Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/1/2016 12:37:21 PM EDT
It looks to be 17 pages documenting multiple failed angles of attack and a lot of wishes and dreams.  Report here.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#1]
FBHO
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:41:29 PM EDT
[#2]
FPNI
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:44:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Compared a gun to ABS brakes.

Yeah, that's it smart guy. Because a fucking input pedal moving in basically a 2 dimensional space getting oscillatory control based on a feedback system is totally comparable to a 360 degree grip with different environmental situations which impede the input method. How much money did they waste on this shit?
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:46:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Your tax dollars at work.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:47:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Keep criminals in prison, away from guns.  That's the best 'Smart Gun' strategy I've heard.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:49:50 PM EDT
[#6]

I do like the iGun tech, because when I shoot, I want to be forced to wear a ring that looks like it belongs to a 68 year old man who wears short-sleeved polyester shirts unbuttoned to the navel...
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:59:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Compared a gun to ABS brakes.

Yeah, that's it smart guy. Because a fucking input pedal moving in basically a 2 dimensional space getting oscillatory control based on a feedback system is totally comparable to a 360 degree grip with different environmental situations which impede the input method. How much money did they waste on this shit?
View Quote

Not to mention that car brakes still work even if ABS system fails.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:59:10 PM EDT
[#8]
even the ones that "worked" are dangerous things to implement on guns.  All require around 1/4 of a sec to activate, that may be time you don't have to spare.

Fingerprinting is useless, the second your hand sweats it wont work.  Oh raining outside?  Nope not shooting your gun!  Blood on your finger?  Nope not shooting your gun!
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:00:01 PM EDT
[#9]
A gun is a simple mechanical device. Anything they mandate can be easily bypassed or removed.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:00:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Your tax dollars at work.
View Quote

Gotta love working your ass off to pay the all mighty.gov to fund studies on how to take away your Constitutional rights.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:01:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A gun is a simple mechanical device. Anything they mandate can be easily bypassed or removed.
View Quote

Been googling around to see if anyone was selling the Armatix .22.  I want one for the same reason I want a COP .357...  History!

No luck so far.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:02:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I do like the iGun tech, because when I shoot, I want to be forced to wear a ring that looks like it belongs to a 68 year old man who wears short-sleeved polyester shirts unbuttoned to the navel...
View Quote

Don't forget the added "convenience" of having to stop and put the ring on (or be "inconspicuous" and wear it all the time ) if you are a private citizen carrying concealed for protection.

But then again, they don't give a shit, because the whole point is to effectively disarm us one way or another.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:03:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Don't forget the added "convenience" of having to stop and put the ring on (or be "inconspicuous" and wear it all the time ) if you are a private citizen carrying concealed for protection.

But then again, they don't give a shit, because the whole point is to effectively disarm us one way or another.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Honey!  I heard something downstairs.  Hand me my bling!"
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:05:42 PM EDT
[#14]
And when a mass shooting / murder happens with a "smart" gun, then what?
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:07:09 PM EDT
[#15]
It is ironic that they state that the way forward in developing new technology for this is reliant on the free market system yet they want the end result to form another way to ensure you are fully encapsulated by the Big Brother syndrome...
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:07:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Makes gloves obsolete
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:08:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's crazy talk. No one could invent sear technology and retrofit it to a gun with an electronic component.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:09:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
even the ones that "worked" are dangerous things to implement on guns.  All require around 1/4 of a sec to activate, that may be time you don't have to spare.

Fingerprinting is useless, the second your hand sweats it wont work.  Oh raining outside?  Nope not shooting your gun!  Blood on your finger?  Nope not shooting your gun!
View Quote

I don't have time for 4 or 5 swipes of my finger to unlock my gun in the middle of the night or when I need to draw.  Fucking stupid shit is stupid shit.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:11:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:13:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That's crazy talk. No one could invent sear technology and retrofit it to a gun with an electronic component.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go with an entirely electronic trigger and firing pin assembly and some smart kid is going to hack the thing to allow full auto.

Keep it mostly mechanical and any idiot with some hand tools can bypass it. Go all electronic and risk opening Pandora's box.

But of course they won't let any common sense thinking stand in the way of absurd restrictions.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:14:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Keep criminals in prison, away from guns.  That's the best 'Smart Gun' strategy I've heard.  
View Quote

That would be racist.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:19:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Summary: Every attempt before has been a failure, shit, and waste of money. But this time will be different because feels.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:20:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Go with an entirely electronic trigger and firing pin assembly and some smart kid is going to hack the thing to allow full auto.

Keep it mostly mechanical and any idiot with some hand tools can bypass it. Go all electronic and risk opening Pandora's box.

But of course they won't let any common sense thinking stand in the way of absurd restrictions.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My first thought when reading that crap.  "ATF is gonna have a cow with the electronic triggers this is going to require.  And some hacker is going to full auto all the things."
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:21:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm looking forward to reading those LE specifications in July.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:21:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

NI
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:22:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ironic, considering your username....
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:24:55 PM EDT
[#27]
"In the rare cases when the technology does fail, officers should have some way of operating the firearm when confronted with an adversary."
View Quote

Really?  Then what's the point?  If the tech can be overridden by brute force or by somehow circumventing it, what's the point of even having it on the gun?

Hilarious read.  Good luck, manufacturers.

The funny thing is that if they actually allowed firearms to have electronic trigger packs, rather than mechanical, this sort of development would probably be stupid easy to integrate.  Any computer engineer worth his salt could develop one that works fairly well inside of 6 months.  But e-triggers, iirc, are banned from commercial firearms.  I assume they're afraid that they can be made full-auto too easily
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:26:12 PM EDT
[#28]
I would rather have a Smart President than a Smart Gun.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:26:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Don't even have to read it.

You know that the summary is that "Smart Gun" technology sucks just because it was released on a Sunday.

That's the day for failure so they don't hit a news cycle.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:26:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe I can get a custom jobby?  

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:30:37 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Really?  Then what's the point?  If the tech can be overridden by brute force or by somehow circumventing it, what's the point of even having it on the gun?

The funny thing is that if they actually allowed firearms to have electronic trigger packs, rather than mechanical, this sort of development would probably be stupid easy to integrate.  Any computer engineer worth his salt could develop one that works fairly well inside of 6 months.  But e-triggers, iirc, are banned from commercial firearms.  I assume they're afraid that they can be made full-auto too easily
View All Quotes
Quoted:

"In the rare cases when the technology does fail, officers should have some way of operating the firearm when confronted with an adversary."

Maybe they mean throwing the gun at the adversary... like the bad guys used to do in the old Superman shows after they ran out of ammo...

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:31:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
FPNI
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:32:45 PM EDT
[#33]
... In conclusion: idea is dorky
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:36:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:55:34 PM EDT
[#35]

C.

Identifying Issues for Baseline Specifications

The process described above will result in the development
of baseline specifications for law enforcement adoption of advanced gun safety
technology.  

This report identifies several potential issues that law enforcement
agencies will likely consider as they develop these specifications:

Reliability

The most important aspect of advanced gun safety technology is
that the entire system be reliable.  As a
result, any new technology should not reduce the reliability of the firearm
system, as compared to existing firearms. In the rare cases when the technology
does fail, officers should have some way of operating the firearm when
confronted with an adversary.

Durability

Law enforcement officers expect their firearms to work in
all conceivable circumstances and environments, including extreme weather conditions
and when exposed to various contaminants, such as dirt or blood.  New gun safety technology should not reduce the
circumstances in which the firearm will operate, as compared to existing firearms.  

Permitting multiple users

From time to time, an officer will need to use another officer’s
firearm—for example, because the firearm has failed, or because the officer is
incapacitated.  In addition, some
firearms, such as service shotguns, are routinely used by multiple members of
the same patrol unit.  As a result, it is
important that user-authorization technology allows multiple individuals to use
a firearm, including an officer’s partner and other members of the patrol unit,
and that the technology allows for up-and down-scaling (i.e., increasing or
decreasing the number and identities of authorized persons) easily and
reliably.

Physical characteristics of firearm

Officers have grown accustomed to the appearance and characteristics
of their service weapons.  Ideally, a
firearm equipped with user-authentication technology should physically look
like existing firearms, and be recognizable to other officers and
suspects.  In addition, the technology
should not appreciably change the weight, size, or balance of existing
firearms, or increase the likelihood that the weapon would snag when drawn from
an officer’s holster.  

Ease and predictability of use

An officer must be able to activate the technology without
assistance from others, and it should be easy for an officer to determine
whether the device is working. The system should have both a very low false-rejection
rate (when an authorized user is incorrectly blocked from using the gun) and a
very low false-acceptance rate (when an unauthorized user is allowed to fire
the weapon). In addition, an officer should be able to use the firearm while wearing
gloves.  

Cost

Most law enforcement budgets devote only a small percentage
of their budget to purchasing equipment, and many departments are unable to
supply or update their existing equipment with the latest technologies.  In some jurisdictions, officers have to
purchase their own service firearms.  While
some officers may be willing to pay a premium for the peace of mind of owning a
gun with advanced gun safety technology, others may not.  

Training.

It should be easy to train officers and armorers on
user-authorization technology, and the costs of the additional training to
police departments should be minimal.

Maintenance and repair

Maintenance requirements should be held to a level that the average
officer will do, and the firearm must be capable of repeated maintenance
without damage or decrease in performance.
In cases of technical malfunction, it should be easy for an officer to
quickly reset the user-authorization system.

A police department’s armorer should be able to perform most
diagnostic tests and repairs without seeking assistance from the manufacturer

Adversarial compromise of technology.

It should be assumed that as soon as law enforcement
agencies deploy user-authorization firearms, criminals will try to find ways to
defeat the technology.  It is crucial
that the technology cannot be easily compromised even when a suspect has full
knowledge of how the system operates.  In
addition, the technology should be protected against computer hackers and
others who might try to disrupt the electronic systems that allow the devices
to operate.

External devices.

Although some user-authorized firearm designs involve
biometric recognition systems, other models rely on external devices, such as
RFID tags, that must be worn by the user.
Any external device should be as reliable, durable, and easy to use as
the firearm itself.  Moreover, the
external device should not be uncomfortable to wear or distracting to an
officer’s law enforcement operations, and should not cause medical side effects
to the officers.

Power failure

If user-authorization technology requires batteries, they
should be long-lasting and easy to recharge.
A low-power indicator should warn users well before the battery runs out
of power.

Speed of operation

Officers have to make split second decisions of life and
death.  The addition of user-authorization
technology should not increase the time of drawing and firing the weapon.  

View Quote

Ummm, holyfuckingshit.  

It's hard enough to find normal guns that meet all the gun design requirements, to say nothing of consumer electronics that meet the user-authorization requirements.  If a product is developed that meet HALF of these stated goals I'd be shocked.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:38:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Ummm, holyfuckingshit.  

It's hard enough to find normal guns that meet all the gun design requirements, to say nothing of consumer electronics that meet the user-authorization requirements.  If a product is developed that meet HALF of these stated goals I'd be shocked.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
C.

Identifying Issues for Baseline Specifications

[snip]

Ummm, holyfuckingshit.  

I see this as another Obama last ditch effort to say "At least I tried to do something."
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#37]
California adds "smartgun" technology to the "safe handgun list" requirements in 3....2....
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:40:47 PM EDT
[#38]
If enough people think it and repeat it, maybe it will come true.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:41:15 PM EDT
[#39]

Precisely!

The Conclusion paragraph at the end of the last page says it all.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:45:52 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
My first thought when reading that crap.  "ATF is gonna have a cow with the electronic triggers this is going to require.  And some hacker is going to full auto all the things."
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or get a paintball gun response trigger, maybe they will make a drop in one
For a AR.

I just pull out my hacked ring and I have full auto
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:52:13 PM EDT
[#41]
That is one way to double the value of everything that exists right now.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:55:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
YourOur tax dollars at work.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:12:58 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm open to the idea of a carry pistol only I can shoot.

I'll buy one right after most police departments and the military adopt them. If they don't want smart guns, then why would I?
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:34:26 PM EDT
[#44]
How many electronic gizmos have you had that eventually don't work, wont work, cant get parts for, and every one of them gets trashed.  State of the art technology evolves by the hour now, this shit will be obsolete in six months.  This is just something else that will eventually not work due to age, batteries, moisture, sensors, chips, you name it, it will fail.  The result will be getting people killed, not save lives.  What happens if the person becomes incapacitated and another person picks up weapon to continue the defense, they are FUCKED.

FBHO
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:35:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Really? I'd figure the report would BS about how if only the Republicans would follow Obama, guns would have IFF chips.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:41:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

This exactly. Removing the blocking pin which is how all of these systems work will be simple.

In fact I'll make it a point to produce instructional YouTube videos demonstrating how complete with parts lists and links to where to buy them. Just because I love wrecking stupid stuff.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:44:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That would be racist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be racist.

No.... You're thinking of home ownership, peanut butter & jelly sammiches, FICO scores and reading to children.

Duh.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:45:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Really? I'd figure the report would BS about how if only the Republicans would follow Obama, guns would have IFF chips.
View Quote

I'm actually pretty happy with the report.  It basically says "This sure would be neat, let's see if the cops can make it work" rather than the usual "LEO and Military should be exempt" crap.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:47:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Hi still like the idea. The tech isn't even close to ready, but there were a lot of failures before the lightbulb, too.

A carry gun that would stop working if you loose it wrestling with a bad guy is a good thing...it just needs to keep working when you get it back from the bad guy.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:53:37 PM EDT
[#50]
So, by their own definitions finger print scanners are out since the smart gun will need to be able to function even if your hands are dirty/bloody. So that means a transmitter device like a ring. Which we know a bad guy would never think to steal when he takes the gun. And if it doesn't take a ring, then the range of the transmitter will be in feet. Then the smart gun will still work even if a bad guy has taken it away from a cop as long as the gun is close. Like say in a struggle for the pistol.  The whole thing is full of derp.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top