Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

George Washington in this case.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I see no difference in the dangers of manufacturing your own guns for personal use or for sale, but then again, I despise the ATF and don't think it should exist in the first place.  When did it become commonplace for government to regulate everything anyways

George Washington in this case.

Actually it was the 18th Amendment.  The excise tax which Washington enforced in putting down the Whiskey Rebellion was repealed in 1801.  Distilling your own was then fine until Prohibition, and after the repeal of same the excise tax regime was reinstated on all alcohol, not just spirits.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:32:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It is not illegal to make.  It is illegal to sell........

View Quote

Nope.  Even beer was illegal to make from prohibition until 1978.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:42:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

A friend of mine made one. He got the plans off of the Internet and got all of the materials together. He is a plumber by trade so everything he used was lead free and safe for human consumption. It looked pretty good and he was happy with the way it turned out but he has never used it because he is afraid he will cook up a bad batch and get people sick. It was only a small one, he size of an extra large cooking pot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go into your local homebrew shop and ask to buy a still.

A friend of mine made one. He got the plans off of the Internet and got all of the materials together. He is a plumber by trade so everything he used was lead free and safe for human consumption. It looked pretty good and he was happy with the way it turned out but he has never used it because he is afraid he will cook up a bad batch and get people sick. It was only a small one, he size of an extra large cooking pot.

he would be fine, the dangerous (blinding ) occurs if you don't discard the first few ounces of the batch  and the last few (where the temperature is still warming/ cooling)  that is when methanol and other crap comes out of the still
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:43:42 AM EDT
[#6]
For the same reason it's illegal to mint coins.  

Power.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:47:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I live less than 5 miles from the moonshine capitol of the world.  

I can go to WalMart on any given day and see an old pickup truck with a still in the back...
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:53:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, it's actually illegal to make.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:08:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I used to be an avid homebrewer.  While I had my favorite or "regular" brews I used to make, I liked trying to brew different styles.  I had a converted refrigerator and kegged all my brews and always had 3 different beers on tap in my basement.  Anyway, I thought I wanted to try brewing an "ice" beer and was told this was a strict no-no as it is considered a form of distillation.   Crash cooling to 31 - 32 degrees and skimming the final product of the ice layer(s) that form on the top.  (Water freezes before ethyl alcohol and skimming ice is a way to artificially increase the alcohol content of the brew).  IIRC there was a certain amount of beer/ale you were allowed to make a year that was for "personal consumption" before you needed to get permitted and taxed.....yea right....
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:12:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I used to be an avid homebrewer.  While I had my favorite or "regular" brews I used to make, I liked trying to brew different styles.  I had a converted refrigerator and kegged all my brews and always had 3 different beers on tap in my basement.  Anyway, I thought I wanted to try brewing an "ice" beer and was told this was a strict no-no as it is considered a form of distillation.   Crash cooling to 31 - 32 degrees and skimming the final product of the ice layer(s) that form on the top.  (Water freezes before ethyl alcohol and skimming ice is a way to artificially increase the alcohol content of the brew).  IIRC there was a certain amount of beer/ale you were allowed to make a year that was for "personal consumption" before you needed to get permitted and taxed.....yea right....
View Quote

It's one of those things (like making more than you're supposed to) that's illegal, and virtually impossible to enforce...unless you help the authorities out by being a moron about it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:17:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I'm not even sure I buy the tax argument anymore.

There are hobbyists all over the country that would gladly pay a tax on whatever they make at home, but they're not even allowed to.

The blindness thing doesn't hold water either, because there's no way you're ingesting enough methanol out of the 5 gallon batch you made in your kitchen to do it - even if you drank the heads straight (which will be mostly acetone, and taste like shit).

I'd be more worried about improper sanitation when making beer, but the government doesn't seem to care enough about that to make it illegal either.

At this point, I honestly think it's just bureaucratic inertia, with a healthy dose of "it's always been this way". People just assume there are good reasons for it and start hypothesizing what they must be. There just aren't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you even go blind, bro

I may have....uuuuhhhmmm....well I still have my eye sight. So no that is not the reason. That is a stigma that is attached to enforce the real reason. Taxes and government control.

There are hobbyists all over the country that would gladly pay a tax on whatever they make at home, but they're not even allowed to.

The blindness thing doesn't hold water either, because there's no way you're ingesting enough methanol out of the 5 gallon batch you made in your kitchen to do it - even if you drank the heads straight (which will be mostly acetone, and taste like shit).

I'd be more worried about improper sanitation when making beer, but the government doesn't seem to care enough about that to make it illegal either.

At this point, I honestly think it's just bureaucratic inertia, with a healthy dose of "it's always been this way". People just assume there are good reasons for it and start hypothesizing what they must be. There just aren't.

This.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:40:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

its a self correcting problem, if you are not sanitized, then you wont make beer.

ie you have to be sanitary when making beer.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:41:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:56:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I may have....uuuuhhhmmm....well I still have my eye sight. So no that is not the reason. That is a stigma that is attached to enforce the real reason. Taxes and government control.

Never ascribe to mal-intent what can be explained by incompetence.

TC
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:58:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I googled and it said there is no distinction in the law for personal use and for sale
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I googled and it said there is no distinction in the law for personal use and for sale

you are correct

and it's George Washington's fault..he went after those damn Scot-Irish moonshiners and it's been illegal since.
All over a tax stamp,,hmmm?
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:12:45 AM EDT
[#16]
pay the tax man and it is ok
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:13:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Taxes.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:14:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
pay the tax man and it is ok
View Quote

I'm not allowed to, or I would.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:16:31 AM EDT
[#19]
I read somewhere, it was legal to make to use as fuel. Guess not.

This blog provides information for educational purposes only. All copper "moonshine"
distillers featured on the site are non-functional props. All recipes and "how to's" are theoretical. All scenarios are fictitious. No laws were broken during production of the material found on this site. Products sold are intended to be used in accordance with the proper licensing or permitting procedure of the respective jurisdiction of the user. Read our complete legal summary for more info.

January 11, 2013
Is Making Moonshine Legal?
Know Your Rights - Moonshine Laws
Unless the thought of digging ditches with chains around your ankles is appealing, you better read this article on the legalities of making moonshine very closely. There are federal and state laws regulating home distilling. To avoid trouble with the federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies and officials, you'll need to comply with federal and state laws, as well as any local laws. We'll summarize federal laws in this article, which are important to know. However, also be sure to check out laws regulating distillation for your state.

Federal Distillation Laws
Federal law states that it is legal to own a still of any size. It doesn't matter if you have a 1 gallon still or a 100 gallon still. According to the feds, it is legal to have a still for decoration, distilling water, distilling essential oils, etc. The still does not need to be registered with anyone and no permits are needed as long as it is being used for the aforementioned purposes. However, be advised it is illegal to distill alcohol without having either a "distilled spirits permit" or a "federal fuel alcohol permit." It does not matter if the alcohol is for personal use only, not for sale, etc.

A common misconception is that only stills 1 gallon and smaller are legal. This is not true. Actual law merely states that stills 1 gallon or less that are not being used to distill alcohol are not tracked by the TTB (see more on this below. It is perfectly legal to own a still larger than 1 gallon so long as it is not being used to distill alcohol or it is permitted to be used for distilling fuel alcohol or spirits.

Federal Distilled Spirits & Federal Fuel Alcohol Permit
If a person wishes to legally distill alcohol, they have two options. The first option is to obtain a Federal Distilled Spirits Permit. This is the permit that industry giants like Jack Daniels and Makers Mark distilleries possess, which makes it legal for them to distill and distribute to the public. As one might imagine, this permit is very difficult to get.

In short, unless you're opening a distillery with the intention of selling your product in liquor stores, don't even bother looking into getting a distilled spirits permit; it's way too expensive and complicated for a home distiller to obtain. Instead pursue a fuel alcohol permit (which we'll describe next).

Option two is a Federal Fuel Alcohol Permit (link below), which is free and easy to get. We've never heard of anyone being denied the permit and have never heard of anyone even being checked up on. Just be advised that the feds will expect that you're putting your alcohol in you lawnmower, and not drinking it!

Federal Fuel Alcohol Permit
Here's the link for the federal fuel alcohol permit: http://www.ttb.gov/forms/f511074.pdf If you happen to build a Clawhammer Supply moonshine still kit, you'll write "Clawhammer Supply" in the manufacturer line and your order number for the serial number (e.g. "6601"). List the type as a "pot still." The capacity is the size of boiler (i.e. 1 gallon, 5 gallon, 10 gallon, etc...).

Note, if you're not planning to use your still for alcohol you do not need to get a permit or register the still with the federal government. Federal rules state that stills only need to be reported / registered if the Federal Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau asks the manufacturer to do so (more on this below). Though, again, if you are using it to distill alcohol, you will want to get a federal fuel alcohol permit (or a spirit distillers permit, if that's what you're using it for).

State Distillation Laws

http://www.clawhammersupply.com/blogs/moonshine-still-blog/7155304-is-making-moonshine-legal
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:23:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It's kind of ironic that the same government which professes to be concerned about ethanol poisoning also requires a poison (euphemistically referred to as a "denaturant") be added to all untaxed ethanol...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If someone screws up a batch and it makes people sick, blind, or dead then that's not a good thing.

It's kind of ironic that the same government which professes to be concerned about ethanol poisoning also requires a poison (euphemistically referred to as a "denaturant") be added to all untaxed ethanol...

I don't know much about distilling but I'm pretty sure it's methanol that's poisonous.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:23:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It was established to pay for the revolutionary war.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Read about The Whiskey Rebellion--George Washington no less went after farmers for making their own & not paying taxes.

It's horseshit to say it's about public safety, methanol, going blind, etc--like with most things--follow the money, based on our history.

And their is no difference re: personal use or sale-you cannot legally distill ethanol in the USA without paying for permits, taxes etc.

It was established to pay for the revolutionary war.

There was a tax imposed on western Pennsylvania alcohol sales to "pay for the rebellion."

We are STILL paying that tax today!
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:26:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I read somewhere, it was legal to make to use as fuel.
View Quote

With a permit. And it carries the same problems as getting an FFL at your home address, when you're really only interested in it as a hobby.

You're inviting the man into your life big time, and it's still illegal as fuck to actually drink your product.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:28:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've always wondered why it was illegal to make your own moonshine?  Why is this something the government even regulates.

I'm assuming the answer is revenue, but I could be wrong
View Quote

In part correct.

If not done correctly, it can be a deadly poison. Lots of people died during prohibition due to it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:32:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

With a permit. And it carries the same problems as getting an FFL at your home address, when you're really only interested in it as a hobby.

You're inviting the man into your life big time, and it's still illegal as fuck to actually drink your product.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I read somewhere, it was legal to make to use as fuel.

I found and post some info.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:35:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Another example of bullshit we shouldn't be tolerating.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:37:46 AM EDT
[#26]
taxes,

get a license and make all you want
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:38:39 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote
No different than buying a "water pipe for tobacco use only."  Don't get caught.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:39:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wrong
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:40:40 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
In part correct.

If not done correctly, it can be a deadly poison. Lots of people died during prohibition due to it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've always wondered why it was illegal to make your own moonshine?  Why is this something the government even regulates.

I'm assuming the answer is revenue, but I could be wrong

In part correct.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2010/02/the_chemists_war.html

I never knew a moonshiner who wasn't more than willing to drink his own product first.  

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:46:42 AM EDT
[#30]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdwUpxkfSJw
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:47:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Stealing from the collective is counterrevolutionary, Comrade!
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:49:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Because the tax man says so!

Be that as it may, I've had vodka made by a Boeing chemical engineer.  It was amazeballs.
View Quote

Hey, that chemical engineer can't possibly make safe alcohol without the government looking over his shoulder! That is not safe!

(thats what we call a joke, son)
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:49:32 AM EDT
[#33]
You know what they called the enforcement guys after Prohibition?  Revenuers.

Not law enforcement, tax collectors.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:50:47 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

taxes,

get a license and make all you want
View Quote

Only run you about $500k to step into the arena.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:50:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Government can't tax it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:52:31 AM EDT
[#36]
So one Saturday morning I pop into the local home brew shop.   The places around here are Brew 'N Grow.  They cater to home beer/wine hobbyist as well as people who want to grow their garden in the attic or basement....for some reason.  So half the store is home brew and the rest is hydroponics, giant sodium lights and the gear you need for your indoor garden.  So when you go there and talk to an employee you either get the hardcore home brewer or the hardcore grower.  So this morning I get a hard core grower.  And just that morning he must have been eating the shit out of some premo purple beefsteak tomatos.  Needless to say he had his greens for the morning.    SO I ask him, where they have the Hydrometers.  He shows me the one version he has, designed for beer.  It doesnt quite have the scale I needed for wine.  Then this guy who is clearly really into growing basil year round goes tells me how I am looking for illegal paraphernalia for distilling alcohol. Selling and owning that sort of equipment is illegal yadda yadda.    Funny to be read the riot act from a guy like this.  Lulz.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:53:36 AM EDT
[#37]

Because making moonshine is directly correlated to inbreeding.

Can you say, 'Government eugenics program?'
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:58:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Tax revenue!  Whiskey Rebellion was the first tax rebellion here. George Washington was not happy.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:00:52 AM EDT
[#39]
The Man needs to collect his taxes citizen...

Now pick up that can!
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:02:35 AM EDT
[#40]
I know at LEAST 5 who make their own, I don't know about permits/licenses, but all of them are pretty open about making their own.
I know they don't sell any, I have been around many times when others asked.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:02:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Because while government is a necessary evil, they often branch out of their own accord into unnecessary evil. Usually for money or raw power.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:02:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My grandfather made tons of home-made wine over the 50 years he was here in America.  That never went afoul.  He also made 'moonshine' (probably 180 proof, give or take) from boiling the grape pressings leftover after, and that went fine as well.

People have been making hard alcohol on their own for centuries, but all of a sudden it's now "not safe" to do so?  

1. My opinion: This stems from the fear-mongering and controlling interests that prevailed in the USA during the 1900's.  We weren't a 'free' people then - only 'free' to be controlled and told what to do by special interests.  We remain that way today, and gladly allow lobbyists access to our elected lawmakers.

2. The fears of people using abandoned car parts ... Criminy, when is that going to stop?  Sure, a very few may still do it, but since we aren't buying or trusting alcohol from people we don't know and trust, it really doesn't affect the population as a whole. Anyone chancing home-made brews from unknown sources has the same mental capacity as those drug users who chance using another druggy's needle.  Their problems and losses are not my concern.

3. Blindness?  Just don't drink a lot of the heavy stuff.  I've heard that even the purest stuff can make you temporarily blind if you treat it like it's only 80 proof

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:09:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

he would be fine, the dangerous (blinding ) occurs if you don't discard the first few ounces of the batch  and the last few (where the temperature is still warming/ cooling)  that is when methanol and other crap comes out of the still
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always wondered how they knew how much to throw away.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:12:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If it were legalized today, there would be thousands of spirit stills sold and manufactured for several months.  By the end of the first year of legalization, craigslist would be full of stills and mash pots for sale.

It's hard and tedious to make good whiskey, rum, vodka, or any other high quality spirits.

When properly done, you can make better spirits than you could afford to buy from a liquor store.

When attention to detail and proper practices aren't followed, it's terrible.
View Quote

So you're saying it's the same thing as making beer then ? Many do it- Few make it good
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:13:26 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

With a thermometer.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:20:27 AM EDT
[#46]
As usual....it's always about the money

Also BIG distillerys and brewerys hate competition

and lobbied to eliminate the "recreationalists"

And not to mention...."it's for your safety"
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:21:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If it were legalized today, there would be thousands of spirit stills sold and manufactured for several months.  By the end of the first year of legalization, craigslist would be full of stills and mash pots for sale.

It's hard and tedious to make good whiskey, rum, vodka, or any other high quality spirits.

When properly done, you can make better spirits than you could afford to buy from a liquor store.

When attention to detail and proper practices aren't followed, it's terrible.
View Quote

So just like brewing beer.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:29:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

If wackin' off hasn't taken my sight yet, then I'm not afraid of a little firewater.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:32:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can make it for you own consumption.  When you sell it your cheating Sam out of his taxes and he don't like that.  If you go legal and start paying taxes on the moonshine it's perfectly legal...
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:34:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Amazon has them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amazon has them.

It's legal to have a still.   You can run it all day long to distill water.

It's when you start using it to distill liquor that the goverment gets their panties in a twist.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top