Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2016 12:43:21 AM EDT
I met a guy today that doesn't have an index finger, it was cut off in a farming accident decades ago. He shoots with his middle finger, and is a damn good shot from what I saw.

This got me thinking, what would I do if I lost my index finger and had to get it on? Suppose it's shot off in a gun fight, since we know people have a tendency to shoot at the gun instead of at the body. Maybe another reason, but regardless, is it a good idea to practice middle finger shooting? Or a waste of time?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 12:44:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Try it with an AK.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 12:46:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Shooting with the middle finger is more stable for me. I don't generally shoot like that, but the index provides a ton of support.

It feels more natural to me.

Eta: it's easier to shoot with the middle finger with my glock30S because my hand is to big to fit normally.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 12:54:59 AM EDT
[#3]
No because I can shoot right and left handed.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 12:55:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I tried sighting with my lazy eye once.

Bad, bad idea.

Very bad idea.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:01:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I use my middle finger for rapid bolt work, assuming the bolt handle is bent.  A bit more difficult to pull the trigger well, but it facilitates speed with bolt-action rifles when volume or special quickness is required.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:08:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Tried shooting a type of point shooting where u lay your index finger along the side of the pistol and use the middle finger to pull the trigger. Point your finger, which is very natural, and the gun points very natural. Pulling the trigger with the middle finger however NOT very natural, lol.

Here is a fucking stupid video from youtube that illustrates what I'm saying.

J-
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:13:43 AM EDT
[#7]
An old Marine sniper showed me how.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:14:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Ruby did it. I've tried it. Good training.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:16:20 AM EDT
[#9]
You can shoot a Lee-Enfield with your pointer finger? The more you know....
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:17:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Isn't the 'Mad Minute' traditionally shot with the middle finger?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:19:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I hear it's the most popular way for the Yakuza to shoot
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:19:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I know a girl with 5 fingers and no thumbs. She shot with her middle finger. It was so bizarre watching her do things due to a lack of thumbs but she didn't seen hindered in any way
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:25:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Came here to post that!  Beckett taught me how too!
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:40:22 AM EDT
[#14]
I find myself using my middle finger on power tools all the time. Can't say that I have shot like that.

Gonna try it next time I am at the range.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:30:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I like Stangskyting, so yes.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:30:41 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote

Eeeyup.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:30:55 AM EDT
[#17]
no.....
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:58:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
No because I can shoot right and left handed.
View Quote

No because I practice shooting with both right and left hands.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:58:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

In some countries, Britain included, musketry instruction included instruction in rapid fire.  You basically use your thumb and index finger to constantly hold the bolt knob and work it, and when you close the bolt you use the middle finger to pull the trigger, which is necessary under those circumstances.  It doesn't work so well if you have a straight bolt, though, or one with a poorly placed handle, like the Mosin-Nagant (which is bad enough that you need to unshoulder the rifle to work it quickly).
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 7:10:11 AM EDT
[#20]
You're talking about practicing for a scenario in which you are partially wounded and lose only your right index finger?  I'm all for contingency training, but that's just silly.  What if the incident also damages your middle finger?  Are you going to also practice the kneeling position from the opposite knee in case your right knee takes shrapnel?  Gonna shoot with hands covered in Ketchup to simulate blood?  Are you going to cycle a ruined magazine through your kit to simulate a bullet grazing your mag pouches?

People get so worked up about contingencies and "what if X happens?"  You can't practice everything under the sun, and if you try then you'll end up just sucking at a lot of stupid things.  Practice big things that have a lot of application.  Mag changes, stress shooting, barrier shooting, switching left/right handed.  Are there things to learn by adding in contingencies?  Sure.  But training contingencies for the sake of them are unhelpful and a waste of time.

Just my $.02  YMMV
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 7:31:21 AM EDT
[#21]
I run my cordless drills with my middle finger, I could probably pull it off on a pistol.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:35:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Tried shooting a type of point shooting where u lay your index finger along the side of the pistol and use the middle finger to pull the trigger. Point your finger, which is very natural, and the gun points very natural. Pulling the trigger with the middle finger however NOT very natural, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix4kNmEYyEk

J-
View Quote

Ouch, that vid is stupid.  Point shooting is simply laziness and an unwillingness to train.  It's a straight myth that you can't use sights in a stressful situation.  Gahhh that frustrates me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:02:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I run my 1/2" impact at work with my middle finger. Seems like I have better control of the "gun" with my hand higher up.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:09:55 PM EDT
[#24]
I do.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:18:12 PM EDT
[#25]
How about practice with your pinky?

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:19:27 PM EDT
[#26]
I do with bolt rifles.  I've done it point shooting my shitty Davis derringer, too.  Never tried it on anything else.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:21:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Ouch, that vid is stupid.  Point shooting is simply laziness and an unwillingness to train.  It's a straight myth that you can't use sights in a stressful situation.  Gahhh that frustrates me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

J-

You pretty much have to do it with Seecamps.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:46:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

While I agree with u that the video is stupid, anyone that says that point shooting is lazy and has to do with an un-willingness to train has 1) neither trained to point shoot (not like the stupid video) and 2) likely has never pulled the trigger on a real person.

J-
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:15:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes, I have smashed my trigger finger too many times, sometimes it does not work well
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:17:29 PM EDT
[#30]
For some reason I always shot paintball guns with my middle finger. But not real guns.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:20:15 PM EDT
[#31]
my lcp is small. (so is everyone else's i guess ) i shoot it as much with my middle finger, as i do with my index finger. it's easier to hold with the index finger pointed forward sometimes. it's the only gun i shoot like that though.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:22:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Not with a revolver....bad idea
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:22:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

While I agree with u that the video is stupid, anyone that says that point shooting is lazy and has to do with an un-willingness to train has 1) neither trained to point shoot (not like the stupid video) and 2) likely has never pulled the trigger on a real person.

J-
View Quote

Correct. It has range limitations, but is still a practical method and easy to teach.

Jeff Cooper was a fan of point shooting under certain circumstances (Source):

“It’s an axiom that hitting your target is your main concern, and the best way to hit is to use your sights, but circumstances do arise in which the need for speed is so great, and the range so short, that you must hit by pointing alone, without seeing your gun at all.

Pointer fire is not as hard to learn as sighting, once you realize it’s range limitations. using the 1911 auto-pistol I have found that I can teach the average infantryman to stay on a silhouette at 10 yards – using pointer fire in two shot bursts – more easily that I can get him into that 25 yard bullseye using slow fire and sights.

Of course this sort of shooting is strictly a way of obtaining body hits at essentially indoor ranges ( 30 feet and under) …. But up close pointer fire can be murderously effective, and it’s mastery is often the difference between life and death.”

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top