Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/28/2016 11:02:23 AM EDT
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-federal-reserve-s--4-3-trillion-ticking-time-bomb-121801977.html

Currently, the Fed pays 0.50% annually to banks to keep that money out of the economy. It might not seem like much, but the comparable rate paid by the U.S. Treasury for T-bills is 0.28%. In other words, the Fed pays banks nearly twice as much as the Treasury does.

But the Fed refuses to acknowledge this. Each year, the Fed Chair is required by law to testify twice in front of Congress. Both Ben Bernanke and Janet Yellen have used the word, “comparable,” to assert disingenuously that the Fed is paying an amount of interest similar to what banks could earn in the marketplace. It’s possible to “compare” apples to oranges, but it doesn’t mean they’re similar.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:07:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Can has reached the end of the road
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:08:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

People keep saying this, but the can manages to get kicked even further down the road.  We shall see.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:39:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

People keep saying this, but the can manages to get kicked even further down the road.  We shall see.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you think about it, they can keep the game going for quite some time, just by diluting the current currency.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:01:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If you think about it, they can keep the game going for quite some time, just by diluting the current currency.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Coincidence that the fed has done nothing during the reign of FBHO?    I dont like Trump but he has the nuts to end the charade that the FED is apolitical.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:08:02 PM EDT
[#5]
oopsie
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:17:02 PM EDT
[#6]
But the GDP was revised upwards!

Jobs report will show an improvement in the economy!

All is well!
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:22:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Once this all collapses everybody will realize that the Fed had no clue; they made it up as they went along.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:28:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMO, it depends on who gets to run the govt next.

Dems, they will patch it back together for another 4-8 years.
Repubs, they will throw a bottle of gas with a lit rag stuffed in it over their shoulder on the way out the door.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:29:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I keep a 1 million dollar Zimbabwe bill in my pocket to illustrate exactly this.

You cannot inflate your way to prosperity.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:31:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't see there being an end until there is a replacement for the US consumer.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:31:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the government we're talking about. They just bust into the houses on the roads with guns, steal anything of value, throw the owners into jail, and use what they stole to pave the road further.

"Nothing to see here, move along... "
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:31:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep

When I was young I thought the end was coming.Once I got older,I realized they have plenty of tricks to play to keep the game going.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:31:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

All is well!
View Quote

It's funny that nobody wants to acknowledge that O'fuckface is the first president in modern history to not have at least one year of annualized GDP at 3% or better. Yet the economy is recovering and doing well.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:35:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

yep

When I was young I thought the end was coming.Once I got older,I realized they have plenty of tricks to play to keep the game going.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep

of course they do, and will. I still haven't figured out why commers want to see the U.S. burn down.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:41:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I keep this as a reminder that great empires can fall quickly!  Value? About a nickel.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:36:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I keep a 1 million dollar Zimbabwe bill in my pocket to illustrate exactly this.

View Quote

You can if every nation plays ball however, one country's desperation (debt) is another's opportunity (finance).
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:37:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

All is well!
View Quote

Funny that we have nearly 22% unemployment by the REAL numbers.

They only report active job seekers.

But, I think they can keep kicking the can down the road for at least a couple more decades.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:40:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, yes.  I think that's why a lot of people here post that we are going to have a slow descent rather than a sudden crash.  Year after year people
will find it harder to make ends meet and the standard of living slowly goes down.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:52:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yes, yes.  I think that's why a lot of people here post that we are going to have a slow descent rather than a sudden crash.  Year after year people
will find it harder to make ends meet and the standard of living slowly goes down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think this is most likely even though a hard reset might be less painful in the long run. The government and the Fed have painted themselves into a corner with no actual strategy on how to get out.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:57:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of people are going to be surprised when it turns out that no, you cannot in fact keep kicking it down the road forever.

The day is coming.   The "slow descent" has been going on for about 40 years now.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 2:03:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Coincidence that the fed has done nothing during the reign of FBHO?    I dont like Trump but he has the nuts to end the charade that the FED is apolitical.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DONE NOTHING????

The FED has printed ever living hell out of the dollar and turn around and monetized that debt by injecting it into Wall Street and buying treasury bills.  They single-handedly funded Obama's massive increase in the national debt by doing so.

I don't call that doing nothing.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 2:03:58 PM EDT
[#22]

$4.3 trillion bond portfolio
View Quote

The bonds only have a face value of 4.3 trillion because interest rates are effectively zero. As rates rise the face value of this portfolio will drop to match the market yields of comparable risk.

Whoever wrote this must have had a sociology degree.

Currently, the Fed pays 0.50% annually to banks to keep that money out of the economy.

Won't change. As rates rise the demand for commercial debt will drop. Banks won't be able to loan it out 'on the market' and will keep it in the fed.

Jared Blikre

Producer at Yahoo FinanceBachelor of Science (BS), Computer Science FIU
yeah ok bro

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 2:11:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

A lot of people are going to be surprised when it turns out that no, you cannot in fact keep kicking it down the road forever.

The day is coming.   The "slow descent" has been going on for about 40 years now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No the day isn't coming.  Prove me wrong.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 2:16:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Revoke the FED's charter.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 2:55:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The bonds only have a face value of 4.3 trillion because interest rates are effectively zero. As rates rise the face value of this portfolio will drop to match the market yields of comparable risk.

Currently, the Fed pays 0.50% annually to banks to keep that money out of the economy.

Won't change. As rates rise the demand for commercial debt will drop. Banks won't be able to loan it out 'on the market' and will keep it in the fed.

Jared Blikre

yeah ok bro

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Jared Blikre

yeah ok bro

So, we have nothing to worry about ?
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 2:57:39 PM EDT
[#26]
OK, understood
How does this constitute a "ticking time bomb"?
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:06:38 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Jared Blikre

yeah ok bro

So, we have nothing to worry about ?

I say take it with a grain of salt. Jared might be well out of his league and just talking out of his ass so he can appease the contracted amount of articles he has to put out. Or he might be onto something.

I'll just refrain judgement unless we have an actual market/economic analyst who can add in on this.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:12:19 PM EDT
[#28]
When economic pressure manages to finally break down all Oil-dependent tyrannical dictatorships (Iran, Russia, Venezuela), we will see a new era of financial stability brought about by American leadership.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 7:41:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
When economic pressure manages to finally break down all Oil-dependent tyrannical dictatorships (Iran, Russia, Venezuela), we will see a new era of financial stability brought about by American leadership.
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:19:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

All is well!
View Quote

Stock market up (s it?)  
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:53:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Stock market up (s it?)  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All is well!

Stock market up (s it?)  

Unemployment is the lowest since Obama took office.

And everyone now has cheap,excellent healthcare as well.......................
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:57:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL.

When you are the World's Reserve Currency the rules are some what different.

Playing in US Dollars is vastly different than playing in Zim Dollars.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:59:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

LOL.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.

Yep,we don't have to add zeros to our money.

We keep the same money,it just takes more of them to buy shit.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:00:49 PM EDT
[#34]
if you think hyperinflation is coming go into as much debt as possible

Pay off that debt with hyperinflated $ = winning

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:05:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Jared Blikre

yeah ok bro

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Jared Blikre

yeah ok bro

Goddamn
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:07:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Repubs, they will throw a bottle of gas with a lit rag stuffed in it over their shoulder on the way out the door
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Repubs, they will throw a bottle of gas with a lit rag stuffed in it over their shoulder on the way out the door

Yep!   Been saying this for yrs!
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:07:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
if you think hyperinflation is coming go into as much debt as possible

Pay off that debt with hyperinflated $ = winning

View Quote

The banks will restructure the debt or replace the currency.  The congress and president will make it legal.  The Supreme Court will determine it is constitutional.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:08:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

All is well!
View Quote

The chocolate rations have been increased from 20 grams to 10 grams. Rejoice comrade!
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:10:05 PM EDT
[#39]
The fundamentals are all fucked up. They are keeping it patched together with duct tape and twine at this point.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:12:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.

An unacknowledged tax on the rest of the world.

Only the Fed (like it or not they are OUR bankers) can dick with the US dollar.

Everyone else in the entire world must deal with our currency manipulation because the US dollar is the World's Reserve Currency.

It is a sweet deal for us in the US.

Let's keep it this way.

Having the Ruble or the Yuan as the Reserve Currency would totally suck balls for the USA.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:36:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And we will continue to hear the income inequality crap, the $15/hr min wage crap, the "the working man just can't get ahead" crap until the next Bernie Sanders comes along and actually does get elected claiming that the only thing that can save the country is socialism. We will be Venezuela within 2 decades.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 10:09:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

yep

When I was young I thought the end was coming. Once I got older, I realized they have plenty of tricks to play to keep the game going.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep

When I was young I thought the end was coming. Once I got older, I realized they have plenty of tricks to play to keep the game going.

It's amazing it's lasted this long, but the reason diluting the currency has a limit is because it's debt-based. It's a distinction of unfair v. unsound. If gold was still money, and the Fed had a monopoly on it (like they do with dollars), it would actually be sound. The Fed couldn't just easily print gold; they would have to mine it.

Dollars are both unfair (whoever gets the new money first wins) and unsound (little or no cost to print another sheet of paper). This distinction is why all debt-based currencies collapse under their own weight (as explained in this video at 12:48): https://youtu.be/iFDe5kUUyT0?t=12m48s

The Fed (and by extension America) can do what it does at this point because the dollar is the world's reserve currency. This was nothing more than a trick played on the rest of the world. The faster they print, the faster the dollar dump will arrive. The rest of the world jumped in on the dollar bandwagon, they can just jump out.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 10:09:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Everyone else in the entire world must deal with our currency manipulation because the US dollar is the World's Reserve Currency.

Let's keep it this way.

Having the Ruble or the Yuan as the Reserve Currency would totally suck balls for the USA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.

Let's keep it this way.

It is a sweet deal for the U.S. Our standard of living is financed by the rest of the world. Such things are not meant to last forever.

The rules are somewhat different, but not in a good way for the U.S. Inflating all those dollars and exporting them only means that when the mechanism is reversed (confidence lost and dollar dumped), that many more dollars are going to flood into the U.S. like a tsunami. The financing we enjoyed will be reversed and then some. True, the rest of the world will hurt, too, because all their paper is backed by the dollar, but the U.S. is the worst offender, and will get the short end of the stick.

The Fed would love to keep the current situation at play for eternity, but still the debt-based nature of U.S. dollars will cause the rest of the world to replace their dollars when the debt overpowers the currency and confidence is lost.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 10:10:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

And we will continue to hear the income inequality crap, the $15/hr min wage crap, the "the working man just can't get ahead" crap until the next Bernie Sanders comes along and actually does get elected claiming that the only thing that can save the country is socialism. We will be Venezuela within 2 decades.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We are already in the slow grind. It's been happening for the past 30 or 40 years. They've exhausted every trick they have, and that's why interest rates cannot rise without a corresponding correction in the entire financial system.

It always goes slow, slow, slow, and then BAM! all the bending they did breaks the economic laws they tried to overpower. A case for why this major, catastrophic event will likely be during the term of the next U.S. President is made here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1862870_.html&page=1
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 10:51:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Looks like a possible rate high is on the horizon. The media ia chirping on the good economic news released.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It's amazing it's lasted this long, but the reason diluting the currency has a limit is because it's debt-based. It's a distinction of unfair v. unsound. If gold was still money, and the Fed had a monopoly on it (like they do with dollars), it would actually be sound. The Fed couldn't just easily print gold; they would have to mine it.

Dollars are both unfair (whoever gets the new money first wins) and unsound (little or no cost to print another sheet of paper). This distinction is why all debt-based currencies collapse under their own weight (as explained in this video at 12:48): https://youtu.be/iFDe5kUUyT0?t=12m48s

The Fed (and by extension America) can do what it does at this point because the dollar is the world's reserve currency. This was nothing more than a trick played on the rest of the world. The faster they print, the faster the dollar dump will arrive. The rest of the world jumped in on the dollar bandwagon, they can just jump out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep

Nice simple explanation in that video but most will not care.. I enjoyed Ron Paul's End The Fed and G. Edward Griffin's The Creature from Jekyll Island.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 11:36:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Zimbabwe hasn't fallen apart yet and the U.S. has far better printing presses.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 12:07:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Nice simple explanation in that video but most will not care.. I enjoyed Ron Paul's End The Fed and G. Edward Griffin's The Creature from Jekyll Island.
View Quote

Amazing how simple it is, huh?

People do not care right now, because right now everything seems fine. New ideas have no momentum at the moment, but they will. When we get South American-style rationing, people will be curious as to wtf is going on.

Perhaps there will be a national opportunity for spreading the word for a sound monetary market. Perhaps some of us will lead it :)
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 6:15:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Zimbabwe hasn't fallen apart yet and the U.S. has far better printing presses.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

WTF?  .  

Compared to what?      
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 6:18:43 PM EDT
[#50]
They just find a fork in the road, and kick it in another direction down another road

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top