BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:02:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I like my Kaenons.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:03:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I love my '70s vintage Wayfarers. B&L lenses and USA made.  New shit is no comparison.  Screw Hoakley and screw China.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Oakley has been on a steady downhill slide for a few years now. My brother is an eye doctor and has an optical at his office. He used to keep a great selection of Oakley glasses in stock and sold bunches of them. Oakley was known for very good customer service and excellent lens clarity and quality. They had representatives that checked in with the offices regularly and took very good care of customers. All that is gone. He keeps very few in stock now, and that is only because there are some people who won't have anything else. I have a couple of pairs myself that have lasted very well through the years (since 2007 or so). The lenses (prescription) just started to de-laminate recently and they wouldn't fix them, even for a fee. Maui Jim are where you want to be now, excellent lenses.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:06:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Damn it, you're a sexy bitch when on a boat.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really like my Costa Del Mars far more than any Foakleys I've owned.

Me too. Fantastic sunglasses for yachting.

<a href="http://s111.photobucket.com/user/kaik78/media/20160528_130013_zpstkla0b9a.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n125/kaik78/20160528_130013_zpstkla0b9a.jpg</a>

Damn it, you're a sexy bitch when on a boat.

I'm always sexy.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:08:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I spent 10 years in a union shop. I can count on one hand the number of fiscally conservative union members I met out of around 2000 people.

Oakley *is* an American company, who uses Chinese manufacturing. If you want American companies to use American manufacturing, get the leftist unions to stop choking production on their home soil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
never got into them anyway, but if the quality is the same I don't care if Chinese made them or not.  Rather have them make them than a left wing union member

Wow!  Really?  What makes you think all Union members are left wing?  Any life experience here?   I doubt it. ( and no   I have never been a member of a Union)  Yes, by all means let's give our money to a Chinese company rather than an American company.

I spent 10 years in a union shop. I can count on one hand the number of fiscally conservative union members I met out of around 2000 people.

Oakley *is* an American company, who uses Chinese manufacturing. If you want American companies to use American manufacturing, get the leftist unions to stop choking production on their home soil.

It's not an American company anymore (I worked at Oakley in foothill ranch) Jim sold it to an Italian holding called lexotica. I repeat... It's now a European company! That's why the components are made in China now
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:08:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Some investigative journalist did a piece a few weeks ago about UV protection from $300 sunglasses versus the $10 sunglasses for sale at the drug store.

Both varieties blocked 100% of UV rays.

I guess you could feel better about paying for the name etc but why? Oh, SEALS, that's right.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:10:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:10:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Costa 580g lenses are nice but their frames are garbage.  They wear out way to fast.  

Great lenses in subpar frames.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Costa 580g lenses are nice but their frames are garbage.  They wear out way to fast.  

I've had this pair of 580 Triple Tails for about 5 years. Broke a lens but that's it.

This is my 3rd pair. Lost my other 2 surfing.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:10:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Some investigative journalist did a piece a few weeks ago about UV protection from $300 sunglasses versus the $10 sunglasses for sale at the drug store.

I guess you could feel better about paying for the name etc but why? Oh, SEALS, that's right.
View Quote

Lens clarity is night and day different between the two.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:12:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Oakley has been on a steady downhill slide for a few years now. My brother is an eye doctor and has an optical at his office. He used to keep a great selection of Oakley glasses in stock and sold bunches of them. Oakley was known for very good customer service and excellent lens clarity and quality. They had representatives that checked in with the offices regularly and took very good care of customers. All that is gone. He keeps very few in stock now, and that is only because there are some people who won't have anything else. I have a couple of pairs myself that have lasted very well through the years (since 2007 or so). The lenses (prescription) just started to de-laminate recently and they wouldn't fix them, even for a fee. Maui Jim are where you want to be now, excellent lenses.
View Quote

Have to agree on that last part. I've had a pair of MJ Lighthouses for almost three years and they're awesome. Also have Oakley M frames and the Sliver F. Good frames with lenses that are half as good as MJ. But the MJs aren't ballistic like the Oakleys are though, lol
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:16:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why do people pay $40 plus dollars for sneakers when they cost a couple of bucks to make.
Why do people pay $14 for a pair of POLO underwear when they cost pennies to make.
You can apply this to some many products, and it is all about the pure stupidity on the part of
the consumer which leads to pure profit for the sellers.
View Quote

By that logic we should all be carrying Ravens & Hi-Points....

Paying for a brand name and paying for quality are two different things altogether.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:19:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

went to the sporting good store to get some stuff for my son, wondered around the eyewear counter, thought about replace my old plastic Oakley's with something metal framed.

Found a pair fits me pretty good and the price tag is $199, looked closely it says "China".  they have few others with even higher price tags up $400 also made in China.

WTF?  Why would anyone pay that kinda price for a Walmart product?

Oh, BTW, the pair I picked out is called "Tinfoil".

http://www.oakley.com/mam/celum/celum_assets/main_OO4083-02_tinfoil_lead-black-iridium_001_60628_png_hero.jpg
View Quote

Bro, do even English?
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:19:42 PM EDT
[#13]
The Chinese have been into tinted lenses for quite awhile. In 1300 Chinese judges routinely wore smoke-colored quartz lenses to conceal their eye expressions in court. It wasn't until 1929 that Sam Foster sold the first pair of Foster Grant sunglasses on the Boardwalk in Atlantic City.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:21:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's not an American company anymore (I worked at Oakley in foothill ranch) Jim sold it to an Italian holding called lexotica. I repeat... It's now a European company! That's why the components are made in China now
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
never got into them anyway, but if the quality is the same I don't care if Chinese made them or not.  Rather have them make them than a left wing union member

Wow!  Really?  What makes you think all Union members are left wing?  Any life experience here?   I doubt it. ( and no   I have never been a member of a Union)  Yes, by all means let's give our money to a Chinese company rather than an American company.

Huh, well, there you go. Good for the Italians.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:22:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
never understood why anyone would pay the Oakley price for Oakleys anyway.

Watched a set blow off a dumbass's face while fishing. My dad and I laughed at the stupid yuppie.

Ya know...$200 sunglasses sink to the bottom of Lake Michigan just as well as $10 ones.
View Quote

Sorry you are a poor and can't afford them. Jealous much?

Smart people use Croakies to avoid that.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:25:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. I can wear a pair of Oakleys all day while standing in the middle of a white limestone parking lot with all the glair and not get a head ache. I spend 30min in my cheap safety glasses in the same parking lot and I'm popping advil from a bad head ache. I have extremely sensitive blue eyes FWIW.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:26:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I switched Randolph.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:27:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hmm my USSI Oakleys doesn't cost nearly that much. Sorry for ya bro.
View Quote

This.

Sorry you don't have the hook up and you can't afford nice stuff.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:27:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Gargoyles.

....made in Japan.....by people who generally have a sense of with about what they make.
View Quote

I had a pair of those in the late 90's and they were great.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:28:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Just bought a US made pair of Holbrooks.
All 4 pairs of Oakleys I own are US made
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:31:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I love my '70s vintage Wayfarers. B&L lenses and USA made.  New shit is no comparison.  Screw Hoakley and screw China.
View Quote

I bet you have tons of Chicom shit in your home.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:33:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I've had this pair of 580 Triple Tails for about 5 years. Broke a lens but that's it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've beat the fuck out the four pair of Costas I have.

Zero issues.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:33:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bullshit.

Sorry you can't afford nice things.

Oh yeah, link to this bullshit?
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:34:02 PM EDT
[#24]
I just checked and my Oakley Bottle Rockets are made in the USA.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:34:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Exactly. I can wear a pair of Oakleys all day while standing in the middle of a white limestone parking lot with all the glair and not get a head ache. I spend 30min in my cheap safety glasses in the same parking lot and I'm popping advil from a bad head ache. I have extremely sensitive blue eyes FWIW.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same. Blue eyes and can get bright light induced headaches.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:36:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I switched Randolph.
View Quote

Those are nice glasses.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:40:10 PM EDT
[#27]
China has the capability to build quality stuff. Its the companies that want it cheap so they make it to fit their budget. The companies then take that profit and put it in their pocket.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:41:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Gargoyles.

....made in Japan.....by people who generally have a sense of with about what they make.
View Quote

I loved my gargoyles, unfortunately my dag didn't and chewed a pair up. .22 proof don't necessarily mean mastiff proof.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:41:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Bullshit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit.

Even if they both block UV rays, the lens quality on the wal mart ones will still be shitty, which can give many people headaches. My dad was one of those people. He always thought the pressure on the sides of his head from the arms was what caused it until I let him borrow a pair of my Maui Jims for a day. Now he has two pair of his own lol
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:42:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Does everything you buy have to be made in America?
View Quote

I demand that all of my electronics are!
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:43:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Oakley never could make aluminum frames with a hinge that was worth a shit!
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:45:20 PM EDT
[#32]
http://aoeyewear.com/,

Made in USA, look like a boss.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:49:32 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not all are of course, but most are.  When's the last time any union endorsed a Republican candidate?

Can't remember a single time

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:00:59 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote
This, right here.

The originals.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:07:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Oakley never could make aluminum frames with a hinge that was worth a shit!
View Quote

The magnesium M Frames though...still love mine
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:11:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
This, right here.

The originals.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, right here.

The originals.

Well, the originals produced under license from B&L at least.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:17:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bwahahahahahaha!!!!

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:30:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, gee, let's see................historically voted for Dems for one thing and unions are a perfect example of socialism where everyone gets the same (pay in the case of unions) regardless of performance or worth.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:31:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The fuel cells I picked up about a month and a half ago say Made in USA on the inside of the earpiece.
View Quote

My Fuel Cells say "Made in USA" but the Straight Jackets I bought two months ago say "Assembled In USA"
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:35:38 PM EDT
[#40]
My last two pairs of polarized Sqaure Wires lasted me 6 and 7 years. My current Daily Prizm Sqaure Wires are even better. Been wearing Oakleys for 20 years. Will worry about the Made in China shit when the quality goes down.

Although I do miss them making the Why 8.2 style. Those were my favorite frame style by far. If they came out with those with the Prizm lenses I would buy five pairs right now.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:39:16 PM EDT
[#41]
I gave up on 'em years ago because the lenses scratch if you stare through them too hard.

Wiley X for "tactical" shades and Polaroid for casual.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:53:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Oakley is owned by Luxottica. They also own a ton of other brands.
View Quote

I will try my best to never buy Luxotica eyewear again which might be difficult since they own or control such a huge segment of the eyewear industry.

My understanding of how they bought Oakley: They offered to buy Oakley out at a low price. Oakley said no.
Luxotica owns a bunch of retailers such as Sunglass Hut International, LensCrafter,s Pearle Vision,  Sears Optical, Target Optical, and more. Luxotica halts all sales of Oakleys. Oakley's sales drop drastically and Luxotica buys them cheap.

Fuck Luxotica. My next sunglasses will be Maui Jim.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:56:27 PM EDT
[#43]
I got a backup pair of old style Oakley Flak Jackets with my vision insurance last trip to the eye dr.  Didn't need to spend it on corrective lenses so I got a pair for like $35 bucks out of pocket.  Should last me a while since I still have the pair I got five or so years back.  After they are done then I guess I'll have to pick another brand.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:02:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Luxottica; they own an estimated 60 to 80% of the US market.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:05:27 PM EDT
[#45]
As soon as I break the pair I have I'm going back to WileyX. Never should have tried.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:05:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Never been a fan of Oakley but it seems most glasses are made in China now.
View Quote

this, i just jump on aliexpress and order something i like sometimes its got a logo and sometimes not.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:20:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Does everything you buy have to be made in America?
View Quote

does every American you know have to have a job ?
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:23:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Bro, do even English?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

went to the sporting good store to get some stuff for my son, wondered around the eyewear counter, thought about replace my old plastic Oakley's with something metal framed.

Found a pair fits me pretty good and the price tag is $199, looked closely it says "China".  they have few others with even higher price tags up $400 also made in China.

WTF?  Why would anyone pay that kinda price for a Walmart product?

Oh, BTW, the pair I picked out is called "Tinfoil".

http://www.oakley.com/mam/celum/celum_assets/main_OO4083-02_tinfoil_lead-black-iridium_001_60628_png_hero.jpg

Bro, do even English?

Come on he had a legit beef. So your going to troll him now?
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:25:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Gargoyles.

View Quote

Not anymore. Made in China, now.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:37:50 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

never understood why anyone would pay the Oakley price for Oakleys anyway.

Watched a set blow off a dumbass's face while fishing. My dad and I laughed at the stupid yuppie.

Ya know...$200 sunglasses sink to the bottom of Lake Michigan just as well as $10 ones.

Poor, no not really. Jealous...not in the least.

Didn't that fad come and go 25 years ago?

I seriously thought people would have quit paying $200+ a couple years after they came out.

We have different criteria for smart.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top