BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Some great replies above! In true ARFCOM fashion, FPNI.

Any concern about my truck being able to travel on unplowed roads after a few inches of snow?
View Quote
your truck will be fine expect I doubt there is any siping on those tires

stopping will be your issue, go very slow downhill and use some momentum going uphill, hopefully he isn't retarded and has the parking on a hill
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:05:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

With your full size truck, lockers and those tires, it would take a foot or more of snow to possibly give you problems.  Also, this time of the year the ground is pretty warm, so it will take a real storm to make any accumulation on the roads, paved or dirt.  If you feel like you need to put some weight in the bed, which is a good idea, throw in some sacks of snow melt type salt.  Use them for weight, and if you need to melt snow, you will have them handy.

When the snow storms roll in, it is usually the night when the storm is done, that is coldest, so the morning after when things clear is the "best" chance to find ice under the snow.  Make sure you install new wiper blades, before the trip.  You do not need fancy ice/snow blades per se, but if the rubber on yours is tired, that could be a problem in falling snow.  It sucks to be looking through a pile of moving slush.  Make sure you have a topped off wiper washer reservoir, as the slush kicked up on the highways will have you using them a lot.

Your truck is plenty capable, it's the little things that make the difference.

Craig
View Quote
winter type sand or crushed pea gravel is more effective on getting unstuck

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:05:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't overthink and just drive with caution. By the time you leave you'll have enough confidence that you'll be sliding sideways down the road (on purpose) having a blast!
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:05:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Driving in snow is not hard. Go slow. Easy on and easy off any controls. Remember it's not moving that's problematic, it's changing the movement you're making that gets hairy. Starting from a stop, stopping from speed, quickly maneuvering, that's when your wheels slide. If the wheels are are rolling, you have control. Keep them rolling, not spinning, not skidding, just rolling. You can steer the vehicle as long as the wheels are rolling.

4 wheel drive is handy, but it only helps you get moving. All cars are 4 wheel brake. That's where people get in trouble, too hard on the brakes.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:07:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I do this after the first snowfall every year
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

heres what ya do... Find an empty snow covered parking lot, and try and lose control.. Drift, learn how to spin and control your ride when its out of control... Gun it and slam on your breaks and see how long your truck slides before you regain control, just fuck around and have fun, could save your life someday..

I do this after the first snowfall every year
I do after pretty much every snowfall.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:08:33 PM EDT
[#6]
From my experience, the problem with Southern snow / drivers is piss poor tires. If your BFG ATs have less than 30k on them, you will be fine. Of course, snow is slippery. If you get a chance, test them out at the first snow covered parking lot. In the lot, mash the gas for a bit, then mash the brake.

Don't steer while braking if you can avoid it. Stay in 2WD unless you are getting stuck. I think a F150 locks the front and rear axles together in 4, that spells disaster.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:11:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
turn the steering wheel in violent, jerking motions

stomp on the gas from a dead start for best acceleration

smash the brakes at the last moment possible for best stopping ability

View Quote

This....

There are no shortcuts to driving safely and effectively in snow.  Takes years to master and most people here still cant figure it out.  Takes a bit of common sense.  Also helps to have 4 wheel drive.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:11:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
From my experience, the problem with Southern snow / drivers is piss poor tires. If your BFG ATs have less than 30k on them, you will be fine. Of course, snow is slippery. If you get a chance, test them out at the first snow covered parking lot. In the lot, mash the gas for a bit, then mash the brake.

Don't steer while braking if you can avoid it. Stay in 2WD unless you are getting stuck. I think a F150 locks the front and rear axles together in 4, that spells disaster.

View Quote

It just locks in the rear, and disengages at speeds above like 30mph.

I just found out it's supposed to put down 10-20 inches tonight (Nederland, Co), and should be snowing through my arrival. Hopefully it's not too bad.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:14:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Dibs on Truck and Yeti.

You will be fine, but one often overlooked thing to be aware of is make sure to fill up with winter rated washer fluid.  All that sand/dirt and snow being kicked up makes for a nasty combo when you cant clean your windshield.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:18:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Every year up north it takes most idiots a few storms to figure out how to drive again. Drive slow, test out how good your tires grip, brake and respond to steering. Get a feel for your vehicle's ability and you'll be fine. Don't forget to keep some weight in the back for traction.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:22:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Watch out for Larry.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:23:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Plan your trip right, http://www.cotrip.org/map.htm

Driving non stop? I would not take 70 if I where you, Its all up hill for you.

FWIW I drove on Aspen to home, 14 hours away in a day, with 8 inches of snow on the roads from Aspen to the pass, and I did fine. I was in a KIA sorento with AWD. Granted I am from CT and grew up in the snow and had a rwd geo tracker for my 1st car.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:32:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Light throttle. Put some sand bags in the back. Locker will keep you from moving forward sideways. Light on the brakes, you shouldnt have to feel hurried to stop when coming up to a light or stop sign. Don't use 4wd until you get used to the snow a bit.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:33:08 PM EDT
[#14]
The faster you go the better off you are.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:43:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Take some aspirin.  You will need them at that altitude.  Headache for a few days
View Quote

This is anecdotal but works for me.  Start extra hydrating a week before you go.  Have a bottle of water on you at all times while in CO.  Drink often!  1-2 gallons a day is reasonable in my opinion.  The altitude causes increased urination, respiration and perspiration, you dehydrate fast with the dry air. Avoid booze or at least don't whine about the worst hangover you will ever have.  Or have a glass of water between drinks.  It is sometimes difficult to sleep for the first few days

If your lips are chapped, you are behind the curve.  

Kids suck with altitude sickness.   I've had more than one trip affected by a stubborn individual.  Last trip was $200 for hospital and $400 for oxygen generator rental.    Insurance does not like to pay for the oxygen because they feel you could have gone back to a lower elevation as the hospital recommended, rather than incur a bill for continued fun.  Make them drink water even if you have to drip it on their lips while they sleep, it's cheaper.

The elevated heart rate ruins sleep for me.  I can hear it pounding in my ears all night.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:47:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
No chains needed. Go slow, leave a ton of room to stop. remember 4wd wont help you slow down
View Quote

. While not Chains One is required to have tires for the weather

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/csp/trucki70

http://www.tirechain.com/COLORADO-ROAD-CONDITIONS.HTM

http://blogs.findlaw.com/law_and_life/2014/11/is-it-illegal-to-drive-without-snow-tires-snow-chains.html

Colorado requires noncommercial drivers to use tire chains or "adequate snow tires" on mountain highways during heavy snow conditions. Law enforcement may designate a road or pass as requiring either snow tires or chains, or as requiring chains only (depending on conditions).

CO will ticket you (still not an actual law) for having unsafe tires. One of those Mmmm you were not prepared for weather conditions shit, they make up as they go along.
It's called the COAST / Chains Or Adequate Snow Tires law. Now they call it what ever they feel like.

Just saying IF you have an accident, go off the road, get stuck etc.  Doubt it will happen. Your tires look good and something at least 1/2 the pick em ups here are driving on tread wise.

Drive safely, drive responsibly and most of all IF you feel uncomfortable driving in bad weather pull over. It's Colorado. Don't like the weather wait 20 minutes, it will change.

Plenty of NON- Alcohol fluids for the trip, snack bars, Change of clothes , SHOES AND SOCKS.  Throw a few sand bags in the truck bed,
cell phone charged and spare gas can.

It's what we have for our vehicles year round.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:56:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Here in central Kansas, most stock half ton trucks are not doing real well in 15" of snow.  

If you have to save yourself,... Cause you're stuck, exposure is real dangerous...  This might be in the dark on more roads you don't hardly know in the light...

If you are stuck and need rescued, some else is exposed to real dangerous also...

Please be careful and don't push it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:57:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Any concern about my truck being able to travel on unplowed roads after a few inches of snow?
View Quote

Your good dude. Up here in the great frozen tundra suzy soccer mom's plow through 8 inches of snow in their ford focus. Your biggest problem will be you worrying, not your truck.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:58:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Keep the speed below 45mph in ice conditions. Dedicated snow
tires vary in ice traction and stopping distance, but none work well
above 45mph.

I've been stopped on an ice covered road when the car started sliding
sideways because the road was at an angle.  Studs and chains are the
only thing that will save you when it is that slippery.  Roads are not
perfectly flat like the ice skating rings tire manufactures show off
their tires on.  Studs and chains are still a necessity, especially on
icy hills and mountains.

I checked Consumer Reports, but they have not tested BFGoodrich
All-Terrain T/A KO2 for Ice Braking yet. They test 10-0 mph and even
winter tires vary a lot at those speeds.

If I were going anywhere in the mountains I'd want chains for all 4
tires and a full size spare.  I've slid on ice and hit the curb so hard
it bent the rim.  A full size spare saved me, although I was changing it
at 10pm in the middle of a snow storm.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:02:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Not a big deal especially this time of year.   Your vehicle is fine.   Your driving technique needs to be "smooooth".  
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:41:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I just found out it's supposed to put down 10-20 inches tonight (Nederland, Co), and should be snowing through my arrival. Hopefully it's not too bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Staying in 2WD until you are stuck is terrible advise. I have pulled out tons of people that got themselves stuck in 2WD, that 4WD couldn't get them out of, that would have sailed right through in 4wd. The F150 has part time 4wd, which has no center diff and does turn the front and rear drive shafts at the same speed. As long as you are not on dry pavement it works very well.

The rear locker on the other hand, should only be used to get unstuck (or to have fun spinning circles).
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:45:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Dibs on Truck and Yeti.

You will be fine, but one often overlooked thing to be aware of is make sure to fill up with winter rated washer fluid.  All that sand/dirt and snow being kicked up makes for a nasty combo when you cant clean your windshield.
View Quote

Forgot to mention this.....if its filled with water...and water expands when frozen....guess what happens to the washer lines.

Fill it with antifreeze and spray until it comes out blue/green. At least that's anti in MI
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:51:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Do everything slow.  Dont be an idiot.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:52:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Have a few quarts of blood taken, ship it to Colorado to get doped, re-up when there. You need every advantage you can get OP
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 12:12:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Don't go.  If there is snow on the ground a Texican will die from the cold.  RIP.  
View Quote

Make fake Colorado plates.  If we see you in a ditch and you have Texas plates you will be in for a surprise.

Many of the replies are in jest.  You may have to delay travel if it gets bad.   Even people who live here end up in the ditch when the roads become icy.     This is not to scare you but you have to be cautious.  If you have high winds then you can have blizzards even with a small amount of snow.

The practice in an empty parking lot is a good idea if you can find one.   Start at 5-10 MPH then brake gently.  See how the truck handles.  Then brake harder.  Increase speed (not highway speed) carefully to learn how to handle skids.  There may even be YouTube videos on it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 12:16:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Honestly, on a 4x4 with good tires, a locking rear axle, good ground clearance and some weight in the bed, with you driving using your head you should have no problems.

Just be sure that the roads actually have a coating of snow on them before going into 4x4.  I've seen several F-150s with blown transfer cases when New Jerseyites heading to snow mobile country will put them in 4x4 while driving down the interstate because it's snowing, even though there's no snow sticking on the pavement.

FWIW, I usually don't put mine into 4x4 until there are several inches on the roads.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 12:24:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Honestly, on a 4x4 with good tires, a locking rear axle, good ground clearance and some weight in the bed, with you driving using your head you should have no problems.

Just be sure that the roads actually have a coating of snow on them before going into 4x4.  I've seen several F-150s with blown transfer cases when New Jerseyites heading to snow mobile country will put them in 4x4 while driving down the interstate because it's snowing, even though there's no snow sticking on the pavement.

FWIW, I usually don't put mine into 4x4 until there are several inches on the roads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My truck had an optional transfer case to allow for 4-Auto for highway use; it'll kick the 4WD on if it feels it slipping, but it's kinda clunky. It also has 4H and 4L.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 12:26:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Several weeks ago the road into town was iced over.  I drove about 30-35 MPH.    I had about ten seconds of separation with the vehicle in front of me.

A Jeep Grand Cherokee was about two car lengths behind me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:52:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Some of this advice is not all that goofy.

What I often did every year  at the first snowfall was find an unplowed BIG EMPTY parking lot (with out those tire stop hunks of concrete in them)......and let er rip.  Accelerate hard, stop hard, turn, steer, and cut up until you figure it out.

Physics is a bitch you don't screw around on.

AWD is greater than Fourwheel drive is greater than Front wheel drive........don't rent a Mustang.

We would also avoid out of state licensed drivers.

*25 years in snow country.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 7:01:53 AM EDT
[#30]
2014 F150 4x4 + BFG TA KO2 lol I wish had  the same setup.
You're completely safe in 20 inch of snow !
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 7:41:16 AM EDT
[#31]
This time of year the roads are more likely to be wet than snow covered. Been to warm.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 7:42:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This time of year the roads are more likely to be wet than snow covered. Been to warm.
View Quote

The rain makes them wet, then the snow falls and makes a layer of ice underneath.

Good times.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 6:50:03 PM EDT
[#33]
AAR:
You guys were right; not much too it. I was way overthinking it, it's all just a truck sliding around.

The directions were confusing though, and after 16 hours straight of driving, and my first time in some legit snow/downpour, I ended up going the way the owner specifically told me not to go. It was probably the roughest of the entire trip, it took 4L and the locker engaged to get up it. It made the trip up a hell of a lot of fun. I would imagine any 2wd would have some trouble getting up that grade even in the summer.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top