Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:48:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Smog testing (here in WA) is IMHO a scheme to make some people rich.  

A simple example of the scenario.....

Consider this.  The state approved test cost $15 here in WA.  All they do is plug your vehicle into a high priced OBD computer.  Wasn't that flashing "check engine light" a big enough clue that something was amiss?

So, if you fail, you're suppose go to an "approved repair place" and spend at least $150 before you'll be granted an exemption (if they can't fix it).  

The approved repair place is not your average joe working at the corner garage or shop.   Who knows what they have to pay (kick back) in order to be on the "approved" list.

Anyway, most places will charge you at least $100 just to plug into their computer.  Yup, they need to plug your car into their computer before they'll start work.  Then add the O2 sensor cost (and labor) after being told for the second time, that it was your O2 sensor.  Cough, cough......someone has their finger up _________?  What a racket.  So, you get out of there with a bill for say $250 or more.  

Then, you need to head back to the test station where you'll be tested again (this time it's free).  I hope you pass this time.   But if you don't pass, you'll get the exemption because you've already spent more than $150 trying to pass.

If you tried fixing it yourself and don't pass, you'll have to try again and re-test.  No exemptions for you.  Yup, you'll have to pay for all subsequent test(s).  Until you pass.  You see, you don't have a receipt from an approved repair station.

Meanwhile, in the next county over where smog testing is not required.......no one cares.

Doesn't the smog go up into the air and travel across that imaginary county line (state line)?

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:54:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
snip
Meanwhile, in a nearby county where smog testing is not required.......no one cares.

Doesn't the smog go up into the air and travel across that imaginary county line (state line)?

Aloha, Mark
View Quote

I love living on the dry side where we don't have to fuck with that smog testing!
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:56:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Lemmings.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:57:18 AM EDT
[#4]
South central IL here, no notification.  Believe this to be a Chi-town boondoggle, as usual.  Never been smog tested.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:59:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I love living on the dry side where we don't have to fuck with that smog testing!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip
Meanwhile, in a nearby county where smog testing is not required.......no one cares.

Aloha, Mark

Not in Spokane, I take it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:59:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
South central IL here, no notification.  Believe this to be a Chi-town boondoggle, as usual.  Never been smog tested.
View Quote

I think it's DuPage and Cook County.  I lived in LaSalle Co, and we didn't have smog testing.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:59:58 AM EDT
[#7]
They have it in my county.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:01:19 AM EDT
[#8]
It's a fucking scam. Pretty sure we can thank CA for this steaming pile of shit too.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:09:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I dont have to deal with that shit here.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:14:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Denver started doing this bullshit some years ago, and has slowly been forcing it on the rest of the state.  Its complete bullshit too, a way of extorting funds to pay for their epic pollution  problems.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:32:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

Aloha, Mark

I live in Pierce County and I don't have to fuck with emissions testing either. Not because I have a newer car but somehow rural Pierce County must not count towards emissions totals

I'll take it either way. No emissions, no Sound Transit levies....
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:59:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I think it's DuPage and Cook County.  I lived in LaSalle Co, and we didn't have smog testing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Madison and St. Clair County down state also as well.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 2:04:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Florida for the win. We don't have smog checks, emissions tests, vehicle safety inspection, etc....

Hell, I hear that even Good Old Free Texas has some bullshit sticker shit that goes on the windshield for some inspection bullshit.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 2:56:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I live in Pierce County and I don't have to fuck with emissions testing either. Not because I have a newer car but somehow rural Pierce County must not count towards emissions totals   I'll take it either way. No emissions, no Sound Transit levies....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Aloha, Mark

I live in Pierce County and I don't have to fuck with emissions testing either. Not because I have a newer car but somehow rural Pierce County must not count towards emissions totals   I'll take it either way. No emissions, no Sound Transit levies....

Even parts of CA don't have bi-annual emissions testing - only done upon sale. Bi-annual amissions testing is based on air quality in the given area - rural areas with good wind vs LA basin......
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 2:58:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Emmisions tests?

Inspections?

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:15:01 AM EDT
[#16]

There was a time when every vehicle in the state had to be certified as safe, but back in 1981 Governor Bob Graham did away with state inspections. He cited costs and long wait times.

"The way the program ran years ago was the wrong way to do it," said Terry Wynter. His auto service center is across the street from Waterman Broadcasting and what used to be Lee County's only inspection station.

"It would back up three blocks down the road," Wynter remembered.

He is a member of the Automotive Service Association. The group is pushing for states, like Florida, to bring back annual inspections.

"On a daily basis, we see cars coming in here with no brakes, bad tires, emission system failure," Wynter said. "People are letting 'em go."

While state inspections would benefit Wynter and other mechanics, he says public safety is at stake.

"A lot of people all they think about is the money they're going to have to spend on it, but the first thing is safety," Wynter said from his business on Fowler street.

It is all about the money. Damn mechanic just wanted the state to drum up business for him.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#17]
They have it in CO, newer cars and trucks are exempt, but I see enough beaters trailing a 1/4 mile smoke cloud that I wonder how they even implement it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:17:58 AM EDT
[#18]
We have emissions in the 13 metro Atlanta counties.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:19:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Florida for the win. We don't have smog checks, emissions tests, vehicle safety inspection, etc....  

Hell, I hear that even Good Old Fres Texas has some bullshit sticker shit that goes on the windshield for some inspection bullshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Hell, I hear that even Good Old Fres Texas has some bullshit sticker shit that goes on the windshield for some inspection bullshit.

We did, at least in Dade county in the mid 90's.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:22:13 AM EDT
[#20]
They only have one station in the whole city?  

There are over a dozen in my town that is 1/4 of the size of Naperville, IL.  Longest line I've ever been in was one car in front of me.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:22:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Must be a Chicago thing. We don't have that around here, sounds like quite the scam.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:31:31 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Consider this.  The state approved test cost $15 here in WA.  All they do is plug your vehicle into a high priced OBD computer.  Wasn't that flashing "check engine light" a big enough clue that something was amiss?

So, if you fail, you're suppose go to an "approved repair place" and spend at least $150 before you'll be granted an exemption (if they can't fix it).  

The approved repair place is not your average joe working at the corner garage or shop.   Who knows what they have to pay (kick back) in order to be on the "approved" list.

Anyway, most places will charge you at least $100 just to plug into their computer.  Yup, they need to plug your car into their computer before they'll start work.  Then add the O2 sensor cost (and labor) after being told for the second time, that it was your O2 sensor.  Cough, cough......someone has their finger up _________?  What a racket.  So, you get out of there with a bill for say $250 or more.  

Then, you need to head back to the test station where you'll be tested again (this time it's free).  I hope you pass this time.   But if you don't pass, you'll get the exemption because you've already spent more than $150 trying to pass.

If you tried fixing it yourself and don't pass, you'll have to try again and re-test.  No exemptions for you.  Yup, you'll have to pay for all subsequent test(s).  Until you pass.  You see, you don't have a receipt from an approved repair station.

Meanwhile, in the next county over where smog testing is not required.......no one cares.

Aloha, Mark

View Quote

Yep, they used to do it here in Florida. But once we realized it was just a scam to tax us, we got rid of it.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:33:30 AM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:38:13 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Must be a Chicago thing. We don't have that around here, sounds like quite the scam.
View Quote

I'm in Metro Atlanta, so we have to get tested.  The thing about it that pisses me off the most is that the vehicles that are the worst polluters are usually exempt from testing.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:39:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:42:07 AM EDT
[#26]
I just remote-started my Mustang with catless headers for a couple of moments in honor of our fallen Illinois brethen.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:43:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It's your own damn fault for letting Calfornia pass your state or local laws.

In the 1960's and 1970's prior to the air regulations there were dozens and dozens of days a year where it was unsafe to venture outside - unfucking safe due to the pollution levels. Not so much now. I've only been here 15 years now and the population had continued to skyrocket like it has the last 50 years. There are more cars on the roads than ever before and I have to admit, I breath the air here on a regular basis. Not all the regulations are as good as the others but I do enjoy being able to go outside every day. People aren't going to take care of their cars unless mandated and if that means the government has to mandate minimum levels of quality then I'm fine with that. Kind of falls in with eat, sleep, and shit regulations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a fucking scam. Pretty sure we can thank CA for this steaming pile of shit too.

In the 1960's and 1970's prior to the air regulations there were dozens and dozens of days a year where it was unsafe to venture outside - unfucking safe due to the pollution levels. Not so much now. I've only been here 15 years now and the population had continued to skyrocket like it has the last 50 years. There are more cars on the roads than ever before and I have to admit, I breath the air here on a regular basis. Not all the regulations are as good as the others but I do enjoy being able to go outside every day. People aren't going to take care of their cars unless mandated and if that means the government has to mandate minimum levels of quality then I'm fine with that. Kind of falls in with eat, sleep, and shit regulations.

That was good.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:45:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, Duval also
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:45:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
They have it in CO, newer cars and trucks are exempt, but I see enough beaters trailing a 1/4 mile smoke cloud that I wonder how they even implement it.
View Quote

Many counties in CO don't have emissions testing.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

CARB arseoles wanted me to have Toyota have my FJ Cruiser smog checked in Michigan to make sure they [Toyota] were compliant. Toyota wanted to take it to Ann Arbor and run it on their stand a couple hours. Bwa HAHAHAHAHA, F off.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:48:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:49:54 AM EDT
[#32]
SC is full
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:50:32 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Emmisions tests?

Inspections?

View Quote
One of many reasons why I want to move to Montana

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:52:29 AM EDT
[#34]
At least in IL, they don't charge for the emissions test. It's only for vehicles 4 years and older, I believe.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:54:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Back when SC had vehicle inspections, I tipped a guy who was a registered inspector for timely and courteous service.  I'm surprised he didn't notice my busted out tail light or the hole in my exhaust and charge me to fix them.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:54:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Just buy a VW diesel, guaranteed to pass smog.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:54:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Back when SC had vehicle inspections, I tipped a guy who was a registered inspector for timely and courteous service.  I'm surprised he didn't notice my busted out tail light or the hole in my exhaust and charge me to fix them.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:55:12 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hell, I hear that even Good Old Free Texas has some bullshit sticker shit that goes on the windshield for some inspection bullshit.

I remember, and the State told them to knock it off.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:55:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Aloha, Mark
View Quote

In GA you have to spend $850+ IIRC in smog related repairs before they'll exempt it, and the car has to be 20 years old.  My F150 is one year from exemption, runs perfect but has a CEL for a lean code that I haven't been able to pin down. I've spent $1100 dollars at 3 different mechanics and no one has been able to find the issue.  

At this point I just sell it to a friend when I need to drive it
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:59:28 AM EDT
[#40]
So I assume all those cars were probably running the whole time?

Talk about a carbon foot print.

And that's stupid for the state to run one fucking station, here in Austin the service stations or stand alone privately owned inspection shops do it. There is probably 20 places within two miles of my house I can go to.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't live in areas with mountain ranges and valleys. Florida doesn't have this problem because we're flat and the ocean breeze pushes shit out.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:02:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Rough looking news anchor.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:03:55 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote
That was the issue in Florida. Well, that and the mechanics scamming folks that didn't bribe the inspectors.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:04:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Wasn't there a story posted hers like a month ago about some can't of a cop or constable ticketing people with expired inspection stickers while in line for inspection?
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:04:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
At least in IL, they don't charge for the emissions test. It's only for vehicles 4 years and older, I believe.

View Quote

....yet......
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:05:32 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

So I assume all those cars were probably running the whole time?

Talk about a carbon foot print.

And that's stupid for the state to run one fucking station, here in Austin the service stations or stand alone privately owned inspection shops do it. There is probably 20 places within two miles of my house I can go to.
View Quote
So when is Texas outlawing this bullshit?

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:05:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Would not live in an area with vehicle inspections.  Would not live under a HOA.  People love to be ruled I guess. Not me.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:07:00 AM EDT
[#48]

New Hampshire is considered a free state but we also have auto inspections yearly.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Aloha, Mark
View Quote

Yes, your liberal cesspool's toxic cocktail of pollution does cross the imaginary line into the pristine clean air of the sparsely populated conservative counties of WA.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:31:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

That was good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was good.

Yeah, but it's true. I grew up in the San Fernando Valley in the sixties and can remember looking east in the morning and seeing a "smog bank" sitting over Burbank and Glendale. In high school, I can remember watching the smog tumble in over the hills into the Santa Clarita Valley, and just before retirement I can remember entering Simi Valley and literally noticing how the colors changed from brownish to more blue as I came home. The air really has improved over all. Some places are worse because of population, but over all, it's better. Now I live in Prescott and I'm pretty sure we're still rated as having the cleanest air around. It's windy as all get out though. I'm pretty sure my smog is in Albuquerque.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top