BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 16
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:16:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have your name, your DOB, your address, and your DL number. More than enough to get credit. There are enough search engines/companies to get me your social.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
To those of you suggesting credit reports, I ask this: If drivers licenses were the only thing compromised then how is credit going to be affected?

I have your name, your DOB, your address, and your DL number. More than enough to get credit. There are enough search engines/companies to get me your social.

Nah I don't think so.  Name, DOB and address is readily available on the web. Drivers license # isn't, however having the DL # isn't going to open many doors for credit.  SSN is where it's at and I don't think your going to have much luck finding my social on a "search engine".  

If you did have my SSN then having my license isnt going to get you much further than not having it as like I said the other info is already readily available.

Edit: I agree though that having your license compromised is not desirable.  Glad I uploaded my license with all of the info but my name and DOB blacked out .  It's still lame that AIM saves the copy of the license on a WEB SERVER!  I mean fuck.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:18:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
This is why its a retarded idea to require documentation that small companies cannot adequately protect.
View Quote

And why its an awful idea to provide it to them.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:18:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I never bought ammo from the because of that requirement (99.9% sure) and the fact that they were always more expensive than everywhere else.  They almost got me with the cheap ZQI but I am glad I resisted.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
To those of you suggesting credit reports, I ask this: If drivers licenses were the only thing compromised then how is credit going to be affected?

This sucks balls, thankfully my ID is years old and outdated from a prior address.

The reality is this is a very low level compromise compared to most others.  What little info they have from this will require a lot more work to get the better info on you if they intend to use it to steal identity.

Confirming your ID/age is fine but keeping this shit on file for ever is bullshit AIM.  We all know there is no damn state/federal law that requires ammo dealers to do this.  Anyone know who actually owns AIMSurplus because shit like this along with how they treat some potential customers in states in which they refuse to sell certain things because of the owners feelz is becoming a joke.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:19:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Got the letter
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:19:58 PM EDT
[#6]
My workplace somehow released all of our W2's due to a phishing scam.  
They gave us 2 years Equifax ID Patrol. I feel so much better now.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I think AIM needs to give everyone who gets a letter a special discount of some sort
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:22:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think AIM needs to give everyone who gets a letter a special discount of some sort
View Quote

Free pmag
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:24:13 PM EDT
[#9]
It happens. It's beyond my control. At least they settled up with ID protection quickly. I am an OPM data breach person too.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:25:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:  SSN is where it's at and I don't think your going to have much luck finding my social on a "search engine".  

View Quote

You don't think there are companies that openly sell personal information? Where do you think Lexis, Accurint, TLO, and other people search programs get info? There are other Skiptrace programs out there too. The tweaker network openly shares their search engine logins.

And there are companies that WILL approve credit with an incorrect social.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:28:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm not looking for that. I'm done with them.

How much profit this company makes and they leave customers vulnerable.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:30:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Oh I'm sure that there are plenty of avenues for the criminal to get a SSN, but as I said, if you can get my SSN that is tied to my name, then having my DL isnt going to be a magic key so to speak as all info on the license (with exception of DL #) is readily available online.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:31:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I don't know why they store the images of your license(s).  If they absolutely must have them, why not check a box on their end in the database that you are valid once they receive the image, and then delete the image?

Fuck... Ass...
View Quote
Probably the lawyers want to keep the record in case the man comes calling...

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:31:42 PM EDT
[#14]
From the letter it says that the "unauthorized person identified an issue." Could this mean that some gray hat found the problem and told AIM about it?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:32:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
From the letter it says that the "unauthorized person identified an issue." Could this mean that some gray hat found the problem and told AIM about it?
View Quote

Ransom-ware is a big thing.  "Pay us or we release it..."
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:33:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree, it was a dumb policy to keep customers photo ID's stored on a web connected server.  Unfortunately, there are many other online retailers that do the same (store payment info, etc).
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:34:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I highly recommend freezing your credit on all 3 credit bureaus.

My state its free with no charge,can save a shit load of grief,only takes a few minutes
View Quote

Since I'm currently working on building up my credit, and in the middle of a loan pay off...will freezing my credit prevent me from gaining credit on current loans?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:34:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds more like they got hacked and an issue they did not know existed was identified.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:34:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You're offering me ID protection?  How about you not keep electronic copies of our IDs you nitwits.
View Quote

Exactly!  My ordering days are over from there. I've ordered ammo from all over and that's the only place I can remember that wanted a copy of id.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:37:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Oh I'm sure that there are plenty of avenues for the criminal to get a SSN, but as I said, if you can get my SSN that is tied to my name, then having my DL isnt going to be a magic key so to speak as all info on the license (with exception of DL #) is readily available online.
View Quote

I can take your info and get an Idaho DL mailed to my address. Nice of them to offer that, where they will mail the new license to an out of state address. So, I have a perfect fresh copy to truly do an ID takeover.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:40:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Logged into my am account to see if my ID was still up and got an advert email within :20

So, that still works
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:42:44 PM EDT
[#22]
What are you doing Abu Aimjar?!
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:43:42 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

Holy fuck
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:44:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just received a letter in the mail stating that they were hacked and ID's uploaded to verify age were compromised.  So, per the letter, any information that was uploaded (your drivers license information) is compromised.

They're offering 1 year identity protection.  

This comes off the OPM hack that I received a letter about.  

Just an FYI as I suspect some of you may be affected.
View Quote

Me too
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:48:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Since I'm currently working on building up my credit, and in the middle of a loan pay off...will freezing my credit prevent me from gaining credit on current loans?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I highly recommend freezing your credit on all 3 credit bureaus.

My state its free with no charge,can save a shit load of grief,only takes a few minutes

It wont effect current loans and doesnt effect your credit score.

Now if you want to open a new loan or line of credit you need to unfreeze your credit from all 3 credit bureaus.

This thread has lots of info as well as the links i provided in a earlier post in this thread

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1847535__ARCHIVED_THREAD____Freeze_your_credit_people_.html&page=1
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:50:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Now that they have it, I would like China to offer a service for $25-50 where they fill out your SF86 for you.  Instead of spending all that time putting in the information, you could register on their website and keep them posted with your most recent references and addresses.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:50:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Im really shocked AIM hasnt replied yet to this thread

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:50:37 PM EDT
[#28]
I never bought ammo from them and never had my license on the site.  I also never got the letter.  Will I need to take any precautions?  For clarification, the letter says just licenses, nothing about logins or CC #'s, right?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:52:02 PM EDT
[#29]
I got my letter today. I think I'm done with AIM.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:53:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Free pmag
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Free pmag

Maybe a free upper and I'll stop being pissed...
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:56:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Every instance of credit fraud I've been involved with has been the result of a site sponsor being compromised.  Here we go again, maybe.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#32]
damnit
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:58:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
And they've been hacked too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im pretty sure Wideners does this too

Didn't Wideners get hacked and the refused to admit it or accept any responsibility for it?  I think that turned a lot of customers off, I know I never ordered anything from them again.  At least it appears AIM admitted it, I give them credit for that.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:01:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Didn't Wideners get hacked and the refused to admit it or accept any responsibility for it?  I think that turned a lot of customers off, I know I never ordered anything from them again.  At least it appears AIM admitted it, I give them credit for that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im pretty sure Wideners does this too

Wideners admitted it and when i found out i deleted my info,DL, and never bought from them again
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:02:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

you can bet they've read it while hoping it falls to page eleventybillion.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:03:30 PM EDT
[#36]
I got the letter. And I already have ProtectMyID from when TMobile comprised my info last year. Thanks AIM!  
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:05:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well here is a free bump so it doesnt

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:06:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Holy fuck
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy fuck

Somebody tried doing my taxes before me!  Now I have to wait up to 180 days to get my refund as the IRS "Investigates"
My info will be out there for the rest of my life and them some. A 2 year membership and a "We're sorry" is BS.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:08:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Well, the fuckin' chinamen already have all of my info from hacking the government, so it's no big deal at this point.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:08:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Got the letter today. While I blame the criminal for this action, I would have preferred AIM not store this info online.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:09:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Well fuck me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:10:34 PM EDT
[#42]
You lost my future business AIM.

Any "deal" I've ever gotten from you has just been erased ten thousand fold.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:12:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Signed up for Experian

Honestly I could forgive this if the people on the other end acted like they gave a shit.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:14:06 PM EDT
[#44]
I never ordered from AIM or Widners for the ID reason alone. No one else requires it. Seems unresonable
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:17:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Signed up for Experian

Honestly I could forgive this if the people on the other end acted like they gave a shit.
View Quote

Do all 3 or you still have a 66.6% chance you could get dinged only freezing one

Just sayin
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Thanks weenies.  Pay for a security professional before doing eCommerce.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I havent gotten anything yet either. I have my Id and C&R uploaded there.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Do all 3 or you still have a 66.6% chance you could get dinged only freezing one

Just sayin
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Signed up for Experian

Just sayin

You only need to do a fraud alert with one of the 3. The one you signed up with will notify the other two.
A security freeze is a different story. Do all 3 if you want that option.

Data Breach: Tax-Related Information for Taxpayers
https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Data-Breach-Information-for-Taxpayers

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:31:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Dangit! Received my letter. I did my first ammo order from them a couple weeks ago. Wasn't going to complete the order because of the ID thing, but figured I haven't heard of a gun website getting hit so it should be GTG. Guess not. Sucks, I really like AIM
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:33:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Dead to me, they are.. Not sure if I have ID on there but definitely C&R.

stupid laws like that.. they should have moved states years ago. No reason to stay in f'ed up states. We have 50!!! pick a good one.
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top