BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 2:43:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're talking about a whole genre of real time strategy games. What thematic elements did it have? Modern warfare? Sci Fi? Fantasy?

ETA: Kinda sounds like Civilization.
View Quote

Yea the darkened map sounds like civilization
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 2:44:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
X-Com UFO Defense was like that... probably not what you're looking for as it didn't have tanks and all that.
View Quote

It sure did have tanks!

Only reason I can recall that is I was playing XCOM just last night.  www.openxcom.org has an open source multiplatform clone of X-Com UFO Defense/Enemy Unknown.  I forgot how hard that game was without cheating!
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 2:44:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Played in 86 to 88, we are talking early pentium chip days, maybe a 286 machine.
View Quote

Those two are no where near each other...

Pentium. As in Pent, as in 5, as in 586. You're talking the era of 286 or even 8086/8088 machines...not the mid-90s Pentium era...don't forget 386s (also late 80s), 486s (late 80s/early 90s)....
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 2:46:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Janet Joe.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 2:48:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

That's it!!! Holy shit. 1977...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like the original Empire.   Also played a version on the Mac called Strategic Conquest.

That's it!!! Holy shit. 1977...

Empire was more like Heroes of Might and Magic rather than Command and Conquer.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 2:49:43 PM EDT
[#6]

I played days of Command HQ.

The random capital option, future war possibly ww4.
Playing that map option, I got the capital of Jerusalem and the enemy was Cairo.

Capital next to capital in a game where catching the enemies capital ended the war.

I loved the rebellion option in civilization when you capture the enemy capital also.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 2:55:18 PM EDT
[#7]
And for all of us older than dirt who remember CGA graphics, here's a website that takes us back to those days of yesteryear.

Digital Antiquarian

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 3:07:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe a early version of command and conquer
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 3:22:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Pentium. As in Pent, as in 5, as in 586. You're talking the era of 286 or even 8086/8088 machines...not the mid-90s Pentium era...don't forget 386s (also late 80s), 486s (late 80s/early 90s)....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Played in 86 to 88, we are talking early pentium chip days, maybe a 286 machine.

right machine wrong era. although I was playing it on a 286 in 86-87.  We were using 286 and upgrading to 386 when I left the company I was working for at the time.  I also had just bought all the goodies to build my first top of the line machine.  It was a long time ago and we had just had a baby and I was working 12s and longer at the time javascript:insertText(''); .  The whole thing is just a blur now.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 3:28:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 3:34:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Or Herzog Zwei.

Two of the oldest RTS games that had features we now identify as staples of the genre.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dune II?

Or Herzog Zwei.

Two of the oldest RTS games that had features we now identify as staples of the genre.

herzog zwei (my cousin and I always pronounced it zeewee because we were kids when it was out) was on Sega Genesis -- did they make it for PC, too?

It was a freaking awesome genesis game. We'd stay up for hours battling each other on split screen.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 3:40:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What was the old one where you had 2 Apes standing on opposing sides of a cityscape taking turns throwing bananas at each other and you had to enter the angle and power to compensate for "wind" that changed every turn and the bananas would leave craters in the buildings if they missed. Me and my brother played the crap out of that game.
View Quote

Rampage? But, that was Godzilla and King Kong...
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 3:46:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
And for all of us older than dirt who remember CGA graphics, here's a website that takes us back to those days of yesteryear.

Digital Antiquarian

View Quote

CGA?!? How archaic!! It's all about VGA, baby!

Start digging for some gold so you can afford to marry a whore!

Miner VGA

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 3:59:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Leisure Suit Larry
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 4:04:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

What was the old one where you had 2 Apes standing on opposing sides of a cityscape taking turns throwing bananas at each other and you had to enter the angle and power to compensate for "wind" that changed every turn and the bananas would leave craters in the buildings if they missed. Me and my brother played the crap out of that game.
View Quote

Holy shit. I played that on DOS back in the day! I haven't thought about it in years, but me and my dad played the hell out of it.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 4:07:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Holy shit. I played that on DOS back in the day! I haven't thought about it in years, but me and my dad played the hell out of it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A near pixel perfect remake of the 1991 Qbasic Gorillas game. Try to hit the other gorilla by throwing bananas at it. Use trial and error to find a suitable angle and velocity.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/moly/gorillas-bas
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 4:15:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Dune?
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 4:34:02 PM EDT
[#18]
The original Rts game that started them all was Dune II
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 4:40:49 PM EDT
[#19]
The game you remember will be far more enjoyable than the game you find. Keep it as a fond memory and be happy. Going back that far in time the graphics will make you want to pull your hair out.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 4:43:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Still the best RTS game of all time.  I think it came too late for OP's game, though.  It was released in '97.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Total Annihilation

Still the best RTS game of all time.  I think it came too late for OP's game, though.  It was released in '97.

+1

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:04:01 PM EDT
[#21]
empire

link
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:15:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
right machine wrong era. although I was playing it on a 286 in 86-87.  We were using 286 and upgrading to 386 when I left the company I was working for at the time.  I also had just bought all the goodies to build my first top of the line machine.  It was a long time ago and we had just had a baby and I was working 12s and longer at the time .  The whole thing is just a blur now.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:33:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You're talking about a whole genre of real time strategy games. What thematic elements did it have? Modern warfare? Sci Fi? Fantasy?

ETA: Kinda sounds like Civilization.
View Quote

I wasted months of my life playing Civ on an old Tandy.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:37:47 PM EDT
[#24]

Nostalgia. I wish I could play it again sometime.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:41:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
+1  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Total Annihilation

+1  

gog.com has TA, Core Expansion, and Kingdoms for $10 bucks.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:41:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Fuck it. ADVENTURE for the win. XYZZY, bitch!!!
View Quote

Damn I remember that one.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:54:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Gemstone Warrior apple 2c?
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:03:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Total Annihilation

+1  

I never got to play TA against anyone other that AI. I still have the CDs.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:06:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Commodore 64 had some good ones, like Airborne Ranger.  You parachuted out of a plane behind enemy lines and had to set claymores on bunkers.  
  On another note, anybody remember a game where it was all the crazy dictators in the world and you nuked each other's country?
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:31:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The game you remember will be far more enjoyable than the game you find. Keep it as a fond memory and be happy. Going back that far in time the graphics will make you want to pull your hair out.
View Quote

Not true.  A good game is a good game.  I still occasionally dig out the original panzer general, civilization 2, x-com and a few others.   If the game play is good you don't even notice poor graphics.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:38:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:50:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The original Rts game that started them all was Dune II
View Quote

I played that alot in college on a top of the line 486dx33. It was very addictive. Damn it, now I want to play.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:50:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That's what I was thinking as well.  Did it look like this?

https://www.lfgdating.com/gamer-dating-blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/redalert_03.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably some version of Command and Conquer where the C&C logo was not as prominent as the game version..

Red Alert or Tiberian Sun maybe.

You honestly couldn't have been much more vague about the game.

That's what I was thinking as well.  Did it look like this?

https://www.lfgdating.com/gamer-dating-blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/redalert_03.jpg

Played that like 2 weeks ago.  I still love it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:57:07 PM EDT
[#34]
If you liked Herzog Zwei, there's a modern-day counterpart called AirMech.  FTP on Xbox One.

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:03:43 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote

It was insane with multiplayer.  

I spent the better part of a summer with my friends hanging out and playing LAN games.

We once had a 17 hour long match one that huge 40x40 map.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:14:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Total Annihilation

+1  

If you put the cd in a normal cd player ( like in a car) , you can listen to the music on it. Same with Quake 2.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:16:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I spent the better part of a summer with my friends hanging out and playing LAN games.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My first experience with multi player was with a 14.4 modem. I think it took about 17 hrs

When i reflect back on the time I have spent gaming, about 30% of it was spent playing TA. Mostly in the early 2000s, after the proliferation of cable internet.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:17:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

7 islands, or Over Crude Water. Both are pretty damn huge. There are people still making mods for that game, one of them redid the AI and the vehicle models, and added a new faction. There are insanely huge vehicles that dwarf krogoths now.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:22:44 PM EDT
[#39]

andromeda% /usr/games/adventure

Welcome to Adventure!!  Would you like instructions?

Okay, the graphics do leave something to be desired.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:35:18 PM EDT
[#40]

Strategic Simulations Inc had some addictive, kick ass games back in the day.

My favorite of all time though:

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:45:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Total Annihilation is what you seek.

Great game.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 7:39:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Not true.  A good game is a good game.  I still occasionally dig out the original panzer general, civilization 2, x-com and a few others.   If the game play is good you don't even notice poor graphics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I own 2 PS3s and pretty much only use them as BluRay players. For games, my N64, NES, and Wii get BY FAR the most usage in our house. Graphics are a long distant second to the "fun" of the game.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 12:57:28 PM EDT
[#43]

Loved Crescent Hawk,  in the academy you could put a rock on a directional key into a wall and come back a few hours a rich man if you invested.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:22:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Gorilla Bas if memory serves.  Scorched Earth was better.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top