Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I think God just hates one particular state more then the others.

His hate seems to radiate from there.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 7:02:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

De-sal takes a lot of energy.    

Too bad there wasn't a clean, abundant energy source that could be used to power de-sal either through electricity or heat from co-generation. *coughnuclear*

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If only they had a coast line that was surrounded by 1,200 miles of water and DE-salination technology existed.... oh wait.

Too bad there wasn't a clean, abundant energy source that could be used to power de-sal either through electricity or heat from co-generation. *coughnuclear*

Nuclear energy is dangerous. Nevermind that about 50 people have ever died, world wide, from civilian nuclear energy production. It's too dangerous!
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:10:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Nuclear energy is dangerous. Nevermind that about 50 people have ever died, world wide, from civilian nuclear energy production. It's too dangerous!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If only they had a coast line that was surrounded by 1,200 miles of water and DE-salination technology existed.... oh wait.

I forgot to think of the children.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:13:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Fuck California.
View Quote

Huh...
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:16:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Huh...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck California.

Huh...
CARB compliance.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:18:38 PM EDT
[#6]
most of CA's reservoirs are at pretty healthy levels after the El Nino rains...

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/products/rescond.pdf
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:18:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Was there in Nov.
bad stuff
Hope they figure something out...
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:20:18 PM EDT
[#8]
It's been raining non stop in PA (and the northeast for that matter) for the past month or so.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:22:50 PM EDT
[#9]
If you build a city in the dessert, you deserve what you get.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:29:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/data/pngs/20160517/20160517_usdm_home.png
View Quote

Our drought broke with a vengeance a few years ago, yet this thing says we're abnormally dry to moderate drought.  Our local water reservoirs have been at 90-100% for a few years now.  

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:30:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Vegas has literally nothing to do with it.  The entire state of Nevada only gets a ~2% allotment of water distributed from the Colorado river.  Vegas could disappear entirely and it would almost be meaningless to the water problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_River_Compact
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Was out at Hoover earlier this year. It was pretty fucking depressing. Last time I was there as a kid, they almost had water tripping the spillways it was so high.

This time?  Hundreds and hundreds of feet low.  You could see parts of the lake bed that probably hadn't been exposed since the dam was filled.

Meanwhile Vegas had exponentially increased in size, go figure.

Vegas has literally nothing to do with it.  The entire state of Nevada only gets a ~2% allotment of water distributed from the Colorado river.  Vegas could disappear entirely and it would almost be meaningless to the water problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_River_Compact
THANK YOU.  Fucking hell, every fucking time this topic comes back up, someone half-wittedly tries to blame Vegas with no knowledge to back up their spouting off.

Not to mention that Vegas is pretty damn good at reclaiming what it does use.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:46:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Screw the State of California. No, we don't want to send our water there, by aqueduct or otherwise, because if it interests California's moronic progressive shitheads now, it ends up eventually screwing us all over. It would be absolutely stupid to send water there, because the Fed would be involved (interstate commerce or some other bullcrap), and politicians would sell the rights away for votes. We "backward rednecks" in the South would be rationing water in the flood zone, while the authoritarian elites would be filling their Olympic-sized backyard swimming pools out in Hollywood.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:55:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Lets go get that B-29
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:56:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Fuck California.
View Quote

Fuck the Federal Government
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:57:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

welp, lake tahoe sure has a lot of water in right now then last summer.
View Quote

In English?

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:03:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

How about don't build a city in the middle of a fucking desert?
View Quote
You mean the whole of Southern California, right?

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:06:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

If you build a city in the dessert, you deserve what you get.
View Quote
Come cry to me next time your neighbors get flooded out.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:21:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They could have some of ours...
View Quote

Fuck no, I'd rather see it drain into the Chesapeake Bay first.

Live in what supposed to be a fucking desert and you get what you get.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:33:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Live in what supposed to be a fucking desert hurricane track, flood plain. tornado alley and you get what you get.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They could have some of ours...

Live in what supposed to be a fucking desert hurricane track, flood plain. tornado alley and you get what you get.
Let's all move to your house.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:39:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

welp, lake tahoe sure has a lot of water in right now then last summer.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:43:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Well... when you convert a desert into a farmland/metropolis , things like this happen.

What is it? 1.2 Gallons of water per almond, 4.5 per walnut.. of course Michael Moore, that peice of shit Zuckerberg and the rest of the Ivory tower libs keep green lawns and pay the minor tickets if any...

Hey serfs... don't flush your toilets, if its yellow let it mellow man..

that aquifer is getting drained quickly too.

not my problem.  I can see Lake Michigan from my deck.
View Quote

You keep your grubby cheese hooks off Lake Michigan, it belongs to us.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:47:14 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Our drought broke with a vengeance a few years ago, yet this thing says we're abnormally dry to moderate drought.  Our local water reservoirs have been at 90-100% for a few years now.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They use several factors to calculate the drought index, including soil moisture, precipitation, etc.  It's supposedly a more complete picture than just measuring rainfall, but it sometimes doesn't make sense when compared to current conditions.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:48:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

That's actually waaaay better than it was at this time last year.  The brown "exceptional" color covered almost the entire West.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:25:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:46:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I didn't realize Lake Mead was larger than the great lakes, as it's apparently the largest US water reservoir.
View Quote

At full level, it's not even 1/10th the size of the smallest of the Great Lakes.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 1:57:32 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Why doesn't CA build a large pipeline from Northern CA to Southern CA to support the desert farming?  

On that note... Why not link Shasta into the pipes that come from Lake Mead, then run all the pumps in reverse to fill Mead?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

most of CA's reservoirs are at pretty healthy levels after the El Nino rains...

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/products/rescond.pdf

Why doesn't CA build a large pipeline from Northern CA to Southern CA to support the desert farming?  

On that note... Why not link Shasta into the pipes that come from Lake Mead, then run all the pumps in reverse to fill Mead?

There already are large aqueducts stealing the water from the north

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 2:01:59 AM EDT
[#27]
be thankful that CA isn't experiencing one of it's not so uncommon 200 year droughts

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 2:15:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Just out there last weekend, lake's pretty low, what they don't tell you is Powell hasn't released what they have been holding back. After the melt lake levels will come back up a little. My pools still full though all that matters the heats almost here.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 2:44:01 AM EDT
[#29]
I don't think we'll ever see Mead completely full ever again. But the rains will return back to California, and probably with a vengeance, but no one will learn anything from the drought.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 3:23:49 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I don't think we'll ever see Mead completely full ever again. But the rains will return back to California, and probably with a vengeance, but no one will learn anything from the drought.
View Quote
I disagree.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 3:23:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Different watersheds?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 4:01:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well... when you convert a desert into a farmland/metropolis , things like this happen.
What is it? 1.2 Gallons of water per almond, 4.5 per walnut.. of course Michael Moore, that peice of shit Zuckerberg and the rest of the Ivory tower libs keep green lawns and pay the minor tickets if any...
Hey serfs... don't flush your toilets, if its yellow let it mellow man..
that aquifer is getting drained quickly too.
not my problem.  I can see Lake Michigan from my deck.

No worries, just like the pump it to Ca. BS won't happen.  The enviro NAZIs up here by us have done an arguably good/bad thing.  http://www.greatlakes.org/compact

We have a town that should be part of Milwaukee, geographically it is, sans the fact its on the wrong side of the water shed (drains in theory to the Mississippi) and has lots of groundwater.

They won't even let them tap into it.   (of course Nestle is on the Mi. side bottling their asses off.)

In short if it doesn't go back into the Great Lakes, it doesn't come out of the Great Lakes.  (unless you are Nestle. )
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 4:56:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Love me some MN

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 5:11:12 AM EDT
[#34]
What in hell are you talking about? If you put the water from lake mead into the GL it would be like pissing into lake mead.
Quoted:
I didn't realize Lake Mead was larger than the great lakes, as it's apparently the largest US water reservoir.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 5:46:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Interesting map.  It shows an area in Georgia as being "abnormally dry", except by the end of April we had received 16" of rain.  The average rainfall over the last 30 years by the end of April in this area?  16.11".  We average 2.72" of rainfall in May, and have easily passed 6" thus far for the month (we had 3+ inches last Saturday).    
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:55:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Interesting map.  It shows an area in Georgia as being "abnormally dry", except by the end of April we had received 16" of rain.  The average rainfall over the last 30 years by the end of April in this area?  16.11".  We average 2.72" of rainfall in May, and have easily passed 6" thus far for the month (we had 3+ inches last Saturday).    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think of it in terms of refilling auqafiers, retained moisture in the ground, etc. Lots of rainfall just runs off into the rivers and lakes instead of soaking into the ground. I know this isn't the correct terminology, but if the ground can't absorb the water, quickly enough, the moisture that is in the soil will dry up quicker.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:59:23 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

What in hell are you talking about? If you put the water from lake mead into the GL it would be like pissing into lake mead.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He was being sarcastic.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:00:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

At full level, it's not even 1/10th the size of the smallest of the Great Lakes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, it was a joke

res·er·voir
'rez?r?vwär/
noun
a large natural or artificial lake used as a source of water supply.
synonyms:pool, pond;

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:06:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Think of it in terms of refilling aquifers, retained moisture in the ground, etc. Lots of rainfall just runs off into the rivers and lakes instead of soaking into the ground. I know this isn't the correct terminology, but if the ground can't absorb the water, quickly enough, the moisture that is in the soil will dry up quicker.
View Quote

funny side note;  one of my leftist professors went on and on about dams being bad (nevermind most were a result of the commie FDR's failed public works program), yadda yadda, Salmon spawn, Colorado river just a trickle when it hits Mexico ( I said out loud who cares about Mexico, the water fell here) , some goofy shit about screwing up the earths rotation.. ...

I asked her... what happens if we take out the dams to the already depleted aquifers?  don't the bodies of water created by the dams help refill them?

Her face went puzzled, she had never considered it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top