Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2016 7:29:09 PM EDT
Went and visited my grandparents last weekend and brought back a couple more family guns. I've previously brought back a couple of browning A5s, a couple of .22s including a nylon 66, and a pitted bore 7mm Mauser. This trip brought back "my" browning citori 20ga, and the one true family heirloom, a Winchester model 94 in 30-30. The story on the gun is that it was my great grandfathers gun which became my grandfathers at some point and literally fed the family one year they were so broke. The serial on it shows a late 1922 production. It's been re-blued at some point which hurts the value but it doesn't matter because it's never getting sold.

Then there's "my" citori. I say "my" because my grandfather bought the gun for me at some point, but I've only now been able to pry it out of the gun cabinet. Can't wait to bust some clays with this one.

Post your family heirloom/hand-me down guns that'll never be sold.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:34:06 PM EDT
[#1]
My gramps just gave me his .22lr stash...... all 14K of it gramps was a neckbeard from way back when... I got 500 rounds boxes a blazers with 5.99 price tags still on them
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My gramps just gave me his .22lr stash...... all 14K of it gramps was a neckbeard from way back when... I got 500 rounds boxes a blazers with 5.99 price tags still on them
View Quote

Damn, I got a bunch of old paper wad shot shells about a year ago, but no secret 22lr stash.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:44:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I love seeing posts like this. Family (gun) history is so neat. Nice guns OP. Congrats!
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:45:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Due to a recent death in the family, I am dealing with about 60 extra guns.  

They want to sell some to cover expenses, so I am supposed to find current values on them all.

There are a couple I wouldn't mind having.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:51:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn, a Nylon 66, I bought one of those about 1974, The black one.
I sold it about two years ago, it was in mint condition.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:00:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Apache black are the valuable ones, these days they go for like 6-700 bucks.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:04:17 PM EDT
[#7]
This is the 66.  It has something weird going on with the receiver cover, it's off center which makes it impossible to get zero'd.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:05:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Family guns are the best guns.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The Apache black are the valuable ones, these days they go for like 6-700 bucks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have never seen one in other than black and white.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:18:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone ever inherited a big EBR collection? seems they are usually fudd guns that get passed down.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:21:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Anyone ever inherited a big EBR collection? seems they are usually fudd guns that get passed down.
View Quote

Ask again in 50 years
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:22:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice Winchester!
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:01:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I inherited my Dad's guns when he passed away last year.  An early 50's JC Higgins Model 30 .22, a mid- 50's Iver Johnson Champion 16ga, a 1975 Marlin 336 30-30, and an early 90's Mossberg 500 12ga 20" with both the stock and the pistol grip kit.  Ì passed the 12ga to my son last Christmas, he'll get the rest when I die.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:06:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I went and visited my grandparents and all I got was chocolate chip cookies.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:10:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Ask again in 50 years
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask again in 50 years

Some kid that's never even held a gun is going to find a box of Anderson lowers when his parents die and he cleaning out their house.  

On future reddit "found a box of some type of car parts I think.  Anyone know what to do with them?"
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:10:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Ask again in 50 years
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask again in 50 years

There was a big estate sale a couple years ago with a big gun collection that had several ARs along with garands and other "fudd" guns.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:13:46 PM EDT
[#17]
When my parents divorced my dad took all the guns and disappeared with them... they all sucked anyways
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:15:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I went and visited my grandparents and all I got was chocolate chip cookies.  
View Quote

Usually I get those too
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:16:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Damn, I got a bunch of old paper wad shot shells about a year ago, but no secret 22lr stash.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He had some old wildcats, in there too... My other grandpa gave me about 5K too a few years ago too... Seems this whole panic hoarding shit aint a new trend..Im the only one in my entire family that has firearms... So needless to say some day I will get the lions share.. However, I probably wont pull the trigger on any of them I have a few from my uncle that passed away years ago, still sitting in my safe unfired. Knowing he was the last one to pull that trigger and make it go boom means something to me...
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:30:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

He had some old wildcats, in there too... My other grandpa gave me about 5K too a few years ago too... Seems this whole panic hoarding shit aint a new trend..Im the only one in my entire family that has firearms... So needless to say some day I will get the lions share.. However, I probably wont pull the trigger on any of them I have a few from my uncle that passed away years ago, still sitting in my safe unfired. Knowing he was the last one to pull that trigger and make it go boom means something to me...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As long as they don't end up getting traded for a $50 grocery card.  That's like the ultimate insult to family that took care of them so they could pass them on to their children/grandchildren.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:35:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:  As long as they don't end up getting traded for a $50 grocery card.  That's like the ultimate insult to family that took care of them so they could pass them on to their children/grandchildren.
View Quote

Given lowers these days are down to $35, I hear, making a clear $15 per lower isn't the ultimate insult.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:39:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Given lowers these days are down to $35, I hear, making a clear $15 per lower isn't the ultimate insult.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  As long as they don't end up getting traded for a $50 grocery card.  That's like the ultimate insult to family that took care of them so they could pass them on to their children/grandchildren.

Lol, grand pappy never took a mule deer with a stripped lower either.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:51:40 PM EDT
[#23]
This is a horrible picture but this was my Grandfather's 10-7 5 inch.  It's nearly perfect with great blueing and nice grips.  I don't think he ever carried it.  Still has some of the original paperwork.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:11:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This is a horrible picture but this was my Grandfather's 10-7 5 inch.  It's nearly perfect with great blueing and nice grips.  I don't think he ever carried it.  Still has some of the original paperwork.

<a href="http://s40.photobucket.com/user/mclark202/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2013-10/699B99B6-93FF-4A44-83E0-CA40EB3FFF96_zpshjmssttm.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e239/mclark202/Mobile%20Uploads/2013-10/699B99B6-93FF-4A44-83E0-CA40EB3FFF96_zpshjmssttm.jpg</a>
View Quote

I have a model 19 in nearly the same condition, only wear is near the muzzle from going into a holster. Was another of granddads guns.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:18:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:21:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

They never zeroed well because the cover moves too much and is not solid with the barrel.

Take off the scope and shoot it with irons, they are good guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is the 66.  It has something weird going on with the receiver cover, it's off center which makes it impossible to get zero'd.

<a href="http://s271.photobucket.com/user/bryanjstrong/media/guns/4D1056D9-A201-43BA-B160-7C61E0FF298F-7525-00001673F2692683_zpsca75af99.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj151/bryanjstrong/guns/4D1056D9-A201-43BA-B160-7C61E0FF298F-7525-00001673F2692683_zpsca75af99.jpg</a>

They never zeroed well because the cover moves too much and is not solid with the barrel.

Take off the scope and shoot it with irons, they are good guns.

Even the irons are off, it's really weird. I think I have it kinda squared enough to use the irons, but haven't been back to the range with it since.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:32:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I've got my great-granddad's 12 gauge double barrel. Dad says he bought it at the Wapanucka Hardware Store sometime around 1904-1905 for the brand new cost of $5.

I've posted pics of it here before.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:37:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:47:56 PM EDT
[#29]
I have both the Winchester .22's in this photo, my Grandparents holding them. They are not lefties, Mom reversed the slide....

Pop's Inland Carbine will never go...

Nice Guns OP!  

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:25:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have both the Winchester .22's in this photo, my Grandparents holding them. They are not lefties, Mom reversed the slide....

http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad172/sureshot31/Family%20Shooting%20Photos/henry_matilda_2_zps7a805bd4.jpg

Pop's Inland Carbine will never go...

http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad172/sureshot31/Dads%20Guns/3d96fc07-925c-47b5-a3cf-1e32c4ffb69f_zpskv8rc1ww.jpg

Nice Guns OP!  

View Quote

Those are nice as well, I also have my grandfathers first gun, he said he picked fruit for a month to make like $20, and spent $15 of it to buy this 410 single shot bolt gun. My dad said he shot a ton of rabbits with it too, it's been shot so much the bolt catch that stops you from pulling the bolt out every shot is worn down so much the bolt comes out about 90% of the time.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:37:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s40.photobucket.com/user/mclark202/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2013-10/699B99B6-93FF-4A44-83E0-CA40EB3FFF96_zpshjmssttm.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e239/mclark202/Mobile%20Uploads/2013-10/699B99B6-93FF-4A44-83E0-CA40EB3FFF96_zpshjmssttm.jpg</a>
View Quote

There's a Model 10 5" in the family my grandfather had reblued by S&W.  It's gorgeous.

The other grandfather slept w/ a .41" Colt under his pillow.  Rather glad I got the .22" LR revolver, I can afford to shoot it.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:41:43 AM EDT
[#32]
No family guns for me
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:59:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Nice to see so many family guns. These guns belonged to my Grandfather and were given to me by my father recently.  My grandfather was the head of Mack Trucks security and carried the .38 for years.  I gave them a good cleaning and snapped off some photo's before putting them away. I plan on taking them to the range and firing a few rounds soon.

22LR Officers Model Match

.38 Officers Model Special

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 1:15:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Nice to see so many family guns. These guns belonged to my Grandfather and were given to me by my father recently.  My grandfather was the head of Mack Trucks security and carried the .38 for years.  I gave them a good cleaning and snapped off some photo's before putting them away. I plan on taking them to the range and firing a few rounds soon.

22LR Officers Model Match

http://www.speedmph.com/Colt/Colt_22_07.JPG
http://www.speedmph.com/Colt/Colt_22_08.JPG
http://www.speedmph.com/Colt/Colt_22_09.JPG

.38 Officers Model Special

http://www.speedmph.com/Colt/Colt_38_01.JPG
http://www.speedmph.com/Colt/Colt_38_04.JPG
http://www.speedmph.com/Colt/Colt_38_05.JPG
View Quote

Very nice guns!
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:47:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Bump for day crew
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:50:27 AM EDT
[#36]
A Colt 1911 National match in .38 Special Mid range wadcutter that was used by my Godfather to shoot bullseye in the early 60's:

A savage 4C my grandfather purchased to but ole Bessy down in the mid 30's.  My dad then hunted with it in the 40's and now it has been passed on to my youngest son:

I also have a pre-WW I Darne shotgun my dad took in trade when he was in the gun smithing business in the 50's.  He thought it was too neat an action to get rid of:

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:03:11 PM EDT
[#37]
I have an old Savage 12 gauge shotgun from my Grandfather,he used it to hunt deer in the Bronx,NYC when there was still some farms in the 1950's. It's beat to shit and not worth anything but I'll never sell it.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:08:18 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View Quote
What's really sad is I'm old enough to remember that deal at Big 5.  And you could buy all you wanted

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:12:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What's really sad is I'm old enough to remember that deal at Big 5.  And you could buy all you wanted  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haven't been shooting that long, when I got started I could buy a 100rd box of Winchester 9mm for 10-11 bucks at Walmart. 500 rd bulk packs of 22 were around the same price.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:13:22 PM EDT
[#40]
My Dad was the first gun guy in the family and he wasn't a collector.  Just a security six, a wingmaster, winchester model 270 .22 s/l/lr, and a m77 7mm mauser.  I have and use all of them.  Now my kids...  there will be some inheriting going on.

My Grandfather, still living, has a single firearm..  a Win Model 69 .22lr that is in functional but pretty rough shape.  It belonged to my Great Uncle who I only vaguely remember.  If offered to me, I'll pass on it and let one of my cousins have it.   No sentimental value for me.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:47:08 PM EDT
[#41]

One of them. Dad convinced Mom they needed to buy the set of Brownings(a 12, 16, and 20) that a local attorney had taken as payment for one of his divorce cases. The lawyer was going to take some really nice guns out into a duck blind and probably have a boating accident with them.

Despite this being a very nice A5, I'm more enamored of a cheap Stevens SxS that was bought at Sears when my dad was a kid. I have that one as well, but it needs trigger work to be fully functional.
I have dad's .22lr High-standard Sentinel revolver.
There is a POS Rohm .22short revolver I have now.  My dad took this away from his mom when she bought it to shoot his stepdad.
Dad's Mossberg .22WMR single shot bolt rifle.
A Winchester stock feeding .22lr semi-auto.
Those are spoken for among my kids with explicit instructions from my dad before he passed.  
There is an old sloppily refinished(by aforementioned stepdad) Winchester falling-block .22 of some sort. Either the chamber is so corroded it wont fit a cartridge or it's not a .22lr type rifle. Octagonal barrel, lots of pitting, and as mentioned a refinished/varnished stock, and a reblued/painted metalwork.
Last on the list of my dad's guns I still have is a 20 gauge bolt action that is supposed to go to an older foster brother, but he's paranoid about transporting it across state lines.

Guns I don't have and are probably gone:
There was a WWII bringback Tokarev with Army inspection/importation papers that had an SS dagger and an interesting story from the Battle of the Bulge to go with it. This is still hopefully in my brother's possession, but he could have pawned it.
One brother has the 16 gauge A5. Another brother has the 20, and is supposed to give it to my son in the picture when he turns 18. We'll see if that happens.
There was a Remington 740 .30-06 semi-auto that I'm sure my brother has pawned by now.
A beautiful Ruger single-six that is probably pawned.

I'm lucky to have the bulk of Dad's collection as one brother is pretty much anti-gun, and the other is anti-intelligent.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 2:52:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
A Colt 1911 National match in .38 Special Mid range wadcutter that was used by my Godfather to shoot bullseye in the early 60's:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/green_c/GUNS/IMG_3605_zpsfef1403a.jpg

A savage 4C my grandfather purchased to but ole Bessy down in the mid 30's.  My dad then hunted with it in the 40's and now it has been passed on to my youngest son:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/green_c/GUNS/IMG_3262_zps5ee1ded7.jpg

I also have a pre-WW I Darne shotgun my dad took in trade when he was in the gun smithing business in the 50's.  He thought it was too neat an action to get rid of:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/green_c/GUNS/124_2434.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/green_c/GUNS/124_2432.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/green_c/GUNS/124_2433.jpg

View Quote

Love the Mid Range.   Colt's answer to the S&W 52.  Beatiful gun from back when guns were functional works of art.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 6:46:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:  No family guns for me
View Quote

But the collection you'll leave your descendants...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top