Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/28/2016 11:52:27 AM EDT
I'm sure there are several others, but this is the first to be legally imported because it made the 25-yr old exemption rule from the NHTSA and EPA. It crossed over the US-Canada border at exactly 12:01 am on the exemption date.
It's a 1989 model, with right-side driver's controls. Pretty cool. I know original Japanese GT-Rs are pretty rare in the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqJJXPNMwII

If you want to own your own GT-R:

http://www.montumotors.com/
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:56:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Seems like a pretty cool guy
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:58:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I had a friend (rest in peace Paul) who illegally imported one when we were younger. They were very sweet rides.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:00:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome. Hope we can see more on the roads.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:01:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Sweet ride.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:01:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm sure there are several others, but this is the first to be legally imported because it made the 25-yr old exemption rule from the NHTSA and EPA. It crossed over the US-Canada border at exactly 12:01 am on the exemption date.
It's a 1989 model, with right-side driver's controls. Pretty cool. I know original Japanese GT-Rs are pretty rare in the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqJJXPNMwII

If you want to own your own GT-R:

http://www.montumotors.com/
View Quote

Neat. I always assumed they were RWD or AWD.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:03:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Good for him!
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:04:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Good for him!
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:04:51 PM EDT
[#8]
That's awesome. Always wanted to drive a GT-R.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:06:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Not a car guy, but very cool.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:07:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Where do you get parts for it?
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:08:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote
Overnight from Japan

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:09:47 PM EDT
[#12]
He seems very passionate about the car. Personally I would try to stay with the 89 appearance. Older Japanese cars are cool.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:10:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Cool.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:11:19 PM EDT
[#14]
He's one of those widebody M1911A1 fellas...
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:11:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Cool.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:15:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice ride,looks much better with the new wheels and carbon fiber hood/decklid
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:16:37 PM EDT
[#17]
huh, duty weapon is 1911, nice
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:23:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Sweet ride!
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:24:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice car and nice 1911 variant.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:39:37 PM EDT
[#20]

I don't know much about it, but my neighbors have a few condos in my place (2 parking spots each) and are Japanese helicopter instructors.  They've been my neighbors for 15+ years (I've been here 28+ yrs.) and have always imported Japanese automobiles and small Nissan pickup trucks, the above being one of them.

That picture was snapped for sure, before November 27 2011.  I think it's a Skyline.  They seem to specialize in Nissan cars/trucks, but have brought in many others and they've recently brought 3-4 of those funky looking Figaros over the past year...good shape too.

Sometimes they'll have 4-5 cars all parked next to each other by the dumpster and it's always neat to look at them.  All RHD, obviously.  Can't say if they're legal, but I assume that they are because they 'sell' them off quickly and with the volume that they've brought in over the years, they've gotta be legit.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:40:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good for him!

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:44:12 PM EDT
[#22]
In 7 years, the R34 will be available and I will have one.  It's been my dream since I was a kid.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:46:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
In 7 years, the R34 will be available and I will have one.  It's been my dream since I was a kid.
View Quote

We can have R33's next year, over been debating adding one to my stable.  They can be had under $20k
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:46:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Winning's winning.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:48:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

We can have R33's next year, over been debating adding one to my stable.  They can be had under $20k
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The repair costs on the fucking things, tho...

Then again I have an Aussie Land Cruiser so I can't talk.

At least mine has parts in common with vehicles sold in the US and Canada.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:50:37 PM EDT
[#26]

Why are they illegal and only allowed after 25 years?

Wouldn't it be the other way around, with the newer cars being "Cleaner"?

Just curious what the logic is.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:51:16 PM EDT
[#27]
I live my life a quarter mile at a time...

How hard is it to adjust to a RHD manual? I seems like it'd be like trying to write with your off hand. I've driven a RHD auto and found it no more difficult that a LHD but you're also not shifting.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Seems like a pretty cool guy
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:52:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a 3000gt vr4 so I know about frequent repair costs on 90s imports

I also have a supra, sc300, and sc400 and they have had no expensive repairs needed.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:57:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once US market demands open up I bet they'll fetch more money. It might be a better idea to buy it now and wait a year to register it...if that's possible idk anything about car importation.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:57:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are cheap to repair and maintain and possibly the most reliable boosted car ever.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:57:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good for him!

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:58:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

They are cheap to repair and maintain and possibly the most reliable boosted car ever.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And parts are easy to get in the US?

Would be fun to get an R34 one day.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:59:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Once US market demands open up I bet they'll fetch more money. It might be a better idea to buy it now and wait a year to register it...if that's possible idk anything about car importation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been watching Canadian pricing for the past couple of years, it seems like they tend to drop in price over time as more get brought in.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:59:42 PM EDT
[#35]
No he doesn't. Motorex imported them. Plus other people brought them in as show cars and now get exempted. There is one a few miles from me.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:05:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I've been watching Canadian pricing for the past couple of years, it seems like they tend to drop in price over time as more get brought in.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice! What's the cost of the importation itself?
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:06:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
No he doesn't. Motorex imported them. Plus other people brought them in as show cars and now get exempted. There is one a few miles from me.
View Quote

That's what I was thinking too.  Motorex brought a bunch of them over before they got in trouble.  I think several motorex owners actually had their cars seized as well, but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:07:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://m.autotrader.ca/results?make=nissan&mdl=skyline&cat2=7%2C11%2C10%2C9&st=1&prx=-1&cty=Etobicoke&prv=Ontario&r=40&loc=M9C+5J1
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:08:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That's what I was thinking too.  Motorcycle brought a bunch of them over before they got in trouble.  I think several motored owners actually had their cars seized as well, but I could be wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I was thinking too.  Motorcycle brought a bunch of them over before they got in trouble.  I think several motored owners actually had their cars seized as well, but I could be wrong.

No, you are correct. I remember reading about it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:08:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I live my life a quarter mile at a time...

How hard is it to adjust to a RHD manual? I seems like it'd be like trying to write with your off hand. I've driven a RHD auto and found it no more difficult that a LHD but you're also not shifting.
View Quote

No difference for me.  Only thing that fucked me up is the turn signal being on the opposite side.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:17:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Huh, I've seen him around before. Had no idea it was a cop driving it. I wonder how he deals with people trying to race him all the time
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:17:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d183/Flyingsqir/ThingsThatGoBang/NissanSkyline_zpsg20roovo.jpg

I don't know much about it, but my neighbors have a few condos in my place (2 parking spots each) and are Japanese helicopter instructors.  They've been my neighbors for 15+ years (I've been here 28+ yrs.) and have always imported Japanese automobiles and small Nissan pickup trucks, the above being one of them.

That picture was snapped for sure, before November 27 2011.  I think it's a Skyline.  They seem to specialize in Nissan cars/trucks, but have brought in many others and they've recently brought 3-4 of those funky looking Figaros over the past year...good shape too.

Sometimes they'll have 4-5 cars all parked next to each other by the dumpster and it's always neat to look at them.  All RHD, obviously.  Can't say if they're legal, but I assume that they are because they 'sell' them off quickly and with the volume that they've brought in over the years, they've gotta be legit.

Chris
View Quote

Looks like a R33?

There's been an R34 I've seen around town for about 6 months.  Not sure what's up, whether it's down from Canada or body kit R32, he is RHD.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:19:08 PM EDT
[#43]
My buddy has an R32.  Legal. Its bad ass.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:21:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Pretty sweet, ill plan on grabbing a gts-t when they become easier to import.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:21:36 PM EDT
[#45]
I've had a Skyline club pass me on I-20 complete with a truck hauling a
maintenance trailer. I think they were all from Florida, maybe 8 or 10 of them,
all right hand drive.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:25:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:29:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Overnight from Japan  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Overnight from Japan  

fuck, that movie is lame.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:39:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Looks like a R33?

There's been an R34 I've seen around town for about 6 months.  Not sure what's up, whether it's down from Canada or body kit R32, he is RHD.  
View Quote

I have no idea T..  I know what a Skyline is and I've seen videos of modded cars on YouTube and in video games, but I don't know anything about the iterations.

I don't know how many Skylines are here in the States, but it seems that while not common, there are more than a few, notwithstanding the fact that the GT-R is a different beast (I guess?)

Chris
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:16:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Overnight from Japan  

Streets closed pizza boy.  Find another way home.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:18:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I also have a supra, sc300, and sc400 and they have had no expensive repairs needed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sounds  like a gran turismo 1 garage for the original playstation.

I like it
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top