Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 7:26:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Does that happen a lot? I thought that federal was ok...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Federal XM193 eats another gun.

It's fine.  It's all I've ever plinked with on the range.  Just on arfcom alone members shoot 10s of thousands of XM193 per week.

With that volume of ammo produced and consumed, it's inevitable that a mistake occur.

If anything, this will make me pay attention to the rounds being loaded and fired.  I'll start checking for setback, missed crimps, etc. instead of blindly loading away.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 7:56:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Look at the pic of the bolt itself,,, see those two AA stamped on the side of the bolt?? That is a LMT bolt.....Not knocking them, just identifying, I have at least 1/2 dozen and 3 of the ''enhanced'' LMT bolts. They are my favorite, and will have AA, AB, or some combination stamped on them.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:01:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I don't think your theory is possible.
I don't think a normal pressure round can deliver enough gas or gas pressure through the gas tube to peel the carrier apart like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cam pin?

That's what I'm thinking.

First round wasn't a squib since it left the barrel, bolt did not unlock or eject, cam pin could have bent or fractured which also caused the difficulty chambering next round, fractured cam pin then happened to function correctly two times before catastrophic failure. Boom.

What do I win?

also. A bulged cam pin would fail to unlock and the gasses would peel the carrier from the bolt (as it did). You may say the gas tube would burst, but no, (does your air hose burst when sending pressure to your impact wrench or air hammer?). The bolt is a gas piston. Put gas there and it will push the bolt and carrier away from each other. Also when the bolt normally unlocks, the remaining gas subsides, but with the bolt locked, all of the gas went through the gas system instead of just a quick spike.

I don't think your theory is possible.
I don't think a normal pressure round can deliver enough gas or gas pressure through the gas tube to peel the carrier apart like that.

I corrected my theory. I think it's that carrier itself that failed.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:15:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Call BCM customer service tell them what happen. Hmm I forgot hey don't every speak to their customers verbally. The only contact you via email. Good luck getting a live body to help you.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:29:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm late to this.

Damn, glad you're OK OP.   Tagging to see how this pans out.  Sorry about your rifle.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:55:12 AM EDT
[#6]

That's it... I'm selling my bcm and sticking with my psa and tula ammo!

Hope you get taken care of.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:08:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Call BCM customer service tell them what happen. Hmm I forgot hey don't every speak to their customers verbally. The only contact you via email. Good luck getting a live body to help you.
View Quote

If the problem is more serious/involved they will call you, or give you a # to call.  Emails help them track issues or problem customers.  I have spoken to them over the phone a few times.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:46:02 AM EDT
[#8]
If that was just a case head failure, it sure don't give me the warm and fuzzies about AR15 rifles and their ability to withstand a little hiccup.

This was fired in a Savage .22-250. Yeah. .22-250s aren't supposed to be a belted case. I don't know how much pressure it would have taken to do that but it's a lot, I guarantee.

Had to replace the extractor, ejector and associated springs cause they were smoked. Other than that, the rifle was gtg. I checked the receiver surfaces that interface with the bolt lugs to make sure there was no deformation. None.

Granted, it's a SS bolt gun vs an aluminum semi auto.

But, imho, a case head failure should not destroy a gun. Obviously, they can (polymer pistols and, evidently ARs). I said shouldn't.

</a>" />
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:53:53 AM EDT
[#9]
In before the BCM fanboys "BCM never has problems!!"?
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:57:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Glad you are OK man......AR's gonna AR tho...
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:07:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If the problem is more serious/involved they will call you, or give you a # to call.  Emails help them track issues or problem customers.  I have spoken to them over the phone a few times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I already mentioned that he contact Paul (The owner of BCM) directly he is pretty visible on the gun forums and wont hesitate to assist any way he can.  And yes I know the guy you quoted isn't the OP.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:14:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:  If that was just a case head failure, it sure don't give me the warm and fuzzies about AR15 rifles and their ability to withstand a little hiccup.

This was fired in a Savage .22-250. Yeah. .22-250s aren't supposed to be a belted case. I don't know how much pressure it would have taken to do that but it's a lot, I guarantee.

Had to replace the extractor, ejector and associated springs cause they were smoked. Other than that, the rifle was gtg. I checked the receiver surfaces that interface with the bolt lugs to make sure there was no deformation. None.

But, imho, a case head failure should not destroy a gun. Obviously, they can (polymer pistols and, evidently ARs). I said shouldn't.

http://<a href=http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u660/ridgerunner9876/DSCF7336_zps8c5dcdef.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

Umm, case head failure @ 50,000 PSI isn't a little hiccup.  And your Savage wasn't trying to handle gas while simultaneously trying to unlock itself.  When an AR encounters an overpressure event, the bolt carrier, upper, and magazine are almost always destroyed.  Usually the lower survives - sometimes it's bent.

I'm reminded of the video of the lady shooting a Garand immediately following a squib.  The Garand explosively disassembled itself.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:54:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Umm, case head failure @ 50,000 PSI isn't a little hiccup.  And your Savage wasn't trying to handle gas while simultaneously trying to unlock itself.  When an AR encounters an overpressure event, the bolt carrier, upper, and magazine are almost always destroyed.  Usually the lower survives - sometimes it's bent.

I'm reminded of the video of the lady shooting a Garand immediately following a squib.  The Garand explosively disassembled itself.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  If that was just a case head failure, it sure don't give me the warm and fuzzies about AR15 rifles and their ability to withstand a little hiccup.

http://<a href=http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u660/ridgerunner9876/DSCF7336_zps8c5dcdef.jpg</a>" />

I'm pretty sure it was trying to unlock itself.

I saw that M1 come apart. That was unfortunately the fault of the shooter's inexperience and lack of understanding of what they were doing.

I'm thinking about, if I can get some inexpensive components, experimenting with venting the bbl extension on an AR. See if I can reproduce a case head failure without destroying the BCG or upper.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 1:18:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I saw that M1 come apart. That was unfortunately the fault of the shooter's inexperience and lack of understanding of what they were doing.

I'm thinking about, if I can get some inexpensive components, experimenting with venting the bbl extension on an AR. See if I can reproduce a case head failure without destroying the BCG or upper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Umm, case head failure @ 50,000 PSI isn't a little hiccup.  And your Savage wasn't trying to handle gas while simultaneously trying to unlock itself.  When an AR encounters an overpressure event, the bolt carrier, upper, and magazine are almost always destroyed.  Usually the lower survives - sometimes it's bent.

Careful w/ your hoop strength.  Keep in mind this action was originally designed for the .222", and the cartridge was upsized in development, and continuously ever since.  Hoop strength is the reason the .458" SOCOM & 6.5mm Grendel are pressure limited, and the .30" RAR uses an entirely different bbl extension.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:03:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Haven't heard back from Federal yet.
Emailed BCM to see if they have a better way to get ahold of Federal
from prior catastrophic failure issues like mine.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:29:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Haven't heard back from Federal yet.
Emailed BCM to see if they have a better way to get ahold of Federal
from prior catastrophic failure issues like mine.

View Quote

I'd venture to say this will not be a quick process.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:34:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Miracle it doesn't happen more often. I've seen the fucking SPACE SHUTTLE turn into a bottle rocket TWICE in my lifetime. You think the $6 box of ammo you bought is somehow foolproof? And I don't give a shit WHO MADE IT.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:41:53 PM EDT
[#18]
*checks to make sure this is GD*

E-Lander mag will not buff out I fear.
View Quote

Well, at least it was no big loss on the magazine.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:47:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I would say compressed powder at least that's what my rifle looked like after I compressed a load once when reloading.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:51:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I would say compressed powder at least that's what my rifle looked like after I compressed a load once when reloading.
View Quote

Lots of rifle loads are compressed loads.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:54:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

E-Lander mag will not buff out I fear.

No, not at all. Someone gave them to me a couple years ago.
Loaded them up last year because I wanted to test them out.
Well, now I know...
Wonder if an aluminum GI or P mag would have fared worse/turned into shrapnel?

I do feel lucky/blessed on the lack of injury.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:57:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, not sure where he was going with that one.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:24:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Don't listen to this guy.  Don't take shit apart.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pull off the handguard and barrel nut, and see if the index pin on the barrel extension is intact.  90% sure there is a problem with the timing of the extension, which led to the lugs of the bolt not lining up with the lugs of the extension, so when it hit 60k psi the bolt blasted through the bolt carrier, causing the problem you have today.  This would also cause the failure to go into full battery, as well as the subsequent damage.

Don't listen to this guy.  Don't take shit apart.

Yeah, like you could get the barrel nut off a BCM upper even under ideal conditions.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:47:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Splodey is my new favorite word
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've had the rifle several years, unknown round count, 3000-4000 maybe?
LMT lower, upper is a BCM Midlength, LMT or early non-logo BCM BCG, don't remember which, bought from BCM.
KMR added last year.

I have not read every response in this thread but........

Kind of unfair to call it a BCM middy....... you kind of have a "franken rifle" there.

This could have been an ammo only problem or a combination of ammo and headspace....... or?

Franken Gun? LMT Factory assembled Lower, BCM Factory assembled Upper?

Aren't most US Military guns (More than a few years old) rebuilt, re assembled, cobbled together stuff? FN/COLT/LMT/Continental/...

Those are more Frankenstein than this thing

If the upper is all BCM, then all the important parts should mil-spec dimensions, materials and treatments.

The lower has nothing to do with containing the splodeyness inside splodeycontainer. Not a damned thing.

Splodey is my new favorite word

You need to add "shooty-er" too, as in machine guns are shooty-er than semi-autos.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:54:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

or improper headspace would be another consideration.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
that looks like OOB boom

Well the bolt is in battery so that pretty much rules out an out of battery boom.

Case head failed.

Why the case head failed is the only question.

Soft brass or an over pressure event.

That would definitely be a cause for a case rupture. Unsupported case could kaboom, but what of the "squib" that wasn't a squib?
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:55:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is that?
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:03:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

What is that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is that?

Powders that burn at a rate that correct loads fill the case to the mouth so when you seat your bullet, you're compressing the powder.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:11:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Powders that burn at a rate that correct loads fill the case to the mouth so when you seat your bullet, you're compressing the powder.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is that?

So basically the machine over at Federal wasn't metering the powder correctly and got over charged?
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#29]
did you happen to she shooting .300 blk that same day?
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:30:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
did you happen to she shooting .300 blk that same day?
View Quote

Don't own a .300
yet
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:31:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Tag for updates
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:38:48 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

He did everything right.  Federal is at fault here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Reading your troubleshooting steps and scratching my head.   Not sure what you could have missed.

He did everything right.  Federal is at fault here.

Yep I can't think of anything else but the ammo.

Glad your ok and the lower survived.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That would definitely be a cause for a case rupture. Unsupported case could kaboom, but what of the "squib" that wasn't a squib?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
that looks like OOB boom

Well the bolt is in battery so that pretty much rules out an out of battery boom.

Case head failed.

Why the case head failed is the only question.

Soft brass or an over pressure event.

Wondering the same thing if it wasn't the 1st sign of an issue that didn't fully manifest for another 3 rounds.  Be interested to see what else can be learned.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:58:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Looks a little dry, do you oil your guns?
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#35]
BCM was of no help. They agree it was the ammo.
Waiting to hear from Federal.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:35:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Looks a little dry, do you oil your guns?
View Quote

A lot of really hot gas blowing out the ejection port at an alarming rate tends to dry up the gun, you know?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:19:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I may be using the wrong terminology, but I blew a 5.56 up with roughly 3-5 grains extra powder.  I believe I was using Benchmark  with a 77gr SMK bullet.  It split the upper, broke the bolt, BCG,  and blew the magazine out. So what would you call that situation an over charge?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:58:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:  So basically the machine over at Federal wasn't metering the powder correctly and got over charged?
View Quote

It's a bit more likely that the round was severely undercharged, and the primer flash shot all the way down the case in empty space, causing all the powder below it to ignite simultaneously, and causing a severe overpressure spike that blew the bottom of the brass case out.

I don't reload, so I'd be happy to be shown to be way off base here.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 2:50:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It's a bit more likely that the round was severely undercharged, and the primer flash shot all the way down the case in empty space, causing all the powder below it to ignite simultaneously, and causing a severe overpressure spike that blew the bottom of the brass case out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  So basically the machine over at Federal wasn't metering the powder correctly and got over charged?

I don't know that it's ever been scientifically proven, or duplicated in a 'lab', but there's a lot of anecdotal evidence out there that suggests it's possible.  

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:48:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I may be using the wrong terminology, but I blew a 5.56 up with roughly 3-5 grains extra powder.  I believe I was using Benchmark  with a 77gr SMK bullet.  It split the upper, broke the bolt, BCG,  and blew the magazine out. So what would you call that situation an over charge?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've not used that powder and don't have data for it so I can't really comment on what happened to you. Hope you weren't injured.

I load 3031 and couldn't get an extra 3 grains in the case if I tried. The correct load fills the case to the mouth.

I would be very surprised if 3-5 extra grains of a rifle powder could make that big a difference in blowing up a gun. IIRC .223 loads run about 25 grs with most standard powders I'm familiar with. So, a 10% margin of safety would be mighty slim imho.

As for the detonation theories posted, I believe they are very possible and more believable than an overcharge situation in a rifle using correct-for-cartridge powder.

Progressive burning propellant is an odd bird.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:05:06 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Tella ya what happened right there is the thing gone and dun blown up.

Seriously tho it looks like a overcharged round, MAYBE a OOB but I really think overcharged round.Most of the OOB kB's have more signs of damage around the front of the receiver and less at the rear as we see here. Too much pressure and gas for the carrier to handle.
View Quote
undercharged round imo

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:15:11 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

this, in fact many rifle cases with common rifle powder are hard to overcharge to a truly dangerous level

underloading or introduce pistol powder and you can have an instant disaster, OP had just had a squib load and the 3rd shot after blew up the gun because the case was overpressured in my opinion, of course I could be wrong
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:19:33 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I believe you are correct BB

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:11:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

If anything, this will make me pay attention to the rounds being loaded and fired.  I'll start checking for setback, missed crimps, etc. instead of blindly loading away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Federal XM193 eats another gun.

While it's good practice, unfortunately there isn't much to be done about an undercharged load (which blows the gun just like an overcharged round) without weighing every round.

Shaking the round to feel the powder movement helps, but who is going to do that with every round? Feeling the difference between 25gr and 5gr of powder might be impossible anyway.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:31:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Federal will almost certainly try to convince you that your firearm was improperly maintained and that a mechanical failure led to the rupture you experienced.
Just to clarify some things for those catching up.
-Most likely not an overpressure issue. The powder in the XM193 can be basically filled up to case capacity and then crunched down with the projo and you won't experience overprwssuring. Especially in a 5.56 chamber.
-Can't be pistol powder. He would be dead.
-Probably not a half/light charge. Not likely to occur given the QC in place at LC and even then, a backflash wouldn't have enough PSI to demolish that upper.
-A case head rupture doesn't indicate that Federal loads bad ammo. It is impossible to test the integrity of every single piece of brass that leaves the factory. This sort of thing HAPPENS.
-Might be an OOB but I haven't seen pics of the gun completely broken apart with the bolt unlocked. OP will probably have to cut the upper receiver off and then use pliers to twist the bolt head and unlock it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:12:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Federal will almost certainly try to convince you that your firearm was improperly maintained and that a mechanical failure led to the rupture you experienced.
-Most likely not an overpressure issue. The powder in the XM193 can be basically filled up to case capacity and then crunched down with the projo and you won't experience overprwssuring. Especially in a 5.56 chamber.
-Probably not a half/light charge. Not likely to occur given the QC in place at LC and even then, a backflash wouldn't have enough PSI to demolish that upper.
-A case head rupture doesn't indicate that Federal loads bad ammo. It is impossible to test the integrity of every single piece of brass that leaves the factory. This sort of thing HAPPENS.
-Might be an OOB but I haven't seen pics of the gun completely broken apart with the bolt unlocked. OP will probably have to cut the upper receiver off and then use pliers to twist the bolt head and unlock it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it fired OOB, the bolt wouldn't then go into battery and lock closed.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:27:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:09:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Another email off to Federal.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:15:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Had this happen to me with the Federal American Eagle.

Sent 20rnds for them to test. They said there was nothing wrong. Luckily I was only out a barrel and upper receiver. BCG was dead but AIM SURPLUS came in and replaced it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:18:35 PM EDT
[#50]
It's obvious. The grip screw came out, traveled through the action, jammed in the gas tube.

When the trigger was pulled, no gas was able to pass from the barrel to the carrier, resulting in all the pressure
traveling back into the brass, blowing out the case head and destroying the upper receiver, as no pressure was
able to exit the barrel. That makes as much sense as some of the other things posted above.

If a squib with a low powder charge was fired, and an inspection showed no damage and a clear bore, what
are the odds another low powder charge was 3rd in line after that one, and if the low charge detonation theory
is possible, BOOM!!!, because splodeyness, makes guns less shooty-er.

Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top