Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/2/2016 5:54:49 PM EDT
Old guy I know a little has a ton of old "50's/"60's Chevy trucks told me he has an "84 Buick Regal turbo, not sure if it's a T-Type or GN? Been sitting in one of his garage/barns for a while and he has no use for it. (not a car guy). Going tomorrow morning to check it out . I've had a lot of Fox bodies as I'm more of a Ford guy but am very interested in this...Anything to look at specifically???

EDIT- Looked at the car..,Speedo reeds 79K, needs a fuel pump to stay running. Sprayed some gas in the intake, cranked right up and sounded quiet. Interior is in pretty decent shape(driver seat torn), far better than I was expecting. Car was hit in the front, has a different nose/left door. No rot, GA car. Missing front/rear bumper filler panels and rear spoiler. Looks like If I put a few grand into it I could make a decent driver out of it. I was offered the car for $1K, I think 8 or 9 hundred will take it. Pretty sure I'm gonna get it and tinker with a little for now.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Prone to rod knock and throwing rods even when not leaned on hard, they don't oil well . . Prone to blowing spark plugs out of the head under high boost . I am also a Ford guy but have had friends with turbo buicks
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 5:59:19 PM EDT
[#2]
They are cool but I think the '86/87s were the ones to have. There were some differences that made the later ones "better". Forged internals and an intercooler maybe? Something along this lines.

I'm a Mustang guy and my knowledge of GMs is lacking, but a clean T Type is on the "want" list for me.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:00:10 PM EDT
[#3]
The GN the Darth Vader car of the 80's. They will shit and get. Would love to have one since not many left around. Look for same basic stuff like rust and seals. Just the basic stuff everything else can be replaced if needed.
Here is a little video on one.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:00:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Worst case are the engines expensive to rebuild?
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#5]
My dad had an 84 GN, and he traded it for an 87 T-type to get the extra hp. I don't recall him having much trouble, and he really liked thm both.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:05:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They are cool but I think the '86/87s were the ones to have. There were some differences that made the later ones "better". Forged internals and an intercooler maybe? Something along this lines.

I'm a Mustang guy and my knowledge of GMs is lacking, but a clean T Type is on the "want" list for me.
View Quote

I believe the pre-86 turbo Buicks were carburetor induction.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:07:39 PM EDT
[#7]
3.8SFI Turbo 6-cyl.

87-89GN/GNX, FBI was buying them for use as interceptors, because they'd take a same-year top of the line Corvette off the line, easily. Total factory sleepers.

Handling was pure Buick, though - soft and mushy, and not at all appropriate for a car with that kind of top speed potential.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:08:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My dad had an 84 GN, and he traded it for an 87 T-type to get the extra hp. I don't recall him having much trouble, and he really liked thm both.
View Quote

You have that backwards.

Either way OP, it's a fun car.   Faster than my beloved Monte Carlo SSes of the same era.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:21:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The GN the Darth Vader car of the 80's. They will shit and get. Would love to have one since not many left around. Look for same basic stuff like rust and seals. Just the basic stuff everything else can be replaced if needed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF9NXK466A0
View Quote

That's a typhoon, not a GN.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:21:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I owned an 85 T-Type Regal, the 84' you mention is the same car.
Essentially a GN without the black paint. It was a serious sleeper that was punching way above it's weight in the 0-60mph range.

Off the line the performance was V6ish, however once you hit about 15mph that big Garrett turbo spooled up and it felt like somebody put a boot in the center of your chest. The acceleration was awesome.

I will agree that the handling was pure Buick. It was a straight line car, that's it. The interior was also 100% 80's GM, and was a bit on the cheesy side.

I never had any bottom or top end motor problems however the turbo did eventually fail. The cost to replace it along with some of the other issues in the car led me to sell it at that point.

Really did like that car, in spite of all it's flaws
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:26:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Buddy traded into one dirt cheap, blew up the V6.

Turbo LS going back in.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Have had 3 of them, you want an 86-87's
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:34:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I love G bodies

never had a Turbo one though all SBC cars

you could always do something like this

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#14]
All I know about those cars is that I wish someone would make a modern-day equivalent.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:40:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I have always wanted a Monte Carlo SS to do something crazy to like keeping the original lines, but tossing in a raging diesel and 5 speed manual
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:41:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

All I know about those cars is that I wish someone would make a modern-day equivalent.
View Quote
GTO was fairly close

one could argue a Challenger is as well

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:41:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I've had a couple. The 84-85 models were non-intercooled but did have sequential port injection. The 86-87 models had the intercooler which improved performance. There used to be a big afternarket for the the cars - lots of mods were available, but that has dropped off a bit as the cars have disappeared.

The engines aren't terribly expensive to rebuild, and in fact hold up fairly well unless you get crazy with the boost or just neglect the shit out of it. They respond well to basic tweaks. Mods to programming require changing chips in the ECM which is kind of a pain in the ass.

Fun cars though, I wouldn't mind having another.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Cool cars.

I've never been a fan of cutting them or Thunderbird turbo coupes up for other engines.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:42:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And you would be absolutely 100% incorrect.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:51:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
GTO was fairly close

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
GTO was fairly close

I agree on the GTO.  The Challenger does not look sleeper enough IMHO.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:54:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
do something crazy to like keeping the original lines, but tossing in a raging diesel
View Quote

Diesel?!  Diesel is the devil's fuel!
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:54:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought a new GN in 1987. Wish I had kept it. My daughter (passed in 94) would scream "brake torque daddy break torque daddy at every stop sign.
If I ever come into some extra money I will get another one.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:59:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Back in the day I was filming a car commercial and we had one. I drove it.

It was pretty damned fast for sure.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:02:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
3.8SFI Turbo 6-cyl.

87-89GN/GNX, FBI was buying them for use as interceptors, because they'd take a same-year top of the line Corvette off the line, easily. Total factory sleepers.

Handling was pure Buick, though - soft and mushy, and not at all appropriate for a car with that kind of top speed potential.
View Quote

The FBI were actually buying the Buick Regal T-types. Same car. I know because I programmed some performance Proms for some of the cars. They basically just modified the transmission shift points.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:07:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Is the OP the "stormin norman"

If so this would be kind of a troll thread.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:10:18 PM EDT
[#26]
200hp and 15.9 second 1/4 mile(unmodified). Nothing to write home about by today's standards.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:23:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

200hp and 15.9 second 1/4 mile(unmodified). Nothing to write home about by today's standards.
View Quote
Check your records for 86-87 GN's. 230 HP (rated) 300+ lbs of torque and low 14's

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:24:22 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote
Thought Norman raced mustangs

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:25:23 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't know where you are in GA and if rust is even an issue for you? G body frames like to rust right behind the rear diff. I'm guessing this won't be a problem for you but in Iowa it's a different story.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:25:36 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Where's Dragracer Art?

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:27:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Check your records for 86-87 GN's. 230 HP (rated) 300+ lbs of torque and low 14's

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We're talking about an 84'.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:30:55 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I love G bodies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl-xUQ4L3_s
View Quote
A line-lock is what he needs. If that chain mount broke he would been in his neighbors rear patio across the street after going through his living room and kitchen.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:31:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Back in the day, I saw more on tow truck's hooks than driving on the road.  Always going to the collision shop.
Beautiful car.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:36:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol, wait is the dude nursing a Corona the entire time?    
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:38:55 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

A line-lock is what he needs. If that chain mount broke he would been in his neighbors rear patio across the street after going through his living room and kitchen.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I love G bodies

How is line lock gonna work on a AWD  car ?

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:39:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love G bodies

I don't think a line lock will work on a vehicle with all wheel drive

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:44:46 PM EDT
[#37]
I used to think they were awesome.  

But now that I could afford one, I'll never buy one.  I just know I would be disappointed.  If you just want straight line acceleration... they will be great.  Handling will feel like trying to take the Titanic down the Mississippi River.

Then of course they are your typical American car from the 80's.  No matter how cool an 80's American car is... it's a total piece of shit under the body panels lol  I'd bet one that had just been sitting in a barn with an oblivious owner will be a real winner
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:49:12 PM EDT
[#38]
The 84 and 85s were non intercooled and not impressive. The 86 and 87s were faster, high 13s stock. Mid 12s are fairly easy with mild bolt-ons. I know people that have run in the 10s with stock engines with all the bolt-ons and race gas. They're fun, but they handle like a garbage truck, don't stop worth a shit and the t-top and moon roof cars had rust problems if they were driven regularly. I had an 86 GN and an 87 T Regal years ago. I got rid of them when I got into LS cars, now I'm road racing with motorcycles.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:51:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Pimped around in a 79 turbo, black, w/red velour interior with built in 8-track, on Chi-Towns southwest side, until that is 3 dudes ripped it off. broke the steering wheel column to hotwire it...almost drove it out of the parking lot at 103 and Kedzie, before wrecking. Followed one that got on a CTA bus...cop was about to let him go until he found my Jim Croce 8tracks on him!

But that car could run...
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:56:48 PM EDT
[#40]
I wanted one when I was in high school in the worst fucking way. Gorgeous cars, absolutely gorgeous.

My buddy had a very fast one, lots of Kenne Bell stuff, it was an absolute ROCKET.......but man, the rest of the car was a typical mid 80's GM car. Basically an amazing motor wrapped in a mediocre car.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:59:26 PM EDT
[#41]
I had an '87 GN, my dad had a '87 T Type.
They both had the 3.8 SFI intercooled turbo V6.
Both would smoke just about anything on the road back then. Very nice cars for the time.
These cars really became bad assed when the intercooler was added.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:06:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
do something crazy to like keeping the original lines, but tossing in a raging diesel

They sold a diesel Regal and Cutlass (same body style).

I see them pop up for sale around here every once and a while. Always thought one would make a great host for some kind of oddball swap.

Also, they are about the newest thing you will find that is exempt from our draconian smog testing. That shit really kills the fun of owning late 70s and newer performance stuff.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:45:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

LMAO, no not "that" Stormin Norman"
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:51:18 PM EDT
[#44]
3.8s are good engines Pre 86 are non intercooled, post 86 are. Fun cars. Had one in high school. I blew it up and bought a 68 RS camaro.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:54:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The 84 and 85s were non intercooled and not impressive. The 86 and 87s were faster, high 13s stock. Mid 12s are fairly easy with mild bolt-ons. I know people that have run in the 10s with stock engines with all the bolt-ons and race gas. They're fun, but they handle like a garbage truck, don't stop worth a shit and the t-top and moon roof cars had rust problems if they were driven regularly. I had an 86 GN and an 87 T Regal years ago. I got rid of them when I got into LS cars, now I'm road racing with motorcycles.
View Quote

Thank god somebody here knows what they're talking about.  This guy is spot on with everything (except maybe the handling like a garbage truck bit...  ).  If you want a turbo Broooick, I'd keep looking for an 86 or 87.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:55:43 PM EDT
[#46]
If you really want your questions answered. Spend the time THIS WEEKEND and go to the Buick turbo Nationals in NC. Wed and Thursday the 4th and 5th there is a gathering at Richard Clarks garage, before the show/race. If I lived on the East coast I would be there.

http://www.turbobuick.com/threads/2016-turbobuick-com-nc-nationals-information-here.438069/

https://www.facebook.com/events/1733127130234028/?active_tab=posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVdGf_0pPCM
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:01:12 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've had a couple. The 84-85 models were non-intercooled but did have sequential port injection. The 86-87 models had the intercooler which improved performance. There used to be a big afternarket for the the cars - lots of mods were available, but that has dropped off a bit as the cars have disappeared.

The engines aren't terribly expensive to rebuild, and in fact hold up fairly well unless you get crazy with the boost or just neglect the shit out of it. They respond well to basic tweaks. Mods to programming require changing chips in the ECM which is kind of a pain in the ass.

These two guys are spot on. The rest of the posts in this thread are fucking dildos.

I owned an 1987 Buick Regal Limited Turbo-T and an 1987 Grand National.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:06:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Best I recall, the timing chains were the weakest link in those motors, other than the driver side header cracking.  They really were pretty much bulletproof.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:10:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

These two guys are spot on. The rest of the posts in this thread are fucking dildos.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. There's a lot of misinformation and folklore around turbo buicks. I've owned probably half s dozen, all 86-87. The last I owned was a t-type that ran a best 1/4 mile ET of 10.86 @ 127. There wasn't much on the street that could beat me in a straight line.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:15:43 PM EDT
[#50]
I know the 86/7's are better, but this thing fell in my lap for peanuts. Just hopping she's in decent shape!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top