Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2016 4:34:42 AM EDT
From "The Straight Dope:"

Also, for you young'uns who continue to wallow in your blissful ignorance, let me introduce you to Cecil Adams' "The Straight Dope." Started in a Chicago alternative newspaper, TSD has actually striven for decades to provide intelligent and truthful (if a little snarky) answers to many of the questions you have. Seriously, if you break a hip, you can go to TSD and spend hours, days even, just perusing the secrets of the universe.

Cecil has a staff of investigators who look this stuff up. Ever want to know if cockroaches will really survive a nuclear war? Ever want to know the truth behind the lyrics of "Looie Looie?" Ever want to know why some radio broadcasts are in Esperanto? Look to Cecil, it's very likely he's answered the question before. Long before Snopes.com ever opened its IRL, The Straight Dope strove to fight ignorance through the might of the pen.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 4:38:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 4:43:26 AM EDT
[#2]
It's a conspiracy to keep the white man down.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 4:52:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Ed Zotti.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 4:59:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't understand how they get the financial backing,
especially when an average man only wants to pay 85 cents for a Pepsi.
" />
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 5:07:02 AM EDT
[#5]
You don't think they use their money to start that business do you?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 5:19:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://<a href=http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/bearsvaluebaby/MOODS/michaeldouglas.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

85 cents? That doesn't leave enough for the phone call.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 5:23:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You don't think they use their money to start that business do you?
View Quote

I would guess their countrymen, perhaps through 'benevolent' associations here and in the old country, provide at least part of the financing.

ETA - just read the actual article. Turns out this is correct, in part....

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:13:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Same way Indians buy all the franchised hotels--the first one builds it to spec for a decent hotel,then sells it to a family member still in their home country--who then gets to go to the front of the line with the entire next set of family members.... ALL with US State Dept.

subsidized dollars.....This is why so many of the older hotels are all run-down pieces of s.....Literally stayed at one last week where the 5 rooms on the end emptied at 7:20 as they took over 30 kids of Indian or Pakistani origin to a bus stop in front of the hotel..
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:15:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Lenders and investors know they're a safe bet... they'll protect their shit.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:16:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Minority loans and special financing for "special people "
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:17:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Ethnic syndicate seed money loans.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:28:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Good articl.  I wasn't aware about that aspect of Korean culture.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:34:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Way more dogs and msg available in this country.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:38:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Same way Indians buy all the franchised hotels--the first one builds it to spec for a decent hotel,then sells it to a family member still in their home country--who then gets to go to the front of the line with the entire next set of family members.... ALL with US State Dept.

subsidized dollars
.....This is why so many of the older hotels are all run-down pieces of s.....Literally stayed at one last week where the 5 rooms on the end emptied at 7:20 as they took over 30 kids of Indian or Pakistani origin to a bus stop in front of the hotel..
View Quote

huh?  Are you another one of those "immigrants get special money from the gov't when they come here" types?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:43:05 AM EDT
[#15]
The fundraising club thing is real.  With a big enough group and a long enough cycle, waiting your turn is well worth it.  

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:48:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
http://<a href=http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/bearsvaluebaby/MOODS/michaeldouglas.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

50 cents. Mr. Lee was charging 85 cents, but that didn't leave him enough for the phone call. He offered 50 cents.

Mr. Lee refused, so D-Fens rolled back prices to 1965.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:48:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Koreans are awesome people and America needs more of them to move here.

They are tough and don't expect handouts.  They come to the U.S. with virtually nothing, but are sending their kids to medical school within a generation, living in big houses and driving luxury cars they fully paid for.

Most of the world could learn a thing or two about NOT COMPLAINING from the Korean culture.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:55:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes--I AM one of those types--a local attorney SPECIALIZES in setting these up...He gets a cut from both sides.  Any other facts you don't know that you have an issue with?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:56:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Grow not borrow your business. It may not be the instant rags to riches everyone wants but being debt free and far less likely to file bankruptcy is smart.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#20]
The 5 years of tax breaks for a small business is a nice incentive. At the end of the 5 years, they just sell it to the next person in line for their 5 years and move on to something else. There was a family that owned the stop-n-rob on the corner for a coupe iterations of this. They were super nice and the place was ultra clean.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:57:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Same way all the Indians (dot not feather) own all the gas stations here in dfw. And I have no idea how.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:01:06 AM EDT
[#22]

Shit.  

The father of one of my best friends came over with one of those Baptist rescue groups some 40 years ago.  His town offered only the brightest and hardest working of them the opportunity to move stateside.  A combination of Korean extended family and civic donations helped him open up his first dry cleaners.  

My friend described how they chose the location:  a big ass, hard bound directory of dry cleaners in the US.  He selected a suburb outside of G'boro, NC that wasn't represented on that list and went to it.  Han cut to the chase and named it exactly what it was - $2.75 Dry Cleaners.

Ten years of 70+ hour work weeks and he sold the first one for a cool million.  He owned 8 locations when he passed of lung cancer.  Whether or not there were any subsidies, I can't say for sure.  But I can say that that man employed a lot of locals, was active in his church and community and worked harder than any single person I've ever met.

R.I.P. Han Chong

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:02:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Same way all the Indians (dot not feather) own all the gas stations here in dfw. And I have no idea how.
View Quote

it's very simple, we are getting the very best of their people. the 0.1% at the top of a society who will always do well no matter where they are.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:03:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Koreans are awesome people and America needs more of them to move here.

They are tough and don't expect handouts.  They come to the U.S. with virtually nothing, but are sending their kids to medical school within a generation, living in big houses and driving luxury cars they fully paid for.

Most of the world could learn a thing or two about NOT COMPLAINING from the Korean culture.
View Quote

I'm incredibly jealous of the scenario you are speaking of.  I'm very sad that my parents couldn't 'figure it out' to set their kids up, but at least they fumbled around and 'sort of tried' to.  

Concur that the Koreans have their shit together, proper.

Oh wait, did I complain there?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top