Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/28/2016 8:56:00 PM EDT
Gents,

I'll be driving up to Colorado soon, and have rented a house in the mountains @ 9,000ft. Several of the reviews, and the owner himself indicated the road leading up to the house requires a 4wd or AWD vehicle to reach it. As luck would have it, they're anticipating a few inches the day I'll be arriving, who knows how much that'll be at 9,000ft. Admittedly growing up in Texas we never really got "snow"; it was just ice that the city didn't have the infrastructure to deal with; nobody could drive on it.

I've got tons of experience in mud, sand, and really any Texas off-road conditions, so adverse conditions don't bother me; I've just never been exposed to snow. .

That said, I'd like to avoid looking like a complete idiot or hurting my truck if I can avoid it. I'm taking a 2014 F150 4x4 (w/ e-locker) up there, with relatively new BFG TA KO2s, and I'm wondering if I'll have any trouble with that setup? Any tips for locker usage? Are chains typically required this time of year? Any sage wisdom to help me not be a dumbass?

Any help ARFCOM could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: Just found out this is going on now; I leave tomorrow night. Seems the forecast was updated. :(

AAR:
You guys were right; not much too it. I was way overthinking it, it's all just a truck sliding around.

The directions were confusing though, and after 16 hours straight of driving, and my first time in some legit snow/downpour, I ended up going the way the owner specifically told me not to go. It was probably the roughest of the entire trip, it took 4L and the locker engaged to get up it. It made the trip up a hell of a lot of fun. I would imagine any 2wd would have some trouble getting up that grade even in the summer.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#1]
turn the steering wheel in violent, jerking motions

stomp on the gas from a dead start for best acceleration

smash the brakes at the last moment possible for best stopping ability

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:59:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

You forgot to add, always steer in the opposite direction of the skid.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:59:24 PM EDT
[#3]
No chains needed. Go slow, leave a ton of room to stop. remember 4wd wont help you slow down
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:59:35 PM EDT
[#4]
4WD makes you invincible.

Drive as fast as you can in any weather/visibility conditions!
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:59:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote
Definitely this.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep that's pretty much it. It's counter intuitive, that's why people have problems.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:00:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Slow. Down.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:01:37 PM EDT
[#8]
don't drive faster than you are willing to slide

use your anti lock brakes

when things get interesting

only use one control at a time

brake, steer, or power

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#9]
When you need to accelerate 100% throttle,  when you need to brake 100% brake.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:02:57 PM EDT
[#10]
When traveling forward, momentum is your friend. That is, unless you are trying to stop.

Take it easy on turns and corners. If your back end starts to slide out on you, back off the gas. If your front wheels lose traction in a turn (you'll know it when your steering wheel suddenly feels loose and your truck suddenly goes straight), straighten your front wheels and ease back into the turn.

Weight in the back can help.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:03:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No chains needed. Go slow, leave a ton of room to stop. remember 4wd wont help you slow down
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:04:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Ur gna need a brodozer
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:04:30 PM EDT
[#13]
New tires suck in snow.  Bald is better.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:09:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Some great replies above! In true ARFCOM fashion, FPNI.

Any concern about my truck being able to travel on unplowed roads after a few inches of snow?
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:11:00 PM EDT
[#15]
heres what ya do... Find an empty snow covered parking lot, and try and lose control.. Drift, learn how to spin and control your ride when its out of control... Gun it and slam on your breaks and see how long your truck slides before you regain control, just fuck around and have fun, could save your life someday..
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:12:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:12:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Find an empty parking lot with snow.  Drive on it.  Try different things.  Accelerate.  Brake.  Turn.  etc.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:14:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
heres what ya do... Find an empty snow covered parking lot, and try and lose control.. Drift, learn how to spin and control your ride when its out of control... Gun it and slam on your breaks and see how long your truck slides before you regain control, just fuck around and have fun, could save your life someday..
View Quote

I do this after the first snowfall every year
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:14:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Dibs on guns and ammo.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:25:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Find an empty parking lot with snow.  Drive on it.  Try different things.  Accelerate.  Brake.  Turn.  etc.
View Quote

Slow down on everything that you do, easy inputs, steer in direction of skid, distance yourself from others, think ahead and do not panic.

That said, AWD is not a magic feature to have. Winter tires make a world of difference, and make sure to get them if you have >4 inches snow regularly imo. I bought a set of GT Radial Champiros ice pro's for my daily driver last November. My front wheel driver never lost traction in the snow, and it went through snow and ice no problem.

Winter tires, winter tires, winter tires............

ETA: I see you got BFG KO2's nice job. Those will work well, you don't need studs. Watch out for black ice.....it can be anywhere, anytime, any temperature as it takes time to melt. You won't see it until you lose traction.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:26:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Any concern about my truck being able to travel on unplowed roads after a few inches of snow?
View Quote

You're worried about a few inches?

Just stay where you are.  Silly Texans.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:28:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Just stay where you are.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just stay where you are.

Hell if I know what to be worried about; I can judge just about any pasture/road/creek crossing after a heavy rain here in Texas, but I've just never been in snow. If it's roughly the same thing as a mildly slick mud road, I'm not too worried. I just need some context.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:28:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Take some aspirin.  You will need them at that altitude.  Headache for a few days
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:29:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Youll be fine.  

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:31:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

No.

Trucks aren't best for snow due to weight distribution. Old BFG ATKOs were hard compound, so not the best handling in snow and ice-not sure if they changed that.

That being said, your truck should be able to go through at least 18" of snow and is in the upper-realm of vehicles when it comes to off-road capability. If there is more than a couple inches on the ground/all the roads are unplowed/the driveway is from hell, air down the tires some as you would in mud.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:32:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Make sure you turn your hazards on and drift in and out of lanes.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:35:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Had God meant Texans to ski, He would have made bullshit white.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:35:41 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote
A few inches, no problem. More than a foot or 2 might need the chains. You get used to it pretty fast.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:36:09 PM EDT
[#29]
With your full size truck, lockers and those tires, it would take a foot or more of snow to possibly give you problems.  Also, this time of the year the ground is pretty warm, so it will take a real storm to make any accumulation on the roads, paved or dirt.  If you feel like you need to put some weight in the bed, which is a good idea, throw in some sacks of snow melt type salt.  Use them for weight, and if you need to melt snow, you will have them handy.

When the snow storms roll in, it is usually the night when the storm is done, that is coldest, so the morning after when things clear is the "best" chance to find ice under the snow.  Make sure you install new wiper blades, before the trip.  You do not need fancy ice/snow blades per se, but if the rubber on yours is tired, that could be a problem in falling snow.  It sucks to be looking through a pile of moving slush.  Make sure you have a topped off wiper washer reservoir, as the slush kicked up on the highways will have you using them a lot.

Your truck is plenty capable, it's the little things that make the difference.

Craig
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:36:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Snatch strap, or chain, or good rope, cold weather gear in case (when) you get stuck, a 50# tube of sand for traction.

Remember one thing, 4wd, or Awd wheels will slide just as well as 2WD.  

Space in front of the vehicle(s) in front of you is a good thing.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:39:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

No.

Trucks aren't best for snow due to weight distribution. Old BFG ATKOs were hard compound, so not the best handling in snow and ice-not sure if they changed that.

That being said, your truck should be able to go through at least 18" of snow and is in the upper-realm of vehicles when it comes to off-road capability. If there is more than a couple inches on the ground/all the roads are unplowed/the driveway is from hell, air down the tires some as you would in mud.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

He's got KO2's, he should be good there. Trucks can struggle with rear traction, yes, and hills will certainly show. Its not snow that causes problems, its the ice underneath if its an unplowed road.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:39:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Dibs on guns.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:41:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Where and when are you going? For the right amount of cash (or ammo ) I could drive your truck for you?
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:41:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:41:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Outstanding replies here guys; thanks a ton. Puts my mind at ease.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:42:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Weigh down the back end, drive slow, don't do anything stupid and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:43:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Just drive like it's just white mud.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:44:01 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View Quote

A few inches is nothing.  (also, that's what she said)

Driving on a snowy road is a lot like driving in mud.  Pay attention to what the tires are doing and let off the throttle if they start to spin.  Stay in the tracks of the previous vehicle to avoid the slush.

Like all other perilous driving conditions, go slow and avoid using the brakes as much as possible.  Stay in low-gear when going down hill.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:44:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Truck as in pick up or truck as in SUV ie; Tahoe?  Tahoe will do much better unless you have some tube sand or other weight in the bed of the pickup.  Those pockets for 2x4's near the floor of the bed do a great job keeping it where you want it.  

Ice SUCKS!  Snow has grip but too much that has been driven on can pull you around.  Fresh deep snow isn't as bad as rutted up snow of equal depth.  

Easy on the gas and brakes, ease into turns or corners and you'll be fine.  As someone said, find a parking lot and see how your vehicle reacts.  You want snow to fill the sipes of your tires, that's one difference between mud and snow tires.  The snow will give you grip.
View Quote

ARFCOM will love this, but I'll have my usual truck toolbox, and a fully loaded Yeti 85 (no Yeti stickers on the truck), so hopefully that along with my gear should be enough weight.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:44:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Keep moving and weight in the bed.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:45:08 PM EDT
[#41]
4wd just means you'll have to walk further when you do get stuck
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:47:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:47:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Drifting.

Op is finally going to learn how to do it.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:48:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Slow. Down.
View Quote

True in every case, except when approaching a hill. If I'm behind you and you slow down thinking you can creep up that hill I will fucking murder your ass. Speed. The. Fuck. Up.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:49:10 PM EDT
[#45]
I've never heard anyone in the mountains of Colorado say they are glad they don't have chains.

Is the road plowed, is it steep, is it rocky, is it paved, is it 4x4 in the summer and nearly impassable in the winter, is it along a cliff with a fatal drop?

If your wheels slip, lock em.

95% chance you'll be fine with what you have.  A foot of snow on graded road, 70%.  Rocky icy snowy bulldozed jeep trail, 30% chance you make it, chains get ya back to 70%.  Have a phone.  If no service, if you start having trouble, might want to turn around before you get stuck.

We had 4 guys shovel a 1/2 mile worth of snow to get a 4x4 International truck with chains on all four wheels, from the wood pile to the road.  Still had to back up onto packed snow, build speed and push ahead another 25 feet.

A foot of powder on a nice hill, you are not going far without a tractor, plow, chains and sand.

Worst case, rent snow machines.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:50:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
When coming to a stop off road or poorly maintained road I sometimes just throw the thing in neutral and let the snow stop the vehicle.  This keeps you on top and not chocking your wheels.
View Quote

Plus you have better braking and steering if you are coming to a stop and you are sliding , pop it in to neutral and you will be surprised how much more traction you gain.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:52:16 PM EDT
[#47]
I grew up in snow, and learned to drive in the winter months in SWPA.

drive in slow motion; fast moves ( steering inputs or acceleration/braking) are bad news.

leave room between you and other vehicles, gear down a bit and let the engine brake for you.
you'll need a little momentum to go up hills; don't stop on the hill.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:52:25 PM EDT
[#48]
and when you are in that empty parking lot testing your skills, remember not to wrap it around a light pole.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:53:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
and when you are in that empty parking lot testing your skills, remember not to wrap it around a light pole.
View Quote

Those are not poles, they are pylons.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:56:02 PM EDT
[#50]
When it comes to chains, it's far better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Especially in the mountains...

You should be fine though...just take it slow.  it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be.  Drive slow, and make very slow inputs to the controls.  Easy Peasy.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top