Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2016 7:10:13 AM EDT

http://www.timesreporter.com/news/20160523/hispanic-students-parents-sue-dover-city-schools-alleging-discrimination

Posted May 23, 2016 at 9:33 AM
Updated May 23, 2016 at 4:31 PM

DOVER Several members of the local Hispanic community are suing Dover City Schools because they want a good education for their children, says the head of the Ohio Immigrant Worker Project.

"The parents want to have an education that meet standards that are non-discriminatory and gives these students a chance for academic excellence," said Jeff Stewart, director of the Canton-based organization. "They are not getting that now."

The lawsuit was filed May 16 in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, Eastern Division. Plaintiffs are the Ohio Immigrant Worker Project; Ruperto Itzep Toc and Ana Ceto Raymundo, parents of students in Dover City Schools; and Dennis Hernandez Gonzalez and Francisco Brito Brito, who are students.

Dover City Schools and Superintendent Carla Birney are named as defendants.

The lawsuit alleges that the school district segregates Hispanic students during class hours and lunch periods and does not provide them with adequate services and support to learn English and substantive academic content.

"This has resulted in Limited English Proficient immigrant children failing to advance their skills in English, earn credits toward graduation commensurate with the time they have attended school and practices that encourage drop-outs or transfers," the lawsuit stated.

Stewart said his organization got involved in the case because of complaints it has received from students, parents and teachers in the district.

He said there are an array of issues at Dover schools, and the common denominator is ethnicity and national origin.

"We believe they are being discriminated against," he said of the students. "The students believe they are being discriminated against."

The group has not heard from Dover school officials. "We're more than willing to sit down and talk with them," he said.

In response to the lawsuit, Birney said in an email to The T-R, "Following district policy and on advice of legal counsel, we don't discuss any pending litigation."

But she did take exception to one quote attributed to her in the lawsuit.

According to the lawsuit, Birney is accused of saying, "These children do not need to know a lot of English, only the difference between the words mop and broom."

"On a personal level, I feel it is important to respond and make clear that I never said the quote that has been attributed to me," the superintendent said Monday.

Stewart, in the lawsuit, has accused Birney of making the statement in front of several individuals. "We stand by the lawsuit. We will be glad to have people testify about those issues."

The lawsuit also stated that Birney made the comment while she was principal of Dover High School. But she has never held that position.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:29:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Hispanics want their children to learn English in school.
Don't speak a word of English in the home.

Hhmmmmm....
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:38:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Ha! The white kids at Dover High School can barely speak English!Seriously though, some of the worst, unqualified, lazy teachers work there.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:52:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Senco, you local?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:45:25 AM EDT
[#4]
What are the Hispanic parents complaining aobut?  Not only are kids nationwide dumbed down via Kommunist Kore, but they're both undernourished and malnourished via Wookie meals.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:04:13 AM EDT
[#5]
people should sue for schools being overrun by illegals
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:13:38 AM EDT
[#6]
My understanding is that Dover did not provide enough English classes at the upper class levels for snowflake.

Snowflake's parents migrate into Dover when he is a freshman.  Snowflake no habla ingles!  Snowflake no comprehende matho because no habla ingles!  Snowflake somehow graduates and now snowflake's parents sue...

I live in Dover but I send my kids to private Catholic schools.  The Catholic schools have minorities also, they seem to excel in our classrooms.

This will be a blow to Dover as they have been pushing building a new school for years, keeps coming up on the ballot but fails...

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:55:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:He said there are an array of issues at Dover schools, and the common denominator is ethnicity and national origin.
View Quote

So the Hispanic kids who are fluent in English must all have the same issues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top