putting the plates on the table. This does require planning (admittedly), but it's not much. The more you cook and the more you expand your horizons, the easier and faster it gets. 

Everybody - and I don't care how busy you are - has 45 minutes to an hour to devote to something as central to human existence as preparing food. 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/51536/IMG-1373-235406.jpg

Wednesday night dinner (just an example): Roasted chicken breast and cauliflower, with a green romesco, a little scallion, parsley and green olives. Less than an hour, 100% from scratch.

I will admit to not raising the chicken or growing the vegetables. 
View Quote
I can cook. 1 thing I can actually pride myself on. I'll have to tweak recipes and meals slightly.

What about using deer meat instead of beef? Deer is a lot leaner than beef. Would I just need to add extra fat to compensate? Say fry some deer burgers in bacon grease instead of olive oil?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:53:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Obo2:

i fucking hate salads. they are such a pain in the ass to eat. Some greens on the side of my steak is a different matter i'm fine with that I tend to use them as edible napkins.

but a salad with a bunch of stuff in it all cut up is such a bitch to eat you have to stab the fuck out of it and or try to pile it all on your fork and it falls off etc.

wrap the same stuff up and i'm good to go.
View Quote
  That's how I am with soup. It's flavored water that may or may not have shit in it. Sometimes a spoon will work, sometimes you have to use a fork. I'm not taking 20 minutes to spoon water into my mouth when I can just guzzle it out if the bowl. But that's not appropriate in public. Fuck soup!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:28:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By bigbryce31186:

I can cook. 1 thing I can actually pride myself on. I'll have to tweak recipes and meals slightly.

What about using deer meat instead of beef? Deer is a lot leaner than beef. Would I just need to add extra fat to compensate? Say fry some deer burgers in bacon grease instead of olive Lol?
View Quote
Deer is fine, and do what you want about adding fat, but if you're trying to cut, your goal is to burn the fat on your body, not your plate.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:15:22 PM EDT
[#4]
What about using deer meat instead of beef? Deer is a lot leaner than beef. Would I just need to add extra fat to compensate? Say fry some deer burgers in bacon grease instead of olive oil?
View Quote
I don't bother to actually track macronutrients on a regular basis, and I definitely don't set any goal targets. I avoid certain classes of foods, I severely limit others, and everything else - it's all about taste. Also note: I'm not a strict Keto adherent. Let's call it Keto adjacent. 

If I felt like my venison needed some fat to achieve a certain culinary result, I'd use it. If I felt it tasted fantastic as-is, I wouldn't. While I don't bother to count calories, I also don't needlessly add them when it doesn't serve the dish. 

Olive oil is great, but it's lousy for frying (smoke point is too low, and the taste goes way off with high heat - it's moderately unstable and oxidizes too easily). Bacon drippings would be better. Butter, coconut oil, beef tallow/suet, bacon drippings/pork lard - those would be my preferred fats for high heat cooking. This isn't a Keto thing, but I generally avoid seed and vegetable oils (corn, soybean, safflower, sesame...stuff like that) as a rule. 

I think the proper Keto-approved answer would be to add fat to your diet that day until your macronutrient (fat/protein/carb) ratio is where you want it to be. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:16:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Qweevox:
Deer is fine, and do what you want about adding fat, but if you're trying to cut, your goal is to burn the fat on your body, not your plate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

What about using deer meat instead of beef? Deer is a lot leaner than beef. Would I just need to add extra fat to compensate? Say fry some deer burgers in bacon grease instead of olive Lol?
I get beef fat from my grocery store, it's mostly lots of steak trim which is fucking delicious. Grind at home maybe as much as 40% beef fat rest lean elk. I'll frequently then cook it in a cast iron pan with bacon grease or butter, cheese on top Have a little low carb dressing on your greens, the bacon you used to make bacon grease and you have a pretty high fat ratio.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:22:42 PM EDT
[#6]

That's how I am with soup. It's flavored water that may or may not have shit in it. Sometimes a spoon will work, sometimes you have to use a fork. I'm not taking 20 minutes to spoon water into my mouth when I can just guzzle it out if the bowl. But that's not appropriate in public. Fuck soup!
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:34:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Since fat has twice as many calories as protein per gram, and you want about twice as many calories from fat as protein, you need to eat roughly the same amount IN WEIGHT of  fat and protein.

If this is wrong, please chime in.  For newbies, it's very easy to get too much protein when getting started.  And it's hard to really get enough fat.

Of course, as Cincinnatus said, we want to burn body fat, not the fat on our plate.  However, consuming enough dietary fat keeps things moving in the right direction.

Cutting down dietary fat before being well adapted never seems to work well.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By dupemaster:
Guys.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/24268/IMG-9751-237210.jpg

This is YYYUUUUGGE !

50LBs in 100 days!
View Quote
Damn. That's awesome

Use the money you'll save not buying meds to get some toenail clippers!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:43:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dupemaster] [#9]
Originally Posted By sneadhearn:
Damn. That's awesome

View All Quotes
Guys.

This is YYYUUUUGGE !

50LBs in 100 days!
Damn. That's awesome

I was not on any meds...

I have many pairs of clippers (fancy ones)! That's why my toenails are clipped and clean.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:57:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I was not on any meds...

I have many pairs of clippers (fancy ones)! That's why my toenails are clipped and clean.
View All Quotes
Guys.

This is YYYUUUUGGE !

50LBs in 100 days!
Damn. That's awesome

I was not on any meds...

As a fellow fat guy - you would have been, and soon.

(I'm 268 today, started trying to lose at 318 last Christmas, and started keto on Jan 9 at 308.)
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:13:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By RockMech:
Down 11 lbs since 6/05/2017 (started Keto a couple of days prior to initial weigh-in, so I may have lost a pound or two more).  Bacon saves!

Admittedly, I fell off the wagon for one weekend (first Friday and Saturday after starting), but got back on said wagon on that Sunday.  The continued decline on the scales every other day (I weigh M/W/F) is a great push to keep going.

Biggest agony is all those cherry cokes I can't drink.  I was way addicted.
View Quote
Try these.
Amazon Product
  • Bursting With Real Fruit Flavor
  • Just The Right Amount of Fizz
  • Without all the calories

They taste like store brand black cherry soda.  No sugar, no carbs, no calories.  Also the lemon lime ones taste similar to Mountain Dew.  They do have sucralose, and that stuff weirds me out so I only have one once in a while.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:49:58 PM EDT
[#12]

I was not on any meds...

View Quote
I was going to say he actually trimmed them
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:03:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By wingmanchris:

Try these.
www.amazon.com/dp/B01FS2GH2OThey taste like store brand black cherry soda.  No sugar, no carbs, no calories.  Also the lemon lime ones taste similar to Mountain Dew.  They do have sucralose, and that stuff weirds me out so I only have one once in a while.
View Quote
I tried these, and they're good.  However, either these or the Great Value Wild Strawberry energy packets were throwing me out of ketosos per the Keto strips. I stopped using both and now back in Keto. Not sure if its the artificial sweetener or what....

Both products contain aspartame as a sweetener...
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:23:57 PM EDT
[#14]
It does take longer if you're not super heavy. I'm 5'10" and a buck-eighty-three this morning. I've been there since June 3rd.  was 202 when I started this in early April. 

My body is VERY jealously holding onto the weight. Over the last 20 days, it's been as low as 182, and it's been as high as 186. It ain't wanting to budge. The first 20lbs were easy. 

Note: While I'm following my own diet very strictly, it's not hard core Keto (it's probably closer to Paleo if you really wanted to analyze the shit out of it - but even then, not really). It's not uncommon for me to eat 70-100g of carbs in a day, all of it from vegetables. Most days, I only eat dinner. I'll eat lunch maybe twice a week, if/when I'm hungry. I don't snack during the day at all. I haven't ate breakfast since I started in April (I rarely ever did anyway). 

It just takes patience. It'll drop when it drops. If you know your diet is solid, you just have to wait it out. 
View Quote
I started at 187 - it took 6 mo. to get to 160.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:02:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By sywagon:
View Quote
As a once "big guy", I agree, the last 20 or so pounds took much longer to lose than the first 60 pounds.  It gets slower as you go.  At least it did for me.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:14:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Going in for my  annual checkup next month. Between last time and this I started carb cutting and have stuck under 30g/day without cheating for around 9 months. My biggest sources of calories are heavy cream, nuts, cheese, capocollo, and red meat. Should be interesting to see the blood work.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:54:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Qweevox] [#17]
Originally Posted By dog-meat:
Going in for my  annual checkup next month. Between last time and this I started carb cutting and have stuck under 30g/day without cheating for around 9 months. My biggest sources of calories are heavy cream, nuts, cheese, capocollo, and red meat. Should be interesting to see the blood work.
View Quote
Wow, has it been 9 months already?  It seems like yesterday that you started.  How much weight have you lost?  What was your starting BMI, and where are you currently?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:22:39 AM EDT
[#18]
To break a plateau, I did two back to back sub-500 calorie days skipping dinner and Keto friendly snacks. Dropped 2 pounds each day. After doing 23 hour fasts skipping breakfasts and lunches before I thought I'd try skipping my largest meal that is usually followed by the longest time of least activity.  I'm very pleased with how this worked. I've been struggling to get my weight loss to get fired up again for about a month and a half.
Down now 89.5 pounds in a little over 10 months.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:54:27 AM EDT
[#19]

It just takes patience. It'll drop when it drops. If you know your diet is solid, you just have to wait it out. 
View Quote
This is my plan. Long term lifestyle change.

TC
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:42:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By AA717driver:

TC
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AA717driver:

TC
Yup.

Except for my birthday and going to Europe in April.

Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:31:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I had a cheat day on Wednesday.  
I have a work/study student working with me over the summer.  We did a terrible, dusty, nasty job.
So i felt guilty and bought us a pizza for lunch.

I ate 2 pieces and the topping off a third (chicken, bacon, ranch) and didn't die! I certainly felt the carb burn though.

In fact, I didn't go up, nor down, i'm still in my "stall".  I am holding at 154 +/- and i feel good.

Another thing, my girlfriend stayed over on Thursday.  In the morning i made coffee.  I told her i don't have sugar, she said how about honey?  Lo and behold i did have honey.  I took one little taste and OMG so sweet!  I just can't take sweetness any more.

August 1st will be 1 year of my new way of eating.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:02:22 PM EDT
[#22]
To everyone who has lost so much weight so quickly: have you experience any issues with excess or loose skin?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:23:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Wow, has it been 9 months already?  It seems like yesterday that you started.  How much weight have you lost?  What was your starting BMI, and where are you currently?
View Quote
All told I've dropped about 70 lbs from my fattest.  Most of that was with the diet taught by a dietitian at my docs office.

I've not really been trying to lose weight on keto though, and am instead just focusing on keeping carbs low since I'm mainly doing it as an experiment to try to reduce migraines (and it seems to be working! definitely less frequent).

I still could stand to lose some and the appetite suppressing reputation of keto is very real so I'm still losing slowly. Like a pound every couple of weeks. Keto makes it pretty easy to just eat until you're full and stop 2-3 times a day and naturally land at about the right amount of calories.

I still think I liked the food on the dietitian plan better. More variety. Even if you're eating carbs sticking to real food, meat, veggies, potatoes, rice, cooked at home and no processed shit has a way of helping keep your appetite in check compared to having the industrial shit that's designed to manipulate your biology and get you to spend more.

I'll probably go back to it at some point just for a break, but right now I  have this unbroken chain of no cheat days at low carb and I'm curious to see how long I can stick with it. We'll see what the dr. appointment looks like. If my bloodwork has gone to shit like it does for some people on keto, I'll probably give it up.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:57:36 PM EDT
[#24]
'sup guys, I've been on a road trip the last four weeks. Was out of ketosis for most of it, between traveling food, food at relatives, and all the local beers I wanted to try it wasn't working for me.

Did get a couple chances to eat protein style burgers at in-n-out though, and lots of steaks.

Weigh exactly the same as I did when I left at 218, probably all the hiking.  Off carbs  about 48 hours now, feel fine.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:42:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By SparticleBrane:
To everyone who has lost so much weight so quickly: have you experience any issues with excess or loose skin?
View Quote
Not sure what you consider "so much weight so quickly", but I've lost 50lbs in 100 days and no loose skin yet. But, I'm still fat....

Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:36:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Depends on how long you've been fat. I have been fat since I was 7, I'll be 34 next month and started losing weight at 27. I've lost 125lbs, plus the same 10-50lbs a couple times. I still have a deflated tire and flappy arms.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:39:23 AM EDT
[#27]
View Quote
Yep. Belly, arms, and inside of thighs. Annoying, and I hope it goes away. 

I have nearly 5 month in, and around 65 lbs lost. 
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 3:51:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Bushylover:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bushylover:

From what I have read here and other places. Fasting for extended periods of time will make the body consume unneeded and abnormal cells. Maybe that would work against excess/loose skin too? Something to think about. I would think if all of that were true, it would have to be after you hit your optimal weight.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:53:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Hit my tentative goal weight today. I'm down 30lbs. I didn't realize how easy it would be

I'm probably going to shoot for another 10-15 or so. This shit is getting expensive though, I should have never let the woman talk me into throwing away all my old clothes
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:33:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By dtux:
Hit my tentative goal weight today. I'm down 30lbs. I didn't realize how easy it would be

I'm probably going to shoot for another 10-15 or so. This shit is getting expensive though, I should have never let the woman talk me into throwing away all my old clothes
View Quote
Yeah, well, my "old clothes" are from the '80's. Probably won't work. Lol

TC
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:47:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By dtux:

View Quote
Don't feel bad. I went and bought a couple pairs of size 36 pants and now I'm down to a 34. I'm not buying another pair until I can fit into 32s again.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:01:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Just weighed in this morning.  
Down just shy of 20lbs since starting beginning of June.  Feel great, tons of energy, and clearer head.  It's hard to explain but I feel like I can focus better on tasks at hand and I'm more apt to be on the move and doing stuff.
Started at 248.6 down to 229.2.  I have no real weight goal in mind, I just want to be able to feel better about going shirtless, more energy, strength, etc.  I've been very strict about eating, except one cheat day on my son's birthday party, had a couple pieces of pizza and cake.  Other than that everyday is under 25g carbs per MFP so more like under 15-20g net.  
This whole adventure started as a experiment to see if it would work for me, and I like it.  Time to start working in some strength excercises and dust off the kettle bells.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:48:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Qweevox] [#33]
View Quote
I don't think I can say I lost my weight "fast".   The first 50 lbs came off relatively quickly, maybe over the course of a few months, but the last 30 or so pounds came off really slow.  Primarily because I stopped trying to lose weight.  I went through a period where I thought BMI was absolute bullshit, and there was no way I should be that light.   ....then I gave in, and went for the last 30 lbs, which for me came off slow.

Yes I have loose skin, but thankfully it's not too bad, mainly on my lower torso.  I don't think it matters how fast or slow you lose it, if you're losing a big number like me (265 lbs down to 184) you're going to have some loose skin.   I've seen guys who lost a 100 or more with lots of loose skin.  

Also I really didn't notice it until my body fat got around 20%.  

I think it really depends on the individual, genetics and age are variables.  But if you go from >30% body fat, to 20%> body fat, you're probably going to have some loose skin.   But it beats the hell out of the alternative.  

Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:13:07 AM EDT
[#34]
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2017-06/dzfd-hii062317.php

To better understand the mechanism of action of insulin, the researchers administered insulin intranasally to healthy young adults. Through the application of the hormone via a nasal spray, the blood-brain barrier is bypassed and the insulin reaches the brain directly.

These changes in the brain also influence eating behavior and alter the relationship between adiposity and the hunger sensation. Actually, people with a lot of visceral adipose tissue*** have an increased sensation of hunger. "Insulin-enhanced connectivity between the DMN and the hippocampus suppresses the relationship between adipose tissue and the subjective hunger feeling," said Stephanie Kullmann, author of the study. The study participants felt less hunger after being administered intranasal insulin.

In addition, the scientists observed that insulin in the brain also improves the effect of the hormone in the body. Study participants with insulin-induced increased functional connectivity in the DMN have higher insulin sensitivity in the body. This counteracts obesity and type 2 diabetes.

The current results show that insulin in the brain -- due to increased functional connectivity between cognitive and homeostatic regions -- may help regulate eating behavior and facilitate weight loss.

That's pretty cool.  That would be beneficial for my sister.  She was so far gone she still struggles with hunger after nearly a year of keto.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 2:03:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Credge] [#35]
First time I've weighed less than 250 in 9 years.

ETA: Toes emitted due to self extracted ingrown toenail. That could be where the weight loss came from.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 2:57:37 PM EDT
[#36]

I don't think I can say I lost my weight "fast".   The first 50 lbs came off relatively quickly, maybe over the course of a few months, but the last 30 or so pounds came off really slow.  Primarily because I stopped trying to lose weight.  I went through a period where I thought BMI was absolute bullshit, and there was no way I should be that light.   ....then I gave in, and went for the last 30 lbs, which for me came off slow.

Yes I have loose skin, but thankfully it's not too bad, mainly on my lower torso.  I don't think it matters how fast or slow you lose it, if you're losing a big number like me (265 lbs down to 184) you're going to have some loose skin.   I've seen guys who lost a 100 or more with lots of loose skin.  

Also I really didn't notice it until my body fat got around 20%.  

I think it really depends on the individual, genetics and age are variables.  But if you go from >30% body fat, to 20%> body fat, you're probably going to have some loose skin.   But it beats the hell out of the alternative.  

https://www.builtlean.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/body-fat-percentage-men-1.jpg
View Quote
I think their are many differant type body compositions and differant types of 'fat' on people

All my over weight fat has always been real body conforming and not the 'loose' jiggly kind that I see on alot of other people of similar % over weight like i was

One of my good buddys recently lost about 45 lbs or so and his face got really droopy in the jowells area as did his mid section ( loose looking skin )

I lost similar 40lbs or so and I have zero noticable loose skin anywhere ( face or body )

Nothing scientific about it. I just think diff peeps have diff body make ups and diff types fat on them
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 2:59:53 PM EDT
[#37]
View All Quotes
It does take longer if you're not super heavy. I'm 5'10" and a buck-eighty-three this morning. I've been there since June 3rd.  was 202 when I started this in early April. 

My body is VERY jealously holding onto the weight. Over the last 20 days, it's been as low as 182, and it's been as high as 186. It ain't wanting to budge. The first 20lbs were easy. 

Note: While I'm following my own diet very strictly, it's not hard core Keto (it's probably closer to Paleo if you really wanted to analyze the shit out of it - but even then, not really). It's not uncommon for me to eat 70-100g of carbs in a day, all of it from vegetables. Most days, I only eat dinner. I'll eat lunch maybe twice a week, if/when I'm hungry. I don't snack during the day at all. I haven't ate breakfast since I started in April (I rarely ever did anyway). 

And no sooner did I post this, then I broke 179 this morning. 
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:01:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By OnlineAllTheTime:
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2017-06/dzfd-hii062317.php

To better understand the mechanism of action of insulin, the researchers administered insulin intranasally to healthy young adults. Through the application of the hormone via a nasal spray, the blood-brain barrier is bypassed and the insulin reaches the brain directly.

These changes in the brain also influence eating behavior and alter the relationship between adiposity and the hunger sensation. Actually, people with a lot of visceral adipose tissue*** have an increased sensation of hunger. "Insulin-enhanced connectivity between the DMN and the hippocampus suppresses the relationship between adipose tissue and the subjective hunger feeling," said Stephanie Kullmann, author of the study. The study participants felt less hunger after being administered intranasal insulin.

In addition, the scientists observed that insulin in the brain also improves the effect of the hormone in the body. Study participants with insulin-induced increased functional connectivity in the DMN have higher insulin sensitivity in the body. This counteracts obesity and type 2 diabetes.

The current results show that insulin in the brain -- due to increased functional connectivity between cognitive and homeostatic regions -- may help regulate eating behavior and facilitate weight loss.

That's pretty cool.  That would be beneficial for my sister.  She was so far gone she still struggles with hunger after nearly a year of keto.
View Quote
This is interesting.

Because of your post, I found this article.  http://www.lostfalco.com/intranasal-insulin/

I'm concerned about the long-term effects it might have on the brain's metabolism.   We know that type 2 diabetes isn't a disease of high blood glucose.  High blood glucose is just a symptom of the true underlying cause, insulin resistence.   We know that once a patient starts down the road of injecting insulin, that it's progressive.  Eventually they'll need more insulin to control their high blood sugar.  So, injecting insulin, for type 2 diabetics increases insulin resistence over time.  

So if you elevate insulin levels in the brain, couldn't you run the risk of causing insulin resistence in the brain?
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:38:31 PM EDT
[#39]
And no sooner did I post this, then I broke 179 this morning. 
View Quote
Congratulations subnet.

I know the importance of passing those numerical landmarks.   Let me ask you, do you feel deprived?

By the looks of your meals, I wouldn't think so.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:47:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Credge:
First time I've weighed less than 250 in 9 years.

http://i.imgur.com/jXU3B4G.jpg

ETA: Toes emitted due to self extracted ingrown toenail. That could be where the weight loss came from.
View Quote
Nice!

Feels good, no?

Congratulations. I'm 6 months in. It keeps getting easier. Stick with it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:19:01 PM EDT
[#41]

If my bloodwork has gone to shit like it does for some people on keto, I'll probably give it up.
View Quote
Well, you might as well quit now.  

When you lose weight, you are mobilizing energy stored as fat. That fat is mobilized as fatty acids and triglycerides into the bloodstream. 10 pounds of fat lost, for instance, means the equivalent of roughly 35,000 calories of fat released into the bloodstream.

But you should probably keep on going.  For your long-term health you need to get your BMI below 25, and then you can work on things like increasing your muscle mass, and taking steps to improve your blood labs.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:36:09 PM EDT
[#42]

This is interesting.

Because of your post, I found this article.  http://www.lostfalco.com/intranasal-insulin/

I'm concerned about the long-term effects it might have on the brain's metabolism.   We know that type 2 diabetes isn't a disease of high blood glucose.  High blood glucose is just a symptom of the true underlying cause, insulin resistence.   We know that once a patient starts down the road of injecting insulin, that it's progressive.  Eventually they'll need more insulin to control their high blood sugar.  So, injecting insulin, for type 2 diabetics increases insulin resistence over time.  

So if you elevate insulin levels in the brain, couldn't you run the risk of causing insulin resistence in the brain?
View Quote
I imagine it's a very legitimate concern.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:38:09 PM EDT
[#43]
I just checked out your article.  We're on the road to insulin huffing tweakers.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:42:45 PM EDT
[#44]

But you should probably keep on going.
View Quote
We'll see what he doc says. He's been supportive of low carb dieting.

If the bloodwork comes back bad I'm going to ask him about it being temporary due to weight loss.

In the meantime, I'll continue suffering through horrible depriving low carb meals like this.

Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:15:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Anyone have a Sprouts in their AO? I went there today to get some stuff, and noticed a no CCW sign. I've never noticed it there before, but it was covered up by a plant. I promptly left to go to a chain grocery store to spend double!

Anyways. I grabbed some Baby Spinach, good god that stuff is bland! I think i should be able to eat it though. Grabbed some Jalapeno Ranch dressing to go with it. Pretty damn good! There's a local farm here who makes butter along with milk and Ice Cream. Grabbed some of their butter. A dollar cheaper than the Kerry Gold everyone likes, and I get to support a local business!
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:44:25 PM EDT
[#46]

Nice!

Feels good, no?

Congratulations. I'm 6 months in. It keeps getting easier. Stick with it.
View Quote
The number feels good but in general I have way lower energy and usually need a nap after work.

But the food part of it is insanely easy. I'll have the occasional bite of something, like a brownie or something, but only because I want something not because I feel like I must have it. It's been an easy 3 months so far.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:50:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Obo2] [#47]
Anyone have a Sprouts in their AO? I went there today to get some stuff, and noticed a no CCW sign. I've never noticed it there before, but it was covered up by a plant. I promptly left to go to a chain grocery store to spend double!

Anyways. I grabbed some Baby Spinach, good god that stuff is bland! I think i should be able to eat it though. Grabbed some Jalapeno Ranch dressing to go with it. Pretty damn good! There's a local farm here who makes butter along with milk and Ice Cream. Grabbed some of their butter. A dollar cheaper than the Kerry Gold everyone likes, and I get to support a local business!
View Quote
If you want less bland greens try something like baby arugala

I go to sprouts for some things. No weapons signs are ignored
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:30:34 PM EDT
[#48]

If the bloodwork comes back bad I'm going to ask him about it being temporary due to weight loss.

In the meantime, I'll continue suffering through horrible depriving low carb meals like this.

http://i.imgur.com/rxeLJVQ.jpg
View All Quotes

But you should probably keep on going.

http://i.imgur.com/rxeLJVQ.jpg
There are a lot of articles on this phenomena.

Weight Loss May Raise Cholesterol Temporarily

Although research indicates that weight loss will lower cholesterol, some people may experience a rise in cholesterol as they lose weight, because as weight is lost, fat stores shrink. The fat and cholesterol normally stored in fatty tissue have nowhere to go but the bloodstream, causing a rise in cholesterol. This effect is not permanent and cholesterol levels will drop as your weight stabilizes. Medications used to to treat high cholesterol, such as Z-hydroxy-Z-Coa reductase inhibitors, are not effective in controlling cholesterol when it comes from fatty tissue stores.
--link
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:50:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Obo2:

If you want less bland greens try something like baby arugala

I go to sprouts for some things. No weapons signs are ignored
View Quote
I can still carry in the store, and have done so in the past, but I'm not going to support a place that doesn't support my constitutional rights. I will gladly go somewhere else that does and pay more.

Sorry to get political in a diet thread, but that shit pisses me off to no end.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:56:08 PM EDT
[#50]
So, after fasting for Wednesday and Friday, I'm back on track for weight. My previous lowest was 183 something over Memorial Day weekend, and I've been floating between 185 and 192 in the three weeks since. Weighed in today at 182 something. We'll see if, like my previous fast, this triggers a rapid loss of a couple extra pounds.

Non-scale victory of a sort today (NSV, to use the Reddit term): I spent the afternoon at a swimming pool for a buddy's birthday party, and the two ladies present were saying that I had visible abs. Not very visible, and not when I was relaxed, but apparently something is visible when I'm contracting (say, with laughter). I was told repeatedly to stop arguing with them about it.

Onward!
Page / 349
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top