Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2016 3:12:56 AM EDT
Lets make two assumptions:

Evolution is 100% real (to hopefully stave off that debate.)
Luck is defined as an [i]odds defying ability or inherent trait that allows for a mathematically impossible advantage[i/].
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:15:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Luck, as much as it may exist, is random.

So, no.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:15:40 AM EDT
[#2]
No.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:50:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Ringworld
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 4:06:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep.  Luck, chance or divine intervention.

When I was a kid, my brother held the family up to tie his shoes.  Five seconds later a carload of guys being chased by the Po-Po got airborne at an intersection we would have been in if not for loose shoe laces. Us boys all grew up, mated and made offspring... so there.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 4:29:35 AM EDT
[#5]
If evolution is real, it is already selecting luck as a factor.  Those that don't have a tree branch fall on them or get chased into a den full of angry lesbian bears by a swarm of killer bees tend to live longer and reproduce.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 4:36:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Teela Brown says yes.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 4:41:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Luck often enough will save a man, if his courage hold.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 4:48:14 AM EDT
[#8]
If luck were passed on genetically this world would be a very different place.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 4:48:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 4:53:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Its not luck. It is adjusting to make sure it works.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 4:57:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Luck is when opportunity meets preparation.  If you are not prepared for it, the opportunity is of no value to you.

You can control the preparation, so you can control a bit of the luck, so yes it can be an evolutionary factor.  Trouble is, opportunity, and what that opportunity is, is random so that negates it all but the more common cases. Still, the common cases are common for a reason (and knowing them would be part of the preparation).

Consider your ability to see the bigger picture in a society as your ability to perceive what an "opportunity" might be, that ability may certainly have a genetic component and therefore would be susceptible to evolution.

Trouble is, our government is trying to remove failure, and failure is as much a part of that evolution process as success (which they are trying to destroy).

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 5:44:39 AM EDT
[#12]
OP has read Ringworld.

FP has not.

I have no opinion.

To expound on Ringworld, If Teela Brown had genetic luck, and that luck forced her to go to a certain place and have certain things happen to her when she got there, it would mean that she had no free will.

So what would luck be?  How would it manifest itself?

To quote Mr. Spock, "Random factors of chance have operated in our favor" = "We got lucky".

But can you be unlucky at love but lucky with money, or at gambling?  If it's consistent is it really luck, or could you be reading the situation subconsciously and acting accordingly?

I've read that luck is a bonus to good preparation, nothing more.  All that means is that if you're prepared you can take advantage of a good situation that develops unexpectedly.

So the first thing to do is define "luck".  And good luck with that!
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 6:22:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Luck is when opportunity meets preparation.  If you are not prepared for it, the opportunity is of no value to you.
You can control the preparation, so you can control a bit of the luck, so yes it can be an evolutionary factor.  Trouble is, opportunity, and what that opportunity is, is random so that negates it all but the more common cases. Still, the common cases are common for a reason (and knowing them would be part of the preparation).
Consider your ability to see the bigger picture in a society as your ability to perceive what an "opportunity" might be, that ability may certainly have a genetic component and therefore would be susceptible to evolution.
Trouble is, our government is trying to remove failure, and failure is as much a part of that evolution process as success (which they are trying to destroy).

View Quote

NI
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 6:38:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Napoleon was reported to have said WTTE, "I don't need another smart General.  I've got lots of smart Generals.  Give me a lucky General."  And we all know how that turned out.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 6:49:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Darwin is your friend
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 7:03:56 AM EDT
[#16]
In the Larry Niven Sci-Fi Classic "Ringworld",  an attractive, but seemingly ditzy woman was chosen as a member of the crew by the alien race planning the mission, solely because unbeknownst to her,  she was a human that had been bred for luck over centuries, and the alien heading the mission felt having her onboard made the trip less likely to have a catastrophic end to the mission.  

Always thought that was an interesting plot quirk.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 7:08:19 AM EDT
[#17]
If luck actually existed, is it a biologically heritable trait that is passed from parent to offspring?

If so, then I guess, yes, hypothetically, it could be selected for.

If not, then no.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 7:26:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Luck is a result of effort.  Jefferson said that the harder he worked, the more luck he seemed to have.  When I was younger and chasing the poon, I had to work harder at it then some of my buds did yet every time I scored I would say I got lucky.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:24:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Teela Brown says yes.
View Quote

...and the puppeteers say WTF have we done???
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:44:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Luck is defined as an [i]odds defying ability or inherent trait that allows for a mathematically impossible advantage[i/].
View Quote

It's unnecessary to assume evolution is 100% real. What you're talking about is intra-species evolution, which has been proven to be real.

So, if luck is a real genetic trait, then it logically follows that it can be bred.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:49:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
But can you be unlucky at love but lucky with money, or at gambling?  If it's consistent is it really luck, or could you be reading the situation subconsciously and acting accordingly?

I've read that luck is a bonus to good preparation, nothing more.  All that means is that if you're prepared you can take advantage of a good situation that develops unexpectedly.
View Quote

My mother and one of her friends were habitual Bingo players. My mother rarely won. Her friend won consistently, almost every week. I don't know how one can prepare in any way to increase the odds of winning at Bingo.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:13:05 AM EDT
[#22]
I see luck as falling in with karma.

If you are a pleasant person that helps others, then you will be well liked and people will want to help you. IE good things seem to happen to you. Grumbling bitter assholes are not liked so they get less help, people have less sympathy for the that person's problems. Also that personality remembers the bad more than the good so it seems bad things are always happening. Now if this is true, then I am the most unluckiest person on Earth, and you kids get OFF MY LAWN.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:15:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:20:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Teela Brown says yes.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:03:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I don't believe in luck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I don't believe in luck.

I don't believe. Period.

However, "luck" -- as the term is generally used -- is real. As an example, I once was walking through a downtown area, and happened to find a $20 bill lying on the sidewalk. Good luck for me. Bad luck for whoever lost it.

I believe in karma. Do good things, follow the good/right path, and good things follow and happen.

Then why do bad things happen to good people?
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:20:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I believe in karma. Do good things, follow the good/right path, and good things follow and happen.

Even good people do bad things, and being good doesn't make you immune from bad things.

Karma is real, but it isn't a mystical, mythical force of balance.  It's similar to the intangible business asset known as goodwill.

John is about to trip over something, and face plant.  

If John is a good guy and most people like him, the odds that someone will prevent him from taking a fall go up.  

If John is a dickhead and most people don't like him, the odds that no one will do anything besides chuckle quietly go up.

Apply that basic concept to more complex social interactions, and more subtle events.

Karma.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:26:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Show me a "mathematically impossible" thing or event.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:34:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Show me a "mathematically impossible" thing or event.
View Quote

An equal distribution of no apples among no people?
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:36:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

By your definitions, yes.

I think that luck, as you define it, isn't real though.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Of course it is.  Everyone knows that you can't pass on your genes if you are unable to "get lucky."
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:22:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Even good people do bad things, and being good doesn't make you immune from bad things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If being good doesn't make you immune from bad things, then "karma" -- do good things, follow the good/right path, and good things follow and happen -- is a questionable concept.

Karma is real, but it isn't a mystical, mythical force of balance.  It's similar to the intangible business asset known as goodwill.

John is about to trip over something, and face plant.  

If John is a good guy and most people like him, the odds that someone will prevent him from taking a fall go up.  

If John is a dickhead and most people don't like him, the odds that no one will do anything besides chuckle quietly go up.

And if John is about to trip over something, and face plant, but no other people are near him, then it won't matter if he is a good guy, which again casts doubt on the idea of karma.

Apply that basic concept to more complex social interactions, and more subtle events.

So, at best, the concept of karma has only limited validity. It depends upon whether other people are aware of your good or bad behavior, as well as their reaction to it, but nature is either fickle in response to your behavior, or ignores it entirely.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top