Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 6:11:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 6:12:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 6:26:59 PM EDT
[#3]
If you lived in Oklahoma, I'd make you come over ASAP and we'd have that bad boy looking like new!  Try to find a local to help you out.  A lot of shooters have great shops just for their hobby and would love to help!
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 6:29:15 PM EDT
[#4]
In for progress.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 6:30:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I would bet 100% of the main parts are totally salvable.

All the bits and springs ect will need replacing but keep rebuild better than new!
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 6:32:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It would undoubtedly fire the first shot.

Cycling is a bit questionable. A few minutes with the rough side of a sponge and some oil, it'd probably cycle halfway decently.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would shoot it as is right now,no question about it after seeing the top cover removed

It would undoubtedly fire the first shot.

Cycling is a bit questionable. A few minutes with the rough side of a sponge and some oil, it'd probably cycle halfway decently.

So just like new then eh?
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 6:32:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Perfect opportunity, btw, to have that thing stripped and chromed. Go bling, amirite?
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 6:33:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Tie a knot in your boot lace, dip in motor oil,  run through bore,  shoot rifle.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 6:52:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Sand or bead blast it and see what you've got!

You can always replace the FCG and small parts...or buy parts from APEX
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:08:14 AM EDT
[#11]
OP, can you start a poll?
I vote leave the rust, add paki tape!
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:24:50 AM EDT
[#12]
IMO that rifle is totally recoverable.  It's just brown rust.  You would be amazed at how well reverse electrolysis can clean up a rusty AK receiver.

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:46:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Search the ak files forum for nodak spud rust issues. May be a sticky in the build it yourself section.  Many of us have had to clean up AK builds.

Get a gallon of evaporust. Disassemble and soak in evaporust overnight. Scrub with a wire brush, rinse, then boil the gun on the stovetop. Blow dry with compressed air. Keep repeating this a few times until you stop seeing rust permeating from the receiver during the boiling. Blow dry again on the last run, then bake the gun in the oven at low temp to take care of any residual water. It's a lot easier than it may sound. Pay special attention to around the rails, center support, rivets and trunnions. The flat surfaces will be the easiest to clean, the boil will help pull rust out of the tight places.

Best thing to do then is get the gun parkerized, then top coated with whatever you prefer. Keep it well oiled/ greased from then on.

I think that will be an easy clean up. The rust looks particularly bad on the bolt carrier because it's not painted, but it should clean up OK. Feel free to just replace as much of the internals as you see fit, but keep in mind the bolt itself is keeping your headspace. Changing bolts may throw your headspace out of check. I personally would disassemble, clean and rebuild the bolt with new internals. Change out the fire control group for an ALG, which is cheap and much better anyways. Change the shepherds hook spring for one of the retaining plates. The internals will be a piece of cake and replacement parts are cheap.

I very optimistic about cleaning it up, mainly because your plastic pistol grip is completely in tact and not at all melted. My only concern is inside the barrel. Clean the shit out of it, including the gas port during the rust removal process. Your barrel is not chrome lined, but may clean up and shoot just fine. Keep in mind these guns don't have the greatest accuracy to begin with.

You will know the AK intamitely by the time this is done. Treat it like a sledge hammer rather than some sort of precision instrument, and you will understand that none of this is rocket science.

Edit: actually, looking at your pictures again, the bolt barely looks rusted and probably just needs disassembly and good cleaning along with the other parts. Maybe new ejector spring, but that may not even be rusted.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:53:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Tagging for clean up.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 12:00:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My handguards are plenty ugly, and I suspect they'll get worse before this is all over with

People are saying to try scrubbing the rust off and shooting it, that seems easy and cheap.

It's storming like crazy here now, but whenever it dries up a bit, I'll take it outside and give it a good scrub down. I'll also bring non potato pictures and whatnot back with me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

My handguards are plenty ugly, and I suspect they'll get worse before this is all over with

People are saying to try scrubbing the rust off and shooting it, that seems easy and cheap.

It's storming like crazy here now, but whenever it dries up a bit, I'll take it outside and give it a good scrub down. I'll also bring non potato pictures and whatnot back with me.

Seriously, hose it down with wd40.  Get it wet with oil ASAP.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 12:06:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I vote that nothing really needs repair on that rifle.

Finish needs some help, but the springs look good, and no major damage is apparent.

Those M92s are built well. I would have absolutely no worries about cleaning that gun up and running with it.

Shoot, we did this and the thing survived. These handguards looked worse than the OPs.

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 4:22:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I hope this gets moved to the AK tech section before it sinks into the GD abyss.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 4:32:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Sorry, Zack, but someone's got to say it- those are the worst pics you have ever put up on GD.

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 4:39:39 PM EDT
[#19]
If the bore is good, wrap a piece of fine steel wool around a cleaning rod, spray with kroil and scrub, blast the rest of it with #80 alumox cerakote and change out the springs and possibly the bolt if the heat treat is fucked and you will be gtg. Another option is to buy a pap pistol and strip your sbr and cerakote the rr and use the rest as donor parts from the pap assuming the parts interchange.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 4:40:29 PM EDT
[#20]
what do the bolt fact, firing pin, chamber and bore look like? the only thing that looks like it has bad rust on it is the charging handle...

If it was my gun I would spray it down with wd40/kerosene mix wire brush everything and wipe it all down smooth.

after that I would look at MAYBE replacing the fire control group (if it was gritty), stock (cosmetic) and dust cover (cosmetic). I am surprised the bolt/bcg wasnt chrome plated.

the receiver and wood dont look bad. you should be ok.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 4:40:48 PM EDT
[#21]
This gives us all hope that your MAC can be saved... Have you found that one yet?
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 4:42:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Tag.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 4:48:26 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm pretty sure I have the correct Yugo cone flash hider for it.  If that would help then IM me your mailing address.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 4:56:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Aerokroil and shoot it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 5:01:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 5:01:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 5:09:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I bet it will be just fine.  try some electrolysis, replace spring and have someone competent check it out.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 6:08:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Please don't refinish it!  That gun now has a lot of character that can't be purchased!  Clean it up and post pics!
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:48:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
We can rebuild it, we can make it better, stronger, faster.

http://static.wixstatic.com/media/ff562f_9dddd04facbdc187cae6b3d650e4275b.jpg

Dont just fix it polish the entire thing :)
View Quote

Gold plate?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:23:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Updates?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:38:50 AM EDT
[#31]
I vote you do just enough to get it running safe and reliable and call it good. That's not damage, it's "patina" and AKs just look damn cool the more distressed they look.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:44:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Strip the receiver, clean, repair, refinish, then rebuild it with new parts.

ETA: Every spring in the gun will be junk. If the bore is free I'd try to shoot it.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:56:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Imho I would clean up the bolt, carrier, bore, and replace the springs and trigger and call it good. That things got character.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:56:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Happen to have a Yugo underfolder safety/selector? That's the only part I'm missing from my M92 SBR project
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've got a brand new m92 I'm sbr'ing, if you need any of the take off parts I have let me know.

Grip, hand guard set, trigger, recoil spring, (think that's it for now.)

Free and free shipping.

Happen to have a Yugo underfolder safety/selector? That's the only part I'm missing from my M92 SBR project

I have been looking for a Yugo underfolder stock assembly for a while now and have not had any luck. It sucks that parts for the M92's have all but dried up.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:01:05 AM EDT
[#35]
I agree rust doesnt look bad,  drop it in the bucket with the electric stuff,  should be just fine

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:29:39 AM EDT
[#36]
If the hammer spring still had tension, I'm betting that the gun is fine. soak it down with oil, wipe it with a rag and shoot it until hot. rinse, repeat.

I wouldn't try to restore it. It's gonna be the coolest looking AK on the site if you just wipe the rust and give it a good scrubbing. Most of that is surface, or minimal etching. The receiver rails look good.

If you want to dump it, I'll give you treefitty.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:39:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Tie a knot in your boot lace, dip in motor oil,  run through bore,  shoot rifle.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

This. You are Captain Now.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:05:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Also check out Evaporust. That stuff is EASY to use, cheap and works wonders.
View Quote

This - buy a gal of it and let that thing soak.  Then be proud of the patina you have on your Afghan battlefield pickup clone.  And yes I saw ones that were as bad as this one in Afghanistan and they would go boom when needed.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:19:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Depends on how much time you have.

You can wire wheel, wire brush, emery paper the whole thing and finish or have someone glass bead blast it.

Use a "thick" coating...probably brownells baking coatings that will fill in surface defects.

I vote for bead blast...so much better results and you won't be dealing with sanding, rinsing, rust, stink, rags, and hard to get areas.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:30:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I have been looking for a Yugo underfolder stock assembly for a while now and have not had any luck. It sucks that parts for the M92's have all but dried up.
View Quote

When they were available I managed to snag an underfolding stock assembly but totally spaced on the selector...now the selector is unobtanium
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 2:40:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Dunk in white vinegar.
View Quote

Remove wood furniture,  then soak the metal in apple cider vinegar overnight. Apple cider vinegar tends to work a little better than white vinegar does.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 4:37:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Any updates?
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 9:38:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Any updates?
View Quote

Ditto.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 9:43:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Just saw this.  Tell me that you can save the stamped part, and rebuild around it...
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 9:45:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 9:50:50 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I got an IM from a guy that is a SOT who offered to fix it up.

I'm exploring other options, but I suspect he'll end up getting the gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any updates?

Ditto.

I got an IM from a guy that is a SOT who offered to fix it up.

I'm exploring other options, but I suspect he'll end up getting the gun.
Flem on here is located in Louisiana, he's built a few guns before, I bet he could fix it up.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top