Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/2/2016 8:44:18 PM EDT
Just notified that my childhood best friend has died, as a child my Saturday morning would start with me knocking on his door and saying "Good Morning Mrs. Gory, can Matthew come out and play?"
He had been on the waiting list for a lung transplant, didn't make it.
Not the first, some accidents in the past but now they are dropping to heart attack, Cancer, kidney failure, you name it.
Thing that I'm going to pour myself a strong one.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:46:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just notified that my childhood best friend has died, as a child my Saturday morning would start with me knocking on his door and saying "Good Morning Mrs. Gory, can Matthew come out and play?"
Not the first, some accidents in the past but now they are dropping to heart attack, Cancer, kidney failure, you name it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:49:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Make every day count, sir.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:50:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry about your friend.

How old are you?
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:51:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Shit like that happens when you get old.

I have no clue what happened to my childhood friends, because I moved away when I was 13 or 14.

High school friends, army roommate, etc. are falling off their perches.

Seems almost like it's inevitable.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:51:11 PM EDT
[#5]
My friends have been dying since high school. Mostly from drug overdoses, but a few were murdered, lots died in car or motorcycle accidents. I got out of there in my early 20's and never looked back.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:55:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's really about all you can do. Everybody dies.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:55:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My friends have been dying since high school. Mostly from drug overdoses, but a few were murdered, lots died in car or motorcycle accidents. I got out of there in my early 20's and never looked back.
View Quote

Pretty much same here except for the drugs. A few suicide, two to cancer that they had as kids, two with MD, and to many to count in car wrecks.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:58:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I just had the 'first round'

3 people I knew from HS passed this year. I'm not even 30
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:00:40 PM EDT
[#9]
My Grandma used to always say; "The older you get, the more dead people you know".

Cycle of life OP. The fun and memories you had with him can never be taken away.

We are given days, one at a time, for a reason.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:02:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry to hear that friend, a toast and/or a prayer (if that's your thing) is about all you can do.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:03:18 PM EDT
[#11]
That fucking sucks dude. Sorry to hear it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:04:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where was "there"?
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:04:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I was 37 when my best friend from high school died at age 38 riddled with cancer.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:05:33 PM EDT
[#14]
"kinda" friend of mine from elementary school died last year. He was a San Antonio police officer. Another friend died a few years ago, never got to say good bye.

Other folks in the same graduating class as me have died.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:07:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I am 46 and I have already lost a few high school friends. Not really from illness so much, I imagine that is coming in the next decade or so, but there have been a few accidents, a suicide, and one cancer. Actually one guy who was a real bully piece of shit but became a hell of a decent guy after high school is dying of cancer. It's really fucked up.

We are born, we live, and we all die. But mid forties is not long enough.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:08:53 PM EDT
[#16]
For years, when I went home to visit my folks, I'd read through the obituary pages to see if anyone I knew had died since the previous month.  I finally gave up on that.

It's literally been years since I've seen anyone I went to school with on my trips to town.  Used to run into some of them in the stores, or at a gas station, or the bank.  But not for many years now.

I know there's got to be some of them left.  Hell, my mom talks about people she went to school with still being alive, so some of the people I knew have got to up walking around still, I just never run into them.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:09:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:12:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Sorry for you loss, I have been fortunate to only lose two friends. One was a really bad druggie, into heroin and finally overdoes I believe, the other was a really nice kid who dated my wife when she was 15. He was always a strange fellow, really nice but very depressed, and one day last month he had enough. He apparently got a gun, and shot himself in the head out of the blue. I think it was over a girl he was dating, it was the little sister of a lot of his friends which caused enough problems, and when they broke up he was shunned. Sad way to go, but his mom blamed the gun, not his depression
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:12:56 PM EDT
[#19]
My 95 year old Great Aunt passed away a few weeks ago.  She lived a very active an full life well past 90.  She was the last one of her generation in my family and I can only imagine how lonely she probably felt.  She watched her grandparents, parents, brothers and sisters, her husband, her son, several of her nieces and nephews, and several of her grandchildren pass on before her.  Living a life that long seems to be more of a curse than a blessing.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:13:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, I'm 32 and there has already been several.  Cancer, heart failure, suicide, motorcycle & car wrecks.   There's probably more if I think about it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:14:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:16:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Mom and Dad had very few friends their ages when they died.Mom was 87 (d.2013) and Dad was 88 (d. 2014)

I miss them every day......
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:17:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

My best friend from high school didn't make it to our 10 year class reunion.  

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:18:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yep, I'm 32 and there has already been several.  Cancer, heart failure, suicide, motorcycle.   There's probably more if I think about it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, I'm 32 and there has already been several.  Cancer, heart failure, suicide, motorcycle.   There's probably more if I think about it.

Couple suicides and drunk drivers when I was in high school, over doses, an IED in Iraq the year after we graduated.

More suicides

More overdoses

More suicides

A pair of murders

And that's just the ones I've heard about. I'm 30 and I can't count how many people I grew up with that have left us.

Makes me feel blessed when I think about it. I am blessed.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:24:22 PM EDT
[#25]
An old guy I was driving around with once laughed and said "In a hundred years, none of this will matter".  Fucker is probably dead but his words stick around.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:27:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Where was "there"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where was "there"?

About 15 miles south of Detroit
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:28:15 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm 36 and have lost a dozen or more friends from childhood including my best friend of 24 years. Not supposed to happen this way.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#28]

Sorry to hear of your loss, OP.  I'm 58, and I don't think it'll be long before some of my pals take the long sleep.

Diabetes, other things, old age.  Some are already gone from unfortunate illnesses.  I continue to wake up every day.  I am blessed beyond measure, considering the things I've done.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:36:02 PM EDT
[#29]
As cheesy and messed up as the last Indiana Jones movie was, the line "We've reached the age where life stops giving us things, and starts taking them away" has always stuck with me.  I've been surrounded by so much untimely death in the last six months it's surreal.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:49:10 PM EDT
[#30]
When I was about 55 an old friend, in his 90s, told me to always keep at least one suit freshly cleaned
and ready to wear. That I`d be using it a lot more in the coming years.

He was right.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:55:44 PM EDT
[#31]
i was 7 when that started...
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:55:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. I'm lucky that my friends are still around. I graduated in 81 with a class of 35 students, 7 of them were dead before I turned 50.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:57:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Started when I was 18 some of my friends went off to war and didn't come back.....when I hit 50 it started up again...now that I am
65 its in full swing...I get emails all the time about this old friend and that old friend dying of cancer mostly...some heart attacks or strokes..

Cycle of life...sad though nonetheless
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:03:43 PM EDT
[#34]
That is why old people are sometimes sad or grouchy. Their culture has changed and nobody is left.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:09:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where was "there"?

Howdy neighbor.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:10:14 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm seeing the same thing these days.  Former coworkers, a couple of classmates or their older siblings and a few cousins.  I dread the day when it hits closer, but it's coming.  I've got a couple of BILs who are late 60s who have nearly died this spring from pneumonia and another who is looking at his late 70s and the numbers are inevitably adding up against them.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:18:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:20:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My 95 year old Great Aunt passed away a few weeks ago.  She lived a very active an full life well past 90.  She was the last one of her generation in my family and I can only imagine how lonely she probably felt.  She watched her grandparents, parents, brothers and sisters, her husband, her son, several of her nieces and nephews, and several of her grandchildren pass on before her.  Living a life that long seems to be more of a curse than a blessing.
View Quote

I've thought the same thing about my Mom's uncle (my Grandpa's older brother) who passed away this past September.  He was 102.  Up until the end, he lived independently and was of relatively sound mind and body.  He lived to watch his grandparents, aunts, uncles, parents, 2 sisters, 4 brothers, wife, son, granddaughter, sisters and brothers in-law, all his friends, all his old time neighbors pass away before him.  I definitely feel in some ways that living that long was a curse, and a cruel one at that.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:24:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Howdy neighbor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where was "there"?

Howdy neighbor.

Former neighbor, for now.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:28:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Everyday I worry and think what is going to happen to me...As someone who went thru heck when I was four years of age when I died twice from the reaction of the Diapheria, Pertusis and Tetnaus vaccine shot I had to get before starting School. I fought Melanoma skin cancer and went under four different stomach surgeries.  Cancer runs thick in my family both on my father and mother side.

I just hope everyday I wake up and make it through.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:28:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Several friends have died over the years starting with my college roommate 29 years ago when he was 30 to my best childhood friend last fall at 59 years old.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:21:10 PM EDT
[#42]
if you are lucky...its the actors you notice first.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:07:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Live long enough, and it'll be you and a couple guys playing "last man standing".

There's no particular joy in being "it".

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:28:28 AM EDT
[#44]
I went to a very small HS with 51 in my graduating class so there weren`t many of us to begin with. Some are gone from accidents and a couple are gone from medical issues. In general our group has fared pretty well. I don`t see many of them as we all scattered like quail when we got out of school. As for the college buddies I have it appears to me that we`re ALL old as shit. Knees going, surgeries, medications, alcohol issues, can`t hit the golf ball very far any more, eye issues,,,,you name it. Getting old ain`t for sissies.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:34:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
As an old Irishman I've never been good at the nurse maid thing.

If you are in the middle of dying I don't want to hear about it.

Tell me we should get together for our last whisky together
and call it a day.

You don't tell me about your end of life and I won't tell you about mine.

We are all going to die so why bring your friends down with you.

What I said will hurt some feelings here...My old friends not so much.

View Quote

I can dig it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:35:15 AM EDT
[#46]
My grandfather died at age 95.

At 95 your wife, all of your friends and acquaintances have all passed

Only your Kids, Grandkids, Great-Grandkids, and one of your siblings (out of 7) remained to go to your funeral
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:38:46 AM EDT
[#47]
This song puts a lot of this sort of thing in perspective for me

Just Us Kids by James McMurtry
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:45:23 AM EDT
[#48]
When my mother was in her 70s her christmass cards started to decline. I think she called my attention to it when she had only 13 cards come in... In a decade that went down to zero. Then she made a few new friends...

It's not just people departing, the world we are here for is the one between our 20th and 50th birthdays. After that it starts to change. By the time we are 80 the world we knew is gone. Products we were used to are no longer made, brands go out of business, business locations move, the neighborhood changes. Traffic patterns, foods, everything is different or gone.

Sometimes it's really brought out to see, like in the first Back to the Future movie. Sometimes it's so slow and gradual you don't notice it.

Look at the difference between a span of 20 or 30 years in any part of the last century.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:57:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Loss is part of life until finally, we become the one who is lost.

It's not an easy thing sometimes.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:01:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Sorry for your loss.

I'm in my late 30s.  Two of the five groomsmen from my wedding just 13 years ago are already gone.  They were both in their 30s.  One was 30.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top