User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:16:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'd be like: Sorry - he, and all of you with him can go eat a big bag of dicks on the golf course if you don't like it.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is standard Secret Service stuff for any POTUS visit.

I'd be like: Sorry - he, and all of you with him can go eat a big bag of dicks on the golf course if you don't like it.  

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:21:20 PM EDT
[#2]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They were FOS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j0eJ0xB7LU

Despite the fact they were shooting blanks, I did not
Minigun makes it move
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:22:51 PM EDT
[#3]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They were FOS.

yeah.....and?

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:24:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I was told this both by the one TSA agent they had there (tiny airport), as well as the little old man in the control tower (when they let my son go up there and check it out).  I don't doubt that they thought that's what it was, if it wasn't.  I don't recall if it was FBHO or GWB.  My brain has been full for quite some time, and stuff gets pushed out the other ear.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They were FOS.

I was told this both by the one TSA agent they had there (tiny airport), as well as the little old man in the control tower (when they let my son go up there and check it out).  I don't doubt that they thought that's what it was, if it wasn't.  I don't recall if it was FBHO or GWB.  My brain has been full for quite some time, and stuff gets pushed out the other ear.

Neither of which knows crap from Crisco when it comes to PPD.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:25:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote

How long did you work there?

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:30:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
When sen. Obama visited Jalalabad in July 2008 I had a loaded m4 about 15 feet from him.
View Quote

That's got to be hard to live with.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:38:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

One of my cousins was in the Guard and was sent with her rifle to babysit an airport with no ammo.

I was halfway tempted to drive the four hours to deliver a couple full mags to her.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
As I recall they weren't allowed live ammo when guarding the airports after 9/11 either. It's about photo ops, not security.

I had one full may for my M16 and one for my 92f. Don't know where not having ammo came from

One of my cousins was in the Guard and was sent with her rifle to babysit an airport with no ammo.

I was halfway tempted to drive the four hours to deliver a couple full mags to her.

Why?  It was all just for show.  That was pretty obvious right from the start.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:46:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I once talked to a guy from a different unit. He told me about some other unit that was deploying to Iraq and weren't taking ammunition or magazines. I don't remember the whole specifics, but supposedly the unit was going into hostile action but was more afraid of their own soldiers than possibly fighting in combat.

Just prior to my arrival at my unit in July 2002. George W Bush was visiting and speaking on Post. My Battalion pulled security on one of the motorcade routes, which is, guys with M4s were in the prone on the side of the road, pulling "security". But all their M4s were empty and without any magazines. They weren't allowed to be loaded.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:54:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Only the Praetorians may be armed in Caesar's august presence.
View Quote

This.  Of course, vetted LEOs are allowed to be armed too.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 6:01:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Makes sense. If you were the agent of an enemy nation posing as a soldier would be perfect cover to walk around armed. Pretty common idea in those old WWII commando movies. And there were at least a few cases of insurgents dressing up as Iraqi army to infiltrate bases. Not surprised the SS would only want people they have recently verified to be armed.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 6:23:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It has been done for at least every President since Carter.  Maybe/probably earlier.
View Quote

It has been documented when FDR visited American Troops in North Africa during World War II.  1942.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 6:46:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Yup...

I often here my fellow Canadian Vets complaining about our gun laws saying stuff like "I'm trusted or was trusted to carry a gun when I was in the Armed Forces, but as can civilian I'm not..?"

Newsflash... You weren't "trusted", you were "used" to carry those weapons.

For fuks sake I recall shooting a 3 gun match at Ft. Benning GA.  a few years ago...

I as a dirty foreigner was alowed to trapse all over the place with my AR, pistol, shotgun and all my ammo... The service men and women who lived and worked on the base... Not so much

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dog and pony show for the masses. Lol. They don't actually give a shit about the folks down range.

Yup...

I often here my fellow Canadian Vets complaining about our gun laws saying stuff like "I'm trusted or was trusted to carry a gun when I was in the Armed Forces, but as can civilian I'm not..?"

Newsflash... You weren't "trusted", you were "used" to carry those weapons.

For fuks sake I recall shooting a 3 gun match at Ft. Benning GA.  a few years ago...

I as a dirty foreigner was alowed to trapse all over the place with my AR, pistol, shotgun and all my ammo... The service men and women who lived and worked on the base... Not so much

You didn't read the instructions closely - Ft. Benning allows you to bring weapons on base for competitions, but you are ONLY allowed to go to the shooting venue, you are not allowed to go anywhere else on post with those weapons.  The people who live on base can have weapons in their homes (unless they live in barracks), but not carry them.   I know there is some provision for the AMU shooters to transport weapons, as well, but probably directly to the AMU HQ and from there to the ranges they use.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 6:51:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I once talked to a guy from a different unit. He told me about some other unit that was deploying to Iraq and weren't taking ammunition or magazines. I don't remember the whole specifics, but supposedly the unit was going into hostile action but was more afraid of their own soldiers than possibly fighting in combat.  

Just prior to my arrival at my unit in July 2002. George W Bush was visiting and speaking on Post. My Battalion pulled security on one of the motorcade routes, which is, guys with M4s were in the prone on the side of the road, pulling "security". But all their M4s were empty and without any magazines. They weren't allowed to be loaded.

View Quote

I know of a Reserve headquarters unit from Georgia that deployed in 2002 to Kuwait without magazines or ammunition, but it wasn't out of any fears of their own soldiers, just pure incompetence on the part of the supply officer, he seemed to think they would be able to draw supplies when they arrived in country, he also failed to bring other necessary clothing and gear.

Many years back, in the GHB years, I made a Class VI run at the local Air Force base, and was surprised that they checked my ID instead of just waving through my sticker like usual, but didn't think too much of it until I was coming out of the Class VI store and noticed some commotion over by the flightline, then I remembered that he was due in town that day, and I had at least one, if not two, loaded firearms in my truck...  I got the Hell out of Dodge as quickly as I could.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 7:00:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
When sen. Obama visited Jalalabad in July 2008 I had a loaded m4 about 15 feet from him.
View Quote

Never mind
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 7:35:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why didn't you... Oh Nevermind.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 7:39:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the Coast Guard. Apparently the CG is more trusted than the actual military

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 7:49:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you knew what you know now, then, would you change anything?
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 7:59:55 PM EDT
[#18]
IBTL
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:04:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I
Quoted:

Why would they do that?  He's caused more damage than they ever could- he's their best friend ever!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had a young man answer a service call for me at my house.  Got to talking & learned he's ex-Marine and served in Afghanistan.  Said when zero paid a visit, they were all disarmed during the visit.  Not sure how I feel about this...

Is this standard practice, or just zero being zero?

Same with GHB in Desert Storm .
SOP I am sure

So the best time for a sneak attack by the enemy would be during a presidential visit?

Brilliant

Why would they do that?  He's caused more damage than they ever could- he's their best friend ever!

Mostly the presidential fisitations to these types of places seem to be pretty low key until after they happen.   I think they said when bush went to iraq for thansgiving, the news networks weren't told until AF1 was wheels up.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:16:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And if you were in the military, you'd find yourself fucked 10 ways from Sunday.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:19:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When Obama visited a Federal LE HQ, the agents in the building were not allowed to carry if they wanted to attend the ceremony.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:27:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I was told when the 'bamster visited our town the local cops were stripped of ammo.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:29:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Same thing happen when Reagan vested the DMZ in Korea. They took are bolts and gave us empty magazines. After he left we got our bolts back and full magazines.
View Quote

This was at Warrior base correct? Or were you at GP Collier where Ronnie had the binocular photo op?  At GP Oullete we were business as usual. SS did come and visit.  Cool dudes.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:42:09 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote

wndfouhtw407gqefk;vaoasifhgaps

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:59:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cool beans, I was just down the road from JBAD at the same time, didn't know he was there.
I also saw Hillary and McCain in 2004 in Kabul, and they made us take magazines out but we still had our weapons.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:10:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Hartmann became one of only 27 German soldiers in World War II to receive the Diamonds to his Knight's Cross.[32] Hartmann was summoned to the Führerhauptquartier Wolfsschanze, Adolf Hitler's military headquarters near Rastenburg, to receive the coveted award from Hitler personally. On arrival, he was asked to surrender his side arm — a security measure caused by the aftermath of the failed assassination attempt on 20 July 1944. Hartmann refused and threatened to decline the Diamonds if he were not trusted to carry his pistol. After consulting Oberst Nicolaus von Below, Hitler's Luftwaffe adjutant, Hartmann was allowed to keep his side arm and accepted the Diamonds.

Bubi said bullshit to Hitler, Genuine Badass.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:11:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:32:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would love to see how the ss would do against a large scale attack.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:14:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
As I recall they weren't allowed live ammo when guarding the airports after 9/11 either. It's about photo ops, not security.
View Quote

No, 10 rounds
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:29:55 PM EDT
[#30]
sounds like a load of BS,he sends them into harms way but doesn't trust them to be armed around him

probably just standard SS BS but I would be curious to know if this happened when Bush was in office.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:31:19 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:33:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Biden came through my air base in Iraq. We were part of the security detail (armed).
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:33:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It has been done for at least every President since Carter.  Maybe/probably earlier.
View Quote

It's definitely a modern thing.  Wasn't done during earlier eras.  Heck, George Washington led armed men in the field as POTUS, and mostly State Militia, not Federals, IIRC.  Imagine how apeshit SS would get if POTUS decided to actively go into combat with his troops these days.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:35:08 PM EDT
[#34]
SOP, same when W would visit the troops.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:36:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
SOP or not....   Fuck Obama.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:37:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I guess i'll keep my non-CoC comments to myself
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:53:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Christopher Walken movies are good.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:30:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Been standard since I was in and I shipped out in '79, it also depended on your station classification and what rank you were on the firearms carry, we always had an outer perimeter when we had official visits and those guys were armed to the teeth.  I was in for close to 30 years and I was allowed to carry once I attained a certain rank, I was allowed to keep my holstered side arm once I attained the rank of Major, none of my LT's or Captains were allowed to have a loaded weapon during an official visit, there were some Generals that visited our posts and the guys were not allowed to carry(Go Figure)  Who do they think was saving their asses for them.  Now when I was in Iraq during Desert Storm, Norman got pissed when they told us to disarm, he told the security that these were HIS men and HE was going to allow them to keep their weapons and ammo.

When we had official visits, you never knew what kind of quirky shit was going to come up!
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 1:10:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'd imagine his detail is well armed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had a young man answer a service call for me at my house.  Got to talking & learned he's ex-Marine and served in Afghanistan.  Said when zero paid a visit, they were all disarmed during the visit.  Not sure how I feel about this...

SOP I am sure

So the best time for a sneak attack by the enemy would be during a presidential visit?

Brilliant

I'd imagine his detail is well armed.

And if the SHTF they're grabbing him and running....everyone else is fucked
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 1:32:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Obama came to Hawaii once and ate at the chow hall on MCB Kanoehe Bay.

Pretty much kicked/kept every single Marine that wasn't part of the entourage out.

Oh...and we had to field day the barracks for 6 hours or more just in case Obama himself wanted to conduct a white glove inspection
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:35:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The CG is vetted LEO.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:09:49 AM EDT
[#42]
This goes back to WWII and probably beyond.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:11:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Dog and pony show for the masses. Lol. They don't actually give a shit about the folks down range.
View Quote

Truer words were never spoken.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:13:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I've been around Clinton several times with a weapon in the D.C. area, worked with SS on a semi-regular basis, depending on what was going on and where.

Not a big deal.
View Quote

Were you a vetted member or just a passerby troop?

Makes a difference I would imagine.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:53:01 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

It has been documented when FDR visited American Troops in North Africa during World War II.  1942.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Which led Patton to describe the Secret Service as "a bunch of cheap detectives, always smelling of drink.”

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:53:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Doesn't seem like a wise decision.
But I get it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:34:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I

Mostly the presidential fisitations to these types of places seem to be pretty low key until after they happen.   I think they said when bush went to iraq for thansgiving, the news networks weren't told until AF1 was wheels up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SOP I am sure

Brilliant

That movement was a surprise for a lot of people.  Even the guys moving him didn't know about it until it happened
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top