BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 2:21:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
       Johnson cannot name his running mate.  He can endorse him as a VP pick, but he does not get to create the ticket.

The Presidential and Vice-Presidential selections are two separate activities in the national convention at the end of May.  The actual selection of the VP is done in open convention with delegates voting for the different VP candidates through successive balloting until a single candidate has over 50% of the vote or a clear majority.  Same as the Presidential candidates.

After the VP candidates have been formally nominated in convention, a Presidential nominee can give a speech to the convention on their behalf, right before balloting for VP begins.

I do not see Weld getting past the first ballot, in any way.  He's an easy elimination.  Johnson probably hurt his chances by even mentioning him.

View Quote

I didn't realize any of that.  yeah the LP is sure to fuck up this incredible obvious opportunity.  Trump it is.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 2:37:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I didn't realize any of that.  yeah the LP is sure to fuck up this incredible obvious opportunity.  Trump it is.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Johnson cannot name his running mate.  He can endorse him as a VP pick, but he does not get to create the ticket.

The Presidential and Vice-Presidential selections are two separate activities in the national convention at the end of May.  The actual selection of the VP is done in open convention with delegates voting for the different VP candidates through successive balloting until a single candidate has over 50% of the vote or a clear majority.  Same as the Presidential candidates.

After the VP candidates have been formally nominated in convention, a Presidential nominee can give a speech to the convention on their behalf, right before balloting for VP begins.

I do not see Weld getting past the first ballot, in any way.  He's an easy elimination.  Johnson probably hurt his chances by even mentioning him.

I would just like the LP to nominate actual long-term libertarians, and not someone that jumped ship from another party.

But this years crop of LP candidates has been just as bad as the Democrat and Republican parties.

I think James Gray would be a good LP Pres pick this year, but he's not running.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 2:48:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I would just like the LP to nominate actual long-term libertarians, and not someone that jumped ship from another party.

But this years crop of LP candidates has been just as bad as the Democrat and Republican parties.

I think James Gray would be a good LP Pres pick this year, but he's not running.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't disagree, but the problem with actual long term Libertarians is  that they are not very good at politics.  That's why i like Johnson - I think he's a Libertarian and also he's won stuff.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 3:17:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Riddle me this ... how does "assault weapons banner" and "libertarian" jive?

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 3:24:18 PM EDT
[#5]
The Libertarian party should be renamed the Drug party.  That is the only freedom they really care about.

When I was in undergrad I made it a point to go to every Libertaian rally or table at events and start talking about machine guns and carrying pistols without a permit.  They would always get uncomfortable and try to steer the conversation back to MJ.

It was cheap entertainment
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 4:41:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Libertarian presidential hopeful Gary Johnson pushed back on a report
that David Koch, the billionaire who once ran as the party's vice
presidential nominee, was ready to fund his campaign.

"To my
knowledge, it's not happening," said Johnson, in a short interview
Thursday. "That's not to say it isn't, but it would be a surprise to
me. We tried to talk to Kochs during the last cycle, and we couldn't do
it. There are a lot of people who are expressing interest, in a big way,
to be a part of this, but I'm not naming names. I can say that I
haven't reached out to the Kochs."

A top Koch Industries official also said the story was inaccurate.

"Reports
that David Koch has pledged his support to Gary Johnson – or any
candidate running for president for that matter – are untrue," Philip
Ellender, president of public affairs at Koch Companies Public Sector,
said in a statement.

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Don't take the bait.  This thread is nothing but trolling.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Libertarians are just a subspecies of moonbat.

Are republicans better?

How do you figure?????  Did Johnson choose Weld as his running mate?  Does Weld Have a History of being a grabber??  if the answer to both of those questions is "Yes" then this is a legitimate wuestion....especially for people who have already stated they would vote for Johnson.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:49:22 PM EDT
[#8]
A libertarian who wants to ban guns is a walking oxymoron.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:38:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:56:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The Libertarian party should be renamed the Drug party.  That is the only freedom they really care about.

When I was in undergrad I made it a point to go to every Libertaian rally or table at events and start talking about machine guns and carrying pistols without a permit.  They would always get uncomfortable and try to steer the conversation back to MJ.

It was cheap entertainment
View Quote

How long ago was that?  

I'm not saying you're wrong.    I can't say that I've ever been to an actual libertarian event
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:32:14 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Libertarian presidential hopeful Gary Johnson pushed back on a report that David Koch, the billionaire who once ran as the party's vice presidential nominee, was ready to fund his campaign.

"To my knowledge, it's not happening," said Johnson, in a short interview Thursday. "That's not to say it isn't, but it would be a surprise to me. We tried to talk to Kochs during the last cycle, and we couldn't do it. There are a lot of people who are expressing interest, in a big way, to be a part of this, but I'm not naming names. I can say that I haven't reached out to the Kochs."

A top Koch Industries official also said the story was inaccurate.

"Reports that David Koch has pledged his support to Gary Johnson – or any candidate running for president for that matter – are untrue," Philip Ellender, president of public affairs at Koch Companies Public Sector, said in a statement.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/05/19/libertarian-hopeful-gary-johnson-denies-rumor-of-eight-figure-koch-campaign-donation/

View Quote

I don't see how anyone can "fund" a campaign like this article implies.  Each person is limited to giving $2700 per election to each candidate.  A primary election and general election count as separate elections so you could give $2700 to each one.  The max that David Koch could give Johnson is $5400, then.

A candidate can use all their personal funds to put money in the campaign.  So if Johnson was a millionaire, he could self-fund.  But David Koch cannot give Johnson a big old check and Johnson declare that personal income.  The FEC would jump all over that.  Koch couldn't create a PAC and funnel money, either.  A 527 is possible, but if it only helps out Johnsons campaign, again, the FEC would shut it down.  Getting money handlers to process donations into the campaign is possible but the way the donor lists are being observed for just that kind of activity by both the feds and the other campaigns, not a lot of that can be done, certainly not millions of dollars.

Basically, this entire article is misleading horseshit.  What is alleged isn't even possible.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:37:55 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
How do you figure?????  Did Johnson choose Weld as his running mate?  Does Weld Have a History of being a grabber??  if the answer to both of those questions is "Yes" then this is a legitimate wuestion....especially for people who have already stated they would vote for Johnson.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are republicans better?

No, since the LP VP position is nominated just like the Presidential position.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:39:11 AM EDT
[#13]
This thread is a great example of why we are going to be stuck with choices like Trump and Hillary. No one wants to go outside of the security blanket that is the two party system.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:39:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A libertarian who wants to ban guns is a walking oxymoron.
View Quote

gary Johnson also supports expanding background checks.

steven crowder did a interview with a libertarian candidate who in my opinion is a much better choice. im at work now so I cant find the interview video.

He addressed things like the national firearms act
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:44:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Gary Johnson is OUT of my favour.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:53:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Pure hilarity.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:57:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
"Libertarian presidential candidate Gary Johnson has chosen former Massachusetts Gov. William Weld as his running mate, The Associated Press reported Wednesday.  Johnson, former governor or New Mexico, told the AP that Weld would make the announcement of his vice presidential candidacy Thursday."

Weld has a less-than-perfect record on gun rights as shown in this article from 1993..............

With voters growing increasingly fearful of gunfire on the streets, Gov. William F. Weld of Massachusetts reversed course this week and proposed some of the most stringent gun control laws in the country.

Mr. Weld, a Republican who will run for re-election next year, called for a statewide ban on assault weapons -- a proposal he opposed during his 1990 campaign -- as well as a waiting period for buying handguns and a prohibition on handgun ownership by anyone under 21. His proposed legislation would also limit the number of handguns an individual could buy and would impose tough penalties for illegal gun sales and gun-related crimes.        

"The purpose of this common sense legislation is to remove deadly guns from our streets and to take weapons out of the hands of many teens who themselves are becoming deadly killers," the Governor said.        

As a candidate three years ago, Mr. Weld's position on gun control had won him the endorsement of the Gun Owners' Action League, a local lobbying group affiliated with the National Rifle Association. And while many law enforcement officials this week praised his turnaround, his critics charged that the Governor was acting out of political expediency.

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/10/01/us/in-shift-massachusetts-governor-backs-gun-law.html  
View Quote

Awesome. 3 anti-gun candidates. Write in it is......
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:02:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Fuck me, I might actually vote for Trump
View Quote

yup, this seals the deal for me to vote Trump. I had a tiny urge to vote my conscience and support Johnson, but not with that turd on the ticket.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:16:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How long ago was that?  

I'm not saying you're wrong.    I can't say that I've ever been to an actual libertarian event
View Quote

Local LP groups vary wildly. In the 90s, the Dallas group only cared about drugs. The Houston group only cared about gay "privileges" that they called "rights". The Houston group got pissed when the state convention told them "government shouldn't be involved with marriage or any of that".
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:18:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This guy ^ gets it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's odd. I wouldn't call any of the libertarians I know leftists. Leftists like big government and libertarians inherently do not like big government. Leftists like gun control and libertarians do not like gun control because they see gun control as big government. Leftists like welfare and foodstamps, whereas libertarians would not approve of the government robbing one man to give to another. Leftists like communism and market control, whereas libertarians advocate a free market.

Just about the only things libertarians identify with leftists on are social issues such as drugs, prostitution, and abortion. And that doesn't mean libertarians necessarily like those things, they just don't believe the government has any business regulating them one way or the other.

You also have to keep in mind that just because someone claims to be libertarian does not mean they are adhering to libertarian principles. It's no different than how some folks claim to be Christian, yet their actions reflect nothing of the sort.

This guy ^ gets it.  

Yes, yes he does!
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:57:52 AM EDT
[#21]
The Libertarian party is full of fuck.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:45:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are republicans better?

Interesting. .....so the LP knowingly CHOSE and Antigun VP candidate.?
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:00:29 PM EDT
[#23]
<----------------<<<
Absolutely.

Quoted:
Is the Ron Paul cult still active here?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:04:16 PM EDT
[#24]
.........Gov. William F. Weld of Massachusetts reversed course this week and proposed some of the most stringent gun control laws in the country.

Mr. Weld, a Republican who will run for re-election next year, called for a statewide ban on assault weapons -- a proposal he opposed during his 1990 campaign -- as well as a waiting period for buying handguns and a prohibition on handgun ownership by anyone under 21. His proposed legislation would also limit the number of handguns an individual could buy and would impose tough penalties for illegal gun sales and gun-related crimes.
View Quote

Ah, yes. Northeast Republicans. Go on. Pin your hopes on them.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:04:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I think he means Johnson--both a moonbat (duh), and he was the REPUBLICAN governor of N. Mexico.  Or maybe both a "Libertarian" (this week) and a Republican.  Or maybe a "Libertarian" (this week) and a moonbat.  Hard to say for sure, but I didn't take it to mean you.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are republicans better?

That fucker is the lowest subspecies of BOTH.

Who? Me?

I think he means Johnson--both a moonbat (duh), and he was the REPUBLICAN governor of N. Mexico.  Or maybe both a "Libertarian" (this week) and a Republican.  Or maybe a "Libertarian" (this week) and a moonbat.  Hard to say for sure, but I didn't take it to mean you.  

As I understand it he was a good governor who shrank government.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Not single small l libertarian I know is like that.  If anything they are more right leaning because they don't buy the big L view on open borders
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know lots of arfcom claims otherwise, but all the libertarians I've ever personally known have been ultra leftists, but they were upset with the Dems because they didnt go far enough on drug legalization.

Not single small l libertarian I know is like that.  If anything they are more right leaning because they don't buy the big L view on open borders

Does the LP still favor open borders?

Small "L" libertarians have different beliefs. The hipster libertarians at Reason and the Lew Rockwell types can both claim to be small "L" while pushing rather different agendas.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:15:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yeah, the actual political party is a disaster.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This kind of crap is why I stay small "l" and can't take the party seriously.

Yeah, the actual political party is a disaster.

If the GOP goes away the LP won't replace it. The LP has a niche for certain protest votes. It isn't serious about winning elections.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:16:01 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

The Libertarian party is full of fuck.
View Quote
Yep; I sure wish there was a third party I could get behind because the R's and D's both suck ass, but there isn't.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:20:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Some certainly do. Your intellectual dishonesty comes from the insinuation that that makes all their other belief all of a sudden not matter. Were that true, then Republicans would be 100% irrelevant because of their stances on gay marriage, the death penalty, and abortion.

Also, anybody who agrees with AlexanderA is wrong 100% of the time. Social conservatism and economic leftism is the poison of both parties.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You cognitive dissonance is out of control.

So is your intellectual dishonesty.

Libtardians are Pro-open Border and believe in "free migration" or some delusional BS.

Some certainly do. Your intellectual dishonesty comes from the insinuation that that makes all their other belief all of a sudden not matter. Were that true, then Republicans would be 100% irrelevant because of their stances on gay marriage, the death penalty, and abortion.

Also, anybody who agrees with AlexanderA is wrong 100% of the time. Social conservatism and economic leftism is the poison of both parties.

Open borders is one of the fastest ways to destroy this nation.

Gay marriage, death penalty and abortion shouldn't be federal issues and are only distractions.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:22:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This thread is a great example of why we are going to be stuck with choices like Trump and Hillary. No one wants to go outside of the security blanket that is the two party system.
View Quote

The way our system is, it will be a two party system. The parties might change, but there will only be two that are viable, until we become a full on banana republic with only one viable party.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:31:01 PM EDT
[#31]
So, his choice for VP holds the same views on gun rights that Trump did until just very recently, shocking I tell you
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:51:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:57:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Shit, I might be able to do it sober and without vomiting at this rate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck me, I might actually vote for Trump

Thanks, Gary.

Shit, I might be able to do it sober and without vomiting at this rate.

No kidding, this country is so screwed.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:06:51 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

No.

The LP convention is next week.  A dude trying to get the presidential nomination for the LP (Johnson) said he wants an antigun VP candidate (Weld) as his running mate.

In the Libertarian Party the Presidential candidate does NOT get to pick their running mate.  The VP nominee is picked among several other candidates at the convention by the delegates to the convention in an open election process.

In other words, nobody has made Weld the VP nominee.  Johnson said he wanted it, but he doesn't get to decide.

We will know next week who the Presidential and Vice Presidential candidates for the LP are.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:21:08 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I know lots of arfcom claims otherwise, but all the libertarians I've ever personally known have been ultra leftists, but they were upset with the Dems because they didnt go far enough on drug legalization.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

really the only freedom they care about, the freedom to get high and do nothing-sound like democrats to me...

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well when your party platform is free migration, gutting the military, drug legalization, legal prostitution, and so on and so on it is hard to be taken such a party seriously.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:25:17 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Not a single one of the "I wish we didn't have an evil two party system" types have EVER explained what they think there is to gain by voting third party.  They only want to suppress the GOP vote for posting that nonsense here over and over.

On the one hand they are just liberal trolls doing what I said, or they may be too stupid to figure out how things work--either of which means they aren't fit to waste a moment's consideration as to their views.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The way our system is, it will be a two party system. The parties might change, but there will only be two that are viable, until we become a full on banana republic with only one viable party.

Not a single one of the "I wish we didn't have an evil two party system" types have EVER explained what they think there is to gain by voting third party.  They only want to suppress the GOP vote for posting that nonsense here over and over.

On the one hand they are just liberal trolls doing what I said, or they may be too stupid to figure out how things work--either of which means they aren't fit to waste a moment's consideration as to their views.  

I just think the vast majority of "Libertarians" are more for the 'freedoms' the D's will vote for than the 'freedoms' the R's will vote for.

IOW, they like drugs and gays and more than they like guns and lower taxes.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:39:08 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Deep down inside, most Libertarian Party members really care about only three things this election cycle:  Free pot, open borders, and transgenders in bathrooms.

Religious gun owners who think a Libertarian president will have their back when it comes to the First and Second Amendments would be in for a rude surprise if Johnson won.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:01:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

No.

The LP convention is next week.  A dude trying to get the presidential nomination for the LP (Johnson) said he wants an antigun VP candidate (Weld) as his running mate.

In the Libertarian Party the Presidential candidate does NOT get to pick their running mate.  The VP nominee is picked among several other candidates at the convention by the delegates to the convention in an open election process.

In other words, nobody has made Weld the VP nominee.  Johnson said he wanted it, but he doesn't get to decide.

We will know next week who the Presidential and Vice Presidential candidates for the LP are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<snip>

No.

But Johnson NAMED Weld as his PREFERRED Running mate.....the same Johnson that the Libertarians her on Arfcom...are saying they'd vote for.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:20:31 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
But Johnson NAMED Weld as his PREFERRED Running mate.....the same Johnson that the Libertarians her on Arfcom...are saying they'd vote for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.

Johnson can name anyone he wants.  But the ticket is decided at the convention by the delegates, not the candidates.  

Johnson is not even the nominee yet.  Hey may not even get past the first fucking ballot in the convention.  I've been an LP party member for over 20 years, I've been a delegate at two national nominating conventions and I can tell you the last fucking thing you see at an LP convention is a coronation. Johnson does NOT have a lock on the nomination. There are delegates that are not pleased with his pick of Weld, and Austin Petersen is sounding better and better to a lot of these people.  So is McAfee.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:43:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So, his choice for VP holds the same views on gun rights that Trump did until just very recently, shocking I tell you
View Quote

Trump living rent free in your brain.

Trump 2000 "I generally oppose gun control"

thats 16 years ago (maths are hard) and still better than your libertarian saviors!  

free the weed, ban the guns, open borders and peace, man.  peace.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:53:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

thats 16 years ago (maths are hard) and still better than your libertarian saviors!  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This from 2012.  Maths are hard, just sayin'...
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top