Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 22
Posted: 5/11/2016 6:51:42 PM EDT
Remember Mohammad Gulab the Afghan that saved Marcus Luttrell in Afghanistan? He's given a very scathing interview to News Week about his version of what he saw and how he preceived the events in the Aftermath of Operation Red Wings.

It's a long but interesting read:

"More puzzling: While Luttrell wrote that he fired round after round during the battle, Gulab says the former SEAL still had 11 magazines of ammunition when the villagers rescued him—all that he had brought on the mission."

http://www.newsweek.com/2016/05/20/mohammad-gulab-marcus-luttrell-navy-seal-lone-survivor-operation-red-wings-458139.html

For the record: I'm not judging Marcus or anyone else. It's not my place to and I respect and consider all involved to be heroes. Just sharing the article.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 7:02:24 PM EDT
[#1]
But it wasn’t Luttrell who saved him from the Taliban; the two had a falling out over money, respect and what really happened to the SEALs on that tragic day.
View Quote

not surprising
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:06:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:07:46 PM EDT
[#3]
In on 1.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:10:39 PM EDT
[#4]
In before Sylvan
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:11:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I've read on here before that it didn't go like Lutrell portrayed it at all but who the hell knows. It's not my place to question or judge.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:16:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Good read.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:21:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know what to believe anymore.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:23:37 PM EDT
[#8]
let the stories meet in the middle...where truth normally lies....
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:24:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've read on here before that it didn't go like Lutrell portrayed it at all but who the hell knows. It's not my place to question or judge.
View Quote

I have friends that were on the rescue team, last time I voiced my opinion of luttrell I was cussed constantly.

I'll bite my tongue this time but let's just say I'm no fan of him
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:28:33 PM EDT
[#10]
IN
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:31:30 PM EDT
[#11]
My only statement is I am glad Luttrel survived.

Without his eyewitness account, Lieutenant Murphy would not have received the Medal of Honor.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:33:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

My only statement is I am glad Luttrel survived.

Without his eyewitness account, Lieutenant Murphy would not have received the Medal of Honor.
View Quote
Indeed

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:34:53 PM EDT
[#13]
We'll never know the truth about that one.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:41:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
Other than small matter of the videos taken by the assaulters of the whole thing. The only thing more tragic than losing men to stupidity is failing to learn from it.

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:42:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sure we will...

SEALs notoriously under-plan ops and "wing it."

They had a really bad exfil plan and didn't have redundant communication capabilities.

They got into a firefight with 10-20 dudes and got their shit pushed in.

A bunch of good people got killed trying to unfuck the situation.

Luttrell wrote a book, embellished the truth (especially when to came to the size of the force that they encountered) to cover his ass.

They made a movie out of it.

The end.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:44:02 PM EDT
[#16]
In on 1. Will read the link now.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:44:10 PM EDT
[#17]
This thread is a Category 5 Shit Storm brewing.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:44:43 PM EDT
[#18]
been saying for years... that gun fight lasted for about 10 seconds... Marcus was just the luckiest and the fastest.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:46:34 PM EDT
[#19]

I believe the account in Victory Point is far closer to the truth than Lone Survivor. What really happened is something only the Taliban and Luttrell know.

It is my estimation that the Navy did not like the idea of bad press for the SEALs and concocted a script for Luttrell to follow. I don't know how anyone would handle such a situation that weaves:survivor's guilt,the loss of comrades,celebrity,maintaining a false narrative so as for whatever he has done since ,I can offer no opinion.

Jessica Lynch was in mostly  the same position but it was not really surprising that nobody was shocked when she said that the story and reality did not match. Luttrell is far deeper down the rabbit hole and,like it or not, the expectations of a 20 year old female clerk and a SEAL are far different. Does it really matter now? Not really. However,I think not wanting to discuss the truth creates a totally unrealistic expectation in so much that when something like the loss of Extortion 17 happens ,some get conspiratorial rather than accepting that war is war.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:47:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

This thread is a Category 5 Shit Storm brewing.
View Quote
Needs more Glenn Beck pet seal storytime. Complete with made up Taliban capture.

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:49:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Tagaroni.

LoL.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:53:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I have friends that were on the rescue team, last time I voiced my opinion of luttrell I was cussed constantly.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

what did they say happened
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:54:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Well the movie showed Mike giving him extra mags...

Regardless of what actually happened,  we lost too many guys that day.  
View Quote

The movie showed Markie Mark stabbing a dude with the help of a pashtun kid handin him a knife in an epic raid/battle to escape the village.

Totally real.

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:54:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Sure we will...

They had a really bad exfil plan and didn't have redundant communication capabilities.

Luttrell wrote a book, embellished the truth (especially when to came to the size of the force that they encountered) to cover his ass.

The end.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure we will...

The end.

Ayup.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:55:49 PM EDT
[#26]
The oddest thing about it (to me) is that, if the whole story has been fantastically embellished, that Luttrell was able to basically prosper and become a celebrity over it. If I had survived an event that lead to the deaths of the rest of my team then I wouldn't ever want to talk about it, write a book about it, be in a movie about it, etc...  I'd just want to drop it and be forgotten about.

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:56:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I want to know who the fuck is buying Luttrell's line of clothing and ammo?
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:57:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Shits about to get real.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Is this another case of a false hero?
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:58:56 PM EDT
[#30]
I didn't realize what a dick he was to Gulab.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:59:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The oddest thing about it (to me) is that, if the whole story has been fantastically embellished, that Luttrell was able to basically prosper and become a celebrity over it. If I had survived an event that lead to the deaths of the rest of my team then I wouldn't ever want to talk about it, write a book about it, be in a movie about it, etc...  I'd just want to drop it and be forgotten about.

View Quote

Same here.

If it is embellished then he is a POS.

I don't know enough to judge though. I just hope that he didn't see it as something to get famous for and ran with it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:59:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Anybody with a brain could tell that book stank to high heaven of bullshit and embellishment.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:00:32 PM EDT
[#33]
You could hear a pin drop though.

Oh wait. Different seal /movie.

Oops
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:01:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

... Probably nothing, considering the rescue team was killed.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:01:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Anybody with a brain could tell that book stank to high heaven of bullshit and embellishment.
View Quote

IRRC, the guy who helped train him and his brother for BUDS was a valor stealer.

If SHTF on this story, dude may need to be put on suicide watch.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:02:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:02:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would give all the money I made from it to a good cause; perhaps helping the people that saved my life and to legitimate wounded veterans foundations.

But I am an honorable person and would feel guilty about it
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:02:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would like to hear?  PM or link to previous threads?
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:03:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
In on 1. Will read the link now.
View Quote

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:05:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Ooohhh boy.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:05:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Someone in the military embellished a story?
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:05:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Somehow, the whole episode brings this to mind:

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:06:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Could it be Gulab is butthurt after the way Marcus treated him?
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:07:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Could it be Gulab is butthurt after the way Marcus treated him?
View Quote

Gulab came to Texas and shot guns and hung out with Marcus on 60 minutes.
They seemed to get along great.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:07:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Copy that, shit storm to our south and moving north, free to engage
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:08:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I pretty sure he was referring to the Rangers that went in after the QRF.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:10:23 PM EDT
[#48]
I read and watched the attached commentary. It seems that this whole thing is about money. It mentions that the person that aided Luttrel got nothing and is living in the US on food stamps, while Luttrel made a good amount of money.

I don't know anything other than I read the book and watched the film. I don't know about failed redundant communications or evacuation planning. I know that some people did not get to spend their last moments with their family which is terrible. Anytime money is involved things get dirty, but I would be hesitant to believe the claims of this guy over Luttrel. Food stamps in the USA is a whole lot better than goats and no plumbing not to mention the flow of terrorists where he came from.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:11:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's his way of absolving his guilt. He was the luckiest and the fastest to cover that day. Shit was over in a couple of seconds... this is how he absolves himself of not dying with his brothers.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:11:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've heard you speak, and it is credible.   Having talked to a few others I know, his story sounds more and more like major embellishment
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top