Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 196
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:57:50 PM EDT
[#1]
AUBURN/LSU replay on ESPNU of anyone want to watch the ending again.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:59:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So no examples of a 64+ year old coach with no previous head coaching experience at that school being hired by a P5 program?

Like I said, he's done.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

KState could have hired someone else.  They chose to hire an experienced coach who was older that 64 ... which is my point.

So no examples of a 64+ year old coach with no previous head coaching experience at that school being hired by a P5 program?

Like I said, he's done.

Keep moving that goal line.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:01:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

KState could have hired someone else.  They chose to hire an experienced coach who was older that 64 ... which is my point.

Like I said, he's done.

Fuck it, you're right.

He'll be at Auburn next year.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:02:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Fuck it, you're right.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like I said, he's done.

Fuck it, you're right.

With his buyout, why would he coach again?  He could be the next Mack Brown.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:06:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like I said, he's done.

Fuck it, you're right.

And that's the other side of the coin - why even think about coaching again?  He's got a kid in school (ironically, a QB - at UNC) and more money than he can count.  Maybe he goes Gump and just cuts the grass at the local HS from now until he can no longer steer a Deere.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:08:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

And that's the other side of the coin - why even think about coaching again?  He's got a kid in school (ironically, a QB - at UNC) and more money than he can count.  Maybe he goes Gump and just cuts the grass at the local HS from now until he can no longer steer a Deere.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, that is ironic.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:23:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hell of a game! We ended up with a great veiw of the last play.

Best part was seeing the final score of the Tennessee game pop up on the board.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:13:53 AM EDT
[#8]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY5tyzO1tZY

"fedex the 2007 win to nick saban"

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 7:49:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Wasn't LSU's current DC roommates with Herman?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bet Tom Herman's phone is ringing off the hook.

Wasn't LSU's current DC roommates with Herman?

I have no idea
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:12:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8344/29851020751_2e39bd52e3_k.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that a Disney tattoo?
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:39:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Is that a Disney tattoo?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that a Disney tattoo?

You can't hide money.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:05:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You can't hide money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that a Disney tattoo?

You can't hide money.

Last week in Huntsville I saw a sticker on the back of a Mommy SUV that said "Walt Life"

I guess I know who drives it now.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:52:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You can't hide money.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that a Disney tattoo?

You can't hide money.

Bullshit.  

<cough> Cecil Newton <cough>
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:56:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Last week in Huntsville I saw a sticker on the back of a Mommy SUV that said "Walt Life"
View Quote

That's actually pretty funny.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:26:53 AM EDT
[#15]
The source of this is Facebook, so take it for what that's worth, but a guy in the Opelika PD says the guy who was arrested for setting Toomer's Oaks on fire is a guy from Germany that is an LSU fan that lives in Auburn.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:33:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Bullshit.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that a Disney tattoo?

You can't hide money.

Bullshit.  

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:55:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:24:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm worried about the prospect of firing our most winning-est coach in history. Too much uncertainty going forward.  Especially for my wife and I as he was the only coach we've known as LSU football fans (he started our freshman year). I hope LSU made the right decision.

To Les, thanks for the decade of exciting games that kept us on the edge of our seat, good or bad.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:10:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:11:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:17:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That made me laugh for some reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...a guy from Germany that is an LSU fan that lives in Auburn.

That made me laugh for some reason.

The "Alabama fan" who poisoned the previous trees was a retired LEO from Texas.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:53:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Asked some OSU buddies opinions on the Miles situation, they all seemed smug about him getting canned.

I think there is some bad blood.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 2:46:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Like I said, he's done.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like I said, he's done.

You may be right.  Who wants to hire a coach whose offense is stuck in the 70's?  It's more likely, however, that he will end up at one of the lower tier FCS schools or an upper echelon FBS school.  I doubt he'll make the kind of money LSU shelled out for him, though.

Just my .02.

LC
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 2:50:36 PM EDT
[#24]
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17643940/les-miles-plans-coach-again-following-firing-lsu-tigers

"I don't golf," Miles told Patrick. "I play no tennis. I enjoy shooting the gun; I don't necessarily like to point it at animals. I play cards, not very well. But what I have done for probably 12 to 14 hours a day for the last number of years is coach football. So I would have a difficult time not being involved in the game and not being a coach."
"If I can find a ticket, I think they play at Florida State, I think I'll see if my son can arrange a ticket," Miles said. "I can tell you one thing, I'm going to be rooting for the LSU Tigers, I'm going to be rooting for the Tar Heels, I'm going to be rooting for the Cowboys, and I'm going to be rooting for Michigan."

Seems like a guy I'd like to have a beer with.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 3:02:29 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I'm worried about the prospect of firing our most winning-est coach in history. Too much uncertainty going forward.  Especially for my wife and I as he was the only coach we've known as LSU football fans (he started our freshman year). I hope LSU made the right decision.

To Les, thanks for the decade of exciting games that kept us on the edge of our seat, good or bad.
View Quote
Yeah, I think it was a mistake as well.  LSU had the whole picture except for the QB position.  What they needed was to hire an OC who was a really good scout of QB talent and really good at development.  

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 3:13:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yeah, I think it was a mistake as well.  LSU had the whole picture except for the QB position.  What they needed was to hire an OC who was a really good scout of QB talent and really good at development.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never understood why Cam Cameron was considered the offensive genius that his reputation garnered. San Diego's offense put up huge numbers when he was the OC, but when you have players like Ladainian Tomlinson, Antonio Gates, Drew Brees, and Philip Rivers it isn't like you need some wizard to figure out how to score points. I bet someone reading this could have called plays that would have put the Chargers at the NFL average in yds/game and points/game with those players.

If anything you might be able to say that Drew Brees's performance away from Cameron is an indicator of Cam Cameron being an QB developmental impediment instead of an enabler.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 3:23:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17643940/les-miles-plans-coach-again-following-firing-lsu-tigers

"I don't golf," Miles told Patrick. "I play no tennis. I enjoy shooting the gun; I don't necessarily like to point it at animals. I play cards, not very well. But what I have done for probably 12 to 14 hours a day for the last number of years is coach football. So I would have a difficult time not being involved in the game and not being a coach."
"If I can find a ticket, I think they play at Florida State, I think I'll see if my son can arrange a ticket," Miles said. "I can tell you one thing, I'm going to be rooting for the LSU Tigers, I'm going to be rooting for the Tar Heels, I'm going to be rooting for the Cowboys, and I'm going to be rooting for Michigan."

View Quote

I'd love to as well. I wish him luck in the future. I do wish they would have let him leave with more dignity and on his terms.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:13:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

FootballScoop Staff    ?@FootballScoop 41 minutes ago

Sources tell FootballScoop Notre Dame has parted ways with defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder http://FootballScoop.com/The-Scoop

View Quote
I said that to a buddy of mine after their dismal performance Saturday. Kelly is a bigger problem than VanGorder.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:40:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

He'll coach again. Probably at some off-the-radar school without the media glare. I wish him well. You can tell the guy eats, sleeps, breathes, loves college football.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:44:03 PM EDT
[#30]
I've always liked Miles, but I wonder if he was too hardheaded or something. It was pretty clear they were a decent offense away from being really good again, did he just refuse to make change with Cameron? Sort of feels like they're amputating a leg because of a sprained ankle.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I've always liked Miles, but I wonder if he was too hardheaded or something. It was pretty clear they were a decent offense away from being really good again, did he just refuse to make change with Cameron? Sort of feels like they're amputating a leg because of a sprained ankle.
View Quote
It's the rules changes IMHO.  The old adage was "defense wins championships."  And that was very true if you look at the old-time marquee programs like Nebraska, Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama (under Bear), Notre Dame, etc.  The formula was to have a superb defense and a ball control offense.  But in order for those defenses to work you had to be able to put a hit on a guy, especially receivers over the middle and the QB.  But due to player safety concerns you just can't hit players like that anymore.  That's made offense relatively more important, and you have the rise of "basketball on grass" teams like Oregon and Baylor.  Unfortunately a lot of good coaches have been caught in the middle of that change, and Les Miles is one of them.  Others were Pelini at Nebraska, about a half-dozen coaches at Michigan and Notre Dame, etc.  The only real exception to this trend has been Saban at Alabama, and that is because there is so much money at Alabama that they could react to the change by hiring someone like Kiffin and pay him what a head coach would make at many other top schools.  

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 7:58:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'd love to as well. I wish him luck in the future. I do wish they would have let him leave with more dignity and on his terms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the crux of the problem.  Miles was told, more than once and most emphatically at the end of last season, that things had to change.  He said they would, and they didn't.  I am no fan of Joe Alleva (I think he needs to go too) but Miles really thought he didn't have to change.  I don't know if it was stubborness or just an inability to adapt, but it caught up to him and obviously the Athletic Department, F. King Alexander and the Board of Supervisors felt they had no choice.

LC
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:23:53 PM EDT
[#34]

Nick Saban is 64 years old.  There is no way a P5 school would hire him.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:28:15 PM EDT
[#35]

You know, I think they've gotten pretty smug ever since Nick Saban. In their entire history, they've only won ONE National Championships before Nick Saban showed up.

After that time since Saban was there and up til now many fans leave and impression almost like it feels they think they're the New York Yankees of the Southern College Football.

Watching some youtube videos of how entitled the fans feel they are to winning a national championship every year. I think they're going to get smacked really hard by reality, that they have a monopoly on winning 11 or 12 games a year. I think for many years to come, it's going to be bad for them.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:32:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Saban hasn't been fired.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:36:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You know, I think they've gotten pretty smug ever since Nick Saban. In their entire history, they've only won ONE National Championships before Nick Saban showed up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Michigan fan calling LSU fans smug?

Umm ... since Nick Saban arrived in 2000, LSU has won two National Championships and finished #2 once.  

Since the same 2000 Season Michigan has not won a National Championship and has finished no higher than 6th.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:39:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Saban hasn't been fired.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Saban hasn't been fired.

Goal line thing again?!?
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:42:40 PM EDT
[#39]
She ends with that pretentious head nod after Trump said he would support her if she was elected.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:42:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

After that time since Saban was there and up til now many fans leave and impression almost like it feels they think they're the New York Yankees of the Southern College Football.

Watching some youtube videos of how entitled the fans feel they are to winning a national championship every year. I think they're going to get smacked really hard by reality, that they have a monopoly on winning 11 or 12 games a year. I think for many years to come, it's going to be bad for them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

LOL, this coming from the Michigan Man, pining for the glory years.  All teams have ups and downs, LSU is no different.  But expecting better performance from a coach you pay $4 million a year is not "entitlement".  Bad clock management and poor offensive performance are what did him in.  The administration and the fans have the right to expect good performance for their money.  The last 5-6 years offensive performance got steadily worse, not better.

Miles was given several opportunities to improve it but it never happened.  He either couldn't or wouldn't make the changes needed to save his job.

I got into an argument with a friend about this yesterday.  How many more years should Miles have been given to improve things?  One year, two years, three years?  No one seems to be able to answer that question.  Face it.  At some point you have to realize that things are not going to get better and make a change.  

Miles is apparently stuck in the 70's with his ground and pound offense, and is unable to do anything different.  It's on him.

LC
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:46:21 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
LOL, this coming from the Michigan Man, pining for the glory years.  All teams have ups and downs, LSU is no different.  But expecting better performance from a coach you pay $4 million a year is not "entitlement".  Bad clock management and poor offensive performance are what did him in.  The administration and the fans have the right to expect good performance for their money.  The last 5-6 years offensive performance got steadily worse, not better.

Miles was given several opportunities to improve it but it never happened.  He either couldn't or wouldn't make the changes needed to save his job.

I got into an argument with a friend about this yesterday.  How many more years should Miles have been given to improve things?  One year, two years, three years?  No one seems to be able to answer that question.  Face it.  At some point you have to realize that things are not going to get better and make a change.  

Miles is apparently stuck in the 70's with his ground and pound offense, and is unable to do anything different.  It's on him.

LC
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

LC

No, what I hear from LSU fans is this expectation that they should be the best team in the SEC every year. Your overall winning percentage is .650 -- not .850 or something. 3 National championships with only have 1 prior to the Saban era. And yet talking as if LSU is the premier football program in the South and has always been winning 10-11 games every year.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:48:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Goal line thing again?!?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Saban hasn't been fired.

Goal line thing again?!?

1.  Do you just really enjoy pointless arguments?

2.  The metaphor is "moving the goalposts" and not "moving the goal line".

3.  Name one fired coach the age of 63+ that was hired at a P5 school with which he had no previous association.

4.  Miles certainly may coach at a FBS or G5 school in the future, but Les Miles as a P5 coach is finished.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:51:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

3.  Name one fired coach the age of 63+ that was hired at a P5 school with which he had no previous association.

4.  Miles certainly may coach at a FBS or G5 school in the future, but Les Miles as a P5 coach is finished.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Saban hasn't been fired.

Goal line thing again?!?

Ditto?

I must, since I actually agree that he will not coach at a P5 school again.  

I'm done if you are.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:15:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Well, now that the purse swinging is over.....

Who thinks the polls are now close to,reality?  One more week and I think they will be close. Clemson and the Cards play. That should sort some things.

Ohio doesn't play anyone for a couple weeks....Wisky...them their next game is not until November. They have two games in a row then.

For the fan boys....yeah, I'd take your schedule any day of the week.

But I think you drop both your November games.

Ole Miss has time to climb....and Bama has time to drop.

For now, I think the NC is Loiusvilles to lose.  If they want it .....it's theirs.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:25:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Ditto?

I'm done if you are.
View Quote

Yeah yeah yeah, can we just make fun of RANGER's predictions again?  

That said:

UNC 48
FSU 35

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:25:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Ditto?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto?

Wait, wait, wait.

We're on a forum, and we're going to pretend that any of us DON'T enjoy pointless arguments?

Come on now.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:25:59 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Well, now that the purse swinging is over.....
Who thinks the polls are now close to,reality?  One more week and I think they will be close. Clemson and the Cards play. That should sort some things.
Ohio doesn't play anyone for a couple weeks....Wisky...them their next game is not until November. They have two games in a row then.
For the fan boys....yeah, I'd take your schedule any day of the week.
But I think you drop both your November games.
Ole Miss has time to climb....and Bama has time to drop.
For now, I think the NC is Loiusvilles to lose.  If they want it .....it's theirs.
View Quote

Nah, Louisville will lose the first time they face a good team.

They've had a cupcake schedule so far.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:30:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Wait, wait, wait.

We're on a forum, and we're going to pretend that any of us DON'T enjoy pointless arguments?

Come on now.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto?

Wait, wait, wait.

Come on now.  

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:34:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That said:

UNC 48
FSU 35

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto?

I'm done if you are.

That said:

UNC 48
FSU 35

Definitely something we can agree on.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:51:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Random double post.
Page / 196
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top