Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:18:48 AM EDT
[#1]
For the last 38 years I have lived 87 miles (as the crow flies) Southwest of that crater and yet I still haven't visited it.

I really should remedy that....
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:20:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am not sure how that is possible since the earth is only about 6,000 years old
View Quote

Maybe this was what "voided" the earth, like taking an eraser to a chalkboard.

Genesis 1:2 "And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved on the face of the waters".

Nothing in the bible tells how many times this chalkboard we call Earth has been voided and rewritten. Genesis is just the beginning of the current story.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:23:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Giant space alien version of 9mm.  No penetration to the Earth's core.  They are coming back with their version of .45...  The 9mm test was posted to GalaxyTube.unv  
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:23:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Wow!  Thank God it missed that building!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Wow!  Thank God it missed that building!

I love GD.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:25:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

So how do we know it was only 150 feet?
View Quote

estimate based on the crater size, the average density of the recovered materials, and the average speed of meteors

could be bigger and moving a bit slower or smaller and moving a bit faster

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:31:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

So how do we know it was only 150 feet?
View Quote
http://www.space.com/834-mystery-arizona-meteor-crater-solved.html

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:35:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
was it an airburster? or did it hit the ground?
View Quote

It's a humongous fucking crater.  What do you think?
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:38:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I walked the rim trail a few years ago.  If I recall it is about 6 miles long.
View Quote

So....you gave AZ a rim job???
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:40:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Giant space alien version of 9mm.  No penetration to the Earth's core.  They are coming back with their version of .45...  The 9mm test was posted to GalaxyTube.unv  
View Quote

No no no, the .45 version hit 10,500 years ago and impacted on the ice sheet covering North America. A broken comet, pieces
of which were more than a MILE in diameter, struck the North American ice sheets.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:44:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Lucifer's Hammer, or maybe just a preview
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:45:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Whew ! Can you imagine if it hit the White House.........the world would be in chaos.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Whew ! Can you imagine if it hit the White House.........the world would be in chaos.

We could never be that lucky.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:14:45 AM EDT
[#12]
This one in Australia is now considered the largest impact in Earth's history.
The asteroid split into two 6 mile wide objects creating twin craters spanning 250 miles.
Previous record holder was the Vredefort Crater in South Africa.

Link:
Asteroid Impact  

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:20:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Pre-Clovis Man shot a prototype G17.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:31:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
For the last 38 years I have lived 87 miles (as the crow flies) Southwest of that crater and yet I still haven't visited it.

I really should remedy that....
View Quote

I drove by it (main highway) about 20 times in the last 30 years or so, finally stopped, it is worth the trip, go see it.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:32:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Yep!" I have a piece of the meteorite at home!!
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:39:27 AM EDT
[#16]
The one that hit Siberia in 1908 was impressive .

It's amazing how much damage it caused from such a small object traveling that fast.

Over 700 square miles of forest flattened
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:48:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Lots of these things around, Chesapeake bay is a meteor crater for example.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:07:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

would be tragic if it hit the White House during the annual correspondent's dinner....the loss of life
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:09:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey I've been there! Awesome place!

At the recent gem and mineral show, I picked up a chunk of meteorite from Argentina. It was in SPACE! SPACE ROCK!!!
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:14:48 PM EDT
[#20]
no way a 150' wide meteor made a crater that big on impact alone. I don't care how fast it was moving.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:24:57 PM EDT
[#21]
It cracks me up that somebody bought the crater, and tried to find the asteroid to no avail.

All that time, the remnants were right under his feet, right in the dirt he sifted, in the form of microscopic iron droplets.

How could anyone think that the object which made that hole would have survived?
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:28:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
no way a 150' wide meteor made a crater that big on impact alone. I don't care how fast it was moving.

View Quote

Then what did?

You are aware of how fast those kinda things move, right?
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:40:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:55:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Then what did?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then what did?

INSIABIA/
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:07:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Tell us more, professor.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:08:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

This one in Australia is now considered the largest impact in Earth's history.

The asteroid split into two 6 mile wide objects creating twin craters spanning 250 miles.

Previous record holder was the Vredefort Crater in South Africa.

Link:

Asteroid Impact  

View Quote
Ever look at the Gulf of Mexico pal?

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:25:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I am not sure how that is possible since the earth is only about 6,000 years old
View Quote

I thought it was Five thousand.

Is it possible either I or potentially a group of other people are somewhat ill informed and/or intentionally being misled?
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:27:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It cracks me up that somebody bought the crater, and tried to find the asteroid to no avail.

All that time, the remnants were right under his feet, right in the dirt he sifted, in the form of microscopic iron droplets.

How could anyone think that the object which made that hole would have survived?
View Quote

Well, the Russians seem to have found a diamond mine under a crater of theirs.
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-09/18/russian-diamond-smorgasbord
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:28:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Speed kills, brother.

See 5.56 related flesh wounds for a basic comparison.

Or look up this new thing call a Rail-gun that the US Navy has been experimenting with for years.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:31:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Betting they aren't especially valuable or useful, although the fact that they exist is a pretty amazing testament to the heat and explosive force unleashed by an asteroid.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:34:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Imagine you are talking to some guy who knows nothing about firearms, handed him a 55gr 5.56mm bullet, and told him that this could easily kill a man. He might laugh at the idea that anything that small could be so destructive, no matter how hard you threw it.

But, in his experiences, he is thinking of how fast you can throw something. Baseball pitchers can throw a fastball at about 140fps or so. A 5.56mm bullet is “thrown” at about 3,000fps, (depending on all the stuff everyone here is very familiar with.) That’s 21 times faster.

Escape velocity from Earth is 7 miles per second, and this is the absolute lowest speed a meteor can hit Earth’s atmosphere. The Earth moves around the sun at something like 19 miles a second and everything else is moving around at similar speeds. So it’s real easy to get an impact speed of 10, 15, or 20 miles per second. That really fast 5.56mm bullet exits the barrel doing slightly less than 0.6 miles per second.

OK…

Now, the volume of a sphere is 4/3*pi*r^3

So, if the meteorite was 150 feet in diameter, and it were a perfect sphere, then its total volume was 1,766,250 cubic feet. A cubic foot of water weights a bit over 62 pounds. Nickel/iron weighs about 8 times what water does. So, that meteorite would have weighed 876,060,000 pounds or 438,000 tons.

Now, the way if figure it, explosions are destructive because the explosive compound decomposes with so much energy that all the atoms of the explosive start moving in random directions really fast. How fast, well, TNT has a velocity of about 4.3 miles per second which is a lot slower than that meteorite was moving when it hit.

You know that a relatively tiny device called a “hydrogen bomb” can produce craters like that, right? Then it should be easy to see how some 150 foot chunk of iron moving at those kinds of speeds could do the same thing.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:39:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Nougat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's in the middle?

Nougat.

That funny!
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:45:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Pretty cool.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:48:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Hey I've been there! Awesome place!

At the recent gem and mineral show, I picked up a chunk of meteorite from Argentina. It was in SPACE! SPACE ROCK!!!
View Quote

All rocks are from space. Time+pressure changed the rocks to look different on Earth.  Hell, the rock you bought it from the same star as the Earth and all of the other matter in our solar system and it escaped for a little while, then came back.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:49:31 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote

Velocity matters a lot more than size.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:49:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Momentum = mass x velocity

Oh yes it did.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:57:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Wow the yard of my first house was only 50' x150'.  Amazing how something that size could make a much bigger crater.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:01:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That area has something for everyone. Big, well preserved crater for your science fans. Decent Elk, pronghorn and coyote hunting for others.

Between those things, I've spent a very large amount of time there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That place is interesting for about 3 mins.

Depends on how deep you inner nerd goes.
Amen....I spend hours there every time I go.  I LOVE Barringer Crater.  

That area has something for everyone. Big, well preserved crater for your science fans. Decent Elk, pronghorn and coyote hunting for others.

Between those things, I've spent a very large amount of time there.

was going to post this.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:01:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

it hit, they dug out a lot of it from one of the side walls.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:03:56 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Imagine you are talking to some guy who knows nothing about firearms, handed him a 55gr 5.56mm bullet, and told him that this could easily kill a man. He might laugh at the idea that anything that small could be so destructive, no matter how hard you threw it.
But, in his experiences, he is thinking of how fast you can throw something. Baseball pitchers can throw a fastball at about 140fps or so. A 5.56mm bullet is "thrown” at about 3,000fps, (depending on all the stuff everyone here is very familiar with.) That’s 21 times faster.
Escape velocity from Earth is 7 miles per second, and this is the absolute lowest speed a meteor can hit Earth’s atmosphere. The Earth moves around the sun at something like 19 miles a second and everything else is moving around at similar speeds. So it’s real easy to get an impact speed of 10, 15, or 20 miles per second. That really fast 5.56mm bullet exits the barrel doing slightly less than 0.6 miles per second.
OK…
So, if the meteorite was 150 feet in diameter, and it were a perfect sphere, then its total volume was 1,766,250 cubic feet. A cubic foot of water weights a bit over 62 pounds. Nickel/iron weighs about 8 times what water does. So, that meteorite would have weighed 876,060,000 pounds or 438,000 tons.
Now, the way if figure it, explosions are destructive because the explosive compound decomposes with so much energy that all the atoms of the explosive start moving in random directions really fast. How fast, well, TNT has a velocity of about 4.3 miles per second which is a lot slower than that meteorite was moving when it hit.
You know that a relatively tiny device called a "hydrogen bomb” can produce craters like that, right? Then it should be easy to see how some 150 foot chunk of iron moving at those kinds of speeds could do the same thing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But, in his experiences, he is thinking of how fast you can throw something. Baseball pitchers can throw a fastball at about 140fps or so. A 5.56mm bullet is "thrown” at about 3,000fps, (depending on all the stuff everyone here is very familiar with.) That’s 21 times faster.
OK…
You know that a relatively tiny device called a "hydrogen bomb” can produce craters like that, right? Then it should be easy to see how some 150 foot chunk of iron moving at those kinds of speeds could do the same thing.

Using the quoted numbers -

438,000 tons moving at 10 miles per second is:

42,500,000,000,000,000 foot-pounds of energy....

At 20 miles per second:

170,000,000,000,000,000 foot-pounds of energy!

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:05:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:13:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Here is the astronaut at the bottom. Took this in 2001 when I went.

http://www.eworldz.com/pix/astro.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:15:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

GD always delivers.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:17:04 PM EDT
[#44]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Velocity matters a lot more than size.

https://www.wikipremed.com/image_science_archive_68/010103_68/104950_05901_68.jpg

He's a witch!
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:18:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're nicer than I would have been.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:19:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're right. It was closer to 130 feet.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:19:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I was JUST there last week. Flagstaff is awesome btw. Fratelli's Pizza is out of this world... oh, and the Grand Canyon isn't all that bad either.
View Quote

Everyone should see it.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:22:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Great elk hunting just south of there
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:25:39 PM EDT
[#49]
IIRC, the meteor that ended the dinosaurs hit in the gulf, near the Yucatan.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/03/scientists-gear-drill-ground-zero-impact-killed-dinosaurs

The crater is more than 180 kilometers (110 miles) in diameter and 20 km (12 mi) in depth, well into the continental crust of the region of about 10-30 km depth. It makes the feature the third of the largest confirmed impact structures on Earth; the impacting bolide that formed the crater was at least 10 km (6 mi) in diameter.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:34:57 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Lots of these things around, Chesapeake bay is a meteor crater for example.
View Quote
And the Yucatan peninsula

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top