BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 2:14:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Juries are made up of 12 people so dumb they couldn't even think up an excuse to get out of jury duty.
View Quote

Well in Florida there only 6 on a jury. And I actually enjoyed it. If I hadn't been there the little dirt bag, who was obviously guilty,his only excuse was he didn't mean to LOL!. He'd  have gotten off because of the other bleeding hearts on the fucking jury. He was charged with resisting arrest with violence and assault and battery on a police officer. His own attorney basically said he did it, so did his own witness.
One guy was a cop hater who thought it was completely reasonable to take the word of a dirtbag with a criminal record over a cop. Another was a black guy who wanted to let him off just because he was black and then there were a couple of women who couldn't make a decision. Was almost comical how bad both the defense attorney and the prosecuting attorney were. Nothing like what you see on TV.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:01:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, but I managed to escape it. Turns out I had the wrong county on my DL

The county line is less than a half mile from my house, and the rest of my town is inside it so I assumed I was as well. Turns out I'm not.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:48:01 AM EDT
[#3]
3 times. The first time I was on a jury that ended up being a hung jury. I was the only one that took the time to read the jury instructions.

The second time I was called I got excused since I was looking for work

The third time was last week and I am now in a large pool for a big case.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 4:02:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm 24 and I've received at least 4 letters.
3 times I called in the night before and my group wasn't needed. Fourth time I got selected for the jury but pretty quickly got the boot when they asked what I was in school for
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 4:51:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I have been called about three or four times in last fifteen years. Was only in the country one time and was selected for a drug case. Guy was selling out of his house. Sold to undercover cops a few times. All on hidden cameras. Also vids of him selling to a bunch of other people. He had a shit load of priors. Not sure why he went for a jury except he wanted to waste more people's time and hoped we would let him off. Did not go his way. No idea of his sentence as that was decided later on. Judge thanked us for our time.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 4:57:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been called 3 times and chosen for 3 juries. I would never try to "get out of it" any more than I would try to get out of voting. I would hope that if I ever needed a jury of my peers good people would be there to do the same.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 5:10:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes, I was called once out of the 3 times I was notified. The accused pled after 15 minutes in the court room being stared at by us lol.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 5:20:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I've gotten two letters, one for Federal, one for county. Never even got a phone call after submitting the questionnaire. I would love to serve on a jury.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:25:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Twice when I lived in INDY; big waste of time. Since I moved out of Marion Co. once in 25yrs. Ended up as foreman on that one; young guy and his girl were drunk and he roughed her up, the whole thing was wrapped up by mid afternoon, easy peasy. That's the kind of case & efficiency you get when you live in a rural county!
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:30:55 AM EDT
[#10]
I got a letter last year- my first ever, at 35 years old. I didn't end up having to go- you had to call in every day and see if you had to report the next day. After being told I didn't have to report four days in a row, I was dismissed.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:37:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Yes, several times.

It's a civic responsibility, so I go without being a pissy little crybaby about it.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:45:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm 56 and have only been called once, but not chosen.

My husband is 52 and has been called repeatedly, but not chosen.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:15:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm forty-mumble.

Been called twice, have never gotten past voir dire.  In the first case the prosecutor knew me, the second one was a shooting/homicide by a prohibited person and I hold an FFL so I got excused.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:17:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Several times.  Never had to serve.  They tell you to check after a certain time on the Friday before and I've always been told I'm not needed.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:21:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Seems I get a summons about yearly. Got it coming up on May 16th.

Never actually sat on a jury.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:12:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:16:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Age you were called to jury duty or current age?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:20:05 PM EDT
[#18]
3 times to date and I'm only 40. First one was county/civil when I was 23. Second time was county/civil when I was 32. Third time was federal/criminal last September (federal summons had a two-week window during which you could be called any day )

I was never picked to serve on a jury in any three of these instances, but I'm beginning to become annoyed with it. You still have to show up and do the all-day jury pool process.

I was especially irked last summer when I received my federal summons. I went about in small talk inquiring of people I knew -- all educated, employed, and registered voters -- how often they themselves had been selected and was shocked to learn that not a single one of them had ever been picked even once in their lives to date

My wife -- "I'd love to be picked!" Me -- "I wish I could send you as a surrogate..."

If the process is genuinely random as they claim, I carry some sort of cloud over me. Maybe playing the lottery is advisable

I know and respect that our system is a civic duty and privilege; I wish that they could do a better job of making sure every citizen is equally miserable with it.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 2:12:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Twice.

Our county you are on call for two weeks.

1st time I never even had to go in.

2nd time called in right away for Monday morning.  40-50 potential juror names go into a rotating basket and get picked randomly by a clerk.  I was number three to be called.  Spent the next four hours in voir dire for a criminal trial.  Was expecting to get booted right away as I used to work as a reserve deputy for this particular county for 10 years and knew all of the bailiffs in the room and several deputies and fire personnel that were going to be called as witnesses.  Had never met this particular judge before but know a couple others.  Made it all the way through voir dire to their final picks but my name was not called for the final jury.  They also excused a doctor and a lawyer in the end.   Still had to call in for the rest of the 2 weeks but never had to go back in.  Several weeks later I get a check in the mail for $11.

During voir dire, they excused one woman because of "anxiety".  One other was excused since he did not think he could be partial because of a similar incident that happened to a friend, that involved a death.  One more that was excused because his son was currently in jail and had been prosecuted by the very same assistant county attorney that was trying this case.

Trial was for arson of an occupied building.  Judge said the trial was going to last 2-3 weeks.  The little bit they told us of it did sound intriguing and I would have liked to have seen the evidence.  Found out later that he was found guilty.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:02:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
3 times to date and I'm only 40. First one was county/civil when I was 23. Second time was county/civil when I was 32. Third time was federal/criminal last September (federal summons had a two-week window during which you could be called any day )
I was never picked to serve on a jury in any three of these instances, but I'm beginning to become annoyed with it. You still have to show up and do the all-day jury pool process.

I was especially irked last summer when I received my federal summons. I went about in small talk inquiring of people I knew -- all educated, employed, and registered voters -- how often they themselves had been selected and was shocked to learn that not a single one of them had ever been picked even once in their lives to date

My wife -- "I'd love to be picked!" Me -- "I wish I could send you as a surrogate..."

If the process is genuinely random as they claim, I carry some sort of cloud over me. Maybe playing the lottery is advisable

I know and respect that our system is a civic duty and privilege; I wish that they could do a better job of making sure every citizen is equally miserable with it.

View Quote

I am in this camp.
I've been called so many times, random my ass.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:06:51 PM EDT
[#21]
36, four times.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:09:25 PM EDT
[#22]
3 times.

Always answered questions in a manner that I was dismissed from further consideration.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:40:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
3 times.

Always answered questions in a manner that I was dismissed from further consideration.
View Quote

A troubling fact about juries is you're likely being judged by the twelve people not smart enough to get out of it.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:42:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:44:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:45:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Had the phone call thing once
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Several times.  Never had to serve.  They tell you to check after a certain time on the Friday before and I've always been told I'm not needed.
Had the phone call thing once

That would have been nice. Both times I had to sit at the court house all day only to be told we were not needed at the end of it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:47:54 PM EDT
[#27]
3x. Twice I was in College and got out of it because I didn't want to miss classes or tests. The 3rd time I showed up, knew one f the defendants, and expressly didn't get picked (I think the Def thought I was in LE... Bummer, because it was a gun-case and a really hot girl from my pool got selected, we we're really hitting it off.)

I honestly wouldn't mind doing it... But, I don't like sitting around for 8hrs (90% of that in a waiting room) and then being told to go home.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:49:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Used to get out of it all the time when I was a reserve deputy.  Last time, it was about 5-6 years since I did that, so they grabbed me.  Ended up sitting a medical malpractice case.  Dr. was innocent, lawyer and plaintiff were habitual in their efforts to sue doctors.  Found that tidbit out after the case, in which there was an immediate and unanimous not guilty verdict.  I ended up being the foreman.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:50:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Have received 4 summons, all before 30. Never had to serve.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Called twice.  First time I was assigned to a 2 week trial dealing with dog fighting and marijuana sales.  The guy was offered a plea deal, didn't take it and wound up with something like 17 years because kids were in the next room as he sold the pot.  Second time was 2 weeks on a local Grand Jury.  Interesting, but pretty much a formality.  If I get called again, I'd like to do a federal Grand Jury.  Cases are a little more intense, interesting, etc.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:57:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yes and it sucks fucking balls. This county you are on call for four months. Every case that goes to trial everyone on call is summoned to the courthouse and they do their fag noir or whatever it is called to pick the jury. Waste of fucking time.

4 fucking months of that shit all the while under duress from the gestapo if you dont show.

Such bullshit.
View Quote

The federal court here is a six month stint.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:06:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Sat on on jury for a 2 day trial once. The perp had stolen a car, was spotted by police and chased. Perp wrecked the car and was tazed and arrested at the scene. You would think this would be an easy case for a jury. When you get to deliberations you realize that one (or more) people in the room have oatmeal for brains. We deliberated for four hours over the most mundane detail.  Did I mention that the perp had just gotten out of jail...the day before...for grand theft auto?

Got called recently too. Murder trial with possible death penalty. I was excused during voir dire for child care reasons since the trial was going to last 3-4 weeks and I didn't have anyone to transport my young children to and from school. I kept tabs on the trial after though. Guilty and sentenced to death plus 43 years.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:32:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Got called every other year living in the city of Baltimore from age 18-30.

Same with my parents, and both of my brothers (while they were city residents anyway, and my Dad had a great time explaining why my younger brother couldn't show up because he was in fucking IRAQ.

My theory is that there's only a handful of people in  Baltimore City who are actually eligible to serve on a jury, so we just got called more frequently.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:40:19 PM EDT
[#34]
More times than I can count, probably 15-20 times I'd guess.  

And I've never yet sat on a jury.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:48:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Yep, called once and served. We (the jury) found some shithead gangster guilty of first degree murder. Victim was a 20 something woman. Trial lasted almost 2 months, I was sequestered for 3 days.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:56:31 PM EDT
[#36]
I have received several letters to attend but they have all been canceled prior to court except the one time i flat out forgot to go
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:58:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have received several letters to attend but they have all been canceled prior to court except the one time i flat out forgot to go
View Quote

I was out of town on a photography trip when a summons came in the mail-two days after the case was supposed to be heard. Got lucky, called in to explain I received the notice late and was told the case got postponed anyway.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:04:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:14:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Yes, just finished serving on a 8 week murder trial.  Hung jury.

RF
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Juries are made up of 12 people so dumb they couldn't even think up an excuse to get out of jury duty.
View Quote

Which is why we get some truly dumb verdicts.

I just got my first call....I'm torn on getting out of it.

EDIT- I'm 55.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:59:20 PM EDT
[#41]
A couple of times but was not picked.

One was a murder trial.

Other was drug charges.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:02:32 PM EDT
[#42]
No less than 4 times, sat one; put away a child molester.

Was deferred one time(.mil obligation)apparently the Sheriff's office didn't get the word, the Sheriff called my house said if I didn't get my ass to the court house he was sending a deputy to arrest me. Had to explain my deferment, damn.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#43]
First time on a courts martial board, age 19.  38 for a murder trial I was foreman of the jury.  50 for another jury with a attempted murder.  I was called at least  6 more times during those years but not chosen.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:27:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

My county pays $12 per day jury duty. Costs $20 per day to park in walking distance of the court house. If you have an employer who does not comp time for jury duty which is not a legal requirement it's not hard to understand why people are not enthused about serving. Especially when you can spend weeks on jury duty for a case to plead out before you ever actually do anything. Broken system that needs fixed.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this is why we have streets full of shithead unpunished offenders. No one wants to do their duty anymore.
I think people who duck out their duties should be able to sign a form that forfeits them to ever have a trial by jury.

My county pays $12 per day jury duty. Costs $20 per day to park in walking distance of the court house. If you have an employer who does not comp time for jury duty which is not a legal requirement it's not hard to understand why people are not enthused about serving. Especially when you can spend weeks on jury duty for a case to plead out before you ever actually do anything. Broken system that needs fixed.

Working shitty jobs does suck I am sure. I must assume every arfcommer that brags about getting out of Jury Duty is a bus boy as a Chinese buffet.Still though my comment was obviously not in reference to your scenario, but in response to the stupid saying I responded to.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:55:22 PM EDT
[#45]
A guy got pulled over in a small town in my county, he admitted he had no insurance to the cop and the potential jury.  He claimed he had no opportunity to get insurance because he had not been to town in months you can get insurance over the phone or the internet.  I pointed that out to the City Attorney I was dismissed.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:30:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or maybe 12 people who are conscience enough to not want to shirk their responsibilities.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 4:52:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Last jury I sat on there was a guy in the pool who literally had to travel 2000 miles to appear.  He let his displeasure be known to the judge a little too vocally and she threatened him with contempt.  He settled down and wasnt chosen. Kinda messed up.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:17:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Yes, then I called the expert witness a jackass and that I'm as much of an expert as he is (which was true, BTW).

Went home that same day.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:48:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Got a letter from IL two weeks after escaping to FL.
Sent a copy of my FL DL and was told "well then you're not eligable" as if I was somehow annoying them.
Fuck IL.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 6:23:28 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm over 50 and have never even been contacted.

My Wife is over 60 and has likewise never been contacted.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top