Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Keep in mind. Cpt. McCall couldn't bury Gus until the Spring.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 4:59:15 PM EDT
[#2]
The economy is not the same as other places.  We don't have the quantity of really high paying jobs other states have.  What is happening is working class folks are having a hard time with the dream of owning some property because land values are shooting much faster than salaries.  Where you can afford a good chunk of land is not going to work if you are not already retired.  Same story lots of places.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:12:32 PM EDT
[#3]
My experience is limited to a 4 week backpacking expedition in the Tetons and some in Yellowstone, Idaho and Montana. I also hunted for 2 weeks in Medicine Bow National Forest (SEast side of Wyoming). That was enough to convince me that it is indeed Gods country.  I persued a college degree to facilitate my moving out there ( Forestry and Hydrogeology).  Then I met a Girl, fell in love with her, been married to her for close to 30 years now and never made it out west.  It remains one of the biggest regrets in my life.  I would move to Wyoming tonight if I could.  And they call Montana "big sky" for a reason....
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:20:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice thing about Montana is that as long as you enter a river at a legal access point, you can wade fish the whole length of the river.

In Wyoming, landowners own the bottom of the river where it runs through private property, so you can't wade or anchor, you can only float the water.

Everyone should go to Montana.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:47:57 PM EDT
[#5]
If I were to get a pretty healthy chunk of cash, I would move to Northern Wyoming around the Tetons in a heartbeat. I loved Montana when I stayed there for a Summer, but Wyoming just felt better, more homey.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:48:58 PM EDT
[#6]
There's quite literally nothing in Wyoming.

If you can find a job that pays you to live in Wyoming and work there, good on you.

At best, I can just commute there.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 5:59:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would like to live in Montana and have a pick up truck.
View Quote

Youre a Texan.
You should at least already have a truck.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:02:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Neither.  People are rude, land is expensive and hard to come by, very few luxuries when living in a city, slow internet, bad cell phone reception, hunting is vastly over-rated, crime is under-rated, jobs are scarce, and 90% of both states is flat badlands no different than New Mexico or Nevada.

As for the 10%, all those fancy pictures you see are merely that...pictures.  Most of them photoshopped to enhance colors and "beauty".  None of it actually looks like that.  It's rugged mountains.  

Why in the world anyone would move there is beyond me.  Winters are miserably cold, summers are garbage, fires are rampant, and you have to deal with all the nimrods that fall into the trap of believing it's pretty...or something.

Take my advice - to the beach.  There's no where good in Montana or Wyoming.
View Quote

You forgot the lions, pet eating wolves, and bears, week long blizzards, months of dust and no rain, half of Wyoming can't even grow grass unless you irrigate it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:20:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Other than his last sentence and his percentage of "flat badlands", I mostly agree with him. He's right about the picture part, shit just look at Google Earth, not huge amount of green in those Sat photos, yet every picture shows there green mountain peaks etc. I'm not agreeing on the Photoshop part, just they cherry pick the pictures/parts of the State.  My ex said she was shocked by the lack of old growth trees in MT, she actually preferred WY. My favorite was Flat Head lake/Valley, but I was told that because of the Lake, the winter sky is very gloomy and not clear. I know that after about two weeks, if I don't see some blue sky and Sun, we all seem the get mildly depressed.

People up there seem to drink pretty hard too.

I have an ex who moved up there for a guy, she was a city girl, scared of bugs, etc... She seems to be doing okay, but he has a fairly good paying job and she's working two jobs. People can read or hear all they want about a place, until they have made an attempt to live there, you never know. Everyone is different. I have a friend who misses Pittsburg winters, I think she's nuts lol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Neither.  People are rude, land is expensive and hard to come by, very few luxuries when living in a city, slow internet, bad cell phone reception, hunting is vastly over-rated, crime is under-rated, jobs are scarce, and 90% of both states is flat badlands no different than New Mexico or Nevada.

As for the 10%, all those fancy pictures you see are merely that...pictures.  Most of them photoshopped to enhance colors and "beauty".  None of it actually looks like that.  It's rugged mountains.  

Why in the world anyone would move there is beyond me.  Winters are miserably cold, summers are garbage, fires are rampant, and you have to deal with all the nimrods that fall into the trap of believing it's pretty...or something.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic.

Other than his last sentence and his percentage of "flat badlands", I mostly agree with him. He's right about the picture part, shit just look at Google Earth, not huge amount of green in those Sat photos, yet every picture shows there green mountain peaks etc. I'm not agreeing on the Photoshop part, just they cherry pick the pictures/parts of the State.  My ex said she was shocked by the lack of old growth trees in MT, she actually preferred WY. My favorite was Flat Head lake/Valley, but I was told that because of the Lake, the winter sky is very gloomy and not clear. I know that after about two weeks, if I don't see some blue sky and Sun, we all seem the get mildly depressed.

People up there seem to drink pretty hard too.

I have an ex who moved up there for a guy, she was a city girl, scared of bugs, etc... She seems to be doing okay, but he has a fairly good paying job and she's working two jobs. People can read or hear all they want about a place, until they have made an attempt to live there, you never know. Everyone is different. I have a friend who misses Pittsburg winters, I think she's nuts lol.

You kind of sound like someone that doesn't have the testicular fortitude to live in Montana, no offense.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:46:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You forgot the lions, pet eating wolves, and bears, week long blizzards, months of dust and no rain, half of Wyoming can't even grow grass unless you irrigate it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit.  Be prepared to see countless photos of wolves that maim a pregnant cow and launch into it's uterus to pull out the unborn calf...eat 5% then leave it all to die.  

Seriously...don't come here.  Go to the beach.  Montana, nor wyoming have beaches and sun and happiness.  

Wyoming, be prepared to travel to shop.  Seriously.  Unless you live in Casper or Cheyenne, you will get Wal Mart (maybe) and that's it.  You'll have to drive several hours to get to anything that resembles society.  While on that drive enjoy vast amounts of hills, endless amounts of antelope that want to charge your truck (suicide rate jokes go here too), a couple oil wells, and two lane roads with semis roaring along at 90mph while the speed limit is astonishingly 65mph unless you're on 90 or 25.  

Aren't as many places to shoot as you think, no ranges to play on, and the availability of anything besides your most basic, basic, BASIC firearms is non-existent with prices being retail + 20%.  

Like I said...go to the beach.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:31:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Never move to Montana freezing your ass off here is no joke
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:33:33 PM EDT
[#12]
My neighbor lived in Montana awhile. He's back now.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:36:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Montana is horrible. No jobs, terrible wages if you can find one, trannies everywhere and shitty drivers.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:36:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I lived in Wyoming for ~5 years.

I really, really, really love the state. I'd live there now if I could, but the very things that make it so awesome, are some of the same things that make it nigh impossible for somebody in my profession to live there. There just isn't enough opportunity.
View Quote

Yup.  No jobs at all.  Icky womenz.  Nothing but rednecks and tourists.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:38:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Wyoming for sure. They are contained to Jackson.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Which ever one has fewer Californians at any given point in time.

Wyoming for sure. They are contained to Jackson.

Well, and Casper, and the I80 corridor, Cheyenne, Laramie, Rock Springs, Evanston.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:39:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote

It's all true

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:40:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Youre a Texan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Youre a Texan.

Believe it or not, the percentage of vehicles on the road that are pickup trucks was higher in south Florida than it is in DFW. If I had a use for a truck, I'd own one, but I don't need it to drive back and forth to work.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:40:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Having spent a lot of time in both states, I'd pick Montana.
View Quote

He's right you know

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:42:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Well, it is ranked #2 for suicides per capita.

Wyoming is #1.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Montana is a terrible place. No one should come here.

Well, it is ranked #2 for suicides per capita.

Wyoming is #1.

I know why.  I am barely here and may not be tomorrow.  I leave all my irrigating to the next poor sumbitch.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:42:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

MT has no sales tax.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
they're about the same.

WY has no state income tax, IIRC, so it has that going for it.

MT has no sales tax.

So just live on the border. Work in WY, do your shopping in MT.
win-win!

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:45:07 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

If I were to get a pretty healthy chunk of cash, I would move to Northern Wyoming around the Tetons in a heartbeat. I loved Montana when I stayed there for a Summer, but Wyoming just felt better, more homey.
View Quote

All the peons that like Jackson live in ID.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:45:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Or 80%

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:48:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Personally, I'd raise me up a crop of dental floss.

Yessir. Raising it up, waxing it down...in a little white box that I could sell uptown, maybe?

Ahh, that'd be the life. Just me and my pygmy pony, over by a dental floss bush.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will you raise rabbits?

Personally, I'd raise me up a crop of dental floss.

Yessir. Raising it up, waxing it down...in a little white box that I could sell uptown, maybe?

Ahh, that'd be the life. Just me and my pygmy pony, over by a dental floss bush.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:49:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same can be said about Wyoming.
Nothing to see there, move along.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:50:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Both are beautiful places - but I couldn't handle the winters in either state.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:51:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Wyoming is great.  Although all the pictures you see are pretty much from one region.  I've lived here 10 years so far.  I have 10 more years until I can retire.  I'd like to move south and by the ocean.  I'm sick of cold and snow.

The wind gusts around here can reach 100+ mph.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:53:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really though, I spent 10 or so years of my 24 year life in Wyoming. Met my wife there and we both desperately want to move back (Gillette/Sheridan area with a preference towards Sheridan because it's green).
Unfortunately there are few jobs and with the coal mines all cutting back there's even fewer jobs.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:56:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Wyoming sucks you'd much prefer Montana
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:56:38 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Wyoming is great.  Although all the pictures you see are pretty much from one region.  I've lived here 10 years so far.  I have 10 more years until I can retire.  I'd like to move south and by the ocean.  I'm sick of cold and snow.

The wind gusts around here can reach 100+ mph.
View Quote

This is WY elk hunting nowadays.  The wolves have chased them into the sagebrush desert.  Just barren and fucking cold.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:57:25 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I lived in Wyoming for ~5 years.

I really, really, really love the state. I'd live there now if I could, but the very things that make it so awesome, are some of the same things that make it nigh impossible for somebody in my profession to live there. There just isn't enough opportunity.
View Quote

You could always grow dental floss.

Beat me to it.

Living in MT, WY or ID your either independently wealthy or work for the govt, do something on the internet, or you become a jack of all trades.

I made out guiding hunts and pulling mules, guiding fishing and float trips, logging, planting trees, working on forest fires, doing carpentry work, tending bar, cooking and other odd jobs.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:03:48 PM EDT
[#31]
No Vacancy
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:05:22 PM EDT
[#32]

Wy has lost population because Obama has succeeded in killing coal and Saudi has killed oil and gas.  To make it more special, farm commodities are below the the cost of production.

We have tourism and hunting.  People are fleeing a sinking ship.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:07:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

win-win!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
they're about the same.

MT has no sales tax.

win-win!

That's what Sheridan Wyoming does every weekend, spend it in Billings.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:09:08 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

they're about the same.

MT has no sales tax.

win-win!

And the entire Big Horn Basin.  There is no shopping in WY.  Your wives will leave you.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:11:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

And the entire Big Horn Basin.  There is no shopping in WY.  Your wives will leave you.

View Quote

I know.

My Cousin is near Dayton.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:13:13 PM EDT
[#36]
I-25 turns into WY every weekend when Cheyenners go shopping

They even buy their guns here.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:17:34 PM EDT
[#37]
My new neighbors are from Wyoming ....Great folks and both hubby and wife like guns.

They are the kind of transplants to Virginia I wish there were a whole hell of a lot more of.

Sadly they are the exception to the general transplant rule.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:18:41 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I know.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I know.

Yeah?  My wife worked in Dayton.  I am talking to a gal who works in Dayton.  Grandkids play Dayton all the time in sports.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:20:16 PM EDT
[#39]

WYOMING welcomes YOU!

Keep The High Ground,

G
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:25:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Maybe even a rec-reashunal vehi-cul?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe even a rec-reashunal vehi-cul?

You know, you might need two wives.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:26:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm guessing the pics of scenery on the internet only show the good parts.

A large part of Wyoming is a barren waste land, not a tree for miles, with wind that never stops blowing.  Seriously.  The other part is owned by the Jackson billionaires.
View Quote

Yeah, want to live up that way, but those winds in Wyoming, you can keep them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:33:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Both Eastern Wyoming and Eastern Montana are rough, pretty flat, the wind blows a lot and mountains are almost non-existent.

There are way more mountains in Western Montana, and a lot more property in those areas for sale.

I like Wyoming but Montana beats it hands down.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:34:57 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm guessing the pics of scenery on the internet only show the good parts.

A large part of Wyoming is a barren waste land, not a tree for miles, with wind that never stops blowing.  Seriously.  The other part is owned by the Jackson billionaires.

Yeep.  Hasn't got above 50 all week.  Snowed a few times.  And I am at 4450 elevation.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:38:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:41:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

qft
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:42:36 PM EDT
[#46]
My Mom was born in MT and I have family there. Growing up we would go to MT every other summer. I love MT, will have house and retire there in the future.

WY is nearly a barren wasteland. Interstate has signs that says no services for 70 miles. Better not be on empty. The pretty parts of WY are Yellowstone and the Teton areas and that's only like 1/10 th of the state.

MT can be pretty barren too. About 1/2 the state is like WY.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:44:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Being born and raised in Montana then moving to work in Wyoming for several years......you should look into North Dakota.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:46:38 PM EDT
[#48]
I wonder how much real estate is along the coast of Mexico?
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:47:27 PM EDT
[#49]
WY and MT are a myth created by Hollywood and the hunting magazines.  There is no there there.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:48:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, except maybe for Browning, an outsider moving there might feel welcome.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top